PDA

View Full Version : Zelda Twilight Princess: Wii or Gamecube?

vegeta1215
09-16-2006, 12:05 PM
With new information on the Wii version of Twilight Princess coming out all the time, I'm curious which version of Twilight Princess everyone is planning on getting?

I am still undecided myself, mainly cause I'd have to drop $250 to get a Wii in order to play the Wii version. It's either that or wait two weeks longer to get the Gamecube version. Then there's the Wii controls, which I'm still not convinced about. (though I feel I am slowly being swayed)

btw, keep other Zelda separate from this thread, ok?

MottZilla
09-16-2006, 12:08 PM
I'll probably buy the Wii version, and if I don't like the controls, pickup the GC version later.

erm2003
09-16-2006, 12:20 PM
I am definately going for the Wii version. I am really curious to see how everything will work with the new controls and it will be nice to have a different type of experience while playing a Zelda game. The GC version will be just as great, but for me it will feel too much like playing OoT with better graphics.

AtmaWeapon
09-16-2006, 12:23 PM
I want the Wii version really bad, but $250 is a pretty big strain on my budget this year. It is likely I will buy the Gamecube version, then after I pick up a Wii I'll buy that version too just to see how it feels.

I can't help but think Nintendo hopes there are a lot like me.

Mak-X
09-16-2006, 01:20 PM
Right now I'm planning to get the Gamecube version when it comes out, I preordered it yesterday, and pick up a Wii and that version of Zelda later. All I really want is to play Zelda, and it makes more sense to me at the moment to buy it for $50 for the console it was originally developed for so long for that I have already, than to spend $300 for Zelda. The Wii remote only play and the mirroring that I'm hearing doesn't help either. I mean, I'll be busy with Zelda for 2-4 weeks straight, so I won't be able to take advantage of the Wii launch.

MottZilla
09-16-2006, 01:20 PM
I think Nintendo hopes there are alot of people that can't wait for the GC version and will buy a Wii for Zelda at launch. ;p

goKi
09-16-2006, 01:24 PM
That's obviously their plan, MottZilla. I'll be getting my Wii version along with my Wii on launch day.

MottZilla
09-16-2006, 01:28 PM
Haha. I know man. I'm still undecidied but leaning that way!

Darth Marsden
09-16-2006, 02:26 PM
I'll be going for the Gamecube version. While I'm pretty excited about the possibilities of the remote, I don't think I'd feel right playing something like Zelda with it. I like my platformers to be played on standard controllers, since I'm used to basic ones.

That doesn't mean I won't try it with the remote at some point, but I'm just not quite ready for it yet.

ONeilcool
09-16-2006, 06:16 PM
Since I plan on buying a Wii, im more then likely gonna get the Wii verison.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-16-2006, 08:25 PM
With new information on the Wii version of Twilight Princess coming out all the time, I'm curious which version of Twilight Princess everyone is planning on getting?

I am still undecided myself, mainly cause I'd have to drop $250 to get a Wii in order to play the Wii version. It's either that or wait two weeks longer to get the Gamecube version. Then there's the Wii controls, which I'm still not convinced about. (though I feel I am slowly being swayed)

btw, keep other Zelda separate from this thread, ok?

Actually, they will have to wait three weeks. November 19th-December 11th.

I had already preordered the GCN version before they announced the Wii version, but I got it switched over. Wii all the way for me, baby.

vegeta1215
09-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Like erm2003, I'd like to play the Wii version because I don't want to just play a supped up OoT. But Mak-X makes a good point when he reminds us that the game was originally designed for the Gamecube.

Knowing me I will probably buy both, cause Nintendo knows I'm a sucker.

Petoe
09-17-2006, 09:14 AM
I'll definitely buy the Wii version and only the Wii version. Not sure how well the controls have been converted for the Wiimote, but I have enough confidence in Ninty. :)

MottZilla
09-17-2006, 12:34 PM
I'll definitely buy the Wii version and only the Wii version. Not sure how well the controls have been converted for the Wiimote, but I have enough confidence in Ninty. :)

After the massive success of the DS, I too am pretty confident in Nintendo. However the control system still could be hit or miss with me.

Pineconn
09-17-2006, 12:42 PM
Argh, Nintendo is pushing my buttons. I planned on getting the GCN version since they were originally going to be launched simultaneously, but since its release date is nearly a month after the Wii version (GCN: 12/11/06; Wii: 11/19/06)...

