PDA

View Full Version : Features you want in ZC Final

jman2050
09-11-2006, 05:19 PM
I'm making this poll because we're kinda debating what features should be in the next stable release of C. We're working on the many bugs in the program, most of which have been fixed (the grabber for example is now almost completely functional. Thank DN for that one), but there are some features that we want included but not sure if you would like them before we release the newest stable version or afterwards for the next version (which might take a while to come out). You can choose any of the three features listed above, or if you prefer, select none of the above. The three choices are: a completed item editor with full scripting capabilities, the new dialogue editor, and a rudimentary(incomplete but functional) enemy editor. Your input will greatly determine which direction we go with this.

Tygore
09-11-2006, 05:37 PM
I voted Item and Rudimentary Enemy. Dialogue would be nice, but can be done without. Items would be fine if what we saw in 12.9 worked and was fully fleshed out, if necessary script support for items can wait for the next release (but would still be nice if we could have it now).
EDIT: I just realized that, sans scripting, the z-series items are a little lacking on the functionality end (other than for special counters and the like). So, some item script options would be nice, or some kind of behavioral mod.

An enemy editor, for now, would just need to modify the basic variables (health, damage, etc.). Obviously, script support is something to be added at a later date, since a solid ZC release is obviously on the horizon.

Dlbrooks33
09-11-2006, 05:51 PM
i voted diloague and complete item editor, these are the main 2 i've been waiting for. just for the heck of it, i threw in a vote for the enemies to say i care about it, but it can wait.

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-11-2006, 06:07 PM
I voted for the item editor and the dialogue editor. Everybody wants the enemy editor, that's obvious, but if we're shooting for a bug-free, final version here, I say we should do our best to avoid adding half-completed features. Since the last truly stable and widely accepted version of ZC, so much has been added, that tacking on something incomplete would just feel wrong. A final public release would hopefully bring about a resurgence of ZC popularity, and having an incomplete enemy editor, arguably the most requested feature ever (next to the Roc's feather), would only give people something to complain about.

Bottom line- an incomplete enemy editor will likely make the whole release feel incomplete and crush the hopes of prospective questmakers. They'll get excited about it, only to realize it's limited or buggy. Besides, if the enemy editor gets left out now, it'll keep people excited about the future of ZC.

Nimono
09-11-2006, 06:18 PM
I voted for all three, even though I want the dialogue editor the most. I've been waiting for that for a long while. Still, I have a question about it: Are you going to allow messages to be placed anywhere on the screen?

Rulehy
09-11-2006, 07:16 PM
Item editor and dialogue. Thoes are my first picks and would make a good release. It might take a little longer but what the heck. I'll go for it.

dimepiece
09-11-2006, 07:46 PM
First of all, Son of a Bitch these kinda even out like this
:googly: Me Gusta Evaluar Y No Hablar Espanol Excellente

Item
Ok, a good choice. This will allow us to do a lot of tinkering and making interesting weapons for line such as some bomb arrows. Praise who ever the hell's out there. One of the most important ones I say, It will allow us to suprise the players with something never seen before such as a spell that shoots a ton of boomerangs in all directions stunning everything on the field.

Enemy
Humbung, what would I make with this... A bomb breathing gleeok, a manhandle that shoots winds, perhaps a darknut that is invincible to everything except the master sword?

Dialogue Editor
And what does this do...

Shoelace
09-11-2006, 07:52 PM
Dialogue Editor is the one I want the most. Just because it makes the mood in my quests better. And it is just plain needed.

Item Editor would be awesome, however, I see this one being hard to make without bugs. I think it would take the most time. However, the only thing is, you basically started it already with people now planning things with it. And if you don't finish it, it will cause a lot of people to get mad. But yeah, this is cool.

The Enemy thing, I can wait for in the future. I would love it, but if I were to choose which two I would want it would be the dialogue and the item editor.

Also, I thought you could only vote for one, so I voted for the dialogue.

Exdeath
09-11-2006, 08:59 PM
I voted for Item editor and Enemy editor. I'm not sure what the dialogue editor would do, though I would like to know. Hopefully the will be somewhat usable without scripting. The enemy editor will be useful with features such as.

