PDA

View Full Version : Sony Screwed for PS3 Launch

Warlock
09-06-2006, 02:52 PM
PS3 Launch Shipments Slashed by 75%
Blu-Ray production issues force massive reduction of launch unit numbers in both US and Japan.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/730/730814p1.html

PS3 Delayed in Europe
PAL gamers won't get their hands on Sony's next-gen monster until March 2007.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/730/730811p1.html

This is going to seriously screw them. They can't even launch in Europe at all! There goes a huge chunk of people who are now pissed at you because they were neglected. Then there are going to be shortages everywhere else. The only upside this could possibly have for Sony is if they create the same "stand in line for 5 hours because supply is low" buzz that helps to sell consoles. And I honestly don't know if they can at that price.

Should be an interesting November :P

DarkDragoonX
09-06-2006, 03:44 PM
A part of me can't help but wonder if this shortage was intentionally created to garner publicity... you KNOW they're going to do news stories about all the people lining up at 2AM to get a PS3.

Warlock
09-06-2006, 03:48 PM
A part of me can't help but wonder if this shortage was intentionally created to garner publicity... you KNOW they're going to do news stories about all the people lining up at 2AM to get a PS3.

Yeah I said this months ago. "I wouldn't put it past Sony to deliberately undership to create a buzz of people lining up to get it". (or something like that)

Aegix Drakan
09-06-2006, 03:51 PM
there is such a thing as bad publicity. And THAT is the kind of publicity the PS3 is gathering.

unless they can come up with a HUGE, stupendous, phenomenal comeback, they are seriously screwed.

Grasshopper
09-06-2006, 04:06 PM
Well, we pretty much aren't getting a launch either until 2007. With only 400,000 unit shipping to the US, Most people won't get their hands on it until 2007 anyway. I doubt our store will even get any if thats the case.

lord_jamitossi
09-06-2006, 06:04 PM
I love how as soon as there is bad news about the Wii, everyone says that it can't be true, but if it's about Sony, it's taken as great news.

However, with Microsoft claiming there'll be enough Xbox 360s to meet demand this Christmas and Nintendo's Wii expected to launch globally in the next couple of months, could the delay spell disaster for Sony? We'll bring you more news on the delay plus industry reaction throughout the day.

...Sounds like a teaser for a soap opera. As Warlock said, this could indeed be a very interesting November.

MottZilla
09-06-2006, 06:16 PM
We already knew this was coming. With both problems with Cell and Blue Laser diode production, you knew one or the other was going to make costs rise and number of units produced drop.

I'd say them being screwwed for launch was already obvious. They just really can't make those Blue Laser diodes as easily as they'd like. I seem to recall though that some company (not Sony) has been making progress and getting better yeilds on the Blue Laser diodes.

goKi
09-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Fucking awesome. Nothing would make me feel better than seeing Sony fail. This is the first step of many. Let the Wii dominate Christmas.

I love how as soon as there is bad news about the Wii, everyone says that it can't be true, but if it's about Sony, it's taken as great news.

That's because Nintendo's bad news is usually in the form of a rumour. Sony's is in the form of an official press release. Go figure.

Best news i've had all day.

Warlock
09-06-2006, 07:51 PM

...Sounds like a teaser for a soap opera. As Warlock said, this could indeed be a very interesting November.

Well the Wii story was a rumor and not on a particularly reputable site. It turned out to not even be true. This is on IGN and I've seen it on other sites already as well. This is very much true.

People treat the news this way because frankly they've been expecting it like Mott said. I used to really like Sony, but they have been screwing the pooch lately. They make offensive comments about how the gullible fanboys will snatch up PS3s in droves even if it had no games, and other stupid crap like that. They copy Wii's motion sensor idea and then claim they didn't copy it. They price the thing at a rediculous cost just to push their retarded Blu-ray format on people. And then this comes along. It's like they don't even care.

I'll be getting a PS3 eventually because of the HDMI output and the fact there are a few titles coming for it that I want. But that doesn't mean I like what Sony has been doing.

