PDA

View Full Version : lol @ PETA

ZTC
09-25-2006, 12:23 PM
PETA takes bite out of Six Flags cockroach munch

GURNEE — One man's publicity stunt is apparently another man's outrage, as the activist group People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) is calling on Six Flags Great America to cancel a live cockroach-eating contest planned for next month's Fright Fest.

"We have been flooded with calls and e-mails from all around the country about this," said PETA spokeswoman Jackie Vergerio, who studies issues related to animals used for entertainment.

Vergerio said late Friday that "we are in the midst right now of contacting all 12 Six Flags parks participating in (the cockroach-eating). We're asking them to cancel (this) gratuitously cruel practice, which is really just a tired gag from 'Fear Factor.'"

Six Flags officials announced this week that visitors to Fright Fest 2006 will be offered a chance to eat a live Madagascar hissing cockroach, a three-inch version of the Blattodea order that is native to the island of Madagascar, but raised on farms for use as pets and feed.

Those taking and successfully executing the challenge will be given four Fast Lane passes, which allow entry to the front of the line at any ride in the park. The eating will take place in the Southwest Territory's Mission Stage on a first-come, first-served basis.

In addition, on the night of Oct. 13, Great America plans to host an open-invitation attempt to break the Guinness world record for most Madagascar cockroaches — baked in this case, not live — eaten in a single minute. The record of 36 roaches has stood for the last five years.

In a letter dated Friday and addressed to Great America General Manager Hank Salemi, Vergerio described the concept as "barbaric" and wrote that PETA asks "that you consider the cruelty associated with this promotion and either cancel it or replace it with a harmless alternative."

"As a corporation that owns animal theme parks, Six Flags has no business encouraging the inhumane treatment of any animal," the letter states. "Presumably, the cockroach was chosen for this 'gag' because of the species' extremely negative image. However, this much-maligned invertebrate possesses keen senses, is quite docile, and has an amazing evolutionary history.

"Every creature on earth is ideally suited to its purpose, whether we know what that purpose is or not. It is unlikely that the purpose of Madagascar hissing cockroaches is to serve as appetizers for an unimaginative marketing scheme."

Great America Public Relations Manager Jim Taylor said Friday that he had not received the letter or heard of any animal-rights protests over the event, but he added that cockroaches are essentially no different from any other animal used as food in the park.

"It is important to point out that cockroaches do provide nutritional value. (They) are high in protein and they have no fat," Taylor said. "They are a common part of a lot of other diets in the world, (and) we do eat some things in this part of the world that might be frowned upon in other parts of the world."

Vergerio also questioned the practice of staging live bug-eating in front of children, writing that "Six Flags is meant to be a safe place for family fun, not a place to teach children insensitivity to animals of that 'might makes right.'"

Taylor said that the cockroach eatings are "not going to be forced on anybody," and he noted that Fright Fest will have two designated children's areas and a general theme that he described as "family by day, fright by night."

Taylor also pointed out that Great America and the other Six Flags parks staging the contest during their Fright Fests will not be the first to do so — Wild Waves & Enchanted Village, a Six Flags-owned park in suburban Seattle, had the same eat-and-ride promotion at its 2005 Fright Fest.

"Seattle tried it," he said, "and they actually ran out of cockroaches."
(source) http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/newssun/top/5_1_WA23_SIXFLAGS_S10923.htm
I saw this on the news last night and lmao'd
Just thought I'd share ;)

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-25-2006, 12:32 PM
PETA asks "that you consider the cruelty associated with this promotion and either cancel it or replace it with a harmless alternative."

Tofu roaches, anyone?

"Presumably, the cockroach was chosen for this 'gag' because of the species' extremely negative image. However, this much-maligned invertebrate possesses keen senses, is quite docile, and has an amazing evolutionary history.

I find it hillarious that PETA attempts to persuade Six Flags to cancel the event by reminding them that cockroaches are just misunderstood and can see in the dark.

