PDA

View Full Version : Update to my training: Ropes Course and Advocacy Briefing!

DarkFlameWolf
09-08-2006, 05:17 PM
This morning, we spent four and a half hours out on the ropes course. We put on some VERY uncomfortable harnesses that are not kind to men and not much better for women. We then attached two crab claws to our harness to hook onto wires throughout the course as our 'safety' since there were NO SAFETY NETS throughout the entire course.
Our first obstacle was to hike up some log stairs and then balance beam out over nothing to the end. Then jump FROM the end of the rounded log to the net about 5 feet away, and we're already 10 feet up. Then we clumb up the netting, hook onto the wiring there and then lie down on our stomachs onto the rope going across to the next pole. I'm not kidding, supporting ourselves on the rope with one foot hooked around the rope and the other off in the air as a balance thingy, then pulling myself across the top of the rope. My nether regions and chest were burned horribly!
Then we had to do the same thing again to get to the next pole, but we had two ropes spread out 2 feet apart from each other that we had to lie on top of and scoot over on our stomachs. The next two obstacles was to walk up a ascending rope bridge where the only thing you step on is the rope itself as you walk up the incline and the two side ropes as your balance measures. We reached the highest point here at 50 feet in the air.
We then scooted across two wire beam obstacles standing up, utilizing a rope connecting the two poles as balance. The second wire beam had two ropes cross-hatching, forcing you to adjust the height of your grip on the rope as you went across.
The next obstacle was the 5 piece broken bridge where we had to, without holding our crab claws, hope from one platform to another. All of them at a 30 degree angle towards the ground. That was rough. I almost fell twice. Then we had to scoot down a rope to a 40 foot from the ground pole platform upsidedown and backwards! So sliding underneath the rope backwards to the next platform 10 feet down from me was painful on my calves. The burn was rough!
Then we attached a thick cable to our harness and swung across a gap of 15-20 feet to grab onto some netting on the other side. I missing the first time swinging, so I had to be pulled up and swung again to reach it. I climbed up, barely had the strength to pull myself up onto the final platform and then finally attached myself to the last cable and slide down the remaining 40 feet to the ground destination 100 feet away. That final ride made everything else worthwhile!
We then went and did the mountain climbing wall, and I was almost to the top, about 4 more handholds to go, until a foot hold swung 180 degrees upside and I lost my footing and fell. Thankfully the harness and pulley system slowed my fall, but it still sucks I couldn't do it. We then went through some minor course obstacles like stepping stones, log crossing, platform jumping and other misc. things.
The final obstacle was to get to the top of a 100 foot wooden tower and hook ourselves into the cable system up there. Walk out over 100 feet drop across a rounded log for 15 feet to reach the 'gold bars' on the pole at the end. Then walk back. Finally, hook into the final drop cable system and then lean out over the edge of the tower and back walk down its side the full 100 feet. All in all, it was a fun experience, but my arms, wrists, legs and nether regions are hurting!
Then we got showered, dressed and changed for our Advocacy briefs right after lunch! I delivered a stirring speech about how Air Power is the best way to counter all terrorist attacks. I got a High Satisfactory rating for it! ACADEMIC MEASUREMENTS ARE DONPLETE! (combination of done and complete) So all that's left is LRC and AEF which are field leadership exercises and I am free to go to graduate as a fully commissioned officer in the United States air force! Wish me luck!

Prrkitty
09-08-2006, 06:16 PM
I'm an Air Force brat. Congrats on getting as far as you have... and good luck on finishing the rest :) <hug>

elise
09-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Good luck DFW show them some girlpower ;)

WindStrike
09-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Heh... some of that stuff sounds pretty freaky.
Well, awesome job and the best of luck to ye. Keep having a fun time!

ACADEMIC MEASUREMENTS ARE DONPLETE! (combination of done and complete)
Do you care if I steal that word?

DarkFlameWolf
09-15-2006, 03:10 PM
Just recently passed my Leadership Reaction Course with flying colors. Basically what the LRC is: a small obstacle puzzle course that you as the leader with 5 other team members must navigate using specified tools/equipment on hand to solve within a 20 minute time limit. Mine was called Tarzan's Tangle and we had one long rope, one ammo can and gloves as equipment to use. We helped up two people to scale a wall, and scout out what lay beyond. There was a tall structure of metal bars with three overhand bars with which to attach ropes to. They were all painted red, so with the exception of the ropes, we could not touch the bars. There was a brick platform about 8-10 feet beyond the first brick wall and about 6 feet lower. So we had the first person loop one end of the rope around the top of the first overhang bar, catch it on the backswing and tie it to create a looped rope. Then swing to the middle platform. Then untie it, loop it around all three overhang bars and then begin a process of swinging one part of the rope back to the group while using the other side to swing down to the ground on the 'safe' area not 'mined.' Then swing the second half of the rope across to the group and the next person goes and does the same thing and so on. Finally, the last two people tie up the ammo can to the main rope and using a pully system with the three overhang bars, we bring the ammo can over to the other side and then finally swing over the remainder of my team. We completed it with a minute to spare!
Now what's coming up next is AEF 'mock deployment.' Which basically plops us in the middle of a forest, set up tents, mess tents, latrines, security posts, etc. And perform 'missions' and live out in the woods for an entire week as if we were on deployment. These operations/missions will be our final graded measurement of our leadership skills of guiding a team to mission complete. So wish me luck everyone come monday afternoon!

Aegix Drakan
09-16-2006, 12:16 PM
0_0 wow...you went through all that, and you're still cheery?!?

*respect for DFW increases by 5

Good luck with that "mock deployment"!