MottZilla
09-06-2006, 08:23 PM
It's not just Blu-Ray, though that is the more problematic factor at the moment, but the Cell processor as well. Both these key components are hard to make (they get very poor yeilds). I know Sony and many others insist that Cell is so awesome, and that Blu-Ray is such an important thing to have. But... they say the Cell CPU is inline with a triple core cpu pc. Hey wait a minute... the Xbox 360 is a triple core cpu design. Hm..... You need Blu-Ray for newer games because the 8-9gb DVD isn't enough. So now you have the 25GB (single layer) Blu-Ray disc. What do they use this for? Mostly streamed videos or audio. These are generally related to a game with a long story. Now what was it we did on Playstation with these huge game with lots of big streams, oh ya we put them on multipule discs.

You don't need Blu-Ray for next generation games. They try to tell you for HD blah blah you need a new more expensive medium. But the fact is if you need more room for enviroment content or streamed content, you can seperate it on multipule DVDs, or even store some on the Hard Disk.

I'm sure the PS3 will be a decent system, but again it seems like they walk the extra mile only to end up at the same place as the 360 which took a much shorter more efficant walk.

Cloral
09-06-2006, 08:53 PM
This isn't toally related, but I thought I'd throw this in here:

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Xbox_360_games_WILL_load_faster_than_BluRay_PS3_ga mes

Now this site obviously isn't very official, but I have had this cooroberated from other sources. So even though the blue-ray disc will hold more data than the 360's dvds, the question then is how to get that data into memory? This might be ok for RPGs and the like that have the data spread out over a long period of time (i.e. lots of FMVs), but action-related games are going to be bound by loading time. So they won't be able to make good use of this extra disc space.

mikeron
09-06-2006, 10:02 PM
http://odufaigh.org/img/hindenburg.jpg

goKi
09-06-2006, 10:32 PM
"Hindenberg picture"

Best.
Post.
Ever.

---

http://www.thisiswaiting.com/

AtmaWeapon
09-06-2006, 10:52 PM
img-hindenbergI laffoed

Basically with every press release the PS3 gets worse and worse. Is anyone else wondering if they are trying to pull a "The Producers" here? (They wanted out of video games so they decided to do as much as possible to make it not work)

ZTC
09-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Once I started to read this, I laughed. Upon seeing the Hindenburg pic, I busted a gut

Warlock
09-07-2006, 10:49 AM
I laffoed

Basically with every press release the PS3 gets worse and worse. Is anyone else wondering if they are trying to pull a "The Producers" here? (They wanted out of video games so they decided to do as much as possible to make it not work)

Off topic, but I rented that movie because everyone said it was so great and it was a piece of crap. It wasn't even funny! Why the hell do people like that?

Darth Marsden
09-07-2006, 03:07 PM
The film is rubbish. The play is fan-fucking-tastic. Go see it, if you can.

This is good news for people like me, who are really concerned with how Sony are doing. I say that in the nicest possible way, because I really want Sony to... points to picture that made him laugh for 10 minutes.

MottZilla
09-07-2006, 03:32 PM

http://digg.com/gaming_news/Xbox_360_games_WILL_load_faster_than_BluRay_PS3_ga mes

Now this site obviously isn't very official, but I have had this cooroberated from other sources. So even though the blue-ray disc will hold more data than the 360's dvds, the question then is how to get that data into memory? This might be ok for RPGs and the like that have the data spread out over a long period of time (i.e. lots of FMVs), but action-related games are going to be bound by loading time. So they won't be able to make good use of this extra disc space.

That's the same thing I was thinking. And even if you need an RPG with lots of FMVs or Audio Streams for speech, you can always use multipule DVDs. RPGs have been on multipule discs for quite some time and I doubt it bothers any players. I mean I could see some games where changing discs might seem silly but with enough effort I doubt there would be any need.

I think it's generally agreed though now that the only real advantage the PS3 has is the Blu-Ray disc capacity, which may not even matter.

Kairyu
09-07-2006, 04:33 PM

The PSP wrestling game video linked to in the comments for that article is awesome.