ShadowTiger
09-25-2006, 12:45 PM
Cockroaches aren't kosher so I can't eat them. :shakeno:

waaa... [/jew] (Tofu roaches sound like an interesting idea for the breakfast table though. Got whiny kids? Feed the a tofuroach. ^^; )

Cockroaches, eh? Depends on your overall definition of "alive and sentient." Anyone could say that though.

Mitsukara
09-25-2006, 12:53 PM
lol @ http://seriouslygood.kdweeks.com/images/chicken%20pita.gif

Seriously though, yuck. My parents' house should become a themepark, I wouldn't mind "running out" of them.

That said... they're attempting to stop theme parks from doing this in limited quantities, but not the mass genocide of cockroaches most people (who aren't lazy bums... uh, hypothetically) attempt to enforce on their homes? I'm not too worried about cockroaches, it'd take a hell of a lot to make them anywhere near extinct. I think in this case their argument may be a matter of principal, though; but I don't see how roach-eating holds any special symbology that say, Good Ol' Jimbo's Mega Bar-B-Que (I hope that's not a real name) would have. "OMG, let's eat tons and tons of yummy cows! Yay humans!" is better than "OMG let's eat tons and tons of nasty cockroaches! Yay humans!" apparently?

Jigglysaint
09-25-2006, 01:25 PM
This looks like a case where PETA's been smoking one too many roaches.

Beldaran
09-25-2006, 01:29 PM
http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/bigpot6.jpg

I wonder if this applies to cockroaches?

anyway, a big "lol" to the whole sitch.

Aegix Drakan
09-25-2006, 01:50 PM
ooookaaaaay...

well, if peta didn't shut this down, the Health assosiation would! eating conckroaches...eww...

but still, it's not like tey're EXTERMINATING them, or FORCING people to eat them!

Why doesn't PETA just outlaw the killing of cockroaches completely while they're at it?

ShadowTiger
09-25-2006, 01:54 PM
PETA just likes to complain.

Then again, if you started eating my dog I'd be likely to complain too.

I guess every cockroach is like their dog, only morally tied to them rather than via ownership.

Kairyu
09-25-2006, 02:00 PM

I guess every cockroach is like their dog, only morally tied to them rather than via ownership.
Oh, well, in that case we'd better give them all back.

erm2003
09-25-2006, 05:39 PM
I want to know what people are calling PETA saying "Save the Cockroaches!"

A creature that can live for days without a head until it dies from starvation is kinda freaky in my book. Let them chow down.

Jigglysaint
09-25-2006, 06:25 PM
PETA can go suck my cockroach.

Okay, enough with the bad roach puns.

Rainman
09-25-2006, 06:35 PM

Seems to me you are making the point that cultural norms play a role in the morality of animal eating. Cockroaches hold no value in our culture and are even a nuisance. Therefore killing them is not considered immoral. A dog has value as a pet and in some cases a work animal. Killing them is seen as a loss.

I think this goes to show that the morality of killing animals is primarily based in its effect on society or individual people. A butcher making meat to feed families is a good moral deed since it's beneficial to the society. A person killing someone's dog would be committing an immoral act because that dog has an owner that loves him. Torturing of small woodland animals may objectively seem to affect no one or nothing, but the animal. However, since animal cruelty is often linked to antisocial, sociopathic behaviour, that too is an immoral act.

This little contest hardly affects anyone. It's (debatebly) just a fun little contest that would result in nothing more than a few uneasy stomachs.

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-25-2006, 09:59 PM
That said... they're attempting to stop theme parks from doing this in limited quantities, but not the mass genocide of cockroaches most people (who aren't lazy bums... uh, hypothetically) attempt to enforce on their homes?

PETA is a political activist group, and always goes after the stories that will generate the most attention and get the most press, and not the ones that will do the most good. They're sort of like terrorists, in that instead of trying to initiate dialogue and democratically change society, they broadcast an extreme, often hateful message in an attempt to wear down the opposition. PETA won't change anyone's mind, save for the easily impressionable, but eventually people will get tired of their antics and give in just to get them to shut up.

And as a general rule, if you act angry enough, society will eventually start to think you might be justified.