PDA

View Full Version : Conversion from 1.92, beta 183 to current version.

DarkFlameWolf
09-04-2006, 05:25 PM
Let's say I was considering updating all my quests to the latest ZC version and fixing all bugs existing in the process and furthermore making them fully compatible with the latest version. Why types of things would I be needing to be on the watch for when updating the quest? What things would I need to change to make it compatible with the latest ZC?

jman2050
09-04-2006, 05:38 PM
In theory, all you'd have to do is save the quest as a 12d quest and it'll be done with. I'm not entirely sure if there are any pressing compatibility problems with 1.92 quests converted to 2.11 quests, except for one thing:

continue points.

In 2.11 beta 12d, the continue bug is fully fixed, but you have to be careful of one thing. ANY exit/entrance warp will count as a continue point, no matter what, so if you don't want to continue somewhere, either use an insta warp or check te 'don't continue here' screen flag.

Actually, i lied, there is one other thing. There are four new rules that will be automatically checked fr a 1.92 quest. 'Flyers on walls', 'No bomb pal flash', 'no scroll continue', and in beta 13, 'use old-style warp detection'. The first two you probably don't have to worry about, and the third one you will want to turn off if you want scrolling warps to act as continue points. The fourt one is more of a decision. See, the warp detection was changed drastically from 2.10 to 2.11. All old quests played in beta 13 will automatically use the old warp detection scheme, making it act exactly as it does in beta 183 (the only difference is in damage combos, but that's subtle enough to not really matter). If you choose to keep the old warp detection scheme, fine, but do know that this will prevent you from using ANY of the B,C, or D warps, sensitive warps, save game flags, etc. So if you want your 182 quest to stay as it is, keep the rule checked. However, if you plan on adding those new features to the quest, make sure the quest rule is unchecked, but realize that this will make subtle but noticable changes in the way warps are handled.

That should be all. if anyone else has any specifics, please state them here.

DarkFlameWolf
09-05-2006, 01:11 PM
Okay, sometime shortly after Lost Isle is released, (we finally agreed it will be for whatever latest ZC beta out currently) I will be updating every one of my quests to the latest version. So for that purpose alone. I will be needing testers all over again for each of my quests.

jman2050
09-05-2006, 01:12 PM
Like i said, wait a bit. Beta 12.9 has some bugs that are being addressed. once all the major kinks have been worked out, we'll move on to beta 13 which should be a whole lot more stable for yur purposes.

DarkFlameWolf
09-05-2006, 06:02 PM
Furthermore, in your opinion, what new features can I easily implement from the latest ZC into my existing quests without dramatically changing how they play? What new features would be great for updating my quests without overhauling them?

rocksfan13
09-05-2006, 06:29 PM
Definately custom subscreens DFW. I couldn't think of something else better.

WindStrike
09-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Hmm... well, there're the new enemies, the subscreen editor (Make sure you back up your quest and then try it, as it has known to currently corrupt files (Like Sir_Johnamus's case)), screen-specific midis (That'll cut the number the dmaps needed down(Bosses/Minibosses obviously), ... a bunch of other things, but I don't really know them. Tis all the current help I can give.

jman2050
09-05-2006, 07:51 PM
Also room-state carryovers. If you ended up using the boss room->trigger enemy trick at any point, room state carryovers could easily replace it.

DarkFlameWolf
09-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Explain that function please Jman.

jman2050
09-06-2006, 05:24 PM
Let's say you have a secret in map 1 screen 10. You specify the room state carryover to map 2 screen 25. When you trigger the secret in map 1 screen 10, it ALSO triggers the secret in map 2 screen 25. Also, the carryovers continue in a chain. So if the room state carryover for map 2 screen 25 was, say, map 3 screen 40, when you trigger the secret in the first screen, it'll trigger the secret in both the second AND third screen. Same goes for items, and a bunch of other flags that every room has. It really isa very useful function.

Exdeath
09-06-2006, 08:42 PM
Jman,

I set it up just like you said and it does not work.

I have a cave room (map 2 screen 10) with a block that can be hit with the sword to trigger a secret. On the room state carryover screen, I specified map 1 screen 20 (a screen on the overworld). I set up secret flags on 2 rocks to make them disappear when secrets are triggered. It does not work. Help!

jman2050
09-06-2006, 09:16 PM
odd, it should work. Are you sure this is in the latest beta? There was a bug before that caused that behavior to occur.

DarkFlameWolf
09-06-2006, 10:35 PM
Take that conversation to PM, I don't want to derail this topic from its original intent, was basically what I'd need to know about converting old quests to the latest betas and new features I should use.

Freedom
09-07-2006, 12:35 AM
The biggest thing you're going to have to look at with your quests DFW are the continue points, otherwise they are pretty straight forward and tight.
I personally think you should wait a bit longer before upgrading, I plan to do the same thing, but not with what's available right now.

DarkFlameWolf
09-07-2006, 12:14 PM
then my question is, what is a step-by-step process when converting to the latest beta to completely eliminate any continue bugs once I cross over with my quests?