So 85 more days of waiting for me. Unless I get a Wii before so.

MacWeirdo42
09-17-2006, 02:30 PM
Wii. The truth of the matter is, I don't actually own a Gamecube (had one for years, but it was actually my roommate's, and he's since moved out). Therefore, since I'll be buying a system anyway, might as well just buy a Wii.

You know though, truth of the matter is, this is one game where I have difficulty imagining the controls to be terribly intuitive. I dunno... I guess it's that the camera angle has you a little removed from the action. Fishing's definitely gonna rock though, of course.

vegeta1215
09-18-2006, 01:09 AM
I think I'm going to be debating which version to get until the bitter end. I read two articles today, one in favor of the Wii controls, the other undecided (saying the sword play is gimmicky - and this is TSA speaking). Check'm out.

- http://www.planetgamecube.com/impressionsArt.cfm?artid=12081
- http://thehylia.com/index.php?subaction=showfull&id=1158436159&archive=&start_from=&ucat=1&

Aliem
09-18-2006, 03:06 AM
I'll probably buy the Wii version, and if I don't like the controls, pickup the GC version later.That's pretty much what I was thinking, too...

Brasel
09-18-2006, 09:13 PM
That sucks that the GCN version is going to be released later. Good marketing scheme, but I don't plan on getting a Wii right away. I'm just going to wait for the GCN version.

MottZilla
09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
They say it's not a scheme, but that they couldn't get the GCN version ready at the same time as the Wii version for some reason. It very well could be true.

Shoelace
09-19-2006, 06:15 AM
I don't believe for one second that it is not ready. If the Wii one was done, then the Gamecube one has to be also. The Gamecube version has the controls done already. I can see the Wii being delayed as a real statement, but the other way around doesn't seem true. I just think they are thinking, Zelda is a good launch title for the Wii. That is basically the big launch title they have, but if people have on the Cube, then they aren't going to spend money for the Wii. So this way, people will buy the Wii for Zelda. It is smart business. So that is what I think.

goKi
09-19-2006, 08:38 AM
They say it's not a scheme, but that they couldn't get the GCN version ready at the same time as the Wii version for some reason. It very well could be true.

I think that's a lie.

Warlock
09-19-2006, 10:16 AM
Honestly it could be true. Have you seen the new trailer? They have like a shooter-type mode now (like starfox-ish) where Link is some type of bird thing and has to navigate through environments. They could have been added in response to the Wii controls and maybe they have to figure out a way to do that for the GC version. Or really, any other similar situation. I'm sure once they decided on doing it for Wii, they came up with all kinds of neat ideas to add, and now they have to get those working on the GC version.

But definately though, it's a marketing thing. I mean, even if the above is true, they could still push to get it done in time w/ the Wii version. The problem is, if both versions are available, people would have no *real* incentive to get the Wii one, or maybe more significantly, a Wii at launch. Considering the Wii is backwards compatible with GC, you'll get people who would buy the GC version and say "Well I'll get the Wii later on, since I can play this game on it anyways." On the other hand, there are so many people who will just buy the Wii for Zelda and no other reason. Esp. people who might not even know it's coming for GC (if you don't surf gaming websites or read gaming magazines, this is totally possible).

goKi
09-19-2006, 10:29 AM
Or they can delay it's launch by a few weeks, and sell a few more thousand Wii's.

vegeta1215
09-19-2006, 12:09 PM
I think I've decided on sticking with the Gamecube version. I can't justify buying a Wii just for Zelda, and from the articles I've read about how the sword-play works, it sounds kind of lame and gimmicky.

MottZilla
09-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Sword-play never has been part of Zelda really. I mean it's never been at all in depth. Is it that much of a disppointment that its not somekind of 1:1 movement? That could have made the game much harder for players, and take longer for the developers.

If you're gonna buy the Wii anyway you might as well go with it. If you are going to be putting off the Wii, then sure the GC version is there.

Warlock
09-19-2006, 02:23 PM
Sword-play never has been part of Zelda really. I mean it's never been at all in depth. Is it that much of a disppointment that its not somekind of 1:1 movement? That could have made the game much harder for players, and take longer for the developers.

If you're gonna buy the Wii anyway you might as well go with it. If you are going to be putting off the Wii, then sure the GC version is there.