Tygore
09-07-2006, 04:35 PM
The PSP wrestling game video linked to in the comments for that article is awesome.

Is that the one where it takes the guy 5 minutes (mostly loading screens) to get to actual gameplay?

Kairyu
09-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Yep, that's the one. And it looks like there were loading times for several of the loading screens. That's pretty impressive.

Lilith
09-08-2006, 12:25 AM
hahahaha talk about owned

there will be RIOTS over this one

MottZilla
09-08-2006, 02:50 PM
hahahaha talk about owned

there will be RIOTS over this one

I could believe that considering there has been murder over stolen Xbox consoles. You can bet you'll see alot of PS3s going high on eBay.

Kingboo30
09-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Here's an idea. I should buy a 100 PS3s and then sell them all in Europe. Expect me to return with millions of dollars. Anyone remember the 1000$ PS2s that were faulty?

MottZilla
09-09-2006, 12:59 AM
Lots of the first PS2s were faulty. They lost a class action suit as I recall which means they must fix the fault parts reguardless of wether your warrenty is valid or not. By now ofcourse no one's warrenty is any good on those units. You can bet with these new Blue laser drives, there's a good chance there will be more shitty drives that fail much sooner than they should.

Nicholas Steel
09-09-2006, 03:37 AM
i am yet to see a ps2 game that is multi disced and asks you to change disc during play... thus i assume there is a tech limitation to dvd's which is why blue ray is coming.... not that i would buy a ps3...

goKi
09-09-2006, 08:45 AM
Blu Ray is coming for no reason other than DRM. It's a god damn joke. I hope the PS3, Blu Ray, HD-DVD and Sony all fail.

Kingboo30
09-09-2006, 02:49 PM
i am yet to see a ps2 game that is multi disced and asks you to change disc during play... thus i assume there is a tech limitation to dvd's which is why blue ray is coming.... not that i would buy a ps3...

I guess you haven't seen too many games then...especially RPGS. Heck, there's even a few for Gamecube!

Limzo
09-09-2006, 02:57 PM
There's a 2disc game for PS1. Abe's Exodus. One of my favourite games ever.
AND IT'S 2D!

MottZilla
09-09-2006, 03:49 PM
There are many PS2 multi dvd games. The reason for a new disc format is for a higher capacity storage medium as we start to need much more room for data than before. HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are merely the most popular formats of optical discs denser than DVDs.

Sony wants to get the Blu-Ray format going for its own $$$ motivations. That is one of the reasons they include it in the PS3. Now if you want the next playstation you are also stuck with Blu-Ray, probably in hopes that you'll use that or atleast use that over HD-DVD.

Again I think the 360 went the better way, sticking with affordable and much improved DVD technology. The DVD drive in the 360 is awfully fast. I'm sure everyone wouldn't mind more space on discs, but no one wants to pay the costs for it really. Blue Laser technology is still a high priced luxury item.

Blonde799
09-09-2006, 05:40 PM
I could believe that considering there has been murder over stolen Xbox consoles. You can bet you'll see alot of PS3s going high on eBay.
And THAT'S EXACTLY... why I'm buying one. $1500 for a PS3? You bet your ass I'll charge that much.:D

Nicholas Steel
09-09-2006, 08:57 PM
There's a 2disc game for PS1. Abe's Exodus. One of my favourite games ever.
AND IT'S 2D!
why say this? there on cd's not dvd's... thanks for the reply mottzilla but could you list a ps2 game that is dvd based and multi disced?

ctrl-alt-delete
09-09-2006, 09:11 PM
why say this? there on cd's not dvd's... thanks for the reply mottzilla but could you list a ps2 game that is dvd based and multi disced?

After a simple google search, I came up with one almost immediately.

Xenosaga Episode II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenosaga_Episode_II)

Matteo
09-10-2006, 12:54 AM
Blue Laser technology is still a high priced luxury item.

Neo-Geo anyone?

