PDA

View Full Version : Do not show item in passageway screen option

rocksfan13
09-06-2006, 12:35 PM
You know when you use a passageway in a room that has a special item the item also appears in the passagway? It's easily fixed by using layers on the passageway. But a screen option "Do not place item in passageway" would eliminate the need for the layer. Just turn on the option in the room you have the special item and a passageway and it's fixed.

What do you guys think?

ShadowTiger
09-06-2006, 01:25 PM
Who even uses passageways anymore? O.o Just bring yourself to a screen that looks like a passageway, and make one of the ends a tilewarp that looks like the other end. :p We've got multiple arrival positions now, so...

rocksfan13
09-06-2006, 02:04 PM
I was thinking that too but, some of us still use passageways. I know Freedom did and me.

The other being, if you used the passageway like that, you would have to set up a screen for each warp. What if your level has say 50 different warps in it. That would be a lot of creating.
The screen option would eliminate that.

Rakki
09-06-2006, 05:13 PM
Yeah, I've gotta agree, the passageway still has some uses. Where's a quest that uses this layer trick to hide a secret item, though? And, what's the point of doing such? Is it to make like, a Treasure Chest in a passageway like that?

_L_
09-06-2006, 11:16 PM
People don't use passageways anymore?! I'm aghast. Next you'll be saying that nobody uses the Whistle->Stairs cset effect anymore!

rocksfan13
09-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Yeah, I've gotta agree, the passageway still has some uses. Where's a quest that uses this layer trick to hide a secret item, though? And, what's the point of doing such? Is it to make like, a Treasure Chest in a passageway like that?

I have. In 3 of my quests.

No. If you have a treasure chest in a room, you need to use the item as a special item, thus placing it in the chest. Since special items also default to the cave/item rooms as well, they appear in passageways as well. If you have a passageway in such a room with a chest or even a room with a guy that gives you a special item, it'll happen. To hide the item in the passageway, you needed to create a cover over the item on layer 3, so it doesn'r show.

Having a screen option or even quest rule will eliminate the need for that. Especially if someone is new to this and doesn't know how to use layering.

Dark Nation
09-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Can anyone think of any reason why an item should appear in a passageway? if not, I'll just treat it as a bug and remove it entirely. No quest rule or screen flag needed.

Nick
09-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Can anyone think of any reason why an item should appear in a passageway? if not, I'll just treat it as a bug and remove it entirely. No quest rule or screen flag needed.

I used this trick several times in Unification (1.90 quest). Of course, I don't use passageways much of any, anymore. I could see it being useful for those that do, though.

rocksfan13
09-07-2006, 10:09 AM
The only thing I would ask is, if you do that, will it still show in the cave/item?

4matsy
09-07-2006, 11:03 PM

I remember keys, and even the 1st quest's silver arrow, being in passageways in Zelda Challenge: Outlands. Yeah, it's a ROM hack, but if anyone ever wanted to port it to ZC...

Though a perfect port of it wouldn't be possible now anyways...there are some things that the ROM does that ZC can't.
Like being able to visit the entire 16x8 map of dungeon screens in a single dungeon dmap (Outlands' 1st quest level 9 is 9 screens wide).
Or items being able to show up in a passageway when coming down it both ways, not just when the passageway is entered from the screen the item is defined on; since the ROM handles each passageway and item basement as a separate screen, stuffed into the empty spaces of the 16x8 dungeons map. :p

Actually, I do seem to remember one or two old ZC quests that had items in the passageways, as well. I can't remember which ones, though...

Besides, if the feature is there already and doesn't hurt anything if it's used, why take it away and require a not-as-simple workaround to mimic the effect? Same reasoning discussed in the "remove the FFC attribute change combos" thread. :p

Dark Nation
09-07-2006, 11:26 PM
Those should be able to be done. Use a normal overworld map, scrolling warps, and "Treat as Dungeon" screenflags for the 9x9 dungeon. Passageways can be faked. Others?