1:1 movement isn't important, but I think they could have at least done stuff like Up-thrust, down-thrust, jab, etc. so it was a little varried. From what I understand it basically just acts like an A button right now.

MottZilla
09-19-2006, 02:42 PM
*shrugs* It is an adapted GC title, how would the GC version achieve these when it only has an A button?

Warlock
09-19-2006, 02:45 PM
*shrugs* It is an adapted GC title, how would the GC version achieve these when it only has an A button?

A+Up, A+Down, etc.

MottZilla
09-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Then you can do that on the Wii with Up+shakey, Down+shakey. ;p I agree they could have done it but I think LoZ:TP has been in development too long already. ;p

SkyMan25
09-19-2006, 05:12 PM
Both if i can. already have gamecube one reserved

jessethe2nd
09-20-2006, 01:56 AM
I could have sworn that I just saw an article on IGN that mentioned a revamp of the WII TP controls... Im going to go look for it...

_____________________---Addition 1---______________
http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732838p1.html Ok, still looking for the article but I do believe they went to something close to a 1:1 system.

_____________________---Addition 2---______________

http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732877p1.html Found it-

Well they said the control scheme feels solid and it sounds practical to me. So lets see how thing go... oh and im getting the wii version simply because if I dont like it I can just buy the gamcube version and play it in 480p on the wii since it is backwards compatible and also because I am selling my cube... been looking for those component cables for a year now... god you would think they would license it out to 3rd parties...

Skulkraken
09-20-2006, 06:20 AM
I'm still undecided. I'd personally prefer to get both, but if I can't, I'll get whichever one provides more value at the time of release.

MottZilla
09-20-2006, 01:39 PM
The slicing mechanic is not one-to-one, which means that it feels nothing like holding and swinging a baseball bat in Wii Sports Baseball, for instance. Rather, if players gesture a swipe, Link will also swipe his sword - but it may not be in the same direction. We motioned several up and down swipes and occasionally Linked sliced sideways anyway. This is not particularly bothersome because the overall control method still feels very solid, but it's noteworthy all the same. Taking the Wii-mote and jamming it forward will cause Link to thrust his sword forward.

For those that don't want to read that page themselves. I can't say I care. I really don't see Zelda as an indepth sword and sheild fighting game. Someone else can do that.

vegeta1215
09-20-2006, 11:46 PM
For those that don't want to read that page themselves. I can't say I care. I really don't see Zelda as an indepth sword and sheild fighting game. Someone else can do that.

Maybe Zelda isn't an in depth sword and shield fighting game (I think Zelda II probably required the most skill in terms of sword fighting), but it all just seems so tacked on. At this point I have no doubt in my mind that the Wii version is being made solely to sell systems. The fact that they're still playing with the controls at this point in time only confirms that.

Warlock
09-21-2006, 12:06 AM
Honestly I don't care. 16:9 + progressive scan on better hardware = a nicer game than the GC version. I'm getting a Wii anyways so I might as well get the Wii version :P

MottZilla
09-21-2006, 02:32 AM
Yes there is that too. While I don't expect extremely better graphics, it's still going to be an improvement running on better hardware. It would be a no brainer if it also supported traditional controls.

vegeta1215
09-21-2006, 11:36 AM
I played Metroid Prime on my friends wide screen TV with Gamecube component cables, and the wide screen aspect really bugged me - I felt like things were obscured from my vision and looking around felt different. So, the wide screen aspect of Zelda for Wii doesn't matter much to me :shrug: (I know they are different types of games, but I think it would bug me the same)

goKi
09-21-2006, 11:38 AM
Honestly I don't care. 16:9 + progressive scan on better hardware = a nicer game than the GC version. I'm getting a Wii anyways so I might as well get the Wii version :P

Exactly my thoughts on the subject.

Pineconn
09-21-2006, 06:28 PM
You know, it's possible that they aren't lying by saying the GCN version isn't ready. I mean, the developers are mostly working on the Wii version to get it ready for the November 19 release, so the GCN version got behind a little. I think it's pretty believeable.

Mak-X
09-21-2006, 09:45 PM
I played Metroid Prime on my friends wide screen TV with Gamecube component cables, and the wide screen aspect really bugged me - I felt like things were obscured from my vision and looking around felt different.