1. Being able to specify where the enemy sprites are located (use the current locatons as defaults).

2. Being able to specify which cset an enemy uses.

3. Being able to edit an enemy's HP and Damage.

I still think 1.90 tribbles should be reimplimented :D. I consider it a bug for older quests and a lack of a feature for current quests.

erm2003
09-11-2006, 09:08 PM
I voted for the item editor and the dialogue editor. Everybody wants the enemy editor, that's obvious, but if we're shooting for a bug-free, final version here, I say we should do our best to avoid adding half-completed features. Since the last truly stable and widely accepted version of ZC, so much has been added, that tacking on something incomplete would just feel wrong. A final public release would hopefully bring about a resurgence of ZC popularity, and having an incomplete enemy editor, arguably the most requested feature ever (next to the Roc's feather), would only give people something to complain about.

Bottom line- an incomplete enemy editor will likely make the whole release feel incomplete and crush the hopes of prospective questmakers. They'll get excited about it, only to realize it's limited or buggy. Besides, if the enemy editor gets left out now, it'll keep people excited about the future of ZC.

I couldn't have said it better. Since the item editor was already released, that would be a great feature to fix up and release with the final version. The dialogue editor would also be a good feature to add in since there has been quite a bit of discussion on what people would want to see and I am guessing that work has already been done on this or there is at least a plan for it.

I wish you were a bit more specific on what you actually plan for the enemy editor if you were to make it for the next release, but I would rather let that be a brand new feature in a future version which will have all the features you plan on developing. I am voting for items and dialogue.

Nicholas Steel
09-11-2006, 09:18 PM
i vote none of the above as i like the level of creativity as it is... release a stable version that maintains the same level of creativity without distorting it, it is what i would like... thus i say keep the "special" features out of the next version... excluding the dialog editor... i forgot to check that box and i don't care if thats included because all it does it make stuff easier... it only really eases the work that quest makers have to do.

Questions
09-11-2006, 10:16 PM
I voted Item and Dialogue. Finish Dialogue first as I could really use it and it would be easier to bugfix.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the dialogue editor would be much better for the scripting impaired.

Warlock
09-11-2006, 10:21 PM
As much as I'd like to see an enemy editor now, I went realistic and only picked the first two. The Item Editor is obvious - it's half in there right now, so might as well finish that up. And the dialog editor would be so friggin' nice - I'm sure everyone could benefit from this in their quests.

DarkDragon
09-11-2006, 10:29 PM
"Rudimentary" does not mean "buggy." You'd be able to edit an enemy's basic stats (health, damage, etc) but not the complicated behaviors such as those exhibited by most of the built-in bosses.

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
"Rudimentary" does not mean "buggy." You'd be able to edit an enemy's basic stats (health, damage, etc) but not the complicated behaviors such as those exhibited by most of the built-in bosses.

Which is exactly the sort of thing people want most. Leave it out.

JayeM
09-11-2006, 11:30 PM
How long will each of these features take to implement?

cbailey78
09-12-2006, 12:11 AM
I think It would be good to put in a Quest=>Graphics=>Sprites=>Enemies which would allow you to edit the appearance of the enemies!

idontknow
09-12-2006, 12:34 AM
Easier scripting! :)

Exdeath
09-12-2006, 01:35 AM
With the Item editor, will it be possible to make an item act like the Triforce when you pick it up? I still think it should be a screen flag, but I guess being able to do it in the item editor would be good too.

Dark Knight
09-12-2006, 05:01 AM
Item Editor and Rud. Enemy Editor. These are the two features I've wanted since 1.90. A question though. With the item editor, would it be possible to set a slash animation for any new swords you were to create?

Master_of_Power
09-12-2006, 06:27 AM
All of them would be lovely, actually, and besides, we got to stall for the NeoFirst anyway.

and lets TRY to make it as bug free as possible.

jman2050
09-12-2006, 09:27 AM
How long will each of these features take to implement?

We actually have a set date in mind (or rather, a set date was kinda forced upon us) so they shouldn't take long. The longest would probably be the dialogue editor.

