PDA

View Full Version : What happened to music today

phattonez
09-11-2006, 07:28 PM
First up, rock.What happened? It used to be creatvie, daring, something that people had never heard before. What has it degraded into? All the lyrics and music are the same. Everything in the songs has been heard before, all of the music is simple. Then there's the screamers, goths, and punks. Why does this even exist? The world is depressing enough, we don't need people who are pissed at everything to be popular.

Next, hip-hop/rap. Ever since some time in the 90's, it has become completely uncreative. All the rappers talk about how many girls they've laid, how crunk they get, and how they get high in the club. What happened to the poerty and artistry we saw in the 80's? It was urban poetry with music, a great invention. What happened to creativeness?

My explanation: the man. Yes, the man. People are only into music for the money. All they're looking for is to get some money and just throw out there what they think people will like. If drugs are popular, then the song is about drugs. If busting a cap is popular, then they'll sing about busting caps. There's no creativity in music today, and I find myself not listening to today's music. I'm listening now to older bands and hip hop groups and whoever is not in for money.

I just needed to rant because that Kevin Federline song is pissing me off.

Dechipher
09-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Pop music is getting a lot better, actually. Creativity is good, but not as neccesarily as writing a kickass song. There was nothing super original about Hey Jude, but the song still owns.

As far as Hip Hop goes, it's all about the beat. Hip-Hop and Dance music are just for people in clubs to dance to it. That's why they exist.

Music today is good, it's just you have to know where to look.

phattonez
09-11-2006, 10:54 PM
I've heard hip hop (and this is only radio hip hop) and I hate all of it. It's all completely fake. None of those guys are really like that, so how can I listen to something that's a complete lie.

With rock, I may be looking in the wrong places, I haven't listened to it's underground.

I've just gotten angry with how people with no artistic talent have radio time.

moocow
09-11-2006, 11:02 PM
A majority of the stuff I listen to is older. I'm really into the 90's grunge rock, the stuff where the lyrics make absolutely no sense, and classic rock. I like 80's hair bands and shit like that too. I've had my run with rap, and I'm not a huge fan of it unless I'm at a club of sorts, but I don't ever go to clubs so yeah. I admit I listen to quite a bit of the new stuff, especially on the radio, just because I like it.

I also have friends in metal bands and I go to their shows... but to be honest, I have NO IDEA what their lyrics are. For any of the bands, ha. Well, 'cept for one band, they're Nirvana wannabes.

Tygore
09-11-2006, 11:04 PM
My explanation: the man. Yes, the man. People are only into music for the money.

Do you honestly think that any bands have ever NOT been about the money? Yes, there are artists who love their music, but if it doesn't sell do you think that they're going to try hard to get their music out there? It's a buisiness. There's no conspiracy to keep the good music off the radio, but the stuff that gets the most listeners gets sold. In fact, if more artists weren't so concerned with "selling out" and would actually attempt to get their stuff published, the radio music quality would vastly improve.

Beldaran
09-11-2006, 11:27 PM
As someone who was in a band that got popular locally and got a manager from MTV and was about to be groomed into "The Next Thing" I can tell you that the music business is more rotten, depressing, and corrupt than you can imagine.

/me left and went back to college to preserve his integrity and peace of mind

Rainman
09-11-2006, 11:46 PM
In today's modern world of internets, there is no reason to worry about what music is popular. There is sure to be good music out there somewhere whether it is well-known or obscure. Seek it out and listen to that. Don't worry about what's on the radio.

phattonez
09-12-2006, 01:12 AM
Do you honestly think that any bands have ever NOT been about the money? Yes, there are artists who love their music, but if it doesn't sell do you think that they're going to try hard to get their music out there? It's a buisiness. There's no conspiracy to keep the good music off the radio, but the stuff that gets the most listeners gets sold. In fact, if more artists weren't so concerned with "selling out" and would actually attempt to get their stuff published, the radio music quality would vastly improve.

Sure, bands have been about the money mostly, but they also brought something new. Money was something that came with the career. There's now no creativity, it is all about money.

And I know that there's music out there that's good, but I'm surrounded by music that's on the radio, and it just annoys me now. I'll change my mind once I hear something new on the radio.

Lilith
09-12-2006, 07:55 AM
Turn off the radio, lol. I know it's an amazing concept.

Music on the radio is a business, deal with it. You're basically listening to the music MARKET and complaining about bands doing things for money, lawlz. I haven't listened to the radio in like 5 years now but I listen to music everyday, popular and unpopular. Lol omg how do I do it? IDK!

I'm listening to Tatu, then I'm going to listen to Front Line Assembly. WHAT, POP AND INDUSTRIAL WITHIN TWO MINUTES? This is Captain Planet shit.

Dechipher
09-12-2006, 08:42 AM
Turn off the radio, lol. I know it's an amazing concept.

Music on the radio is a business, deal with it. You're basically listening to the music MARKET and complaining about bands doing things for money, lawlz. I haven't listened to the radio in like 5 years now but I listen to music everyday, popular and unpopular. Lol omg how do I do it? IDK!