You might have been viewing Metroid Prime stretched, I don't think it has a 16:9 widescreen mode. Most fullscreen games look terrible stretched on a widescreen TV. It usually annoys me when nonwidescreen games are left stretched on widescreen TVs. It's like stretching a GB game on a GBA. F-Zero GX and SCII have widescreen modes that have the opposite effect on a 4:3 square TV, making the image squished. Zelda would just have more space on either side to see your surroundings when set up right.

I want to try to get a new TV by the time Zelda comes out, as I've got an 8 year old 27" Samsung SD TV, and I'm getting tired of viewing newer games via Composite, it doesn't even have S-Video, and I've got GC Component Cables. I don't plan to get a widescreen TV, as most content I view is fullscreen, but its good they're including widescreen support for Zelda since they were asked that so many times.

MottZilla
09-21-2006, 10:15 PM
I want to try to get a new TV by the time Zelda comes out, as I've got an 8 year old 27" Samsung SD TV, and I'm getting tired of viewing newer games via Composite, it doesn't even have S-Video, and I've got GC Component Cables. I don't plan to get a widescreen TV, as most content I view is fullscreen, but its good they're including widescreen support for Zelda since they were asked that so many times.

Ya man, I too have an old SD TV, it's a CRT and only has Composite video. While it does look very vibrant, the signal quality is not as clear as I want. While interlacing isn't making it look terrible as its only at 20", the dot-crawl from composite is very annoying and there is no s-video to combat that. Really I want a TV with Composite, S-Video, and atleast Component 480P.

vegeta1215
09-22-2006, 01:56 AM
You might have been viewing Metroid Prime stretched, I don't think it has a 16:9 widescreen mode. Most fullscreen games look terrible stretched on a widescreen TV. It usually annoys me when nonwidescreen games are left stretched on widescreen TVs.

I'd have to double check, but I don't think it was stretched because Samus and the HUD and other objects looked normal. My field of view just felt different.

Warlock
09-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Actually stretching a 4:3 to 16:9 doesn't look that bad. I watch all my tv like that. You don't really notice usually, except in certain angles people can look short and fat (but this is just on full-body shots). So you could have been playing stretched and not realized it.

vegeta1215
11-04-2006, 07:25 PM
I know this is an old thread, but gaming sites and a select few people have been given the opportunity to play Zelda for an extended period of time (hours) just this week, and so much news/photos/videos etc are coming in that it's nuts.

From what I can tell, people are warming up to the Wii controls, stating that they've gotten better and feel more intuitive. Moreover, that the Wii version of Zelda will be the definitive one to play. All of this is making me have second thoughts about getting the GCN version, but I don't know when I'd be able to pick up a Wii since pre-orders are all filled up everywhere from what I can tell.

To be fair though, Nintendo hasn't showed the GCN to anyone from what I've heard. Makes me wonder how different the two games will look (if they look different at all graphically)

Any new thoughts?

UPDATE: I remember reading somewhere that in the Wii version of Zelda you do not have the option to use a free camera like the one in Wind Waker (which I LOVE), so the camera is more like OoT which a button to center the camera behind Link, and one to go into first person view. Not sure if that matters to anyone else, but I like using the camera to pan around and look at everything.

Darth Marsden
11-05-2006, 06:54 AM
Still getting the GC version, but for a couple more reasons now. The 'Playing platformers on a standard controller just feels right' still stands, but now there's also the fact that I probably won't pick up a Wii 'til after the new year due to a lack of other games I'm interested in, plus the I'm going to need time to get used to the remote before I play something like an action game.

And I too like having full control of the camera. A good one that follows you around is key, but it's nice to be able to tweak it to your preference as well.

dantheman44
11-30-2006, 04:57 PM
I don't believe for one second that it is not ready. If the Wii one was done, then the Gamecube one has to be also. The Gamecube version has the controls done already. I can see the Wii being delayed as a real statement, but the other way around doesn't seem true. I just think they are thinking, Zelda is a good launch title for the Wii. That is basically the big launch title they have, but if people have on the Cube, then they aren't going to spend money for the Wii. So this way, people will buy the Wii for Zelda. It is smart business. So that is what I think.

