PDA

View Full Version : OU just got screwed...

ctrl-alt-delete
09-16-2006, 07:56 PM
Watch Sportscenter. The refs say they had no video evidence. I recorded the game. I have plenty. Most announcers are saying this will go down as the biggest screwjob in the history of sports. Pay close attention. This is about to get heavy.

Edit: First of many links.

http://sports-att.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=262592483

That does not even emphasize the tip of the ball on the pass interference.

phattonez
09-17-2006, 02:00 AM
Any video links? I'd like to see it for myself, just to see if it's as obvious as you say it is.

Tygore
09-17-2006, 06:25 AM
As a born and raised fan of Oklahoma State, I find this completely and utterly hilarious.

I doubt it'll go down in history, other than something for Sooner fans to whine about (and believe me, they can WHINE). It'll come nowhere close to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUeyOuS70eI&search=the%20play).

erm2003
09-17-2006, 10:13 AM
My favorite part of that play is still how he crushes one of the band players in the end zone. It just makes me laugh every time.

Plissken
09-17-2006, 12:05 PM
Ah no matter how many times you see "the play" it always amazes you. And as erm said, I love how he just jumps on the band guy and just keeps running. Classic.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-17-2006, 12:31 PM
I will have video up later. Not only do they touch the ball before ten, we end up recovering the football, but they give it to them anyways. Trust me. It was bad.

AtmaWeapon
09-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Perhaps there are nuances of the rules of football that I don't understand, but I see the two plays as follows:

1: Pass interference is pass interference. I honestly don't fully understand pass interference but the call was "tipping the ball" and that's what I saw.

2: Maybe I just don't know the onside kick rule, but it is extremely hard to see if the football was touched. Even so, it is clear who has the ball at the end of the play and where the ball is located so maybe it's just because I don't watch football?

Also this thread is eerie because I had never seen the word "screwjob" until this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_screwjob) yesterday yet here it is in a thread as well. It is a mystery.

Beldaran
09-17-2006, 02:30 PM
http://www.drafthouse.com/images/bevo_ou_sucks_local.jpg

Dechipher
09-17-2006, 04:11 PM
As a born and raised fan of Oklahoma State, I find this completely and utterly hilarious.

I doubt it'll go down in history, other than something for Sooner fans to whine about (and believe me, they can WHINE). It'll come nowhere close to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUeyOuS70eI&search=the%20play).

That is FN hilarious.
I love he just knocks that band member to the ground.

gdorf
09-17-2006, 04:20 PM
I live in Washington, just along the Oregon border. All of the football fans who came into my work were super stoked about the game, but most of them admit it was sketchy calling.

I heard a lot of "Oh well, its the final scored that counts". I lol'd, mostly because I couldn't care less about football.

Go Ducks?

Master Ghaleon
09-17-2006, 04:47 PM
There seemed to be alot of shitty calls last week too. Last year or maybe it was 2 years ago the Redskins got soem shitty calls against them that cost them a few wins, but there is nothing that you can do about it

Beldaran
09-17-2006, 06:46 PM
See also, Seattle Seahawks in Superbowl XL.

There were like 3 blatantly false calls that led directly to either pittsburg touchdowns or changes in posession.

Apparently if you're the Steelers, you only have to get to the 1-yard line for it to be declared a touchdown.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-17-2006, 09:35 PM
Perhaps there are nuances of the rules of football that I don't understand, but I see the two plays as follows:

1: Pass interference is pass interference. I honestly don't fully understand pass interference but the call was "tipping the ball" and that's what I saw.

2: Maybe I just don't know the onside kick rule, but it is extremely hard to see if the football was touched. Even so, it is clear who has the ball at the end of the play and where the ball is located so maybe it's just because I don't watch football?

Also this thread is eerie because I had never seen the word "screwjob" until this article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montreal_screwjob) yesterday yet here it is in a thread as well. It is a mystery.

1. Okay, even if we did interfere, if the ball gets tipped at the line of scrimmage, then the pass interference cannot be called. The balls trajectory changes, and is definitely touched.