Petoe
09-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Um, what is a dialogue editor? I'd appreciate it if someone could explain. :)

Oh and I voted for "none". I just want a new stable ZC NOW, no new features no anything. Just fix the bugs from one of the latest betas and release a "final ZC" and start adding features to the next full and stable release, thanks.

_L_
09-12-2006, 11:20 AM
If my CMotW #2 has demonstrated anything, it's that FFCs are quite capable of emulating enemies (and even more so given the latest beta), once you know how to do so. And, one of the plans for the scripting system is the ability to reference NPC (i.e enemy) objects and adjust their HP, attack and stuff. At least, I think it is.

ShadowTiger
09-12-2006, 11:28 AM
If my CMotW #2 has demonstrated anything, it's that FFCs are quite capable of emulating enemies (and even more so given the latest beta), once you know how to do so. And, one of the plans for the scripting system is the ability to reference NPC (i.e enemy) objects and adjust their HP, attack and stuff. At least, I think it is.

Good luck crafting the tutorials for it though. :blah:

I mean, I keep thinking about doing these, ... very, very intensely, ... but when I actually sit down to do it with my present knowledge, I always end up in a dead end somewhere, somehow. I never know how I get there, since I always have the pseudocode down pat, but then you have syntax issues, placement of WAITFRAME dilemmas, math, etc.

koopa is crafting a "How to script in 21 days" tutorial, ... or at least he'll be doing it when he gets back from "life." I hope it'll be a great boon to those who don't already magically know how to somehow script. ;)

What I'd really love to know how to do is to make an EXACT COPY of a blue darknut, with the only difference is that when you hit him, he doesn't get thrown backwards. ONLY difference. Thing is, I have no idea how to do that. That's why I'd love a rudimentary (As it were..) enemy editor. There are just some things that are obvious to add in. Health, velocity, wait behavior, damage via touch, damage via weapon, graphics, animation frames/speed, weapon graphics, weapon blockability, weapon speed, knockback, etc.

billyronald
09-12-2006, 11:35 AM
Complete Item Editor

Well that want i would vote for if i could

*b*
09-12-2006, 02:56 PM
We allready have the beginnings of an item editor, so that should really be finished first. And a dialogue editor has been a long time coming, so that would also be excellent

An enemy editor would be awesome as well, however it would only be a simple one, and with enemies, I think it should be all or nothing

beefster09
09-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Dialogue. If I could vote.

The item/ weapon editors need a couple new features, like editing names.
Everything should be finished, though.

Dialogue is like the best thing that could be added. I've been wanting it ever since I tried to make cutscenes.

Of course, do them all though. :P I could wait until Dec 31 @ 11:59. :laughing:

Pineconn
09-12-2006, 05:42 PM
I personally think a complete item editor or enemy editor are generally bad ideas. They would create too many possibilities and would take ZC far from its roots.

However, I voted for only the dialogue editor. This is a much-needed innovation that isn't too "unorthodox."

(Anyone else swamped with hours of homework each day?)

Kingboo30
09-12-2006, 05:58 PM
Item and Dialouge editor FTW. I'm sure most of us are tired from NES beeping and letters. Though all should be in the final realese of ZC. As these are just for the betas right?

DarkDragon
09-12-2006, 06:06 PM
No. These are for the next public release of ZC.

As popularly requested we are working towards a public release as soon as possible.

zeldafan500
09-12-2006, 08:46 PM
WTF Why can't I vote just because I don't have a certain amoun of posts? I HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE AS AN AMERICAN CITECEN THAT IS OVER 21

erm2003
09-12-2006, 09:17 PM
WTF Why can't I vote just because I don't have a certain amoun of posts? I HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE AS AN AMERICAN CITECEN THAT IS OVER 21

You can only vote if you know how to spell the word CITIZEN and you don't lie about your age (or know the voting age is 18, whatever you meant)... or you get 100 posts.

What you could have done was what other people did on this thread who aren't at 100 posts yet and voice your actual comments about the thread in your post, but you didn't do that. Good work.

Tygore
09-12-2006, 09:29 PM

The laws of America have no bearing on what rules AGN enforces within its own site.

Kingboo30
09-12-2006, 10:08 PM
No. These are for the next public release of ZC.

As popularly requested we are working towards a public release as soon as possible.