Let's also not forget how long (?) we have been waiting for TP to come out....then delayed.....then finally released as part of the wii console just what, a week after the US debut of PS3....... Coincidence? I think not; smart business ploy? Uh....could be ;)
Personally, I have shelled out the bucks for every Nintendo console made, in large part, for the Zelda series which still captivates me. This time, no, I will not, I will wait the few weeks for the GCN release and be satisified with 200 bucks in my pocket.
The wii's saving grace is the backwards compatability.......that may sway my decision later, but for now.....no wii for me :laughing:

AtmaWeapon
11-30-2006, 08:27 PM
There is no doubt that the decision to release on both systems and the decision to release the Wii version first are nothing more than good business. The Wii version perhaps suffers graphically, but it generates an effect that is quite beneficial to Nintendo. Consider some alternative scenarios:

Nintendo could have made the game Wii-exclusive. This would be a bad decision because the limited supply of Wiis would anger consumers, and odds are by the time everyone had a chance to get a Wii enthusiasm for the game would be low.

Nintendo could have enhanced the graphics for the Wii version and added exclusive content. This would once again anger the consumer because limited availability of the Wii would mean people who wanted the "better" version would be unable to play it. Also GCN owners would not appreciate being second-class so fast.

Finally, Nintendo could have just released the game back when it was ready the first time and ignored a Wii release. This would have generated income, but honestly if you look at the Wii launch lineup the addition of Zelda is a huge improvement.

The conversation on swordplay interested me because it's one of the first complaints I had about the game. Once you've played a bit it becomes natural and easier, but some of the more advanced moves are kind of difficult (shield attack gives me fits!).

That aside, I think by focusing on swordplay you miss out on where the Wii controls shine with respect to the GCN version: projectile weaponry. Since Zelda made the leap to 3d, weapons such as the slingshot, hookshot, and bow were aimed either through Z targeting or manually with the control stick. Manual targetting required great skill as there was no real indicator of where the arrow would hit. I always had difficulty with manual targetting and found it pretty inaccurate. I was able to win the target shooting games but considering they were the same each time that just came down to memorizing where to shoot when.

On the Wii, manual aim is done with the Wiimote and the difference is amazing. Two of the most epic events so far have been what convinced me I never want the GCN controls back. Both involved horseback battles that required fairly precise on-the-fly arrow shots at targets outside of Z-targetting range and unless you are just a crackshot at horseback archery the second one in particular is going to be extremely difficult on the cube.

Last night I had to infiltrate an area guarded by enemy archers and ground melee guys. On the gamecube this would have been accomplished with the sword and getting within Z-target range of the snipers. On the Wii I went on a sniper rampage and killed all but 2 enemies before they even spotted me. The difference is amazing.

The only serious drawback to the Wii controls is the lack of the ability to freely rotate the camera while on the move. The Z button is the only way I can rotate the camera, and this makes some combat situations fairly difficult, particularly when the camera doesn't align behind me properly so my Up + Swing moves now require either Left or Right instead.

Basically in my opinion the game is worth experiencing on either console. The story so far has been magnificent and for the first time in a while I feel like I've been given a game that is what a Zelda game should be. Wind Waker was almost there but suffers from severe lack of dungeons and overabundance of travel time. If you don't have the cash for a Wii just pick it up on the cube; I think it might end up a little more difficult but the beauty of this release is that you won't miss a thing. Odds are that eventually there will be enough games on the Wii for you to justify a purchase, you aren't a traitor if you think a Zelda game isn't worth $300 when you can get the same thing for $50 :)

bluedeath
11-30-2006, 08:31 PM
I already have the Wii version :D

Aegix Drakan
11-30-2006, 10:19 PM
I'm not able to ge ta wii, so it's the gamecube version for me.

It'll give me something to do over the holidays.

From what I've seen though, the Wii version looks kickass...

Pineconn
11-30-2006, 10:20 PM
I never had problems with the manual bow and arrow. After all, in real life, you don't have a big red crosshair telling you where the arrow will fly; instead, you have to do it by pure instinct. All 3 bows' aim from OoT, MM, and TWW are slightly different, but they are precise once you know where the arrow will go. I'm a little sad that the GCN version will actually have a crosshair... Of course, shooting projectiles is in 3rd person unlike the previous three 3D games (1st person) and it would be too difficult to predict the arrow's path. ;)

So does the game live up to all the hype? I heard that the boss battles are disappointingly easy. Eleven more days for me (well, until December 11; it's possible that I won't get it till the 12th or even 13th).

MottZilla
11-30-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm definitely going for the GC version at this point. I'm not likely getting a Wii anytime soon, and I don't see the Wii version of Zelda being any more fun than the GC.

