PDA

View Full Version : The Fire Boomerang and other items:

ShadowTiger
09-25-2006, 01:03 PM
I was just wondering what you all thought of having the Fire Boomerang in NeoFirst. What are your thoughts?

Personally, I'm somewhat against it, because, as Cloral once said, it's overpowered. Rocksfan13 has a secret he wants to use with it, but I'm not sure one secret would be worth all the "cheap damage" it'd do to everything.

Thoughts?

_L_
09-25-2006, 01:29 PM
The Fire Boomerang is an item exclusive to BS-Zelda item. Therefore, I propose that when ZScript is more item-aware, we make a script that mimics the rental shops from that BS-Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets game.

Essentially: a regular shop (one that can only be reached with the Magic Boomerang) sells the Fire Boomerang. Once you buy it, a timer is set. After 10 minutes of game time, it vanishes, and the Magic Boomerang replaces it.

As for a few other items:

* Super Bombs: I don't think they're that hot. If we're having them, make the ultimate maximum be 1, like it was in Zelda 3.
* Flippers: several areas of my overworld require this.
* Power Bracelet: a secret used for unlocking more secrets? (Also, at least one cave on my overworld requires this to enter.)
* Lens of Truth: eh, I wouldn't miss it.
* Magic Rod: we all love mirror puzzles, right?
* Slash: let's just make it an initial skill, like in every Zelda game since II.
* Wind Instrument: I only really want it so I can surprise everybody by having a single Whistle->Stairs room somewhere, and everyone goes "What?! Ya can't have a Whistle->Stairs room with better-than-NES palettes!" And I'm like "Too late, the trend has just been bucked!" Ahh, good times.
See Also: Playable Ocarina Script in the future?

ShadowTiger
09-25-2006, 01:36 PM
The Fire Boomerang is an item exclusive to BS-Zelda item. Therefore, I propose that when ZScript is more item-aware, we make a script that mimics the rental shops from that BS-Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets game.

Essentially: a regular shop (one that can only be reached with the Magic Boomerang) sells the Fire Boomerang. Once you buy it, a timer is set. After 10 minutes of game time, it vanishes, and the Magic Boomerang replaces it.Sounds awesome. o.o PARTICULARLY awesome in the face of Rocksfan13's suggestion! I love it! :p

As for a few other items:

* Super Bombs: I don't think they're that hot. If we're having them, make the ultimate maximum be 1, like it was in Zelda 3.Sounds good to make too. Note that this may require that the maximum amount of bombs be set to 4 for the duration of the entire quest. :shrug:

* Flippers: several areas of my overworld require this.Why not just let Link start with the flippers? :shrug: There isn't very much water in the game anyway. <.<

* Power Bracelet: a secret used for unlocking more secrets? (Also, at least one cave on my overworld requires this to enter.)No objections here, I guess. I didn't have much planned for them anyway really.

* Lens of Truth: eh, I wouldn't miss it.It can be nice sometimes, but not at all necessary really.

* Magic Rod: we all love mirror puzzles, right?The Wand? This, I don't really know what to do with. Maybe make it a purchaseable item? :shrug:

* Slash: let's just make it an initial skill, like in every Zelda game since II.Surely. I had a whole miniquest planned out to teach Link slash, but I guess it won't work out. :p

EDIT: BTW, look at the house between the southern Beach and the Mystic Forest. On the western shore of the beach, there's a stone house. I hid a stair combo behind the pillar closest to the house too. What do you think that whole area should be devoted to? IMHO, it could/should be some sort of puzzle for one of the three magic items.

_L_
09-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Why not just let Link start with the flippers? There isn't very much water in the game anyway. <.<

THE RAFT!

...I mean, er, the raft. Sorry. Also, Lake Hylia.

ShadowTiger
09-25-2006, 01:53 PM
Well if you're thinking about level 2's water, that water will be DANGEROUS to swim in, so thankfully, you don't need water to sail across on a raft; just a dock combo and a bunch of raft flags. ;-D ... hoorah. C-Dawg turned his raft into flying boots in DoY. Not one water combo (Or even graphic) was used.

_L_
09-25-2006, 10:30 PM
Well if you're thinking about level 2's water, that water will be DANGEROUS to swim inIt will be boiling? (If you consult my L2 plan, you'll note that the fire dungeon has more raft routes than the ice dungeon.)

Now for some more item plans!

Blue Ring -> Goron/Subrosian Tunic: in level 2, there are going to be a few rooms which are superheated. Using the future power of item-aware scripting, these rooms will display a counter that counts down and damages Link if it hits 0, unless he has this item. It will be sold in the same shop that sells the L2 dungeon map. Also, the blue ring palette will be made red.
Red Ring -> Zora Tunic: Only two things here: the red ring palette will be made blue (or purple), and this item will be found (sold?) in Zora's Domain, which is upriver from Lake Hylia.
Magical Sword -> Four Sword: Now here's something. In order to obtain this item, you need to search the land and collect the Four Elements (custom misc. items) and then take the White Sword to a very secret place in the Mystic Woods. Once you have the Four Sword, you can make use of splitting pads, which function much as they do in Minish Cap: when you swing your sword while on one of them, three clones will be created on the other three panels, and they will copy Link's movements exactly until they take damage or Link walks them into a wall.