Pah, oh well. The dialouge editor would allow us to change the fonts right? If it can't do that then I'd rather have the enemy editor which doesn't sound that hard to implement.

And the message- as far as you know, Kingboo, I am 12. Or 21. or 5745674567561! I AM IMMORTAL! HA HA HA!.

......You certainly don't sound like a 21-year old unless you're extremely insane which you already are. You seem to be quite the idiot around here and every where else.

ShadowTiger
09-13-2006, 10:31 AM
WTF Why can't I vote just because I don't have a certain amoun of posts? I HAVE THE RIGHT TO VOTE AS AN AMERICAN CITECEN THAT IS OVER 21... No wonder I keep thinking you're over 30! http://www.purezc.com/forums/style_emoticons/default/icon_doh.gif ... But seriously, um, this isn't about flaming someone, mm'kay? :p We've got some serious ZC stuff here to do.

Personally, I'd love to extend Beta testing until January 1st, or Christmas of 2006, without any new features added in, but I don't think I'd like to see a new version (Unless it's a bug-fix beta. :p ) until then at all. I would seriously rather a lot of time be devoted to this and get it right, than to get it out sooner because people want a bug-free version rather than a bugged-but-cooler version.

The more time it's given, the more bugs will be found and fixed. (And the more time NeoFirst has. :blah: )

Nobody has anything to lose by waiting. The more time you have, the more bugs you can find. The more bugs you can find, the more bugs you can fix. The more bugs you can fix, the happier you will be when ZC 2.12 (?) comes out whenever it will.

May I remind everyone that nobody here is being paid?

zeldafan500
09-13-2006, 02:49 PM
Sorry I got angry like that.

beefster09
09-13-2006, 06:09 PM
Personally, I'd love to extend Beta testing until January 1st, or Christmas of 2006, without any new features added in, but I don't think I'd like to see a new version (Unless it's a bug-fix beta. :p ) until then at all. I would seriously rather a lot of time be devoted to this and get it right, than to get it out sooner because people want a bug-free version rather than a bugged-but-cooler version.

The more time it's given, the more bugs will be found and fixed. (And the more time NeoFirst has. :blah: )

Nobody has anything to lose by waiting. The more time you have, the more bugs you can find. The more bugs you can find, the more bugs you can fix. The more bugs you can fix, the happier you will be when ZC 2.12 (?) comes out whenever it will.

May I remind everyone that nobody here is being paid?

Amen, ST. Everybody should wait. The Wii Isn't going to change its launch date, just because somebody can't wait. Besides, If we wait till the last minute of this realease, we can get a stable version AND get all of those cool features.

Note to Devs:
Are you ever going to finish the Subscreen editor, or just leave it rudimentary? I'd like to see it working flawlessly as well.

Rakki
09-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Are you ever going to finish the Subscreen editor, or just leave it rudimentary? I'd like to see it working flawlessly as well.Seconded. Honestly, I find myself messing around with that more than any of the other new features, at the moment. I'd like to be able to add the objects such as "Current Item Name" to my subscreens also. And being able to add the new items we make, as well, would be nice.

zeldafan500
09-14-2006, 07:57 PM
I'm almost at 100 posts and able to vote! YAY! Just 5 more to go! Almost there.....must....reefrain.....from....spamming
EDIT: Hey WTF I got 100 posts, why can't I vote???

dadio
09-14-2006, 08:43 PM
I`m pretty new around here & only getting into the whole Zelda Classic thing but I just thought I`d throw in my 2 cents anyway..
I`m running on a laptop here (sony vaio @ 1280x768 which doesn`t support resolutions below 800x600) so I can`t get either zquest-w or zelda-w to run fullscreen.
My suggestion for a feature in ZCFinal is that both progs can go fullscreen (scaling as neccessary) so all the laptop users out there can clearly see what they`re doing.
Even if possible a "scale by 3" option would be good.
(the command line options to double the size just aren`t enough at 1280x768)

beefster09
09-14-2006, 10:36 PM
I`m pretty new around here & only getting into the whole Zelda Classic thing but I just thought I`d throw in my 2 cents anyway..
I`m running on a laptop here (sony vaio @ 1280x768 which doesn`t support resolutions below 800x600) so I can`t get either zquest-w or zelda-w to run fullscreen.
My suggestion for a feature in ZCFinal is that both progs can go fullscreen (scaling as neccessary) so all the laptop users out there can clearly see what they`re doing.
Even if possible a "scale by 3" option would be good.
(the command line options to double the size just aren`t enough at 1280x768)

