PDA

View Full Version : Okay, start the caves...

ShadowTiger
09-21-2006, 07:49 PM
Since I haven't gotten a single "Oh, okay, I'm working on the caves now then." response, I'll just start a thread indicating such a wish.

Start the caves (http://www.armageddongames.net/showpost.php?p=1091770&postcount=12).

If you guys need any other questions answered or anything else, don't hesitate to ask. :)

lord_jamitossi
09-21-2006, 08:12 PM
Is there anything I can help out with? I'm not wonderful with ZC but I'd be willing to do something small and perhaps tedious. I've been working on a couple MIDIs lately, they should be done within a day or two and I'll let you use them if you like them at such a time. I've been watching this sub-forum for a while and I want to do my part.

Also, how does _L_ still only have one little green box for reputation? The guy is freaking brilliant!

_L_
09-22-2006, 02:18 AM
I haven't started my cave yet, but I have been doing overworld screens (and have concocted an overly ambitious plan involving Lake Hylia, Zora's Domain and the river in Forest Temple. But more on that later.)

However:
* Instead of having three pieces of heart scattered around my cave, I'd like to present one big challenge with one entire heart container at the end.
* The cave area that I've been allocated isn't quite the right size and shape for what I had in mind. What I didn't mention earlier was that I want the White Sword cave to be a ruined castle. Hyrule Castle, in fact - ruined for twenty years prior to the start of NeoFirst, with all of its treasures and artifacts ransacked and scattered across the land, or else in the possession of the King of Thieves. Except for a sword lying in the basement. (A completely optional sword, mind you.)

I'll still use my allotted cave for that heart container business, but I'm saying that maybe if nobody else is using the right half of the map...

ShadowTiger
09-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Okay, you know what, _L_, ... ... here's what I'm thinking... Since I haven't done any work on the overworld while doing graphics, if you haven't edited any combos, just give me what you have of the overworld and I'll work with that. Export it as map data please, though I think I'll be using the biased import to keep whatever screens I drew. Did you modify anything I did? Did you modify, add, or delete combos? O_O If worse comes to worse, I can add them in manually provided with enough information about all of them, but that's rough work to do...

If you want a cave system, you can have the entire right half of map 11, including maps 12 and 13 for layers, (1/2, and 3/4/5/6 respectively.) I'm not sure where the King of Thieves' area will be now though.

Seeing as how your area will be rather unique, (And I want to make that area look as damn cool as possible,) ... I may as well give master control over the quest to you for a while, and let you do what you will with it and such. :p

EDIT:
Also, how does _L_ still only have one little green box for reputation? The guy is freaking brilliant!Trust me, I have been attempting to remedy this from day one, and it ails me that my efforts have been for naught, .. UNTIL TODAY. We need to start a foundation for giving _L_ more green. :blah:

Is there anything I can help out with? I'm not wonderful with ZC but I'd be willing to do something small and perhaps tedious. I've been working on a couple MIDIs lately, they should be done within a day or two and I'll let you use them if you like them at such a time. I've been watching this sub-forum for a while and I want to do my part.Oi, many thanks. We need boss midis, cave midis, "soft wind" midis, some midis for Level 3, .. some conflict midis where Zelda is evil, and a Zelda Boss Fight, as well as a Final Boss Midi.

I know that's a very, very generic and basic description, but since they're your midis in everyones' quest, nobody can really be picky. :p You're basically "Advertising" and "showing off" your work in a quest that's totally public domain.

Saffith
09-22-2006, 12:17 PM
If you guys need any other questions answered or anything else, don't hesitate to ask. :)I was wondering, are there any guidelines beyond what we've been given already? Specifically, would puzzles that require certain items be okay?
Also, we're not dealing with placing enemies, right?

We need boss midis, cave midis, "soft wind" midis, some midis for Level 3, .. some conflict midis where Zelda is evil, and a Zelda Boss Fight, as well as a Final Boss Midi.What's the theme for level 3, again?

ShadowTiger
09-22-2006, 02:49 PM
I was wondering, are there any guidelines beyond what we've been given already? Specifically, would puzzles that require certain items be okay?
Also, we're not dealing with placing enemies, right?You can do whatever you'd like with whatever combos or enemies you have. I'll tone down the difficulty as necessary, but if you have <combo> or <idea> already, by all means, use them. ^^; I'll still constantly be stressing the "No editing of the combos" rule, but hopefully that won't be too restricting for you guys. :) So sure, you can set up any puzzle that you'd like. Here is a list of items the player can have at any given time:

Before Level 1: Boomerang (VERY Hard to get...) L1 Sword Bombs S-Bombs Bow & Arrow (L1 Arrows Only.)
Before Level 2: Red Candle Hookshot L2 Sword(?) - Depends on _L_'s wishes.
Before Level 3: Raft Ladder Magic Hammer
After Level 3: All Arrows
Anything else, I guess you can add as you'd like. Even the boots, if you want, now that we have the screen flag toggling boot useage.