The PS3 is going to fall hard, and fast. The biggest reason is simple: The people I talk to that are not gaming nerds like me have voiced how they have heard that the PS3 is going to fail, that the PS3 is over-priced, etc etc. They are the type of gamer(s) that don't base their buying decisions on game quality, they base it on marketing and popularity. Those people represent the majority of gamers out there, and just as they bought PS2's because of the hype/image, they are going to avoid PS3's because of hype/image. The PS3 is going to be a rich-nerd toy, it has hardly any appeal to the mass gamer market.

Nicholas Steel
09-10-2006, 05:55 AM
sadly i fall into that category aswell.... and next door has an x-box and it just owns the ps2.

solyphon
09-10-2006, 06:14 AM
meh, i dont even like sony. they always copy stuff from other companies. im not getting a ps3 if its that costly. ill just get a wii, i need to exersize my arms :D.

MottZilla
09-10-2006, 04:18 PM

Star Ocean 3. I have more but I'd have to look through stacks and stacks of discs.

NeoGeo didn't fail because it was just over priced. The NeoGeo home system failed to attract a huge market but it was around getting releases for a LONG LONG time. Well beyond the year 2000. It failed to capture a big market because for one, the cartridges were expensive to make. Not only that they wanted a huge profit margin too... Even past the year 2000 when cartridge sizes weren't getting any bigger (as they actually couldn't really) they still were charging 300$ for a new NeoGeo AES cartridge game. 600$ + 300$ games? PS3 isn't quite there yet!

I do think though that this generation the Xbox 360 will capture a good share of the people who previously owned Playstation 2 systems.

solyphon, we've already established you're a Nintendo fanboy.

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-10-2006, 05:12 PM
I seem to recall though that some company (not Sony) has been making progress and getting better yields on the Blue Laser diodes.
You might be thinking of Toshiba, makers of the HD-DVD format. It would be foolish of me to pretend I knew what I was talking about, but it would seem to me that if anyone else was making the diodes and not having to scrap a significant portion of them for being faulty, Sony wouldn't have this problem. After all, they are one of, if not the biggest proponent of Blu-Ray technology, right?

I guess you haven't seen too many games then...especially RPGS. Heck, there's even a few for Gamecube!

MGS: Twin Snakes is two discs, and it's a bit of hassle if you have to have to run back to collect an item you forgot to grab before the Comm towers, but honestly, it's no big deal. I've been playing to collect all the dog tags in all five difficulty modes, which means a lot of playthroughs, especially if you miss a boss tag. Even all the switches required to finish that task hasn't bothered me.

MottZilla
09-10-2006, 11:37 PM
I'm a bit confused by what you mean. Remember HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are both Blue Laser technology and require the same Blue Laser diodes. I'm pretty sure it wasn't Toshiba, I think it was Lite-On or someone like that.

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-11-2006, 05:55 PM
I wasn't sure if I remembered you saying that before, that they required the same diode. But honestly, who else would be manufacturing blue laser diodes at such a large capacity except Toshiba, or their parts supplier?

MottZilla
09-11-2006, 10:37 PM
Everyone in laser optics is working on producing Blue Laser diodes. That includes the obvious Toshiba, Philips, Samsung, Sony, and probably the not so obvious like Lite-On and maybe JVC.

Tygore
09-12-2006, 12:02 PM
I hope the PS3, Blu Ray, HD-DVD and Sony all fail.

That's a very distinct possibility. Take a look at this:

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/1/9/6/1962af97e73a43fc0c528a0cd7c60aa1.jpg

Saw that on a YTMND. Not the site you'd expect to get that sort of thing from, but the numbers are legit. Sony has been in a downward spiral for a long time now, and at this rate I'll be VERY surprised if there is a PlayStation 4.

Cloral
09-12-2006, 12:56 PM
Well that definately shows a drop following e3. However, this graph is very short-term - it doesn't even show to the end of May. And in the world of finances, a short-term trend doesn't mean a whole lot. What does this graph look like for the entire '06 year?

MottZilla
09-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Yes it doesn't mean much. They could certainly climb back up there. It's too soon to tell.

