PDA

View Full Version : DMap Scripting (Please read my suggestion all the way before you say "No!")

Nimono
09-11-2006, 04:25 PM
Okay, I'm not sure if this goes in Scripting Suggestions since the description of that forum says that the suggestions are for ZScript and ZASM, and this suggestion has to do mostly with DMaps. Please move this to Scripting Suggestions if this would actually go there. Also, please read my suggestion all the way through and get enough information from me if you need any more before you say "No!".

My suggestion is DMap Scripting. I know it sounds like a weird idea, and the example I have for it might be even weirder. I have an idea for a quest that has you escaping the last area/dungeon after beating the boss of that area/dungeon, but you have a time limit to get out. Now, the current way I could do that is not very good, as I want the time limit to coincide with how you go along. In other words, I want it to work like the time limits from the Metroid games, where you have a few minutes to escape from the area you're in, and if you don't escape in time, you lose. Basically, DMap Scripting allows you to take a special script you make and insert it into a DMap. As long as you're on that DMap, the script continues to do what it's supposed to do. If all goes well, you can actually have an area that has a time limit in an area, making a more realistic Metroid quest. Or, you can do the same thing for minigames, making a long minigame that you must complete under a certain time limit. (You could also throw in a few more ideas if you want, like something that'd freeze/unfreeze the tics or carry them over to another DMap. I'm just saying, though. They're not part of my suggestion, and I really could care less if they were put in...) So, what are your thoughts on my idea? Do you need more examples or information regarding my idea?

_L_
09-12-2006, 02:20 AM
My suggestion is DMap Scripting. I know it sounds like a weird idea, and the example I have for it might be even weirder. I have an idea for a quest that has you escaping the last area/dungeon after beating the boss of that area/dungeon, but you have a time limit to get out. Now, the current way I could do that is not very good, as I want the time limit to coincide with how you go along. In other words, I want it to work like the time limits from the Metroid games, where you have a few minutes to escape from the area you're in, and if you don't escape in time, you lose.

Look, that's easy:
* Make an FFC.
* Assign it a countdown-based script that does something when a constantly decremented variable hits 0.
* Give it the Carry Over flag.
* The end!

Until you exit a room that has the "No FFC carryover" screen flag, the FFC will continue counting down. If you used a bunch of other FFCs and appropriate tiles and scripts, you could even make it display a timer in some region of the screen!

Also: No, your idea is poor.

Nimono
09-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Look, that's easy:
* Make an FFC.
* Assign it a countdown-based script that does something when a constantly decremented variable hits 0.
* Give it the Carry Over flag.
* The end!

Until you exit a room that has the "No FFC carryover" screen flag, the FFC will continue counting down. If you used a bunch of other FFCs and appropriate tiles and scripts, you could even make it display a timer in some region of the screen!

Also: No, your idea is poor.

Oh, okay. I keep forgetting about FFC scripting, probably because I can't get it to work, even though I'm doing it right...

Rakki
09-13-2006, 01:51 AM
Pikaguy: Make sure you've imported the scripts. That's what was keeping me from messing around with them for so long (now it's school keeping me from them ^_^; ).

Nimono
09-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Pikaguy: Make sure you've imported the scripts. That's what was keeping me from messing around with them for so long (now it's school keeping me from them ^_^; ).
That's what I'm trying to do. I click on Import Script, and when I try to import the script, it tells me that it's "unable to parse instruction 2" in the script, and yet, it successfully imports into 12.9.

Rakki
09-13-2006, 09:25 PM
Make sure you're not on a screen with a FFC when you import, as well. I find that causes importing to not work. >_<