PDA

View Full Version : So long, Steve...

Starkist
09-04-2006, 01:39 AM
The Crocodile Hunter was killed by a deadly stingray today. It's sad, he seemed like one of the few good people in the world.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,20349888-2,00.html

:(

goKi
09-04-2006, 01:58 AM
Steve Irwin was a great person. Having met him at Australia Zoo before, i'm very saddened by this loss. He was a great (although eccentric) representative of Australia.

Steve Irwin - 22/2/62 - 4/9/06 :(

Rainman
09-04-2006, 02:15 AM
Holy shit, that's sad. I always liked him for his enthusiasm for nature.

redmage777
09-04-2006, 02:23 AM
It is sad to hear he is gone. Apperently He Died doing what he loves, helping people learn about the wonterful wild life of our world in away few, if any have ever done. I too will miss him, My thoughts and prayers go out to Terri and their kids.

War Lord
09-04-2006, 03:22 AM
That's such a manly way to go.

Beldaran
09-04-2006, 03:44 AM
While I realize this is very sad and that Steve was a father and a (presumably) good man, I can't help but laugh and/or sneer at the irony everytime an animal lover is killed by an animal.

I have no remorse about killing animals for my own betterment, as I know they would have no remorse about killing me.

War Lord
09-04-2006, 04:41 AM
What you're missing here is the fact at how manly this is.
A fucking BARB THROUGH THE CHEST.

HE IS A GOD.

Matteo
09-04-2006, 05:27 AM
There was nothing manly about those shorts of his that he wore...

WindStrike
09-04-2006, 09:37 AM
Seconded, War Lord...

Well, ok... not just through the way you mentioned, but also because he was one of the coolest guys in the world, catching crocodiles and saying "Crikey" 24-7... god I'm being too obvious. Ah whatever then... good-bye, Steve.

ShadowTiger
09-04-2006, 10:00 AM
It was the first thing I heard when I woke up in the morning. It's funny how people love to start topics about how people died, but not about how people are born to celebrities. How people love their drama. :rolleyes:

I'd say "He lived a good life," but that doesn't do all that much justice to the family and the baby which still need him, so...

hellebeest
09-04-2006, 11:16 AM
I heard this when i woke up myself too, partially anyway (not really awake when i wake up :P)
Didn't exactly hear the way he died (will read the link).
I don't have anything with reptiles, but he sure had a way that made the program interesting.

Holy shit, that's sad. I always liked him for his enthusiasm for nature.
This was probably the reason.

Jigglysaint
09-04-2006, 11:42 AM
Too bad it was him and not those Kratt Brothers.

Anyway, wow, that is terrible. I am sure he knew that there was a great chance that his life would end while on the job. But he died doing what he loved, and not many of us get that oppertunity. I hope he took care of his family, especially since he knew his job would be that dangerous.

AtmaWeapon
09-04-2006, 12:40 PM
It was the first thing I heard when I woke up in the morning. It's funny how people love to start topics about how people died, but not about how people are born to celebrities. How people love their drama. :rolleyes:Probably because most celebrities have children that turn out to be pricks and burdens to society, whereas their parents gain a place in the public's heart through whatever they did to become celebrities.

I'd say "He lived a good life," but that doesn't do all that much justice to the family and the baby which still need him, so...Yeah this is mainly why I'm sad about it, I mean I expected this guy to die years ago but leaving behind a family is always a tragedy. I'm sure they are financially well off but having money isn't the same as having a daddy.

When I read about this last night it was only coming from a small Austrailian paper and I went to bed hoping it wasn't true. The man lived a life of agitating deadly animals, but it's still a shame to hear of his death. He had a really good feel for what was "too far" with animals, so it's a shame to hear he accidentally boxed in the stingray. It kind of makes me think he didn't even see it, which to me is far worse than if he was manhandling it in his typical fashion when it attacked.

It's like nature sent a Rogue with the Sneak Attack feat for a PvP gank.

Prrkitty
09-04-2006, 02:43 PM
I "very" religiously watched his shows. And actually Paul and I were planning on making a visit to the Zoo and trying to meet him, his wife, Terri, Bindi Sue (named after Steve's Mom), and baby Bob (named after Steve's dad).

The world has lost a mostest exquisite man today... and on top of that... it's on my parents wedding anniversary. Be sure you say some prayers for his family, the zoo family and his publicity family... as well as those of us that feel his loss so intensely ... even though most of us probably haven't even met him.

God be with those in need of His healing presence in this matter... and all the other trials and tribulations of life.

Darth Marsden
09-04-2006, 02:59 PM
They were talking about it on a local radio station, and apparently (this is from my sister, this thread is the first I've heard about this :( ) they fisnished by saying 'And I'm sure he wouldn't mind me saying See you later, Alligator'.

Anyone else think that's in bad taste?

redmage777
09-04-2006, 04:34 PM
When I read about this last night it was only coming from a small Austrailian paper and I went to bed hoping it wasn't true. The man lived a life of agitating deadly animals, but it's still a shame to hear of his death. He had a really good feel for what was "too far" with animals, so it's a shame to hear he accidentally boxed in the stingray. It kind of makes me think he didn't even see it, which to me is far worse than if he was manhandling it in his typical fashion when it attacked.