Warlock
09-12-2006, 03:09 PM
http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/c/6m/s/sne
http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=SNE&t=6m&l=on&z=m&q=l&c=

This is the current chart. It actually peaked pretty high *just* before e3, and it's been a slow decline since then :P

Tygore
09-12-2006, 04:18 PM
http://ichart.finance.yahoo.com/z?s=SNE&t=6m&q=l&l=on&z=m&c=NTDOY.PK&a=v&p=s

And there they are compared to Nintendo. You will notice that the two start a steady move in opposite directions right around May...

Warlock
09-12-2006, 04:46 PM
Wow, that's interesting. I wonder if it's possible to track when the Sony President said all that rediculous condescending crap and see if the stocks went down :P

Edit: Looked it up (based on thread dates about the stories). Most of it is in mid-late June through early July, and the whole PSP White racist ad thing was in early July. Funny, those are the lowest dips :)

MottZilla
09-12-2006, 04:56 PM
The one with Sony and Nintendo on the same graph is pretty nice to look at. It means people are pretty hopeful for the Wii.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-12-2006, 06:39 PM
Those graphs are fucking awesome. I knew Nintendo was owning them, but to see it like that...sweet.

MottZilla
09-12-2006, 07:09 PM
I don't know about owning them, I think these are graphs of stock prices right? Stock price isn't everything. The stock market is filled with mostly lemmings.

Orion
09-12-2006, 09:55 PM
Indeed. These are only stock charts. Not sale charts. The fanboyism here is really getting on my nerves.

goKi
09-12-2006, 10:01 PM
I don't know about owning them, I think these are graphs of stock prices right? Stock price isn't everything. The stock market is filled with mostly lemmings.

If a bunch of successful stock market players thought that the PS3 launch was going to be as successful as Sony hoped, they'd be buying shares in Sony at that price. But noone does.

Tygore
09-12-2006, 11:10 PM
Indeed. These are only stock charts. Not sale charts. The fanboyism here is really getting on my nerves.

Oh come on, don't tell me you found it at least a little humerous that Sony's stock steadily declined after their performance at E3? Besides, if nothing else this supports the claim that Sony has given nothing but negative news since May. The stock marcket is based on hype: if Sony was generating a positive buzz over, well, anything, then we would see their stocks do well. The fact is that Sony has had nothing but negative report after negative report, and the fact that their stocks reflect this I would say proves that this goes beyond mere fanboism.

MottZilla
09-12-2006, 11:59 PM
I think Orion's point was more about "Nintendo is kicking Sony's ass" which isn't true other than stock value increase as of late. As usual, we can all agree the next year in the gaming world will be interesting.

Archibaldo
09-13-2006, 10:46 AM
Point is, now's the time to buy share in Sony. Because once the PS3 [b]is/b] released, the stock will go bak up, plus Sony's only prouct isn't the Playstation. They have TV's and stuff too, or did every one forget about those?

Modus Ponens
09-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Dude, who needs a TV when you've got a Nintendo conso...

Oh. Right.

MottZilla
09-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Sony has alot of competition in other products made by Pioneer, Samsung, Toshiba, Philips, and on and on. The video game market is the last thing they ever truely dominated and now it looks as they may no longer even have that. They have maybe a year left of the PS2 software sales before they really fall off.

But you do make a point, it would be the time to buy stock now, because they may have a good boost in prices later on down the line. That's something people don't understand though. We will see, just not soon enough.

Grasshopper
09-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Sony has been having a problems in other areas of the industry besides just video games. Those stock prices could just be reflecting those incidents as well, not just the PS3. You can't go and blame everything on on the PS3, although it is the easy scapegoat. I think they recently had a recall on laptop batteries if I remember correctly though.

And Archi's right, stock prices will go back up, they always do.

Warlock
09-13-2006, 12:31 PM
Sony has been having a problems in other areas of the industry besides just video games. Those stock prices could just be reflecting those incidents as well, not just the PS3. You can't go and blame everything on on the PS3, although it is the easy scapegoat. I think they recently had a recall on laptop batteries if I remember correctly though.

