PDA

View Full Version : Custom Miniboss of the Week #2: Lololo and Lalala

_L_
09-04-2006, 02:53 AM
After last week's CMotW, I was a bit hard pressed to think of a followup. Y'see, although I've got quite a lot of boss ideas, I can't implement them using this beta because I need either: the ability to stack Singular and Strike on an FFC, the SQRT function, the trigonometry functions, RNDV, or ENQUEUE.

So instead, here's something a little different: everybody's favourite fraternal twin block-pushing heroes-turned-bosses. Defeat Red Aquamentus to access their room.

Notes:
* Property of HAL Laboratory Inc. I Do Not Own et cetera.
* These little tykes have a more accurate damage flash routine than Red Aquamentus, thanks to jman2050.
* Since there is no RNDV function yet, I've had to make their movement routines deterministic.
* Since there's no way to stack Singular and Strike flags on an FFC, they both use the same HP variable. Sorry.
* The "Lololo Arranged" MIDI is sequenced by "Jace", whoever that is.

NO LONGER AVAILABLE! Technology has moved on, leaving this behind. (Real reason: the only remaining copy has some bugs that I don't feel like ever fixing.)

Master_of_Power
09-04-2006, 08:03 AM
Fighting the red aquamentus is like pulling teeth! ugh

I cheated and gave myself more heart containers, but even then, at the end of them, I ended up with only 3 hearts. Either I suck or its too hard(I'd go with the first one)

jman2050
09-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Umm, can't you just put regular singular flags all over the room so that the inherent flags will trigger seperately? I know I programmed it to work that way...

_L_
09-04-2006, 09:26 AM
Er, what? It sounds counterintuitive that a freeform combo acquires some of the behaviour of the flagged combo it's resting on!

Ah, counterintuition - my oldest nemesis.

jman2050
09-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Perhaps, but it was the only method I can think of at the time without having to resort to combos having multiple flags.

Jigglysaint
09-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Very good work. The red aquamentus was the first ZC challenge I've had in a long time.

However, one problem I've noticed, and that is the heart container is out in the open. If custom bosses are made, that's going to present a problem since the HC can't appear like normal when the boss dies.

BTW, I would say that VEL's special bosses are just about doable now, eh?

VEL
09-04-2006, 07:54 PM
BTW, I would say that VEL's special bosses are just about doable now, eh?

That would be cool! I have had tiles made up for some of them for quite awhile, if anybody wants them let me know (they are made for the BS tileset). I have tiles for the large versions of Tektites, Keese, Vire, Rope, Wallmaster, Ghini, Like Like, Octoroc, Wizzrobe, Zora, Zol, Pol's Voice, and Peahat. Some of these weren't in the faked pics I made.

redmage777
09-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Perhaps, but it was the only method I can think of at the time without having to resort to combos having multiple flags.

Coulden't there be an option added that sets a Default flag to all non-flagged tiles on a given screen? This would be quite useful for things like this...

Exdeath
09-15-2006, 01:42 AM
Both of your minibosses are very buggy in beta 13. Hopefully that OSX version comes out for you soon. ;)

_L_
09-16-2006, 03:59 AM
Like what kinds of bugs?

Grumble, grumble...

Exdeath
09-16-2006, 01:15 PM
Aquamentus is mostaly graphical bugs, although sometimes his fire shoots in strange ways. Lololo and Lalala are extremely buggy however.

1. They always stay together, one right after another.

2. They start to come out of one hole, then abruptly disappear and come out of another.

3. Their pattern seems painfully predictable (it seemed more random before).

Hopefully you can see for yourself soon...

_L_
09-17-2006, 01:37 AM
1. They always stay together, one right after another.

It seems that the A1 value for Lololo (normally 4) is being set to 1 - which seems to be the result of this bug. (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=93588) Not my problem, then.

Gleeok
11-19-2007, 08:21 AM
These files need an update along with the red aquamentus methinks.:)
Also, Are these scripts compatable with the current builds perhaps, or if not would they be in Zscript as opposed to ZASM?

lucas92
07-30-2008, 03:36 PM
The download is broken.... :(

Is there someone that have it?

Din
08-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Did you try right clicking on the link to the quest and selecting "Save Link As"?

_L_
08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
Why would you want to see this? It was written in 2006 before ZScript was invented. And the twins in question only had two frames of animation!