PDA

View Full Version : Wii launch date/price revealed

goKi
09-14-2006, 01:09 AM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732669p1.html

This is as offical as we will get for the next 24 hours. I agree with this info, as the NY times is pretty much as reputable as it gets.

Now damn, i remember someone at AGN saying that there is no logical reason to launch it for under $250. Seems that Nintendo's extensive research seems to agree with this cadillac of men.

Orion
09-14-2006, 01:22 AM
I took a peek into the IGN forums when I saw this. They had themselves all hyped up that it was going to be $169 and release in October. It makes me laugh how wound up they are.

I hear it's coming with Wii Sports, which I think is pretty cool. If it came with 2 remotes, that would be even cooler. But either way, it's nice to finally know when I'm going to have to drop my money.

goKi
09-14-2006, 01:28 AM
$169. Hah, what a joke. It was always going to be higher than $199, either $229 or $249.

Dechipher
09-14-2006, 01:38 AM
250 with a game is actually a damn good deal if you think actually think about it...

goKi
09-14-2006, 02:02 AM
Apparantely there are reports of a December 2 launch in Japan.

MottZilla
09-14-2006, 02:14 AM
250$ with a game of your choice would be nice. I don't find Wii sports interesting at all. Still I'm not surprised.

*b*
09-14-2006, 04:21 AM
Oh sure, the day AFTER my birthday. Bastards...

Guess it's time to get a job so I can afford it

Darth Marsden
09-14-2006, 05:15 AM
Dammit, who cares about when it's released in the States? I wanna know when I can get it in the UK!

...but $250? That'd translate as about £175, I think. That wouldn't be too bad...

Beldaran
09-14-2006, 09:53 AM
the NY times is pretty much as reputable as it gets.

You might not know this since you don't live in the states, but the NYT has been under repeated controversy for fudging facts and literally making up stories out of nowhere.

Warlock
09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2006/09/14/live-at-nintendos-nyc-wii-press-conference/

The price I expected, though I'm a little disappointed the date is so late. At the very least I was expecting *early* November. Oh well.

BTW, the whole Wii Channels thing is kind of cool. Reminds me a little of Tivo. And it's neat that they are packaging an Opera browser with it.

Edit:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/topics/wii_preview/presentation/index.html

That is pretty neat. It's all in Japanese, but they have videos of pretty much all the Wii features on there (and you don't need those in English to understand what's going on).

Orion
09-14-2006, 11:20 AM
No word on an European release yet.. maybe they are pulling a Sony?

Anyway, console comes with the stand, the sensor bar, one remote and nunchuck, and Wii sports, which includes 5 games (I know of baseball, bowling, golf and tennis, but what's the 5th)

I like that there will be 30 VC games at launch, and I think the prices aren't too bad... 5 for NES, 8 for SNES, 10 for N64. Can't argue with that.

And ah yeah. The classic controller is an extra $20. And the box art is very apple-ish. Which isn't a bad thing.

It seems Metroid might miss launch, too. I could be wrong though, but it is hardly mentioned.

goKi
09-14-2006, 11:23 AM
European release date comes tomorrow. It will be a worldwide release, as they definately used the words 'worldwide' in both conferences, i understand.

Warlock
09-14-2006, 11:27 AM
European release date comes tomorrow. It will be a worldwide release, as they definately used the words 'worldwide' in both conferences, i understand.

No it's not being released until Dec. 2nd in Japan

goKi
09-14-2006, 11:32 AM
There's only two weeks difference there. I'd count that as worldwide.

DarkFlameWolf
09-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Haven't had time to look at all the information since I'm at BOT, but is that whole retro-classic downloading feature of old first party/third party games still a feature of the Wii? The retro-game library? Or was that finally taken out?

goKi
09-14-2006, 11:53 AM
It's definately still in there. They announced the prices of the virtual console games today, too.

