PDA

View Full Version : SOS! SFX Sometimes But Music, Never

ChainLink
09-13-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm new and not exactly sure of what drives the sound in Z2.10. I understand
the music is Midi format and I'm guessing Allegro (or whatever it is) is a midi player. Is this something I need to download seperately? I've seen throughout
the forums players accessing or adjusting settings in an .exe or setup file related to music settings and/or the Midi player. Is this something that should be in my ZC root folder? I do not have such a file. Do I need a dedicated soundcard to hear both music and SFX? Sound is working regularly for the rest of my system. Sometimes the listen button is inactive and sometimes it
is active but pressing it does nothing. The SFX come and go in patterns I
can not figure out. Sometimes the first tone plays and gets stuck for the
opening original Zelda title screen, sometimes it plays 1 drumbeat (?????)
and stops. I hope this is a simple matter and I'm just missing something
spectacularly easy, but I suspect not. Then again, you guys have probably
heard it all, so any help you have is appreciated. I want to get all I can
out of this wonderful creation. Thanks!

Rakki
09-13-2006, 01:40 AM
I can't comprehend how you managed to get a full release of Zelda Classic WITHOUT Allegro, but, the lack of music bug is a known bug for 2.10. Download the 2.10 support files (should be on the Downloads page of the ZC site) and unzip the Allegro file from there, into your Zelda Classic directory, and then see if that fixes it, but if the music still doesn't work, then you're pretty much boned. On my old computer, music didn't work in 2.10, but on this one, which is from last year, it does. The music bug itself will be fixed in future versions, however, and it already is in the current beta versions.

Nicholas Steel
09-13-2006, 02:46 AM
no... he is not missing allegro... what he was talking about was the dos sound configurator.... which is not needed if he is using the windows version.

ChainLink
09-13-2006, 02:47 AM
Thanks for your help Rakki, but the link for downloading "Support Archive 2.10" is broken. I've searched through all ZC files and find no .exe other than ZC, ZQ and uninstall. Possible relevent files: ag.cfg, alleg41.dll, allegro.log, lleg40.dll. No setup. No files are hiding, hidden or otherwise. Any other ideas on this one please help.

Franpa, is there a Windows configuration editor? It sounds like not, if so then is this
just another case of a bug yet to be fixed as Rakki said?

Let me direct one more question to Rakki, also: does your newer computer have
something more substantial in the way of a soundcard or is that not even an issue
here. I have an aging HP and it doesn't have much in the way of upgrades as far
as sound goes.

mirror_shield33
09-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Do you have realplayer on your computer? I've found that that prevents the midis from playing in the game.

ChainLink
09-15-2006, 10:15 PM
Yes, I do have RealPlayer. Will removing RealPlayer fix the bug? Is there a way to disable RealPlayer to keep it from conflicting w/ ZQuest? Thanks
for your help!

erm2003
09-16-2006, 09:57 AM
The RealPlayer thing may not be it. I have always had that installed on my computer and I have not had that problem. Have you tried downloading ZC 2.11 beta 13 from the beta forms to see if you are still having the same problem with that version?

Rakki
09-18-2006, 01:25 AM
Oh snap, I'd be surprised if it WASN'T your computer, ChainLink. I had an HP before my current one too, and that's the one on which the music didn't work in 2.10. =/

ChainLink
09-19-2006, 01:51 AM
Erm2003, I will give that a try. Thanks for helping out (Rakki, Mirror_Shield too). It's fun and cool making quests but it's not the same without the music. I am getting a solid hang of the basics (but am having trouble changing the colors -the palette- of items. Maybe I'll post that one too.

And I hope it's not my HP! I'm not going to be able to get a new computer for quite awhile! Argh! Another thing, FYI, RealPlayer is on my system but it is not active anywhere (not on the icon bar, not in the active program list, nada, zip, so I don't think it's a factor, at least I hope). One more item of interest: I DID find out why I sometimes get SFX and sometimes not. If I have ZQuest open in the background and ZC in the foreground...no SFX. If just ZC is open...SFX are
OK. It DOES make sense that they'd use the same system. DOH! Working too many hours...not enough Zelda...the pain. Keep me posted, all. I appreciate it. =)

migokalle
09-19-2006, 03:13 AM
i had a problem like that a while back.... what i had to do was turning up the volume on windows media player! just try to put up the sound on a player like that(or every player you have).... hope it helps:)

mirror_shield33
09-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Just because realplayer isn't on the taskbar or anything doesn't mean it doesn't affect your computer. Try deleting it from the program files folder on your C drive. If there's no difference, just download and install it again.

"Well, just try it, OK?" -- running dude in ALTTP

Nicholas Steel
09-21-2006, 07:21 PM
wow i so forgot about this thread... only found it again due to some i think positive rep from the author of this thread...
-----
do not delete realplayer.... uninstall it through the use of start menu --> settings --> control panel --> add/remove programs.

choose it from the list and hit the remove button bottom right.

ChainLink
11-24-2006, 02:39 AM
I'm not sure that ZC uses Windows Media Player, but I'll give every idea a try. Alas, in this case, it had no effect. I've pulled a couple of posts from the forum that might help. I haven't loaded 2.11 yet or tried completely deleting RealPlayer yet. Will keep updating -been sick for quite awhile:( -it's good to be back -and still among the living:) Thanks for the help...and yes Franpa, good help is promised good rep.