2. They did touch the ball before ten yards. Everyone agrees on that. What nobody agrees on(except us OU fans) is the fact that we actually recovered the ball. OU's number 23 comes up with it.

http://www.newsok.com/video/39145

BAM. Screwed. Bad.

Beldaran
09-17-2006, 09:46 PM
wow, that was pretty blatant. I can't believe how disfuntional the referee system is in sports sometimes. I mean, with as many people that are obsessed to death over sports, and with as much money as it makes, you think they wouldn't make such obvious errors that anyone in their right mind can see.

Here's the problem, in my opinion. The refs are extremely arrogant and are unwilling to reverse bad calls just because some "fans" saw something different. So then they make patently retarded call at some point, but their ego won't let them just take another look and agree that yeah, they were wrong and the fans were right. They just don't want to own up to being completely blind.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-18-2006, 06:08 PM
What really fucking sucked was that it was reviewed, and they still could not get it right. Here is what happened:

Ball was kicked.
It did not travel ten yards before an Oregon player touched it. Ball automatically should have went to OU.
Ball is knocked around. Nobody retains possession.
Refs blow the whistle, thinking the ball is in the pile.
Allen Patrick, #23, picks up the ball. Since the whistle has been blown, he does not run.
The refs pull up all the OU players and see that none of them have the ball. They call it for Oregon players, who are not up yet.
Oregon players stand and look at eachother stupidly.
Every OU player freaks out saying we have the ball.
Refs watch the review for the ten yards...NOT the possession. Say there is no conclusive evidence.
Then, the pass interference bullshit happens too.

The controversy is already swirling in all of America. I cannot wait to watch PTI.

Cloral
09-18-2006, 06:21 PM
The controversy is already swirling in all of America. I cannot wait to watch PTI.

That is assuming the rest of America gives a rat's ass about OU football.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-18-2006, 07:10 PM
http://www.koco.com/news/9878884/detail.html

http://www.koco.com/sports/9877464/detail.html

The commissioner of the Pac-10 has released an apology. Real sports fans in America do care...just as I care that other teams like say, LSU, do not get screwed. (There was a poll on espn.com--Who got screwed more? OU, or LSU?)

No need to be a jerk, Cloral.

Beldaran
09-18-2006, 07:11 PM
The rest of america may not give a rat's ass about OU football, but I know for a fact that the sports obsessed 24 hour analytical news force of ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN NEWS and probably THE OCHO do in fact care. This will probably be discussed pretty heavily, or at least I hope so. Looking forward to watching as well.

AtmaWeapon
09-19-2006, 02:02 PM
I guess this is why I play internet spaceship games instead of watching sports on TV I can understand the rules of internet spaceships but football is mysterious and confusing.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-19-2006, 07:44 PM
Google search for OU Sooners got screwed. (http://www.google.com/search?hs=TP9&hl=en&lr=&client=opera&rls=en&q=ou+sooners+got+screwed&btnG=Search)

The topic was discussed on PTI and whatever the name of the show is that they give you points when you are correct...some sports show. All in agreement that OU was shafted.

It is also the main set of articles on ESPN.com. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Most analysts are saying that the game should be called a no-contest, and thrown from the records, and if it is not...then voters should completely dismiss the fact that OU has a loss.

Beldaran
09-19-2006, 09:20 PM
The topic was discussed on PTI and whatever the name of the show is that they give you points when you are correct...some sports show.

Around the Horn is the name of that show.

I think NCAA football should stop being such a bunch of irrelavent bullshit and go to a playoff system.

Starkist
09-19-2006, 10:18 PM
Mike Gastano, a sports radio dude up here in Seattle, just ranted about how WHINY the OU fans / admin are. And he's right. He pointed out how OU was up by 13 points with five minutes left in the game, WITH THE BALL!! and still managed to lose. Refs or no refs, a truly good team does not lose in that situation. Truly good teams do not let the game get into a position where a referee's call can make a difference.

