PDA

View Full Version : Another SSBM Thread:

ShadowTiger
09-04-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm starting yet another SSBM discussion thread because I'm bored. I'm sure we all have quite a bit to discuss.

My personal favorite character is Samus. (Gravity Suit Samus. I love the color purple. :P ) I love playing as her because of the following reasons:

Her airborn fair (Forward+A.) ... (I think. I don't use the terminology much. :p ) Samus jumps, and shoots forward a stream of flames. It's basically the ultimate buffer against most physical, non-energy-based attacks. It creates a wall of damage right in front of you for anyone or anything to be stuck on.
Her Missiles: Amazingly useful for keeping people off platforms. I don't use them thaaat much, really. I mostly use them to either:
Buy some time for myself.
Keep people off platforms from afar.
I'll just use Smash Missiles though. (Super Missiles.) Normal seeking missiles are just annoying.. :odd:
Hammer Kick: Easily one of the more useful attacks. You hold loose-up, (Without jumping.) and press A. When on the ground, the person sails perfectly vertically off the ground, then sailing right back down again. The next hammerkick (If in the air, or mere inches off the ground.) will send them flying off at quite the delightful arc.
Ground Burn - Whatever it's called. It's her <hold down then press A> attack. She basically creates a tiny explosion on the ground just in front of her. It's basically my precursor to the hammerkick attack. I can repeat that combo all day if I wanted to. ;-D Heheheh.
Never.. EVER .. underestimate your Grapple Beam. It'll save your life. Remember, you can dodge in midair towards a platform, then unleash your grapple beam to snag a surface of your choice. It'll hook onto it, and you can get back up onto the platform to snag the edge vertically rather than at a vulnerable angle. It's much harder to edge-guard someone if they're grabbing the platform from straight below rather than from an angle.
Quite possibly my favorite attack, is her Dair attack. (Down+A when in the air.) Samus basically bytchslaps whatever is directly under her after a very brief swingback of sorts. It's a WONDERFUL meteor smash. Well, not the very best, but it's more than proficient at doing what you want it to do. Use this often.

I'll usually play without items, as they tend to give me an unnatural advantage. ... YES, I know, items aren't an unnatural advantage, but I tend to use them in very creative ways, and I keep catching them in midair. (Press "z") I have yet to catch a thrown Bob-omb though. I gotta try to do that one day. Link's bombs though, I'd love to catch.

I'd usually play with a Stock of 5 and no time limit. I greatly dislike being timed. I'd mostly pick the flatter, less "hectic," larger arenas, like Hyrule Temple and Final Destination. I DEFINITELY prefer 1-1 battles. I'll take a 1-1 battle over a 2-2 battle anyday, though that'd be my next preference. A free for all with more than two people is bad for me, man. Bad. Just ... bad. >.<

Sup. You?

Tygore
09-05-2006, 12:08 AM
I have two characters I primarily use: Pichu and Doctor Mario.

Pichu is unpredictable, and has some really good combos I've found out about. The trick is to know which moves use electricity (and hurt Pichu in the process) and only use those as finishers/high knockback. DownThrow+UpSmash is a great one, my brother has learned to panic whenever I get a grab off as Pichu. Aerial Back followed by a quick downward tap on the control stick sends a fast little rat from the sky, good for building up damage.

The Doc is a bit more stable, although not quite as fun. I'll use him when I'm in a tournament or serious "test of skill"-type match, since I'll end up screwing up with Pichu every few matches. Aerial Forward Smash, Tilt B(aka Däs Übercape), Back Throw, and Down Smash are my preferred moves.

phattonez
09-05-2006, 12:31 AM
I always used Pikachu, especially when I get to use the c-stick. But I haven't played in a few years and I don't really remember his moves.

ONeilcool
09-05-2006, 12:50 AM
My best character is probably Marth, but I also like to play as c. falcon, Falco, Peach, and luigi

Marth is great just because all of his attaks have an insanley long reach. One of the best moves to do with math is run at the person and then do your smash attak. You can do this if you press down which cancels your run but you still are sliding, then smash. Marth's normal forward smash is so fast that it seems like you are doing it while running. Its also fun to use his counter attak to mess with the oppenant. Finally, Marth's spike(hitting your enemy down when off the stage thus instantly killing them) is really good. If you time his A down right you can spike your enemy without acutally being off the stage

I wont go as in depth with the other characters but ill tell you why i like them

C. Falcon is fast and his arielA forward attak(the knee) is probably the most powerful ariel attak in the game and can be very effective when used right.