Orion
12-01-2006, 12:23 AM
Well, either way, the game is a blast. Yes, the boss battles are a bit easy, but if that is all you judge the game by, then you're missing out on a lot. The game is beautiful for being developed as a GameCube game.

On a side note, I turned the pointer off on the Wii to get rid of the fairy, but that meant that I had to aim manually. And it sucked. Turned it back on after about 5 minutes. Just doesn't feel right using the joystick anymore.

Archibaldo
12-01-2006, 11:30 AM
I'm planning on getting a Wii hopefully sometime in February or maybe even January if I have the money. I'm going to get the Wii verison of TP. Quick question though, does the console come with the Nun-Chuck add on? Or do I have to buy that seperately? Because it seems the nun-chck is essential for playing TP.

Matteo
12-01-2006, 11:39 AM
I'm planning on getting a Wii hopefully sometime in February or maybe even January if I have the money. I'm going to get the Wii verison of TP. Quick question though, does the console come with the Nun-Chuck add on? Or do I have to buy that seperately? Because it seems the nun-chck is essential for playing TP.

Yeah the console comes with 1 wiimote and 1 nunchuck.

Imprisoned
12-01-2006, 11:51 AM
Wii version. It has realistic swordfighting, precise aiming and even realistic fishing...

[talking like a guy who knows nothing about games]...And a bit better graphics.[/talking like a guy who knows nothing about games]

vegeta1215
12-01-2006, 12:39 PM
On a side note, I turned the pointer off on the Wii to get rid of the fairy, but that meant that I had to aim manually. And it sucked. Turned it back on after about 5 minutes. Just doesn't feel right using the joystick anymore.

So you can disable the Wii-mote aiming and aim the bow just like in the previous 3D Zeldas? (If I'm understanding you correctly) are there any other Wii-only features you can disable? (sword play, fishing, etc)

Imprisoned
12-01-2006, 01:06 PM
I'm sure you can't disable swordplay since there's no button assigned for "sword", because you ONLY have to swing the Wiimote to swing the sword.

bluedeath
12-01-2006, 02:38 PM
at nintendo it sais there not making game cube version anymore and that it wont work.

MottZilla
12-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Ugh. No they didn't. Zelda for GameCube is still being released.

Also, the swordplay is NOT realistic. And the graphics, how do you know they are better? Have you seen the GC and Wii versions side by side in high quality screen captures to compare them? Chances are graphically they are identical in quality. Precise aiming? Aiming is more precise via the analog stick, you may just not be as skilled at using it. Realistic fishing? Oh boy! That's really what I look for in a video game!

Sure if it floats your boat go for it. But the Wii version of Zelda the more I think about it, the more I give it a no.

AtmaWeapon
12-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Mott I'm only going to disagree with you on the "analog stick is more precise than wiimote" portion because otherwise bluedeath and Imprisoned are in some alternate universe.

With significant practice I'm sure the analog stick can be used just as easily as the Wiimote. However, I always found analog aiming to be extremely frustrating. When I had the luxury to take my time aiming the shot, I spent 80% of my setup within a 1.5 inch square around my target trying to nudge the analog stick just right so it would manage to stop on exactly the right pixel. As an analog stick wears, this gets more frustrating. (Okami had similar problems in places where the brush had to hit a particular target; it seems the brush moved kind of on a grid and sometimes your target would be offgrid but they compensated by letting "close" count.)

On the other hand, with the Wiimote I only display the classic input device dilemma: first I move too far, then I retreat back to the target.

Basically to me the two experiences are wildly different. On the N64 and Gamecube I feel more like a sniper lining up his scope and taking time to ensure the shot will hit. On the Wii I feel more like I am pointing my arrow at a target and shooting at it. As a consequence, on the analog versions I only used my bow in situations where it was absolutely required or when Z-targeting could do the work for me.

Mileage may vary, and I'm sure if I invested a few hours in my analog archery I'd be much better but I prefer the solution that required 3 seconds of training to the one that requires hours of practice.

The fact still remains, though, that there's no real reason to favor the Wii version over the GCN version unless you are horrible with the stick like me :)

MottZilla
12-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Well I'll give you take, the analog stick on some consoles, and the input in some games, makes it very tough. Forinstance the N64 was a horrible analog stick when it was well used. And games like Zelda OoT, I don't think aiming was coded/designed that well, and there was absolutely no aim assist.