ShadowTiger
09-25-2006, 10:39 PM
It will be boiling? (If you consult my L2 plan, you'll note that the fire dungeon has more raft routes than the ice dungeon.)Well both waters will be dangerous; either boiling hot or frigid cold. :shrug: Can't swim in both, so why let him? >.>

Blue Ring -> Goron/Subrosian Tunic: in level 2, there are going to be a few rooms which are superheated. Using the future power of item-aware scripting, these rooms will display a counter that counts down and damages Link if it hits 0, unless he has this item. It will be sold in the same shop that sells the L2 dungeon map. Also, the blue ring palette will be made red... Awesome. The shop should be somewhere near L2 then, I'd suppose. .. Maybe?

Red Ring -> Zora Tunic: Only two things here: the red ring palette will be made blue (or purple), and this item will be found (sold?) in Zora's Domain, which is upriver from Lake Hylia.This, I'll trust to you, since I never planned for a Zora's Domain. :p Do what you'd like. ^^;

Magical Sword -> Four Sword: Now here's something. In order to obtain this item, you need to search the land and collect the Four Elements (custom misc. items) and then take the White Sword to a very secret place in the Mystic Woods. Once you have the Four Sword, you can make use of splitting pads, which function much as they do in Minish Cap: when you swing your sword while on one of them, three clones will be created on the other three panels, and they will copy Link's movements exactly until they take damage or Link walks them into a wall.An astonishing idea, and I'm amazed and floored that you have the ability and knowledge to code such a thing. My hat is indeed flying off to you good sir. The L2 Sword is found within the ancient underground Hyrule Castle? Where would the L3 Sword be assembled within the Mystic Woods?

Nicholas Steel
09-26-2006, 01:40 AM
not sure if this will be do-able in the future.....

if the fire boomerang is found in rocksfan13 area that requires it then i don't see why you cant use scripts to make it so the fire boomerang is only usable on the screens relating to the area it is required in..... i see a timer as a nuisance.

_L_
09-26-2006, 06:56 AM
An astonishing idea, and I'm amazed and floored that you have the ability and knowledge to code such a thing. My hat is indeed flying off to you good sir.Knowledge, yes. Ability, well, that's up to both me and the future scripting system. If, as it was with Minish Cap, we only allow Link and the clones use of the sword while they're active - with the B button being used to dismiss the clones - then it should be easy for the three clones to emulate Link's physical interaction with the screen. (Of course, we currently lack a combo type that harms enemies, or a way to emulate Link's sword slash when applied to a combo. But then, perhaps the selective use of splitting pads may allow us to conceal the latter shortcoming.)

The L2 Sword is found within the ancient underground Hyrule Castle? Where would the L3 Sword be assembled within the Mystic Woods?
Well, remember when I presented for your gratification a MIDI such as this? (http://www.greyfire.org/~l/sicilienne.mid) In that vein, visualise a dark, misty wooded area resembling Zelda 3's Skull Woods, containing a fiendish side-warp/path maze - at the end of which is some sort of pedestal, and four pillars adorned with the symbols of each element. Also, an NPC who explains that "though the Four Sword was once wielded for the purposes of evil [referring to Saraifour], in this dire time it could perhaps be used for good."

Though it won't be very large, it'll be on a different Map entirely from that of the regular Mystic Woods. You can go there by playing the Wind Instrument on screen 20 of map 5 (causing a Gasha tree (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=93269) on the left side of the screen to shrink into the ground. P.S - Add the vanishing Gasha tree to the tileset.)

rocksfan13
09-26-2006, 07:49 PM

Essentially: a regular shop (one that can only be reached with the Magic Boomerang) sells the Fire Boomerang. Once you buy it, a timer is set. After 10 minutes of game time, it vanishes, and the Magic Boomerang replaces it.

I love this. When and if it's available, I want to know how it's done. Thanks for asking Josh.

Imprisoned
11-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Umm...

...Yes!

Nimono
11-09-2006, 08:27 PM
Super Bombs may be powerful, but what if you found a way to only allow one to buy ONE AT A TIME? They could hold many more, but only be able to BUY one at a time. To top it all off, make it so Super Bombs have to be used A LOT, enough so it effectively lowers its usefulness. Plus, once we're able to script items (and I'm sure 2.5 won't be released until we're able to do that. :P ), you should make an "Ice Rod". Or, better yet, do what I did in Nayru's Quest (I only released it at PureZC. :P ): In that quest, I recreated OoA's Spirit's Grave in my own way. Instead of the Power Bracelet being the dungeon item, it was my own custom item- A Piece of Power! Yes, make a Piece of Power! What I did with it was it was a layered tile on the first screen. Under it was a warp, which warped you to the second screen, which was on a different map, so I could have copies of each of the dungeon's rooms for the "Power-Up". Upon warping, you grabbed Misc. Item 1 (Piece of Power item). What did it do? It allowed you to shatter the pots with your Sword (Or Heart Staff, in Nayru's Quest). All I did was changed the combos to those that had the Flower combo type. YOU, however, could do better- Make it increase your overall strength for items temporarily. It may have been a basic Custom Item, but it was fun to make nonetheless. I never did find out if anyone liked it, though. Do what you will with my idea, but expect it in Nayru's Quest in ALL of the "Past Dungeons"(Past Dungeons=OoA's dungeons. I'm recreating them all, except Level 7. I HATED it.). :P