$5 for NES (very overpriced, IMO)
$8 for SNES (a little overpriced)
$10 for N64 (pretty nice price)

EDIT - Wii.com (http://www.wii.com/) is now open with a bunch of movies and such regarding the new features. Looks pretty damn awesome.

MacWeirdo42
09-14-2006, 12:19 PM
The one thing, the ONE THING that really gets me down is that only one Wiimote is included, and extras are $40. One controller? WHAT!? Look, it's just that this whole "Wii" thing has been promoted to death, and I'm really annoyed by the fact that the first day, I have to go drop $40 if I want to be able to play against my friends. What the hell kind of crap is this? Okay, 10/10 for good business strategy, 'cause they're gonna make a lot of money from people buying extra controllers, but -several million out of 10 for good thinking. They promote it as a social thing, but give you one controller. Where's the sense in that? Grr...

Also, I may have missed it, is there any word on how much the classic controller will be.

goKi
09-14-2006, 12:29 PM
The controllers do seem to be a little expensive. But yes, upselling is a retailer's best friend.

Warlock
09-14-2006, 12:31 PM
The Nunchuck is also included. Otherwise, IIRC no system since the freaking SNES has released with more than one controller (I don't include no-names like CD-i or Jaguar which I have no idea about, or most of Sega's stuff except Dreamcast only because I also have no idea but also because Dreamcast was really their only "successful" console since Genesis :P). It's just too expensive.

And $40 is about standard for an extra controller these days (I'm talking 1st party of course) - not to mention it being wireless, having motion sensor technology, and a built-in speaker. Besides, the classic controller is only $20 which isn't bad (IIRC that's how much SNES controllers used to cost to put it in perspective)

P.S. - As far as game pricing, that's pretty much exactly what I expected. I'm actually even a little surprised it didn't go $5 -> $10 -> $15. Considering the fact that Nintendo can repackage NES/SNES games on the GBA and sell them for $25-35, and sell them WELL, $5/$8 is really kind of cheap for them :P

Also notice they went with a "Wii Points" system instead of just "NES games are $5". They are "500 Wii Points". That just screams giveaways, free games with purchases (i.e. maybe if you buy Metroid Prime 3 you'll get a free copy of Metroid 1 in VC), promotions, etc. I suspect there will be other "free" (free in quotes because it will probably involve something like buying other games) promotions to get them too.

MottZilla
09-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Like Warlock said, the Wii controller is fairly complicated and the price is totally understandable. You are still getting a good deal on the Wii. It certainly is tempting but I'm not buying it right when it comes out. Ofcourse you never know, I could be bored by then and buy it. Ofcourse Gears of War comes out around then too... Hmm...

Cloral
09-14-2006, 12:51 PM
The one thing, the ONE THING that really gets me down is that only one Wiimote is included, and extras are $40.

Hey, the wireless controllers for the 360 are $50. So $40 isn't that bad.

I'm kinda bummed that MP3 is going to miss launch. The guy at e3 said that the game was basically done when they were demoing it (and what they showed us sure as hell felt complete), so I'm a bit surprised.

BTW, here's a list of the Japanese Wii titles for launch, post launch, and further down the line:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157582.html
This isn't exactly how it will be over here I'm sure, but it should be relatively close. I think the games I'll preorder are Zelda, Red Steel, and Warioware. Warioware is a great game for getting used to the controller as it asks you to use it in a whole variety of ways.

And Orion, the 5th Wii Sports game is boxing.

One more thing: It's been confirmed that Zelda isn't going to come out on the GCN until a couple weeks after it is available on the Wii.

Warlock
09-14-2006, 01:03 PM
Hey, the wireless controllers for the 360 are $50. So $40 isn't that bad.

I'm kinda bummed that MP3 is going to miss launch. The guy at e3 said that the game was basically done when they were demoing it (and what they showed us sure as hell felt complete), so I'm a bit surprised.