It can be scaled by 3. Use the ZC launcher, or put "-scale 3" in the target part of your shortcut or program.

dadio
09-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Thanks - I didn`t realise that. Works fine for zquest-w.. makes it much easier to use.
What about zelda-w? I tried -res 960 720.. without "big" it`s the usual tiny size & with "big" it`s double but not triple..
any options to get zelda-w scaled by 3?

zeldafan500
09-15-2006, 06:43 AM
Finally I could vote! I voted for the enemy editor.

The_Amaster
09-15-2006, 07:25 AM
I belive that a full Enemy editor would be great by 3.0, or even 2.5, but right now we need a really good, stable release. I say clean up the item editor, and release the stable. Dialouge and Enemy can/shoulc come after that.

beefster09
09-15-2006, 09:19 AM
Thanks - I didn`t realise that. Works fine for zquest-w.. makes it much easier to use.
What about zelda-w? I tried -res 960 720.. without "big" it`s the usual tiny size & with "big" it`s double but not triple..
any options to get zelda-w scaled by 3?

Devs should give this option. I want it too. I can live with small screen gameplay, and big editing, though. Unless you are blind and/or have a high resolution, you don't really need this.

We should wait for everything, then make it stable. Set the realease date for christmas.(Just 36 days after the Wii comes out)

Aranda
09-19-2006, 06:48 PM
Combo Editor

bigjoe
09-19-2006, 07:09 PM
I voted rudimentary enemy editor. I guess I'll be stuck on that feature until its actually in.

Pineconn
09-20-2006, 03:36 PM
I still say the enemy editor is the last thing that I would add, the item editor middle, and the dialogue first. This is Zelda Classic, people.

bigjoe
09-20-2006, 04:24 PM
What about an enemy editor would make it less classic? As far as I can tell, it's always been in the plans... Just, nobodies really stepped up to the plate yet.

Nicholas Steel
09-20-2006, 05:36 PM
an enemy and item editor would more or less have a huge impact on how a quest is made where as the dialog editor only makes it easier to do stuff already available in zc.

shadowfall1976
09-20-2006, 05:53 PM
I say Item & Enemy, yeah, what would make it less classic or take away ZC's
roots by doing that?. I think if that's a complaint it already has left it's "classic"
roots by what ZQ can already do, so let's move forward, people use ZC for more
than Zelda games and more options would make it easier to make non Zelda
quests. after all how many enemies can use "Octorock" type attacks and still be
original, no matter what tiles you use for it?, we need more custom enemies to
make our quests more personalized, as well as the item editor, and finish what
true custom quests needed by making the subscreen editor already.

Kingboo30
09-20-2006, 11:28 PM
You do realize that all enemys simply walk around and shoot randomly and then shoot when it spots link right and that this just adds more of them right?

Exdeath
09-21-2006, 02:57 AM
Yea, but it would still be cool to be able to edit thier HP and Damage.

Anyone else notice that a Red Moblin and a Slow Blue Octorok are basically identical lol. :D

Pineconn
09-21-2006, 06:13 PM
I just don't want to see ridiculous enemies. Some people can be irrational and create Octoroks that require 64 hits or something crazy. At least with the dialogue editor it will make it so much easier to do dialogue; i.e. make it more like a Zelda game.

Heh, look at that, the polls are tied (as of now, mind you :p ).

bigjoe
09-21-2006, 06:43 PM
You could just as easily use the other two features in a ridiculous manner. If quest makers want to be ridiculous, they can do it with or without an enemy editor.

Nicholas Steel
09-21-2006, 06:57 PM
im glad someone agrees with me, thanks pineconn, and bigjoe me and pineconn (i assume pineconn agrees) are only voting for the dialog editor.