The Seahawks got screwed by the refs in the Super Bowl, but the only reason it mattered was because they did not play nearly as well as they had all season. Same with OU. They should never have let the game get to that point. They lost. Face it. Go whine about it.

Beldaran
09-19-2006, 11:11 PM
Mike Gastano, a sports radio dude up here in Seattle, just ranted about how WHINY the OU fans / admin are. And he's right. He pointed out how OU was up by 13 points with five minutes left in the game, WITH THE BALL!! and still managed to lose. Refs or no refs, a truly good team does not lose in that situation. Truly good teams do not let the game get into a position where a referee's call can make a difference.

The Seahawks got screwed by the refs in the Super Bowl, but the only reason it mattered was because they did not play nearly as well as they had all season. Same with OU. They should never have let the game get to that point. They lost. Face it. Go whine about it.

This is the most absurd opinion in the world. Geting cheated is ok if your margin of victory is small enough because you don't deserve it?

By that logic, stealing from poor people is acceptable because hey, if they would have just been richer, they wouldn't need that money so badly. Or how about teams that only win games by 2 points or less automatically lose because they didn't "win by enough".

Give me a break. Let's just throw morality out the window because people "shouldn't whine".

The beauty of sports is that it's fair. The rules are the rules and special exceptions are not made. Imagine professional sports if only 70% of penalties were enforced. How about Major League Baseball in which only 62% of homeruns count based on how the umpire feels that night. Better not whine about it!

I think your ideas about "whining" are despicable. People who are wronged should go BALISTIC in order to bring attention to their iniquity. If everyone followed your logic, people would just accept their bullshit circumstances in order to avoid "whining". Dr. Martin Luther King was a "whiner". Thomas Jefferson was a "whiner". John Locke was a "whiner". Ghandi was a serious "whiner" and "complainer".

I'm really glad your not in charge of anything outside this message board, because your grey area morality disgusts me.

Starkist
09-19-2006, 11:16 PM
You're barking up the wrong tree. Officiating in sports is not black and white. Calls are made through the judgment of the officials. Occasionally they make mistakes. It is an unavoidable part of the game. In this case, it went against Oklahoma. How many times do you think they have been the beneficiaries of referee mistakes?

I stand by what I said. A good team does not allow the game to be in a position where a mistake by an official can determine the game's outcome. The Pac-10 suspended the referees in question, but there is no doubt that the outcome of the game should stand. Would OU fans be in this kind of uproar if they had overcome the calls and won? Would they be this whiny if the officials had made a bad call against the other team and given them the advantage?

This is just a matter of sore losers. Officials make mistakes - it happens.

Beldaran
09-19-2006, 11:18 PM
Officiating in sports is not black and white.

http://www.newenglandpopwarner.com/ph-referee-200.jpg

You lose.

Starkist
09-20-2006, 11:45 PM
Bah. :tongue:

ctrl-alt-delete
09-21-2006, 01:09 PM
You're barking up the wrong tree. Officiating in sports is not black and white. Calls are made through the judgment of the officials. Occasionally they make mistakes. It is an unavoidable part of the game. In this case, it went against Oklahoma. How many times do you think they have been the beneficiaries of referee mistakes?

I stand by what I said. A good team does not allow the game to be in a position where a mistake by an official can determine the game's outcome. The Pac-10 suspended the referees in question, but there is no doubt that the outcome of the game should stand. Would OU fans be in this kind of uproar if they had overcome the calls and won? Would they be this whiny if the officials had made a bad call against the other team and given them the advantage?

This is just a matter of sore losers. Officials make mistakes - it happens.

I personally would be upset all the same, and would think it completely fair to mark the game from both teams schedules. I think and have heard that a lot of Oregon fans agree with me. I in no way think that Oregon's team should receive a loss because of bad calls by the officials. OU was playing just fine, and there was no chance of them coming back during this game. We got cheated out of fourteen points and a win. The worst team in the country could have won a game with a minute left up by fourteen.

Continuing the controversy, the official who does the replay reviews has requested and been granted a leave of absence for the remainder of the season, which according to Pac-10 rules, also causes his partner to be released.