PDA

View Full Version : No black out when changing DMap colors on a scrolling warp.

rocksfan13
09-18-2006, 09:59 PM
You'll notice if you go from one palette color to another on the same DMap, it will blackout and change palette colors. Can we get rid of this effect? It just doesn't make any sense.

For instance: I have a normal green grass terrain on the overworld that switches to a winter snowy terain via a scrolling warp. When you hit the warp, the screen blacks out and changes color. On the same DMap.

DarkDragon
09-18-2006, 10:44 PM
What would you rather happen? If there was no black-out, either the incoming screen would have the wrong colors, or the outgoing screen would; I'd think either alternative would look crappier than the blackout :shrug:

_L_
09-19-2006, 04:50 AM
What he wants is for the incoming screen to have one palette and the outgoing screen to have another - i.e two palettes simultaneously.

Nicholas Steel
09-19-2006, 05:00 AM
couldn't one reduce the period of a black screen down to less then a second? or when you reach the edge of the screen to scroll from one to the other it blacks the ground for where link was and scrolls the new screen over.... thus there will never be more then 256 colours being used unless the author of the quest desires more then that many.

ShadowTiger
09-19-2006, 10:18 AM
IMHO, it's really fine as it is. :shrug: If you want to reduce the period of transition type, why not make it an insta-warp type? It's really just as crude though.

What I'd like to know is, how do you propose this be accomplished? The only thing I can think to do, is to black out the screen completely for a tenth of a second as the new palette loads, so you display the new palette on the screen you were just on before you hit the side warp or whatever, and then it scrolls while using the new palette.

Really Doug, man, what would you have be done?

DarkDragon
09-19-2006, 01:39 PM
What he wants is for the incoming screen to have one palette and the outgoing screen to have another - i.e two palettes simultaneously.

I hate to say it, but that's not possible without rewriting ZC to use 16-bit color. The best that could be done would be to dynamically compute a palette that includes the most common colors from both screens, but then both screen's colors would still be somewhat off and screen transitions would be SLOW.

4matsy
09-19-2006, 02:01 PM
Or perhaps fade from the old palette to the new during the scroll, like in Link's Awakening.

cbailey78
09-19-2006, 03:58 PM
Or perhaps fade from the old palette to the new during the scroll, like in Link's Awakening.

That would be COOL!:cool:

Nicholas Steel
09-19-2006, 06:32 PM
i don't see whats wrong with my idea.... you blank the screen your on as soon as you hit the warp... it blanks and disables the pallet for the dmap you were on. then it loads the new pallet (without restoring the screen you were on... it remains blank/black) and scroll the screen across...

that i don't see to be too hard to implement and should not require 16bit graphics at all.

4matsy
09-19-2006, 10:16 PM
i don't see whats wrong with my idea.... you blank the screen your on as soon as you hit the warp... it blanks and disables the pallet for the dmap you were on. then it loads the new pallet (without restoring the screen you were on... it remains blank/black) and scroll the screen across...

that i don't see to be too hard to implement and should not require 16bit graphics at all.

...uh, that's what ZC does now. <_<'

Nicholas Steel
09-19-2006, 10:54 PM
uh i thought it "fades" to black not just get replaced with black.

Dark Nation
09-20-2006, 07:45 AM
So, instantly black the whole screen, stop drawing the current screen, load the palette for the new screen, unblack the screen (no visible change since the new screen isn't visible yet and the old screen is no longer being drawn, just replaced with all black), then start the scroll?

Nicholas Steel
09-20-2006, 05:18 PM
yea thats pretty much it.... but i dunno if thats whats wanted by everyone else so... i dunno. (implement it anyways or wait for more comments?)

edit: you would have to somehow keep link visible.... but i think he's only invisible during the blackout part (which would last less then a second)... but once the blackout is done he is visible and you see him walking to the next screen?

rocksfan13
09-20-2006, 07:57 PM
So, instantly black the whole screen, stop drawing the current screen, load the palette for the new screen, unblack the screen (no visible change since the new screen isn't visible yet and the old screen is no longer being drawn, just replaced with all black), then start the scroll?

I like it. Would make a better transition.