Pineconn
09-21-2006, 09:30 PM
Only dialogue, yup. It would be quite a handy tool. I think there's already been a lot of additions (FF Combos, scripting, subscreen editor, custom item creator), and another one of the similar significance isn't needed. That's why dialogue would be the best.

Nicholas Steel
09-21-2006, 09:40 PM
yes... with the enemy editor and object editor the quests will lose there nostalgic feeling.

shadowfall1976
09-21-2006, 11:17 PM
who said that the games would lose their nostalgic feelings, when if you want to
make a classic based quest, leave the enemies and items at their default.
it's not hard to do so, and remember NOT EVERYONE MAKES ZELDA QUESTS!!!.
for those who don't the editors will make a nice touch, I too plan on making a
non Zelda quest based on The Guardian Legend, so all of these editors will make
it easier to do so, ZC is a versitaile quest maker, and if a classic quest is what
you want to make, no one said even with the editors, that it can't still be that
way, and the dialog at this point would be nice and I would love to see it, but
isn't neccesary yet.

so what is the complaints about the nostalgia, you want classic... go and download
ZC version 1.84, the rest of us will gladly keep downloading the
newer versions, I for one like making more modern up to date quests.

and my main point in case anyone missed it is.....

.... leave the editors alone in the game if you still want to make a classic
type quest, the rest of us want our quests to be truly custom works of art.

Nicholas Steel
09-21-2006, 11:31 PM
I for one like making more modern up to date quests.
but your not making modern quests... your making a quest that entirely different to previous one... i love tgl so cant wait for it.

shadowfall1976
09-22-2006, 12:33 AM
it is a modern quest, just like Minish Cap is a modern Zelda, same thing.

beefster09
09-22-2006, 05:40 PM
who said that the games would lose their nostalgic feelings, when if you want to
make a classic based quest, leave the enemies and items at their default.
it's not hard to do so, and remember NOT EVERYONE MAKES ZELDA QUESTS!!!.
for those who don't the editors will make a nice touch, I too plan on making a
non Zelda quest based on The Guardian Legend, so all of these editors will make
it easier to do so, ZC is a versitaile quest maker, and if a classic quest is what
you want to make, no one said even with the editors, that it can't still be that
way, and the dialog at this point would be nice and I would love to see it, but
isn't neccesary yet.

so what is the complaints about the nostalgia, you want classic... go and download
ZC version 1.84, the rest of us will gladly keep downloading the
newer versions, I for one like making more modern up to date quests.

and my main point in case anyone missed it is.....

.... leave the editors alone in the game if you still want to make a classic
type quest, the rest of us want our quests to be truly custom works of art.

Exactly. We could still rename newer versions Zelda Classic Advanced, though, since we have so many new features.

Nicholas Steel
09-22-2006, 07:47 PM
shadowfall take a look at super mario bros 1 and super mario bros 3.... do they create the same level of pleasure upon completion? not really.... mario 3 is easy but long where as mario 1 is shorter but more random.

thus i standby what i said.

Kingboo30
09-22-2006, 08:07 PM
yes... with the enemy editor and object editor the quests will lose there nostalgic feeling.

Then don't use the feature then.

Nicholas Steel
09-22-2006, 10:37 PM
i never said i would use the feature...

shadowfall1976
09-23-2006, 03:35 AM
I like both 1 & 3, and while Mario is a bad example to use, because all you do
is jump, break blocks & shoot fireballs no matter what game it is, (exception 2)
& a few newer ones. thats like saying Sonic does more on most games than
run & jump, most games are if you play one you have probably played them all,
and Mario is one of them.

but the newer Marios are nothing like Mario 1, therefore your analogy is flawed.
Mario 3 was made almost 20 years ago, if you were to compare Mario 1 to
whichever is the new Mario now, my point would stand. and even though
the New SMB on DS is similar to 1, you can do way more than ever thought
possible to do back in '85, thus making the new game more modern and up to
date, better maybe not to all, but it is still available to all who wish to use it.

and for those who'd rather play 1, so is it, and no one is being limited by a few
who prefer outdated 8-bit gameplay, yes I love our game roots, and I still play
the NES and Atari games from time to time, but I am glad what we are capable of
now and while ZC is not like a higher powered game maker, it has much potential
for those who wish to make something that they have always wanted to do, so
why should we be limited just to keep the thing nostalgic?, you don't like the features
don't use them others want the features and more new things to come, I look forward
to the new releases of ZC and think the programmers are doing a hell of a job at it.