Falco has a spike works when your not off the stage like marths and it works well with a combination with his refelction attak

Peach's B down is really helpful because i usually play without items and its like an item. Peach also has the best smash attak in the game ( A down)

Last but not least luigi is really fun to wavedash with. I don't know if you guys can wavedash, but if you can you'll know it works best with luigi. Luigi would probably be my best character if his return didn't suck so much

DarkDragoonX
09-05-2006, 02:24 AM
Marth is my favorite, by far. He has good speed and great reach, as well as a good edge game, although his recovery isn't the greatest. Most of his specials aren't that hot... his charged slash is useless, his combo usually knocks opponents away before it finishes, and his rising slash is really only useful as a recovery move. His counterattack, however, makes up for it. Counterattack is the single best move in the game, as far as I'm concerned. If you're any good at predicting your opponents attack, they just can't lay a hand on you.

algam86
09-05-2006, 07:39 PM
I usually use Marth. Mainly because I like to keep a littledistance between me and an enemy and his sword does a good job of that. I'm pretty sure it's been covered that his moves aren't exactly the best. (so Roy's a little better for those, especially the rising slash attack) But considering how I play rather defensively anyway, he suits my style. Plus, he's pretty fast compared to most other characters, it seems, so that's good, too.

P.S. I prefer playing with either a stock of about 20 with my cousin, or one of those near-one-hit-kill modes. (setting the stock to 99 and increasing the damage as far as it'll go. It's just fun seeing people go flying all the time...)

The Destroyed
09-05-2006, 07:56 PM
I sware, if I faced anyone here, I WOULD kick there ass. I use the almighty Captain Falcon. His knee move is so awesome when someone is coming back from a meteor attack. Time it right, and there is a quick KO. I have played against all of my freinds, and I have killed em. I would eventually lose to someone here though, its guaranteed. But, I practice on the lvl 9's. I set it to 50 stock with no time. I usually win in 10-20min. I use his Smash forward attack, A LOT. But I also use smash attacks almost every shot. I use his B attacks sometimes, mainly his Falcon Punch. When I use that, I strike fear into my opponents because I always get a KO or cause major damage. :cool:

I wish there was sometype of online play for SSBM, but there isnt so I cant face anyone here. :disgust:

ONeilcool
09-05-2006, 08:20 PM
If you practice on level 9's you suck. Anyone that is moderatly good at SSBM knows that all computers are slow and stupid. They use the same tatics every time, you can just find an attak that works and use it over and over and they will do the same stupid thing over and over. You can only get better by facing people who are better then you.

The destroyed, if you want to get good DON'T play computers alot. The only reason you should ever play computers is if your just learning how to L cancel or wavedash and you need pratice.

I can see your saying you use smash attaks and falcon pucnh alot. Computers pretty much just walk into those attaks. Any experianced play could easily dodge those attaks and own you.

It's impossible to get really good by yourself, you either need to play against someone who is better then you or play with someone equal level to alot so you both get better together. The problem is if you play with someone equal level to you, you just get use to their tactics.

WindStrike
09-05-2006, 08:44 PM
Actually, playing computers every now and then is actually a good idea... try it yourself and you may see why. Whenever I do fight computers, I usually fight Fox (Level 9), Samus (Level 8), and Link (Level 7). Levels 7-9 are the same difficulty - just different playing styles.

Sucks that my SSBM disk is officially broken... then again, we did have it since it came out.

Well, my best characters are as follows:
-1) Yoshi: Oh yeah... I purely own with him. I only have trouble fighting Fox, Pikachu, and Mewtwo. The rest... I can handle. It's just that his headbutts are so fast and powerful; not to mention he has some awesome power attacks. And he has fairly durability. Of course, it sucks when Marth is edge camping and you're a bit past starting the second jump, leaving you highly vulnerable to death. Yoshi has also been my best character since the first SSB. So uhh.. just note that even though I'm a little out of it, since my disk is broken, I'm quite vicious with him.