I'm listening to Tatu, then I'm going to listen to Front Line Assembly. WHAT, POP AND INDUSTRIAL WITHIN TWO MINUTES? This is Captain Planet shit.
....which brings me to my next point, kids.

Don't smoke crack.

Modus Ponens
09-12-2006, 12:02 PM
My favorite band is They Might Be Giants. I'm sure there are a few haters here who'll blast me for that, but they're really damn clever. Their lyrics are smart, and their chord progressions are often unique. They're a good band.

MANDRAG GANON
09-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Then there's the screamers, goths, and punks. Why does this even exist?

If you find the right band of all of these genres you'll see why these exist. You listen to certain Death Metal bands, holy christ it'll blow your mind how well those people can play thier instruments. :googly: Although the screaming can get quite annoying, you find the right ones and they are great. Gotta find the ones with varity and range in thier voice other wise it just sound like white noise. Who eveer said these kinds of music were depressing? In the way of screamers, I've heard alot with very inspiring and triumphant lyrics which would more make you feel awesome rather than depressed. Although these bands cross into Epic and Power Metal as well. Punk was a kind of music that generally challenged the music industry and made them change, if this never happened I imagine music would be alot less Hard. As for goth... anything thats classed as goth that Ive ever really listened to wasn't really depressing, more of a creepy sounding music than depressing. Although I dunno what you class as goth because I'm sure theres tons of different ideas as to what goth is.

Music on the radio isn't even written by most of those people becasue there always some one breathing down thier neck telling them, change that it wont make us anymoney. Thats where the creativity gets lost. Every blue moon theres a rare good band on the radio. Once that good band comes out then theres a shit load of imitators to water everything down so you think its all shit though.

I listen to all kind of music from Death Metal to Rap, J-pop to Motown. You name it, you just have to find the right artist. Good music is everywhere on the net, although you gotta be careful there too because there still alot of shit :S.

Dunno wtf your talking about dechipher, Lilith seems to be quite in the know to me.

lord_jamitossi
09-14-2006, 07:09 PM
Ah, here I go.

I'm an Indie Rocker. I listen to Broken Social Scene (on haitus as far as I've heard.... it's hard to keep a group of 30+ musicians together for too long :) ). The genre is still fairly unknown but it's wonderful. As a musician, I can totally relate to a lot of the stuff they do (The have a song in 7/4, for example) and every time you listen to it, it's different.
They're definately an aquired taste, but I think it's awsome. By the way, Indie stands for Independant. All the best indie bands have their own labels. The Arcade Fire, who were immensly popular for a while, are completely self-produced. So they can actually say that it's not for The Man.

I can totally agree about what I'm hearing on the radio. Most stuff is just awful (3 chords in an entire song? WTF?) and seeing as we're on the subject, FIFTY CENT IS AWFUL AND I CAN'T SEE HOW HE SOLD A SINGLE CD. When did it become okay to make a song about "sucking the lollypop"?
There are a few jems though. Wyclef Jean is an actually good rapper (though I'm not into rap, I can stand it) and there are still some good punk bands out there. You should check out Flashlight Brown. They're fairly unknown but their CD kicks some serious ass.

Also, I think everyone in the world should listen to Belle & Sebastian. They have the most relaxing music ever.

zeldafan500
09-14-2006, 08:08 PM
I actually don't really like music, but yeah, it is getting repetitive.
*97th post! only 3 more posts until i have 100 posts!*

Dechipher
09-15-2006, 01:12 AM
If you find the right band of all of these genres you'll see why these exist. You listen to certain Death Metal bands, holy christ it'll blow your mind how well those people can play thier instruments. :googly: Although the screaming can get quite annoying, you find the right ones and they are great. Gotta find the ones with varity and range in thier voice other wise it just sound like white noise. Who eveer said these kinds of music were depressing? In the way of screamers, I've heard alot with very inspiring and triumphant lyrics which would more make you feel awesome rather than depressed. Although these bands cross into Epic and Power Metal as well. Punk was a kind of music that generally challenged the music industry and made them change, if this never happened I imagine music would be alot less Hard. As for goth... anything thats classed as goth that Ive ever really listened to wasn't really depressing, more of a creepy sounding music than depressing. Although I dunno what you class as goth because I'm sure theres tons of different ideas as to what goth is.

Music on the radio isn't even written by most of those people becasue there always some one breathing down thier neck telling them, change that it wont make us anymoney. Thats where the creativity gets lost. Every blue moon theres a rare good band on the radio. Once that good band comes out then theres a shit load of imitators to water everything down so you think its all shit though.

I listen to all kind of music from Death Metal to Rap, J-pop to Motown. You name it, you just have to find the right artist. Good music is everywhere on the net, although you gotta be careful there too because there still alot of shit :S.

Dunno wtf your talking about dechipher, Lilith seems to be quite in the know to me.
I agree, it's just that the delivery was kinda cracked out. Which is all good, I just wanted to quote the Waterboy.

moocow
09-15-2006, 10:12 AM
I actually don't really like music, but yeah, it is getting repetitive.

Blasphemy!

You mean, you honest to God don't like music?