PDA

View Full Version : How do you use the sfx?

Freedom
09-04-2006, 09:16 PM
I see how you load the sfx files, but I see no additions in the screen data to use them, or any way to use them when you "trigger" something.

like secrets trigger sound....

jman2050
09-04-2006, 10:29 PM
1-34 are used the same way as normal sounds. You just replace them with whatever you like. A list of which numbers correspond to which sound will be posted soon.

As for using the other sounds, the only other way of playing them is via the PLAYSOUNDV and PLAYSOUNDR commands in FFC scripting.

ShadowTiger
09-04-2006, 10:52 PM
As for using the other sounds, the only other way of playing them is via the PLAYSOUNDV and PLAYSOUNDR commands in FFC scripting.Er.. This post is stupidity-driven, but why does an objective command like PLAYSOUND need a value to reference AND A value to compare? I'm referring to ...NDV and ...NDR of course. Can't it just play a sound? PLAYSOUND,1 etc.

DarkDragon
09-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Yes. V just means the parameter is a hard value, R means it is a register.

Nicholas Steel
09-04-2006, 11:01 PM
i would think that PLAYSOUNDV is too specify what sound and PLAYSOUNDR is too specify where to play the sound.

edit: O_o heya darkdragoon.... posted same time heh.
edit2: why is my post wider then the others? is it because i edited it?

_L_
09-04-2006, 11:01 PM
It's internally consistent with SETR/SETV, COMPARER/COMPAREV and the others.

Freedom
09-05-2006, 03:47 AM
well that SUX is all I can say.
In other words we're going to be forced to learn this damned scripting language like it or not, and even the "experts" above can't seem to agree how it should be used.

Zelda Classic was cool because you didn't have to be a programmer to use it, that seems to have all gone by the wayside now.
I don't have the next two years free to learn it.

DarkDragon
09-05-2006, 05:12 AM
I've added void Game->PlaySound(int) to ZScript for b13. My mistake that it was left out.

Freedom, don't be ludicrous. First, I think you'll come to find that an organized and straight-forward scripting system is much less confusing and more user-friendly (not to metion powerful) than the current way of doing quest special effects, which is to memorize a bunch of clever yet convoluted and arcane hacks and tricks to get around the limitations of the engine. Second, nobody is forcing you to do anything; some of the best quests I've played have been authored by yourself and contain no scripts.

jman2050
09-05-2006, 10:47 AM
Don't worry Freedom. The SFX editor is a new addition, and as such has not been fully matured. There WILL be options that allow you to change sound effects of certain events, don't worry about that. The primary goal is to mature the scripting language while allowing questmakers who can't script to be able to use the new features we've alloed. We're getting to that point, but it's a gradual process :)