PDA

View Full Version : The Internet is in the sky!

Cloral
09-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Well... that might be a bit backwards. But for about the last month around here there has been a large number of banner ads. You know, the ones pulled around by planes. In the past month I've probably seen about 20 of them, which is up from the 0 during the previous 8 or so years. Is anyone else seeing this, or is this just my community?

Prrkitty
09-05-2006, 06:52 PM
I haven't seen any in my area (west of Portland, Oregon).

lord_jamitossi
09-05-2006, 07:25 PM
I've seen one or two lately, but that's just because I've moved from rural Quebec to an apartment in Montreal.
Are they all advertising the same thing? If not, perhaps there's some guy like you down there who saw the first one and said, "Hey, that's a good idea!" It seems to me like the kind of thing that would sort of balloon itself.

algam86
09-05-2006, 07:42 PM
I haven't seen any. But that's either because I don't pay attention, or because I live in Kentucky. (and who needs to advertise in this backwater state? j/k...kind of.)

Cloral
09-05-2006, 08:05 PM
They've been for a wide variety of things:
Beer
TV shows
The opening of the local Jamba Juice
Snakes On A Plane
...to name a few. There doesn't seem to be anything relating the subject matter. There must be a company that does this for people. And maybe it's a new company.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-05-2006, 08:35 PM
I live in Oklahoma City, and right up to the release of SoaP, I saw a bunch. I was never close enough to read any of them though.

I have not seen any since then, but it was cool to see them in reality. Normally, I only see them on TV.

SSJ3500
09-05-2006, 08:42 PM
Actually, this happened a few months ago, but a local radio station (B96) held a little concert called the Summer B-Bash which I went to. When we got there we looked up and saw one of those little ads being pulled around, it took a while to figure out what it said, but eventually we were able to read "Like the music? It's being played on 1035 Kiss FM right now!". I got a good kick out of that.

Drunken Tiger
09-05-2006, 10:39 PM
No banners, but sometimes we get the writing in teh sky ads.

biggiy05
09-05-2006, 11:36 PM
They've been for a wide variety of things:
Beer
TV shows
The opening of the local Jamba Juice
Snakes On A Plane
...to name a few. There doesn't seem to be anything relating the subject matter. There must be a company that does this for people. And maybe it's a new company.

Some air fields offer flying banner to businesses or anyone that has the money. The place I'm taking my flying lessons at goes out once or twice a week with different ones. When the holidays get closer to you tend to see them a little more.

lord_jamitossi
09-06-2006, 11:04 PM
Apparently the flying students are all over stuff like this. You need to log a lot of hours before you can actually get paid for flying planes, so a lot of people pull around banners and stuff for the price of the fuel that they're using. It's one of the best ways to get your hours without having to pay too much.

I want to learn to fly when I get old enough to afford it. I just recently found out that my dad had a flying liscence; I think it's pretty cool.

biggiy05
09-06-2006, 11:45 PM
Apparently the flying students are all over stuff like this. You need to log a lot of hours before you can actually get paid for flying planes, so a lot of people pull around banners and stuff for the price of the fuel that they're using. It's one of the best ways to get your hours without having to pay too much.

I want to learn to fly when I get old enough to afford it. I just recently found out that my dad had a flying liscence; I think it's pretty cool.

You also have to get a commercial pilot license. Dual instruction, solo flights, ground training.

Getting the license isn't all that hard but my god is there a lot to remember for one freaking test. I hate the ground exam and I'm nowhere near ready to take it.

mikeron
09-07-2006, 03:07 AM
Late summer is usually the high season for this kind of thing. When I go to the beach in August, it's full tourists in front of their huge RVs. Easy ad money.

ZTC
09-07-2006, 10:10 AM
meh...
since I live in a pretty rual area, I haven't seen anything like that at all