thus I stand by what I, and apparently others say & said.....

besides there are new quests that people make everyday that still use the classic tileset,
the new features don't stop them from making a nostalgic feeling quest now do they?, as if that
were even possible Zelda is Zelda, but without new features everyone would be playing & making
the same quests over and over and really people would get tired of it (I have read that before 2.10
some people were) and then what would be the point of keeping ZC alive?, and why release new
versions at all then?. believe me I sometimes would rather live in the past, but we are here and now.

Nicholas Steel
09-23-2006, 03:48 AM
ah but Mario 1 and 3 are pretty much the same with a huge difference in feel.... comparing Mario 1 to something recent is just plain stupid.

Exdeath
09-23-2006, 12:25 PM
I like both 1 & 3, and while Mario is a bad example to use, because all you do
is jump, break blocks & shoot fireballs no matter what game it is, (exception 2)
& a few newer ones. thats like saying Sonic does more on most games than
run & jump, most games are if you play one you have probably played them all,
and Mario is one of them. CLIPPED

Well said. I got very bored with ZC before all the new features and public betas started being released. If you don't like the new feature DON"T USE THEM and don't play quests that use them. But don't advocate limiting ZC for the rest of us.

shadowfall1976
09-23-2006, 12:29 PM
that is my whole point, the new quests made with ZC can't compare to the original LOZ,
what is the matter with you?, you can't dig holes, or have a hookshot, or even more than
one entrance to a screen, so why would I even want to maintain that level of limitations
in the new ZC? LOZ was fine in '86 when I was 10, but I have moved on passed that
generation of games as has anyone else, I am not trying to compare Mario 1 to even Mario 64,
the gameplay has evolved, but I am comparing 1 to the DS version, and while similar they are
lightyears apart in gameplay & graphics, while being the same in feel the DS has long since left
the NES version in the dust, no one is stupid you just miss the point that I am trying to make
for whatever reason.

ZC is ever moving forward and the fact that you want it left behind is just plain stupid, like
I said keep using 1.84 if you don't like how everything is evolving, if the designers stopped
now all of these sites would be pointless to maintain, as all the quests would be too much
alike to even care about it anymore, and I as a long time quest maker like all the options
available to me to use, I make more quests than I play and even though my posts are few here
I have been with this for over 2 years and I know a thing or two about ZC and where it has been.
my first was 1.92 b163 and now here we are in 2.11 b13, the evolvement is what has kept me
so interested over the years. to stop adding new features and making it easy to customize you quests
your way at this point would be what is stupid, after them spending years on it's development.

my first ever quest was so bad, that I just released it not too long ago, I have made an almost
fully custom tileset since using the Pure Set on my first one, then I started making tiles that
were missing, then I started making my own originals, and now my newest quest has much more
flexability than ever, I am using a MC set mixed with my own & Pure remnants, as well as a few
from Raiden & others, and without the 256 color feature, I never could have done that without
mad layers and way too much tile space taken up, which I had to do before and it was a pain.
I am grateful to Dark Nation and Jman for doing what they do, and I hope they keep it up for a time
to come, I have fun with ZC and it is due to the new options available, without them all it would truly
be is an 8-bit clone and after a few quests made would bore most and ZC would never have come
this far.

WindStrike
10-01-2006, 03:57 PM
I'd stick primarily with the item editor for this one. It definitely adds the most for gameplay and the number of things you can do... and it's definitely a lot easier that an enemy editor. Sure, with the enemy editor, you could probably pull off custom bosses a little easier but... does it really add to the gameplay that much? A lot... yes. As much as items... after seeing _L_'s side-scrolling gravity script, h-e-c-k no. Dialoge editor... although that'd allow for faster and easier quest making and adds some more beauty... ... it really doesn't add much to the gameplay at all. Sure, it'd attract newbies and rookies to use it easily, but I think the item editor would be much more attractive to the majority of people.

Did I just practically restate what someone else said, because I didn't check the previous posts...