BTW, here's a list of the Japanese Wii titles for launch, post launch, and further down the line:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6157582.html
This isn't exactly how it will be over here I'm sure, but it should be relatively close. I think the games I'll preorder are Zelda, Red Steel, and Warioware. Warioware is a great game for getting used to the controller as it asks you to use it in a whole variety of ways.

And Orion, the 5th Wii Sports game is boxing.

One more thing: It's been confirmed that Zelda isn't going to come out on the GCN until a couple weeks after it is available on the Wii.

In regards to MP3, I suspect they decided last minute to change something. I know IGN mentioned the control was a little ackward because the camera did not move with your gun (like EVERY other FPS out there) - Red Steel was the same. Maybe they are changing that? Or maybe it's something else.

Oh, and for the Japanese list, it's hard to say because it's not coming out till December 2nd in Japan. So some of those may be December titles and not launch titles for us. I wish they would post a US launch list :( But at the very least it should be close (within a month or two unless it comes out later here than in Japan).

goKi
09-14-2006, 01:04 PM
I think MP3 may be delayed so they can work on WiFi features. I can't think of any other reason.

Warlock
09-14-2006, 01:05 PM
I think MP3 may be delayed so they can work on WiFi features. I can't think of any other reason.

Yeah that would be a good reason. BTW, I looked at that list and it's definately incomplete. At the very least it's missing Metal Slug Anthology which is a confirmed launch title. Unless Japan is not getting that game (which would be wierd).

Cloral
09-14-2006, 01:28 PM
In regards to MP3, I suspect they decided last minute to change something. I know IGN mentioned the control was a little ackward because the camera did not move with your gun (like EVERY other FPS out there) - Red Steel was the same. Maybe they are changing that? Or maybe it's something else.

Actually that would be a good change. It was kinda nice to be able to aim within your vision without actually having to turn your view (like you could in real life), but at the same time it did make it harder to aim.

MottZilla
09-14-2006, 01:41 PM
Metroid Prime 3 could also simply be delayed a short while if Nintendo is trying not to flood the gate, and save something for later on which is good game porfolio mangement I'd think. The FPS Aiming/Control system is of great concern to me. It sounds very interesting but it could just as easily turn out annoying/bad. I play Perfect Dark Zero like everyday, so I'll notice if a FPS plays shitty where as someone who doesn't play FPS games as often might not.

Oh and the other reaspn MP3 may seem like it's delayed is if you guys are looking at the japanese release list. The japanese versions of all the recent Metroid games has generally been delayed way beyond the english releases.

Warlock
09-14-2006, 01:52 PM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732737p1.html

Just wanted to point out I was 100% right. MP3 now has a PC-style FPS control scheme (but it's an added thing, so it controls both ways now) Boo-yah!

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-14-2006, 01:54 PM
$5 for NES (very overpriced, IMO)
$8 for SNES (a little overpriced)
$10 for N64 (pretty nice price)

As Warlock mentioned, when the NES classic titles are going for $20 minimum at launch, remakes going for 30 or 40 (for GBA or DS respectively), those prices are actually very reasonable. Especially since buying the original versions for your real NES will cost you far, far more. Something tells me that ebay resellers are going to see a dip in profits because of this.

Releasing the week before thanksgiving is probably a good idea. Big N wants to move a lot of consoles on black friday, and I'm certain they will. Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll even see some package deals that will make the system even more worth buying.

MottZilla
09-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Virtual Console will have only a positive effect for collectors of real cartridges, but yes probably a negitive effect on sellers. Some of us like myself though, don't like the idea of paying for ROMs, I want something physical.

Warlock
09-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Virtual Console will have only a positive effect for collectors of real cartridges, but yes probably a negitive effect on sellers. Some of us like myself though, don't like the idea of paying for ROMs, I want something physical.

But the good thing about ROMs is that it's very easy to change them, thus say, adding new levels to NES games or cool stuff like that.

