PDA

View Full Version : What would be a good item to get for the first dungeon?

zyoss2000
09-10-2006, 10:08 PM
I was wondering, what item other than the boomerang you you guys suggest would be good for the first dungeon?

LinkMaster500
09-11-2006, 07:05 AM
It really depends on how you design the quest, but some good items for the first dungeon could be the following:

Blue Candle
Wooden Arrow
Bow
Power Bracelet

You might not want to put the Boomerang so early in the game as it does make most of the fights a little easier, but it's your choice.

_L_
09-11-2006, 12:12 PM
In my opinion the bow is a bit powerful for the first dungeon. How about the bombs? (This would mean limiting the types of enemies available at that part of the game, though - but that's not very difficult.)

LinkMaster500
09-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Remember that the item you place does not have to be a "weapon." It could also be some implement such as the Ladder, Raft, Book, Cross or something else.

Silvanoshea
09-11-2006, 07:19 PM
It doesn't even have to be an item along your lines at all:
you could spread 4 heart peices out in four corners of the dungeon, than have him be able to find all four, and you get a free heart container :D.
Only not to tell you how to do it, but a good suggestion:
1. you find this one by killing like a sub-boss (which can be like a stronger monster since link is rlly weak).
2. you get this one by killing a horde of enemies.
3. you get this one by solving a puzzle
4. you get this one by going through a invisable maze (it can be in the dark becuase link doesn't have the candle yet).

erm2003
09-11-2006, 09:00 PM
How about a couple big don'ts from me instead?

Don't give out a powerful item like the hammer. The hammer can dramatically change the difficulty level of your quest. Giving it out to early will making fighting darknuts a simple task. It also can defeat most enemies and it has the power of the level 3 sword. This is typically frowned upon.

The wand is often frowned upon too because it has the same damage level as the level 2 sword and will always fire no matter what your health is. Wizzrobes are not effected by the wand, but that is something you can possibly use to your advantage later on.

Darth Pikachu
09-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Personally, I've been trying to find a way to incorporate the whistle as the first item you get. But that may be a bit brutal to some players....

erm2003
09-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Personally, I've been trying to find a way to incorporate the whistle as the first item you get. But that may be a bit brutal to some players....

Quite a few quests have done this successfully. Usually that isn't the only item in the level though. Have you played Isle of the Winds? There is a good example of how it can be used early in a quest.

Love For Fire
09-11-2006, 10:22 PM
Recommended First Level items: Wooden Sword, Wooden Boomerang (your call, depends on overally difficulty of the quest) Wooden Arrow/Bow (damage is higher, but use is limited), Bombs (don't limit enemies, instead make max bombs 0 and give a bomb upgrade in level 1), Blue Candle (or even red unless you want to exclusively use the red candle like I do), Whistle, Power Bracelet, Raft. (obviously not all of the above)

Bad First Level items: Wand, Hammer, Lens, Boots, Flippers, White Sword (or higher), Rings, Cross, Spells, Magic Book (cuz its probably useless at this point). Magic Key (Duh),

LinkMaster500
09-12-2006, 12:14 AM
As far as the enemy fights, the Whistle just allows you to fight Digdoggers. Do not put in the Flippers until you place the Ladder (since the Flippers renders the Ladder useless).

Darth Pikachu
09-12-2006, 06:28 AM
I wouldn't say that the flippers cripple the ladder, as you could still put pits up with the ladder that you can't use the flippers for, but it does severely limit the ladder's use. FYI :D

fopo3141
10-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Wow... I didn't realize the hammer was so powerful.

Imprisoned
10-27-2006, 11:18 AM
Boomerang
Bombs
Ladder
Whistle (Only if you want an easier quest for newbies etc.)

You can make it so that you can reach the boss ONLY with the whistle
and after you defeat the boss you will get heart container and door will open
to a room with ladder, then the triforce room. The ladder would also let you go further in the overworld to get into Level 2.

Or you can do it so that you can reach the boss without the whistle, get ladders after the boss to get to the other exit of Level 1.

Or you can make it so that you can reach the boss with the ladders and there will be an exit behind the boss.

Joe123
10-27-2006, 06:36 PM
Dont you think the ladder is a bit too good for level one though? it can be so useful, i would keep if for a later level personally

WindStrike
10-27-2006, 06:54 PM
The ladder is perfectly fine. If you want, I'll give you the item list for the first seven levels of my quest:
1 - Blue Candle, Bracelet, Bomb Bag
2 - Ocarina, Wand
3 - Boomerang, White Sword
4 - Raft, Ladder
5 - Bow/Quiver, Bracelet Lvl 2
6 - Boots, Cross, Flippers
7 - Blue Mail, Hookshot
Level 3 will probably be most liked, considering the items there. Just kidding - Leve 7 pwns them all. I'd actually give the hookshot out later, as it does stun everything in the game except mirror robes and the teleporting wizzrobes and maybe a few others, but it does allow for a lot of flexibility the earlier you put it in your quest. By the way, it would actually be a good idea to spread passive items throughout the levels and mix them with B button items. Speaking of which, I should probably do that myself. Oh, and only put the wand as a low level item if you're putting magic in the quest, and you start with not too much magic. For mine, you would start with 3 out of 10 magic bars, giving you six shots with the wand before you have to refill.

What item you want for the level might (not absolutely, might) depend on what you want in the level.