PDA

View Full Version : Double the number of FFCs per screen

_L_
09-12-2006, 02:50 AM
Because with the advent of scripting, some of the more ambitious ideas are likely to be crimped by the 32 FFCs per screen limit.

Suppose that you've got a scripted Helmasaur King (http://www.zeldalegends.net/gallery/categories/A_Link_to_the_Past/Sprites/Enemies/Bosses/media/HelmasaurKing1.gif) boss. Remember that every segment of Helmasaur King's tail has to be its own FFC. Now toss in a bunch of other effects: a stamping attack that causes rubble to fall from the ceiling, or maybe a volley of custom projectiles. Pretty soon, you're going to run out of FFC slots to use for the fragments of mask that break off whenever you whack it with the hammer.

Also, consider carry-over FFCs that every screen will use. Like a series of linked FFCs that display the time, BSZelda-style. They'll be eating away at FFC slots as well.

Not that somebody won't think of an idea that not even 64 FFCs can make, but on the whole it'll provide a level of comfort for those with many FFC-heavy ideas.

Tygore
09-12-2006, 03:06 AM
64 scripted FFCs running at once? I doubt that ZC could handle that sort of load, or at least in the range of memory use we're trying to shoot for.

jman2050
09-12-2006, 09:29 AM
the biggest issue in doing this is memory. We're already gobbling up major loads of memory just to implement the scripting. However, I do think ZC would be able to handle the load of running 64 FFCs at once, provided their scripts don't take forever to execute.

Rakki
09-13-2006, 01:53 AM
...Time for an engine rewrite, yes? XD I'm kidding, but not that much, of course. :p