But in most games like FPS that I play often, the analogs are pretty good.

Orion
12-01-2006, 06:50 PM
No you can't disable the swordplay, and like Mott said, it's not exact either. It's still a fun way of doing it, and I enjoy it, but it's not like it's something you can't live without, either.

And I've been told that the graphics are just the same in both versions. Maybe there are subtle differences, but you'll never know until someone does a side-by-side comparison. Either way, considering the GameCube hardware, they are impressive, especially in expansive areas. Sometimes polygons do flicker though--especially in areas that you are riding your horse, so if you walk there you kinda notice it cuz you're going much slower.

Pineconn
12-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Graphics don't really make a difference to me anyway, except for the Temple of Time in OoT. Does anyone remember going from one room to the other? New polygons would appear from nowhere and others would disappear. Absolutely horrible.

I find myself to be precise with the stick. I don't find it difficult to barely move the stick in order to move Link's bow only a few pixels over. Of course, I've never held a Wii-mote in my hand, so maybe I would prefer the pointer?

Another possible advantage of GCN over the Wii is swordplay. From what I've seen in gameplay videos, Link doesn't swing his sword until the point after you've stopped swinging the Wii-mote. So Link would swing his sword a split second after you, leaving yourself vulnerable for a Darknut to thrust his sword into poor Link. With the GCN version, the press of a button is as precise as it gets. Has anyone had problems with that?

Modus Ponens
12-01-2006, 10:23 PM
I find the wiimote's pointing function to be superb in aiming. I think it works very well and is highly intuitive. Plus, if you're aiming with the wiimote and you hold the Z button, you can move Link around and aim at the same time, which is impossible with the pointing function disabled.

With pointing turned off, the wiimote becomes like any other controller, except it has accelerometers that perform some functions. It's pretty neat because you can put a blanket over your whole body and use the controller underneath it. On a cold winter's weekend evening, this last detail really completes the picture.

The way the sword works is that a sharp wiggle of the remote is the game's "sword button". You modify this to produce different strikes the same way as in previous games; i.e., holding Z for an overhead swing, etc. Of course, there's no way to hold down the sword button in this game, so for a spinstrike, you just wiggle the nunchuk from side to side. Shortly thereafter, the sword "charges" back up, and Link's ready to spin again.

I'm quite happy with the sword system in the game. Pineconn's objection notwithstanding, I have found it fairly easy to swing Link's sword exactly when I mean to. You don't have to flail the remote wildly about, you just need to tell the accelerometers that you mean business. Just a little shake is all you need.

Cloral
12-01-2006, 11:34 PM
I have to say that to me the swordfighting feels kinda tacked on. You do most of your other actions by pressing buttons, but then all of a sudden you have to start swinging the remote about. I think if you used the remote more while moving around I wouldn't mind it as much. It just feels like it doesn't fit in with most of the other controls in the game.

On the other hand, aiming is really nice. I just got the bow yesterday, and picking off the enemy archers from a distance felt good. I didn't realize at the time you could move around by holding Z, that'll make things a lot easier when I get in a shooting match with enemy archers again.

Pineconn
12-02-2006, 12:57 AM
I'm quite happy with the sword system in the game. Pineconn's objection notwithstanding, I have found it fairly easy to swing Link's sword exactly when I mean to. You don't have to flail the remote wildly about, you just need to tell the accelerometers that you mean business. Just a little shake is all you need.

Meh, it just looked like it lagged. Maybe one could get adjusted to it... Hm.

Since I seem to be asking a lot of questions, I might as well continue. ;)

Do some in-OoT-but-not-in-WW enemies exist in TP? I've already seen Red Tektites and Dodongos from Goron Mines, but what about good ol' Like Likes, Wallmasters, Gibdos, Freezzards, Wolfos, and even Torch Slugs?

Heh, I'm becoming kind of demanding. :rolleyes: But I felt that Wind Waker didn't have a very good selection of enemies as OoT.

Orion
12-02-2006, 01:24 AM
There is definetly a wider variety of enemies. I've only gotten as far as the 4th dungeon, but I've run into of course the fair assortment of molins, wolf thingies, flying thingies (keese, I'd imagine), even bigger flying thingies, the plant deals that come out of the ground, and the spiders that drop down from the ceiling, jelly glob things (zols?), and the stalfos and the smaller variety of stalfos. And tektites. And leevers. I'm sure I'm missing some, but you get the point.

