PDA

View Full Version : Locked Facing Property.

The_Amaster
09-05-2006, 08:00 AM
I think it would be awsome for there to be a combo property that locks links facing while he's on it. Like say, when climbing down a ladder, link faces up even when heading down, thus giving him the appearance of climbing.

Master_of_Power
09-05-2006, 06:23 PM
this has been suggested several times, and as easy as it sounds to do, it hasn't been done yet which suggests its harder than it looks

Dark Nation
09-05-2006, 09:31 PM
I actually coded this once but allowing Link to attack while on a climb combo caused strange things to happen. For instance, if you pressed down, you would move down while facing up, if you did a sword attack after that, the sword would appear properly, but a sword beam would then fly out of Link's butt. Not cool. So, I'll either fix this or make it where you can't attack on climb combos (like in all 3D Zelda games).

*b*
09-05-2006, 11:34 PM
That sounds cool, DN. What'd make it even better is a seperate climb animation, but maybe that's just me (I think I might have suggested that before...)

Rakki
09-06-2006, 01:45 AM
Am I the only one who thinks something like Climbing should be doable with Freeform Combos? Seriously, what's the problem with locking Link's item useage and left and right movements until he hits a FFC at the top/bottom of the ladder? Or are we only able to enable or disable controls COMPLETELY?

Warlock
09-06-2006, 10:40 AM
I actually coded this once but allowing Link to attack while on a climb combo caused strange things to happen. For instance, if you pressed down, you would move down while facing up, if you did a sword attack after that, the sword would appear properly, but a sword beam would then fly out of Link's butt. Not cool. So, I'll either fix this or make it where you can't attack on climb combos (like in all 3D Zelda games).

IIRC you can't attack in any game where Link faces up only when climbing. I believe this goes for the Oracle GBC games and Minish Cap - possibly also Link's Awakening though it has been awhile (I don't think Link is bound to face up in that game)

Am I the only one who thinks something like Climbing should be doable with Freeform Combos? Seriously, what's the problem with locking Link's item useage and left and right movements until he hits a FFC at the top/bottom of the ladder? Or are we only able to enable or disable controls COMPLETELY?

Because it's an aweful lot of work (especially for non-programmers) when it could just as easily be a combo (and it wouldn't be a hard thing for DN to make)

ShadowTiger
09-06-2006, 11:00 AM
IIRC you can't attack in any game where Link faces up only when climbing. I believe this goes for the Oracle GBC games and Minish Cap - possibly also Link's Awakening though it has been awhile (I don't think Link is bound to face up in that game)In the Oracle Series, they really, really made good use of the Roc's Feather. Even ladders acted as normal terrain; albeit slightly slower terrain. If you were climbing up, you could slash and instantly turn around, and Link would face down and slash. ... I think. It's just that it was nearly identical to a normal action area, only it wasn't top down, but sidescrolling, using gravity to its advantage to fall south rather than half an inch when you jumped.

Warlock
09-06-2006, 11:45 AM
I seem to recall mountains of vines where you couldn't slash (and there were boulders falling down), but maybe I'm wrong. Possibly also the 2d sidescrolling rooms (though I am definately thinking you could at least use Roc's Feather there). I don't think the overworld had any regular ladders (just staircases) - the veins maybe being an exception. But I havn't played any of those games in ages so I may be wrong.

I'm pretty sure I'm right about Minish Cap though.