MottZilla
09-14-2006, 05:01 PM
But the good thing about ROMs is that it's very easy to change them, thus say, adding new levels to NES games or cool stuff like that.

No it's not. Changing ROMs is difficult and often done incorrectly causing them to only function on inaccurate emulators. Changing old games is best done by having the source code. Sadly much of the source code for older games have been lost. Forinstance the original Mortal Kombat, the source code is gone into oblivion, or perhaps on some old computer disks in unknowning hands. That is often why companies doing compilations/ports resort to emulation. By the way, Metal Slug Collection = Yummy goodness arcade action. Now they just need to release Kof 98' and 99' in some collection, and Garou Mark of the Wolves. After that we need Capcom to release that Capcom Classics Collection on Wii.

Orion
09-14-2006, 05:17 PM
Keep in mind those are minimum prices for the VC games, they could get more expensive. But it sounds like Square Enix is on board VC.

Boxing doesn't sound too bad. I'm really glad that Wii Sports is packed in. I just can't see it selling by itself. I do wish Duck Hunt were a part of that though, how cool would that have been?

Sound like the DVD playback thing got dropped too. Which I guess doesn't bother me. I have enough things that play DVD's, and that's just one more thing to add cost to the Wii and wear down it's laser.

Warlock
09-14-2006, 05:23 PM
No it's not. Changing ROMs is difficult and often done incorrectly causing them to only function on inaccurate emulators. Changing old games is best done by having the source code. Sadly much of the source code for older games have been lost. Forinstance the original Mortal Kombat, the source code is gone into oblivion, or perhaps on some old computer disks in unknowning hands. That is often why companies doing compilations/ports resort to emulation. By the way, Metal Slug Collection = Yummy goodness arcade action. Now they just need to release Kof 98' and 99' in some collection, and Garou Mark of the Wolves. After that we need Capcom to release that Capcom Classics Collection on Wii.

I see fan-mods all the time for old NES/SNES games. They'll change the graphics, level layouts and everything. The code obviously isn't easy to change, but they could certainly add more levels to the thing.

MottZilla
09-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Again, you don't have a grasp on how it works. To "add" to a game requires often changing the game's code. To edit what is already there to an extent is easier. And again just because fans are capable of it, doesn't mean Nintendo would bother. Although it would be nice to see Square bother to finally release Seiken Densetsu 3 for SNES on Wii, as well as Nintendo to release Star Fox 2.

Orion you have a point there. You wouldn't buy Wii sports by itself, and it does make a good pack-in freebie, as long as you see it that way and not as a bundle type of deal (i.e. including Metroid Prime with a GameCube).

Many gaming sites see today as being "Wii day" because of all the news. This kind of thing makes me want the system, but it seems so far off and again isn't exactly cheap, only cheap by comparison. I am quite tempted to set aside the funds and buy one right when it comes out. But at the same time, Gears of War is coming in November too. I think I'm screwwed though and just have to buy both of them. :O

Orion
09-14-2006, 06:15 PM
Ha. Yeah, it's going to be expensive couple months for me. I shouldn't be buying games like this anymore, but Okami, Guitar Hero 2, FF3, and Yoshi's Island 2 are all coming out as well this fall.

MP3's delay is probably a good thing for my checkbook...

zeldafan500
09-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Yeah the Wii will be awsome... Look at this twilight princess screenshot.http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k200/shadowcelibi/Darknut_2-1.jpg
*99th POST! 1 MORE POST TO GO BEFORE I HAVE 100 POSTS!!!!!!!*

Tygore
09-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Also notice they went with a "Wii Points" system instead of just "NES games are $5". They are "500 Wii Points". That just screams giveaways, free games with purchases (i.e. maybe if you buy Metroid Prime 3 you'll get a free copy of Metroid 1 in VC), promotions, etc. I suspect there will be other "free" (free in quotes because it will probably involve something like buying other games) promotions to get them too.