And Archi's right, stock prices will go back up, they always do.

True or not, the fact that it drastically fell in the middle of May is a pretty freaking huge coincidence not to be PS3 related.

Tygore
09-13-2006, 01:55 PM
Point is, now's the time to buy share in Sony. Because once the PS3 [b]is/b] released, the stock will go bak up, plus Sony's only prouct isn't the Playstation. They have TV's and stuff too, or did every one forget about those?

I've always had problems with Sony's hardware, PS2 included (but certainly not the sole instance).

The PS3 will likely cause a temporary spike in stock price. Then, if the system lives up to hype, it'll go right back down. I would buy stock in Nintendo personally, what with the big press conference tomorrow. Nintendo stock right now seems to go UP with news.

Cloral
09-13-2006, 04:58 PM

True, but many of their product lines have been sluggish lately. I read an interview with the head of Sony, and right now much of the company's hope for the future is pinned on the success of the PS3. If it fails, it might be more than an ailing Sony can absorb.

Grasshopper
09-13-2006, 10:27 PM
True or not, the fact that it drastically fell in the middle of May is a pretty freaking huge coincidence not to be PS3 related.

Maybe so, but the fact that it continues to drop may or may not have anything to do with the PS3 at all.

And besides...there are no big coincidences and small coincidences. There are simply coincidences. ;)

Warlock
09-14-2006, 11:19 AM
And besides...there are no big coincidences and small coincidences. There are simply coincidences. ;)

Since when? Or are you just stealing that from Seinfeld for no particular reason :P

Grasshopper
09-16-2006, 12:33 PM
I was stealing the line from Seinfield. Never had a better time to say it. :)

Archibaldo
09-18-2006, 11:08 AM
The thing is, I would say, that buying shares in Nintendo right now may not be that great an idea. Sure they may do well, but they're high enough at this point where buying them would just be too expensive. The time to buy the shares are when theres no hype or news. In other words, the stock is low. Buy low, sell high.

Even if the PS3 is Sony's last hope, there will still be a brief spike in the stock price like Tygore said. You just have to sell at the spike. But not wait too long, or you're fucked.

MottZilla
09-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Don't forget that you do get paid for beign a stock holder. You don't just make money via selling the stock.

Silvanoshea
09-18-2006, 08:03 PM
ahhhh the stock market, LMAO, makes me remember of my social studies teacher when he tried to explain the stock market to us, and of one of my classmates: "Why do we fight wars? Why can't we just draw straws?" ROFL!

Anyway back to the subject.
Phillips isn't any compitition to Nintendo at least, especially after the Phillips cdi system... that totally killed zelda. The XBox 360 will probably sell more than the wii, and the wii than the PS3, seeing they are only going to sell 400,000 to the US. And the Blu Ray disk will probably be a complete failure, you don't need that much memory for alot of games save an rpg like Legends of Dragoon (WTF 7 F'ING DISKS *which was for the ps1). With massive loading times, they've doomed themselves to hell.
Ok time to play this game (called Elder Tablets IV for some reason):

Elder Tablets IV
I%

Next day:

Elder Tablets IV
Finished loading preloader, starting loading process
0.0000000000000001%
One week:

Elder Tablets IV
99.999999999999999%

1 second later:

Elder Tablets IV
Disk Read Error
Load Aborted

Pisses you off doesn't it?

MottZilla
09-20-2006, 01:40 PM
First off, the mention to Philips was about movie player technology...

Next, Legend of Dragoon was on 4 discs. So were several other rpgs.

In other news today, One of Sony's PS3 big advantages just disappeared. The Fall update of the Xbox 360 dashboard will enable 1080P playback for games and movies. =) Also there are rumors of using the HD-DVD drive for games that need HD or more content or something. So you'd be looking at possibly having a DVD in the 360 and a HDDVD inthe HD-DVD drive so rather than playing lower quality movies or something it could stream HD from the HDDVD. They also say it could be possible extra game content or something could be stored on the HDDVD and allowing non-hddvd users to save it from the marketplace to their harddrive for free.