Petoe
10-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Maybe I can't read, or I didn't read this thread carefully enough, but no one has explained what this Dialogue Editor is. What is it, what can you do with it?

But like WindStrike said, item Editor allows for so much amazing stuff. Enemy editor is nice, but since you can already make custom enemies and bosses quite easily that's not number one priority. And the Dialogue editor... if I just knew what it was I could make a comment about it... :p

Tygore
10-01-2006, 04:35 PM
A dialogue editor would allow for more freedom with strings. Presumably, things like font and color would be readily editable, as well as the possibility of text boxes, message placement, and maybe even yes/no style choices. Personally, I'd be happy with something that just lets me edit my strings without having to go three lines at a time and then link them all together.

Shoelace
10-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Jman made a thread for it a while back in suggestions. And different fonts, like Hyrule, Goron, etc. Size, colors. The placement of the strings on the screen, so it can be on the bottom too!

Petoe
10-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Ohhh... now I understand why people are so excited about the feature. Thanks for explaining it to me. It really would be great for more RPG-ish quests. Holy crap!
But I still stick to the Item Editor which would be the biggest thing ever. Of course all these features are more than awesome and I cannot wait for the day when they all are implemented. But right now I'd just like to have a bugfree and stable ZC. ;)

Dark Spawn
10-01-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey, question when is the release date for the final version anyway?

Tygore
10-01-2006, 06:24 PM
When they're done.

There's no definite date, mostly because that would cause a rushed and sloppy product. Plus, since beta is currently open, there's really nothing that is hidden from the public anyway.

Dark Spawn
10-02-2006, 06:16 PM
True, I thought I heard a mention that they had a certain date set that's all. I guess I just read wrong XD

beefster09
10-02-2006, 08:06 PM
FINALLY, I can vote! I voted Item editor and dialogue editor. Honestly, custom enemies don't need to be made now. We have FFC scripting if you are really that desperate. All we need is a way to edit the sprites the default ones use. (maybe their names too)

We need the Item editor to edit the names too. I bet the dialogue editor will only have color and font. Size probably will only work with the proportional font anyway. Scaling the fonts might work though. And once again, every feature of the Subscreen Editor should be implemented by the final version.

BTW: With the dialogue editor there should be "easy" buttons for quick formatting.

4matsy
10-02-2006, 10:35 PM
BTW: With the dialogue editor there should be "easy" buttons for quick formatting.

/me hands Beefster the Staples easy button.

(Sorry. I couldn't resist. :rofl:)

erm2003
10-02-2006, 11:02 PM
/me hands Beefster the Staples easy button.

(Sorry. I couldn't resist. :rofl:)

That is scary because I was thinking exactly the same thing.

On a side note, I wonder how useful this poll ended up being since the votes are so close.

Modus Ponens
10-03-2006, 06:06 AM
Honestly, custom enemies don't need to be made now. We have FFC scripting if you are really that desperate.

But, see, the problem here is that FFC and scripting and all of those new things are really quite tricky to master. Many veteran users have difficulty with them (me included), so I imagine that a total newcomer would be quite lost.

Pineconn
10-03-2006, 06:56 PM
Yeah, but a dialogue editor would be much more efficient than setting up FF Combos and all that jazz. Much more. Plus, ZC is really lacking dialogue.

Enemy improvements since original game:
Bat
Darknut [Splitting / Death]
Dodongo (BS)
Fire Shooter
Gleeok (Fire)
Gohma [3 / 4]
Manhandla [2]
Octorok [Magic]
Patra [plenty new ones]
Stalfos [3]
Trigger :p
Wizzrobe [Bat / Fire / Mirror / Wind]
Placement flags.
Plus, you can edit the enemy sprites.

Item improvements " " :
Amulet
Arrow [3]
Bomb [Super]
Brang [Fire]
Boots
<too many to list!>
(And you can edit the sprites for enemies too.)

Dialogue improvements " " :
Uh... the "more" feature. Woo.
Ability to use lowercase! Yay!

Yeah, the dialogue section is lacking.

Master_of_Power
10-03-2006, 08:59 PM
just about a 3 way tie. All those features will equal awesomeness times 5