So you really don't even have to restrict item requirements by location. Backtracking would be a wonderful thing. Make any cave as simple or as complex as you'd like. You don't even have to follow "my plan" for each room, so long as you do get some sort of treasure like the HCP in there. Also give out as many of the "unnecessary" items (Rupees, arrows, magic refills, etc.) as you'd like in each room. The "No items" combo label is only for the BIGGER items; the permanent ones, like the HCP's, HC's, Magic Containers, etc.

OH!!! You can all substitute a Magic Container for an HCP if you'd like, ... or you can even substitute a full blown HC for an HCP if you want to make the requirements / puzzles hard enough for that particular cave. You can even link several caves as one in your allotted space if you want. It's your space. Do with it whatever you'd like. :) Be creative. ^^;

What's the theme for level 3, again?
Ah, here's the basic rundown:

It's the Temple of Light. It's been taken over by some evil entity (Not necessarily Ganondorf.) and nearly destroyed. It's in rubble, ... but still maintains its original sense of serenity and peace. Thus, inside the temple, there will be *NO* enemies and *NO* dangers. Whatsoever. None. Just rubble and some destruction; columns toppled, rugs torn up, tapestries slashed, light shining through cracks in the walls and ceiling, etc. It should still be far calmer than anywhere else in the game though. Hard to believe, obviously, ... but true.
The temple itself will occupy a 3x1 area in the upper right corner of the map. The entrance will be in the middle of that 3x1 range.
The Temple will have quite a few locked doors in it. Each door should be key-specific, so only one key will unlock that door. (Aside from a lockpick, of course.)
ALL of the treasures are in the Temple of Shadows, which occupies more or less the same "physical space" as the Temple of Light. It's the version of the world spreading outward spawned by the corrupted / dampened triforces.
Your mission is to warp between the temple of Light and the Temple of Shadows via special portals strategically placed within each. Some will be two-way and others will be one-way portals.
All items to be gotten are in the Temple of Shadows, and each key will show you a preview of the door it unlocks. Yes, this will use quite a few Dmaps, I expect. :p
You'll be getting the Silver and Golden Arrows. The Silver arrows will open the portals to the Temple of Shadow, and the Golden Arrows will unlock the portals back to the Temple of Light.
That said, I'm sure you can figure out how it'll be a fairly linear level.
Dark Nation is doing this level, apparently.
The final treasure for it is the Triforce of Wisdom, the third piece of the triforce. Once you get it, Zelda will accompany you to break the seal into the outside (Dark/Twisted) world and help you to remedy the situation.
Once you actually get outside though, Zelda runs past you and disappears out of sight.
She pops in to give cryptic taunts now and then while exploring the twisted world. You go from the dark entrance to the Temple of Shadows to the equivalent of your house.
You fight Zelda near your house. It's *quite* a cool battle. :blah:
The rest will remain mysterious until we get there.

Saffith
09-22-2006, 05:14 PM
Hm, one last thing... Are scripts out of the question? I have a couple I'd like to use.

The ones I'm thinking of using would require new combos, but I could use existing ones as placeholders and let you add the new combos yourself.

ShadowTiger
09-22-2006, 05:25 PM
Hm, one last thing... Are scripts out of the question? I have a couple I'd like to use.

The ones I'm thinking of using would require new combos, but I could use existing ones as placeholders and let you add the new combos yourself.

That's absolutely permissible, and more than encouraged. They're your caves, and I'll pull out any of the stops that I have to so you guys can see them through to fruition.

At the moment, I think _L_ will use this .qst version as the "Master Version" and build bits of the overworld, so post any new combo information here when you can.

Do include the scripts themselves though, as they're useful for people to look at. Everything is totally public, etc.

lord_jamitossi
09-22-2006, 05:33 PM
You'll be getting the Silver and Golden Arrows. The Silver arrows will open the portals to the Temple of Shadow, and the Golden Arrows will unlock the portals back to the Temple of Light.

This... I like. That's totally a gimick that they would use in a real Zelda game. That's awesome.

I'm going to try to make two matching Midis for the light and dark parts. Nothing too complicated, keeping the peace and stuff, but eerie. Good stuff.
I've got one almost done, it's pretty fast-paced and in 5/4. It would be good for some sort of outer space thing, that the impression I get from it. It's not anything too complicated, but it's nice to listen to. Could be good for a boss battle if I throw in a couple more punches.

