PDA

View Full Version : IGN on Wii- GREAT gameplay footage

Tygore
09-05-2006, 01:18 AM
http://media.games.ign.com/articles/693/693580/vid_1657122.html

Found the link at Penny Arcade. Some excellent footage and commentary, both on the games and the way they're played. Red Steel looked nice, but choppy if played close to the TV. The motion aspect looked very nice, requiring consise movement that didn't appear too awkward. Overall I'd say it looks nice, the little 2-player shootout minigame (WITH DUCKS!:D) looks VERY fun.

goKi
09-05-2006, 01:54 AM
The only thing climbing faster than the amount of praise for the Wii is Nintendo's stock prices.

MottZilla
09-05-2006, 02:54 AM
Maybe it's just me, but after seeing more of Red Steel I am alot less hopeful. I don't much like the control scheme. I really don't think Wii is suited for FPS games. The control is just not up to par. Other games, I dunno yet. I find these strange new controlling schemes to be rather annoying because they aren't always well thought out. And play control isn't to be toyed with... if you can't control the game, what's the point.

So anyway... if you're going to have some strange control scheme you better do it right.

Warlock
09-05-2006, 09:54 AM
That Batallion Wars game looked retarded. He also sucked at it. Red Steel looked decent though, although it seemed like it took way too many bullets to take guys down. I mean, he's firing freaking rapid fire bullets at guys for 30 secs strait before they fall. That just didn't seem right.

As far as sensitivity, etc, I can almost guarentee you Nintendo is going to let you calibrate that. It would be idiotic not to. Even the DS has one of those "touch the dots with the stylus" things to calibrate it.

Grasshopper
09-05-2006, 11:46 AM
I've always like the way the Battalion Wars games looked, with the visual style, but I never liked it. I prefer the turn-based strategy of its hand-held cousins. Plus, I don't like how to shoot, you have to keep pressing Z, instead of holding it like a machine gun., which while holding a remote would make my fingers tired, and feel cumbersome.

I wish they would make a Punch-Out game for Wii. You just hold the remote and the nunchuck, and move them like they were you're right and left hand.

Tygore
09-07-2006, 03:29 PM
As far as sensitivity, etc, I can almost guarentee you Nintendo is going to let you calibrate that. It would be idiotic not to. Even the DS has one of those "touch the dots with the stylus" things to calibrate it.

Remember how the idea of "customization" was discussed for the controller? I bet that your personal sensitivity settings will be something you can store in your controller "profile".

mikeron
09-07-2006, 04:27 PM
Maybe it's just me, but after seeing more of Red Steel I am alot less hopeful. I don't much like the control scheme. I really don't think Wii is suited for FPS games. The control is just not up to par. Other games, I dunno yet. I find these strange new controlling schemes to be rather annoying because they aren't always well thought out. And play control isn't to be toyed with... if you can't control the game, what's the point.

So anyway... if you're going to have some strange control scheme you better do it right.I got the impression that the guy demonstrating it was distracted by the camera. Even so, the intro shot for that soccer stadium sold me.