PDA

View Full Version : Secret of Mana RTS

Warlock
09-15-2006, 12:42 PM
http://ds.ign.com/articles/732/732735p1.html

holy crap!

Modus Ponens
09-15-2006, 02:46 PM
Well, while I can see this being a point of extreme delight and excitement for many gamers out there, I've never been much of a fan of the RTS genre; it's too much work for me to play.

MottZilla
09-15-2006, 02:53 PM
How bout a RTS game for Wii? :p

Warlock
09-15-2006, 03:29 PM
How bout a RTS game for Wii? :p

Technically Battalion Wars is sort of a RTS. It looks like shit IMO tho :P

MottZilla
09-15-2006, 04:32 PM
I've seen some of it, it looks interesting but I mean a more traditional RTS (Craft Series kthx). They can call it whatever they want, WarCraft 2 and a Half, StarCraft: Giant Mountain of Zerg Poop. As long as it's WarCraft/StarCraft goodness that could be played online, that would be fun.

Modus Ponens
09-15-2006, 05:58 PM
Actually, the notion of the Wii seems to be doing strange things to my brain; I can see myself playing games from just about any genre in existence on the Wii. I don't care if it's football or a dating sim, just the idea of controlling it with the wiimote seems very appealing. Funny how that works.

Warlock
09-15-2006, 06:12 PM
dating sim

And how realistic would that simulation be? :P

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-15-2006, 10:31 PM
And how realistic would that simulation be? :P

I don't even want to start thinking about the possible horrors of a console with a phallus shaped controller.

Does the new Fire Emblem game count as an RTS? Dawn Goddess, or something like that?

Mak-X
09-16-2006, 01:31 PM
Sold! Another take on the Mana series. And there's one more month until Children comes out in the U.S.

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/mana/

The character designs are a bit weird though, looking at the art for Roger.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-16-2006, 08:22 PM
Awesome news. Even though I am not the biggest fan of RTS games, I will pick it up just because it is a Mana game.

In an off note...Mak-X? Holy. Shit. How in the hell have you been, man?

punkonjunk1024
09-21-2006, 09:31 PM
wtf is rts?

Warlock
09-21-2006, 09:50 PM
wtf is rts?

Real-Time Strategy. Like StarCraft, WarCraft, Command & Conquer, etc etc

Daarkseid
09-21-2006, 09:54 PM
I've been finding the use of the stylus on the DS to be quite enjoyable in itself(so far with my one DS game, Harvest Moon).

I'd love to try out an RTS with this system.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-23-2006, 11:11 AM
I've been finding the use of the stylus on the DS to be quite enjoyable in itself(so far with my one DS game, Harvest Moon).

Interesting you should say that, because Harvest Moon is widely considered to suck because it did not advance the touch screen like...at all.

I already purchased it, but have not fired it up yet. I probably will today.

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-23-2006, 10:26 PM

Advance Wars: Dual Strike is technically just an overhead strategy, and not a real-time strategy, but the stylus control makes things a whole lot easier when you're controlling large armies. Also makes the map editor a breeze. I highly recommend it, especially if you have someone to play against.

And although I've never had the fine opportunity to play against someone else (with multi-card multiplayer, since single card is never much good), Meteos is a fine example of a game that relies totally on the stylus and succeeds brilliantly.

Warlock
12-20-2006, 02:07 PM
Reviving this thread (rather than posting a new one). New preview up at 1up:
http://www.1up.com/do/previewPage?cId=3155956

I can't wait for this game. It's going to rock.

BTW, I'm impressed Square actually bothered to re-draw the sprites they have been recycling since the days of Seiken 3 (give or take the occassional "new enemy" they had to draw from scratch). I guess those old sprites were too big for the game :P

punkonjunk1024
12-20-2006, 02:19 PM
lets hope it doesn't suck like the mana game already out on DS. :( I am pretty saddened by that so far.

vegeta1215
12-20-2006, 10:44 PM
lets hope it doesn't suck like the mana game already out on DS. :( I am pretty saddened by that so far.

After reading all the bad things about that game and how it's been disappointing so many people, I think it may be the first Mana game I won't buy. (and if the trend continues I probably won't buy another Mana game again, save for an SD3 port)

I'm curious about the RTS game though.

punkonjunk1024
12-21-2006, 02:14 AM
Uh, really? did you... play the GBA one? I like those games alot, and that game blew, start to finish, and yes... I finished it.

Lotus_Eater
12-21-2006, 09:16 AM
I liked the GBA one, and enjoy the DS one when I need to blow time. It doesn't have a compelling story though. But the stage system is neat, just not very Mana like, it kinda reminds me of Four Sword Adventure for Gamecube, neat in it's own right, but not really fitting with the rest of the series.

vegeta1215
12-21-2006, 09:22 PM
Uh, really? did you... play the GBA one? I like those games alot, and that game blew, start to finish, and yes... I finished it.

I have the GBA game (Sword of Mana). Despite it being a remake of Final Fantasy Adventure, the original is much better.

Lotus_Eater
12-21-2006, 09:53 PM
I have really got to go back and replay FFA, I haven't done so in a long, long time.

EDIT: We need an FFA Tileset, that would be so cool, enhance it with some color, maybe blow up some tiles. Hmm, I better not, it may interfere with my Legend of the Holy Sword Set right now. But maybe I'll play with it a bit.

Warlock
12-21-2006, 11:08 PM
I have really got to go back and replay FFA, I haven't done so in a long, long time.

EDIT: We need an FFA Tileset, that would be so cool, enhance it with some color, maybe blow up some tiles. Hmm, I better not, it may interfere with my Legend of the Holy Sword Set right now. But maybe I'll play with it a bit.

http://www.purezc.com/index.php?page=tilesets&id=17

Dragon Omega
12-22-2006, 12:27 AM
...I just can't see a Mana game as anything but that. If the story is good, I don't care if it's a FPS. :mischief:

vegeta1215
12-22-2006, 11:52 AM
If the story is good, I don't care if it's a FPS. :mischief:

The Mana series has never had a strong story imo. The story has always been pretty generic. To me, the game being fun is what's important.

Warlock
12-22-2006, 12:01 PM
The Mana series has never had a strong story imo. The story has always been pretty generic. To me, the game being fun is what's important.

The old games had great story. Even Seiken 1 had a decent story for a Gameboy title of that era :P

Lotus_Eater
12-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Warlock, I am updating Zoramans tileset, and improving it, well at least in my eyes. I am not necessarily going strictly by SD3 or SoM, but rather trying to catch the feel in a way that fits Zelda Classic better.
Legend of the Holy Sword Tileset (http://www.purezc.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24647)

Anyways, I really think the story is what makes them shine, that and the strong flavor of the games. Anyways, I do look forward to this, and hopefully it will be a great game.

Dragon Omega
12-23-2006, 11:04 AM
A "good" story and a "strong" story are two different things. A Strong story is a story that keeps up with itself and doesn't leave any loose ends. A Good story is a story that keeps you entertained enough to finish the game, but also allows a chance for sequels if the creator were so inclined to do so. :mischief:

mrz84
12-24-2006, 02:29 PM
As long as I can enjoy it, I don't care if nobody else likes it. Example: I own and play both Unlimited Saga and Romancing Saga (both for PS2). People have told me they both suck beyond belief. I've played both and have to disagree. Maybe it's because I'm a game addict. I don't care. If I enjoy it, that's all that matters. These upcoming Mana games are no different. What I would like to see next is a SD3 port (but who here doesn't?)