PDA

View Full Version : to all of us who thought Montreal Schools were safe...

Aegix Drakan
09-13-2006, 03:02 PM
There was a school shooting at Dawson college.

I was in class at the time, and I don't have the details, but apparently, at least two gunmen (one was reportedly a student) wearing black trench coats burst into the school, and started shooting.

Here is the link to the story at CTV's web page. (http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20060913/montreal_shooting_060913/20060913?hub=TopStories)

And I almost went to that college...

Stuff like this sickens me, because all this does is harm innocent victims, not the system, or whatever the hell else these deranged people are trying to destroy.

I never expected something like this to happen so close to home...

lord_jamitossi
09-13-2006, 05:36 PM
HO. LY. SHIT.

We were eating at Pizza Hut in town when my friend Mark's cellphone went off. He looked concerned about something but didn't say anything... We got back to the res and I went on the CBC site... jeese.

So yeah. I'm going to Vanier, another college in Montreal. I got back to school this afternoon and every last person in the place was on their phones. Apparently Mark's friend has been shot in the leg and one of my other friends still hasn't accounted for one person. Hopefully everything will be okay for them.

The police shot down one gunman, but all the news sites are really sketchy about whether or not there was a second. I've heard rumors that there are up to 3, and that one commited suicide.

I'll keep you guys informed if I find out more. I'm totally freaking out right now.

Rainman
09-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm not sure why Montreal is supposed to be exempt from violence.

lord_jamitossi
09-13-2006, 07:27 PM
It isn't, that's the thing. There's the École Polytechnique shooting that happened in 89, and there was something similar to this that happened at Concordia University (right up the street from the school that was attacked this time) a few years ago.

They're more definate on the numbers now. It was only one gunman, who wasn't a student at the school (what a creep!) and one woman in her 20s was killed. There are 19 other people injured.
That might not seem like a lot to some of you, but this is huge for Canada. We don't get as many crazed gunmen as... other places.

There doesn't seem to be a motive so far, but something is screaming at me that this is somehow language-related. People from outside of Quebec might not understand the dynamics, but there are some (really stupid and ignorant) Québecois-type people who absolutely hate anything to do with English. The fact that this shooting happened at one of the few english schools among all the french schools is not to be ignored. Or it could be an english person who wanted to get back at someone in perticular. Who knows?

Archibaldo
09-13-2006, 07:59 PM
Shit some of my friends who I graduated with this spring are going to Dawson. But yeah, it seems school shootings and murders seem to be popping up quite often recently. I know at the college I`m currently attending there was a girl who got raped and murdered some years back. What is this world coming to?

To build on Jamitossi`s point. Yeah, some of the french here in quebec arn`t quite fond of the english. I recall seeing several "Fuck Anglish" written on the bathroom walls at my highschool. Plus some of the francophones here may treat you poorly if you`re not a francophone.

P.S. French keyboards FTL!

erm2003
09-13-2006, 08:06 PM
I read about this story on Yahoo before I came on here. I remembered that quite a few people were going to college in Montreal and how close this hits to home. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you, your friends, and anyone else who has been effected by this horrible event.

Aegix Drakan
09-13-2006, 09:52 PM
HO. LY. SHIT.
Apparently Mark's friend has been shot in the leg and one of my other friends still hasn't accounted for one person. Hopefully everything will be okay for them.

0_0 one of your freind's freinds was among the wounded? SHIT. That must hit REALLY close to home... >_< my hopes are with him, and I hope he heals.

And yes, you probably are right, this is most likely a language-fueled crime. Quebec is full of stupid stuff like that (I'm looking at YOU, bill 101). I'm beginning to think that leaving this province would be a healthy option...

(BTW, I happen to go to champlain college.)

goKi
09-15-2006, 02:38 AM
Watching the news today. Apparantely he kept a blog online, where he said 'life is like a video game, you have to die sometime.', and listed a game called 'Super Columbine Massacre' as one of his favourite games.

This is a god damn Jack Thompson fairground.

Aegix Drakan
09-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Watching the news today. Apparantely he kept a blog online, where he said 'life is like a video game, you have to die sometime.',

:mad: that's the second time I've heard someone say that. and it pisses me off. people like this are a disgrace to the entire gaming community. first there was the Grand-theft-auto imitator, and now a psycho with a gun! just...WTF! why can't they distinguish reality from the game?

Jigglysaint
09-15-2006, 12:57 PM
The worst part is there is almost nothing you can do to stop these kinds of things. You could revoke people's right to freedom of speech, or you could let everybody carry guns, or maybe make it easier to kill somebody who's behaving badly. But seriously though, it's sad to hear teenagers who turn to the dark side. It seems more common, and I am sure the internet does play a role.

I heard that this person posted at a hate forum on-line. I know freedom of speech indicates that people have the right to express their hatred at things, but perhaps the time has come where these groups need to be payed attention to, as their words can incite hatred and violence in the real world. I want to see servers destroyed ala bottles of moonshine in the 20's. However, such a plan would be hard to implement without giving authorities the right to eliminate other things like rom groups, or anti-Bush sites.

goKi
09-15-2006, 01:00 PM
The news report highlighted his love for violent games, and not the fact that he frequented a site filled with a bunch of antisocial creeps.

biggiy05
09-15-2006, 05:40 PM
The news report highlighted his love for violent games, and not the fact that he frequented a site filled with a bunch of antisocial creeps.

They ALWAYS go for the games. "OMFG games are ruining our youth! They shot an animated zombie that has a penis for an arm!!!" It's the first thing they go for because everyone believes that games are the reason there is so much violence today.

Rethink your strategy there folks. Games are not the sole reason for violence.

Breaker
09-15-2006, 06:08 PM
and not the fact that he frequented a site filled with a bunch of antisocial creeps.

one kind of like AGN?

Lilith
09-16-2006, 01:24 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/instantdecay/1158321463615.jpg

goKi
09-16-2006, 02:04 AM
one kind of like AGN?

Like AGN, but with less furries.

MottZilla
09-16-2006, 12:06 PM
That's why you have consealed carry laws. Once enough nut jobs open fire on seemingly passive unthreatening people and get shot up like swiss cheese, people might not be so retarded as to go do something like that. As soon as someone else with a gun shows up their crap their pants and get scared. So why not let anyone in the mix be armed and solve the problem immediately.