It also allows people who are hesitant about making purchaces over the internet to buy points in stores.

goKi
09-15-2006, 09:20 AM
Australian launch on December 7th for $399. That date is a bit late, which sucks, but still, one day before Europe's launch which is December 8, and £179 / €249

Warlock
09-15-2006, 11:50 AM
http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20060915.jpg

Also, this is kind of funny:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/14/an-honest-question-wouldnt-you-rather-companies-subsidize-your/

Read that, then read Tycho's comments on it (near the bottom of that first post):
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/09/15

The guy also wrote another post bashing Penny Arcade:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/15/penny-arcade-responds-to-our-hideous-editorial-misses-the-poi/

It's all pretty hilarious.

MottZilla
09-16-2006, 08:00 PM
Another day another bunch of Wii news. Here's a new trailer for Red Steel it seems. http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=10116

They say it shows improvements and what not. It looks cool. I gotta get money together for the Wii. I'm still somewhat worried about the controls though. Still I can name several titles I'd be interested at launch (or within the launch window they say). Elebits, Excite Truck, Red Steel, Super Monkey Ball, Metroid Prime 3, and saving the best for last, Zelda. I am also somewhat interested in this Pokemon game and the new Pokemon games for DS. I ignored Pokemon after they had Gold and Silver and those other versions past Red/Blue. I've briefly played Sapphire or Ruby for GBA which was good. The thing is it seems to be more like a Pokemon Stadium for Wii, with the DS being the portables which apparently can link via Wifi with your Wii and you can battle your pokemon online.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-16-2006, 08:29 PM
Honestly, there was not one piece of Wii news that disappointed me. I will have plenty of money saved up, and I will have AT LEAST the Wii and Twilight Princess on launch day. I have never been more excited about Nintendo's future, and God, bring me Zelda.

MottZilla
09-17-2006, 01:45 AM
Haha. I know what you mean. Unlike Wind Waker, I am rather excited to try out this Zelda game and I am definitely considering going after it at launch, preordering it if needed I suppose. There are 6 launch window titles I'm interested in, and a couple more I wouldn't mind playing. That's pretty damn good for launch.

Grasshopper
09-17-2006, 07:15 PM
Also, this is kind of funny:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/14/an-honest-question-wouldnt-you-rather-companies-subsidize-your/

Read that, then read Tycho's comments on it (near the bottom of that first post):
http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/09/15

The guy also wrote another post bashing Penny Arcade:
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/15/penny-arcade-responds-to-our-hideous-editorial-misses-the-poi/

It's all pretty hilarious.

Yeah it is. I don't even get that whole argument either. Wii is still cheaper, so what is their point? I get more for my money, so I should spend more? I don't buy bulk for same reason. I don't care to buy a huge tub of peanuts that cost more just for the sake of getting more peanuts. Sure I like peanuts, and I do get more for my money, but I don't want that many peanuts. I don't want to spend more money on something I'm going to waste. And thats where this comes down to. Most of you all here agree that you don't think the PS3 is worth it. In comparison, I'll be wasting my hardware. I'll spend all this money on good hardware only to waste it because there is nothing out, nothing I want to play, or nothing good on it. And I think that Joystiq article fails to understand that. Wii may be a total flop, but at least thats less money I loose in the long run.

MottZilla
09-17-2006, 10:47 PM
Wii won't flop. Worst case scenario would probably be a slowed down stream of games and fewer overall like the GC. If things go well for Nintendo they will expand the market, Sony will drop the ball badly with PS3 as they did PSP, and Nintendo will reap the benifits from that. The thing is there isn't alot of room for error on Nintendo's part and even less room if Sony and M$ are ontop of their game. Nintendo needs to fight hard to keep clawwing its way to the top again.

Joystiq and other media either like the Wii and are hopeful or they hate it and they are Sony/M$ fanboys. Take their retarded comments lightly. Be worried about people that are optimistic about Wii but still concerned about certain aspects. They are the ones actually thinking.