_L_
09-23-2006, 05:46 AM
L2 Sword(?) - Depends on _L_'s wishes.Well, I want it to be possible to defeat Lord Menace (the final boss) with only the Deku Stick as your A-button weapon. But if you want some crystal switches that require the pearly white power of the White Sword, go ahead.

The final treasure for it is the Triforce of Wisdom, the third piece of the triforce. Ech, no! Zelda starts the game holding the ∆ of Wisdom! It's how she knows all of the stuff that's going on! Her longterm exposure to it leads it her corruption! (Mental corruption, that is.) The "treasure" of the Temple of Shadows is the dark world gate itself. (Hence no definitive boss at that point?)

(I think I'll have to make a topic about the storyline.)

_L_
09-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Okay, you know what, _L_, ... ... here's what I'm thinking... Since I haven't done any work on the overworld while doing graphics, if you haven't edited any combos, just give me what you have of the overworld and I'll work with that. Export it as map data please,You asked for it! (Don't expect too much more than last time, though.)
http://www.greyfire.org/~l/Map4.map
http://www.greyfire.org/~l/Map5.map
http://www.greyfire.org/~l/Map6.map

Notes for Map5.map:

* Link's House is at 73. Link needs to be living just within the Mystic Woods - it's the reason why he's chosen by Zelda at the start of the game to go to the Forest Temple. (The Mystic Woods doesn't allow strangers into its deepest areas.)
* Cutting the grass in several places doesn't have quite the desired effect because I intend it to be replaced with the new Grass->Next combos.
* The under combo in 42 is on purpose! It's a trap of sorts!
* Yes, I know that the stumps in 42 are hookshot points. Do me a favour by making combo 4561 walkable along the top, and combo 6165 walkable along the bottom.
* Where does the river in 02 go? Well, in one direction it proceeds to Lake Hylia (area to be made). In the other direction it, um, joins the river that flows out of Forest Temple (Hey, that water has to lead somewhere.) That's why there's a Map9.map as well (http://www.greyfire.org/~l/Map9.map), even though all I added to Map 9 was one room that can't be accessed from the others.

The_Amaster
09-23-2006, 10:34 AM
So, what exactly do these caves need to contain, and are they one screen, many caves, or one cave over many screens(Like a mini dungeon), and do they have to have some specific item? Sorry if this is obvious to all but me.

rocksfan13
09-23-2006, 10:56 AM
So, what exactly do these caves need to contain, and are they one screen, many caves, or one cave over many screens(Like a mini dungeon), and do they have to have some specific item? Sorry if this is obvious to all but me.

I believe the total design is completely up to you. ST placed little hints in thereas where he wants certain things. Like the warps and the HCP's. Everything else is purely up to how you want to design it.

Anyway, I have started mine, Josh. Hopefully I will have it done soon.

Saffith
09-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Oh, yeah, I should probably post that I've started, too. Shouldn't be more than another day or two.

_L_
09-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Updated Map4.map, Map5.map and Map6.map with what I did today. (Check out screen 03 on map 5!) Links are four posts upward.

Also, a note: the way I'm designing the overworld is such that I'll need, er, quite a number of secret caves. So, don't be shy about partitioning your areas into several one-room or two-room caves.

ShadowTiger
09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
Sorry I was away; Jewish Holiday. Took the whole weekend.

Anyway, _L_, since you seem to have the drive for it, I give you permission to do whatever you need to do to and with the overworld. I've "approved" (AKA, added my vote for yes.) for your plot story thread ideas, so do what you need to, including to the combo page. Edit and add whatever you need to.

Upload your master version when you're done; don't even bother giving me .map files; -YOU- now hold the master version. That is what you'll upload whenever you're done. Take as long as you'd like to build whatever you want. Add maps at your leisure, and use layering as much as you want, At least according to that map plan we made in that other thread. (Yeah, that part is important. :p )

EDIT: ... just for consistency's sake, try to make a log of the combos that you've edited.

_L_
09-24-2006, 10:39 PM
Ya mean this? (http://users.sephiroth.ws/ST/zc/neofirst/NeoFirstMap0_13_06.gif) (There isn't very much in there.)

ShadowTiger
09-25-2006, 08:57 AM
I meant This whole thread (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=93576). The map layout not for NeoFirst, but for the .qst file; its maps for layers, etc. You can do whatever you'd like with the map as it stands now, filling in empty space as you find it, so long as the majority of what's there is preserved, I suppose.