AtmaWeapon
12-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Meh, it just looked like it lagged. Maybe one could get adjusted to it... Hm.

Since I seem to be asking a lot of questions, I might as well continue. ;)

Do some in-OoT-but-not-in-WW enemies exist in TP? I've already seen Red Tektites and Dodongos from Goron Mines, but what about good ol' Like Likes, Wallmasters, Gibdos, Freezzards, Wolfos, and even Torch Slugs?

Heh, I'm becoming kind of demanding. :rolleyes: But I felt that Wind Waker didn't have a very good selection of enemies as OoT.Nah, it doesn't lag; the sword swing starts somewhere in the middle of the beginning and end of the motion, and I found that after about 30 minutes of play usage of the sword is pretty much unconcsious action now. I do agree that for the most part it feels tacked on, though. Swordplay is the only action that requires this motion of the Wiimote, and honestly I think it'd be nice if you could throw bombs, pots, skulls, etc. with a swinging motion.

I can say what enemies I have faced so far but I will say that BELOW THIS POINT IF YOU ARE GOING TO WHINE ABOUT ME REVEALING THE NAME OF AN ENEMY JUST STOP READING NOW OK GOT IT? The only enemies from other games I have seen so far (from memory so I'm sure I forget some) are keese, stalfos, tektites, the lizard knight dudes, dodongos, redeads, torch slugs, and something similar to the gel enemies in WW. I don't think I've reached the halfway point quite yet though, so it's likely more will come. It seems each dungeon has a unique cast of enemies and I know I have at least 2 more dungeons to go.

I have a few interesting questions concerning the game, but they are plot and spoiler laden so I'm going to wait until I finish it in the hopes that a few others will finish by that time and we can discuss it in a thread specifically for those who won't be upset if I reveal that Hermione dies in the fourth dungeon.

Pineconn
12-02-2006, 01:38 AM
Yep, that satisfied my appetite. :eat:

Almost exactly 1% of my total waiting time for this game remains... I still can't believe I'll be actually playing it.

Saffith
12-02-2006, 01:40 AM
good ol' Like LikesNope.

Wallmasters,No. There's something sort of similar in one level.
Gibdos,Yeah, got those. They gave them big swords this time around.

Freezzards,Oh, yeah. Nasty sons of bitches, those.

Wolfos,Only the White Wolfos.

and even Torch Slugs?Some of those, yeah.

The Lizalfos, Skulltulas, and Baris are back, too, as are the Helmasaurs and Stalfos Knights from LttP.

There are lots of places, enemies, items, and ideas returning from earlier games, but some of the changes are pretty surprising. Not unpleasantly so, mind.
I don't know what the hell happened to Kakariko, though. And I swear a couple of the bosses were influenced by Shadow of the Colossus, especially in level 3.

Orion
12-02-2006, 02:17 AM
Ah yeah, forgot about the helmasaurs. They're so cute I almost dont want to kill them. I don't think it's too big a spoiler, but if you don't wanna know, stop reading this paragraph. You learn moves like you did in Zelda II, and it's kinda a nice homage. It seems like they tried to incorporate something from most of the other games.

AtmaWeapon
12-02-2006, 04:15 PM
Saffith I'm pretty sure the Gibdos you speak of are actually Redeads; they scream at you which freezes you then spank you with that giant sword. The "freezing scream" is a trademark of Redeads.

I found that they are much easier to deal with as a wolf than as Link.

Thunderbird
12-02-2006, 05:53 PM
I remember Gidbos screaming and causing Link to freeze in place from OoT and MM as well, and they look more like Gidbos as well.

AtmaWeapon
12-02-2006, 06:19 PM
I'll go ahead and say I'm wrong since two are in agreement and all I remember about Gibdos on the N64 ones is wearing that mask that makes them dance in MM http://www.atmaweapon.org/images/emot/shobon.gif

Pineconn
12-02-2006, 08:42 PM
Ugh, no Like Likes? That's pretty much a staple of the series' enemies.

But yeah, both Gidbos and ReDeads scream at you. The Gibdos are outside the music house in Ikana Canyon, but ReDeads are in the Ancient Castle of Ikana and they dance, not Gibdos.