-2/3/4) Honestly, I'm stuck with a tie between Luigi, Roy, and believe it or not, Bowser. I think Luigi is fairly self explanatory... unless you haven't played with him enough. Roy... it takes more time than Marth, but eventually, I've gotten very good with him in 1vs.1 combat. Outside of 1vs.1 however... that's a completely different story. Bowser... as slow and crappy as you guys might think he is... he's not. I've managed to somehow kill Marth, Fox, Jigglypuff, and many others with him. Note that I play against my brothers, who are very good. In many cases, I become the numba one target and end up getting killed, but at least I typically take down a few lives with me. Fyi, I typically play 2-3 stock, 5-8 minute time limit. Speaking of which... awesome match. Me as Roy, my oldest brother as Marth, two stock, no time limit: It lasted for a little over six minutes. It was Hyrule Temple, BUT, we stuck to the right side of the stage almost the entire time. Typically, people either die really fast over there or rack up kills. But somehow... a crazy 1v1 sword fight lasted over 6 minutes... too bad we didn't have a replay of it. Anyways, I guess that's all for these characters.

-5/6) Itsa me, Mario! Normally, I'd say I'm as good with him as those other three, but it seems I'm only really good with him for short periods of time. Heck, there are some times when I surpassed Yoshi in level... and those were the times my kill count skyrocketed with my death count making a slow tally upwards. Ah yeah, and Falco... freaking "stoned" bird drops so bloody fast.

-6/7/8) Barely below average level of Mario comes Pichu, Young Link, and Ness. Yeah... that's right - three shorties. One has uber strong attacks, another has a ton of projectiles which slowly allow me to kill, and the last has a freaking homerun bat along with a downgraded "Zelda kick." Problem is, except for that cheap homerun bat, they're all short ranged, regardless of their quickness. Ah well... at least I do very well with them.

My oldest brother is highly tempted to just get another SSBM disk, but I'd rather just wait for SSBB. Seriously, there's way too much entertainment that can rack up in that time. Well, anyways, I guess that's my list of best characters as of now. Right now, to sort of just make a replacement for SSBM, we've been playing Soul Calibur III (Which is also a really fun game... not as good though... almost)... though its style of play is a bit different from the other.

SSJ3500
09-05-2006, 08:45 PM
A single level 9 is nothing, several level 9's on a team against you on the other hand is a good match. My favorite character is Roy though, the counter attack is just far too useful to pass up. You can pull off a lot of combos too.

Ultra22Lemming
09-05-2006, 11:19 PM
My favorite hero is Ice Climbers cause theres two of them X_X I've been in a couple local tournaments where I pick Ice Climbers and do decently well :o

Modus Ponens
09-06-2006, 02:20 AM
I'm partial to Peach. I don't know if she's my best character, but I think I have the most fun playing as her. In that game, there's probably nothing I love more than smacking someone with that frying pan. I do well with Link and Roy, particularly when I'm on a good streak.

I'm not the best SSBM player on the block but I like to brush up with various different characters to maximize fun. I hope that others will reply who do the same.

KJAZZ
09-09-2006, 02:06 AM
I like Luigi and Kirby, Luigi's probably my best character though. Maybe. Not really sure. I hardly ever play anymore. My little brother and a friend of mine overplay the game whenever he's here, with almost all of their matches on Final Destination, not to mention they take it too seriously. You really don't know how annoying it is until you've witnessed the same turn of events happen nearly every saturday for a couple years now.

Mitsukara
09-14-2006, 01:56 PM
I like Peach, personally- specifically with the Daisy color scheme, yay SML ^.^ I like her aerial maneuvering capabilities (namely the SMB2 hovering)- an awful lot of my strategy hinges on dodging and maneuvering. Kind of weak for most purposes though. I also overuse certain items when possible.

How do I always find something unpopular to like?

Anyway, when Peach is failing me, I find Link and Luigi are pretty dependable. Donkey Kong seems to be excellent for certain things (like the 100 man melee, for instance...)

I don't get to play against people much, so mostly I do the various 1 player modes and sometimes computer duals. Much prefer stock and/or hit points to timed games for the most part.

I really need to hook up my gamecube in my room again. Gotta unearth my TV first though...

But yeah, I'd totally lose against most of you, LOL.

MANDRAG GANON
09-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Roy, Shiek, Mewtwo

In that order

I usually play with out items but if I do play with items then i turn of healing and pokeballs. I also like the levels which are more open and less hectic, Hyrule Temple and Final Destination are 2 of my favorite levels. When playing with computers I prefer a team of 3 level 9s against me.

I like Link but hes overpowered I find... I wont even start on kid link.

Good stuff....puts me in the mood to play again, which I am going to do right now :D

*b*
09-14-2006, 03:24 PM
My best character is Falco, but my favorite to play as is Marth. I also play as Link a lot, though I'm not as good with him as I am with Falco or Marth