It's like nature sent a Rogue with the Sneak Attack feat for a PvP gank.

Indeed, Most Sting Ray attacks are not Fatal, Its a very rare occurance that one Hits a diver in the Chest. It ussualy occurs when a diver is swimming horizantaly on the floor of the sea and end up 'bumping' into one as they swim over it. The vast majority of attacks hit the Victem in the Leg and cause minor injurys. From what I've read I've seen no indication that he was actually "handling" the ray when it happened.

lord_jamitossi
09-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Apparently he must have died in excruciating pain. The venom of this kind of sting ray isn't fatal, but it quite literally makes you want to die. I told my brother about this and he found a site (which I have lost, unfortunately) in which a doctor they interviewed claims to have had people begging him to amputate their legs in order to stop the pain. I mean, that's hardcore. What's more, the barbs are kinda barbed (hense them not being needles, I guess) so they would completely tear flesh apart.

Pity. I liked Steve. He was a swell guy.

Breaker
09-04-2006, 09:20 PM
I can only pray to die as awesome as that.

Beldaran
09-04-2006, 09:35 PM
I can only pray to die as awesome as that.

You don't have to pray. I'd be happy to kill you in some awesome way.:evil:

biggiy05
09-04-2006, 10:37 PM
Apparently he must have died in excruciating pain. The venom of this kind of sting ray isn't fatal, but it quite literally makes you want to die. I told my brother about this and he found a site (which I have lost, unfortunately) in which a doctor they interviewed claims to have had people begging him to amputate their legs in order to stop the pain. I mean, that's hardcore. What's more, the barbs are kinda barbed (hense them not being needles, I guess) so they would completely tear flesh apart.

Pity. I liked Steve. He was a swell guy.

Sources have said that they got his started once but no luck after that so it was a sudden death then they bring him back just for a few minutes. I guess it pierced a hole in his heart.

mikeron
09-04-2006, 10:58 PM
Apparently he must have died in excruciating pain.I doubt it - he most likely went into shock and died immediately. I imagine he died happy though, and Maddox will have to append his tribute to real men.

ONeilcool
09-05-2006, 12:32 AM
This whole deal has been bigger then I thought it would be. Just a few hours after he died it seemed like the whole world knew about it. I know its important and all, i'm not saying its not. Im just saying this news spread really quickly

Prrkitty
09-05-2006, 12:33 AM
From the reports that I've read... one of the reports on the cnn.com site... as people have viewed the attack (Steve was being recorded as he was swimming) it's being said they think he died instantly.

OH... and I made a mistake when I said Bindi was named after Steve's mom. His mom's name was Lyn. And Bindi was named after the first female croc he caught and Bindi's middle name, Sue, was after Steve's Dog Sueie (spelling).

Jigglysaint
09-05-2006, 12:53 AM
He finally showed once and for all why kids at home should never do what he did. But it's good he didn't hold a grudge against the animals. I hope the stingray wasn't killed or anything(No animals were harmed during the taping of this show, but the host was killed).

Steve...His life was a load of Croc!

Dechipher
09-05-2006, 01:07 AM
He finally showed once and for all why kids at home should never do what he did. But it's good he didn't hold a grudge against the animals. I hope the stingray wasn't killed or anything(No animals were harmed during the taping of this show, but the host was killed).

Steve...His life was a load of Croc!

It's called tact.

Ich
09-05-2006, 02:09 AM
This is pretty sad, and for some reason, reminds me a lot of the film Grizzly Man (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_Man).

rocksfan13
09-05-2006, 08:38 AM
Sad indeed. A one in a million shot. A big loss to the animal community.
*pauses for silence*
You will be sorely missed.

ZTC
09-05-2006, 10:22 AM
What you're missing here is the fact at how manly this is.
A fucking BARB THROUGH THE CHEST.

I thought that I heard that he took the sucker out himself right after he got stabbed

My thoughts go out to his family :(

Cloral
09-05-2006, 01:18 PM
I was just reading the story, and it said that he got stabbed in the heart by its 20cm barb. For those of us in the US, that's about 8 inches! I had no idea stingrays had such vicious weapons.

moocow
09-05-2006, 01:35 PM
I still can't believe the croc hunter is dead... how sad. He's so cool :(

PS:

http://www.seaturtlehospital.org/raybarb1.jpg

That's a barb that was pulled out of that turtle's neck (obviously).

Yikes...

Glitch
09-05-2006, 02:43 PM
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1219/1157429846747pk9.gif

moocow
09-05-2006, 03:02 PM
You're sick, Lee.

Archibaldo
09-05-2006, 03:51 PM
I heard my brother say something about it yesterday. I thought he was just bull shitting me. I never expected Steve Irwin to die. It just doesn't seem right you know?

ZTC
09-05-2006, 04:06 PM
Glitch's post (http://www.armageddongames.net/showpost.php?p=1090216&postcount=31)

I lol'd

this 'quote' came to my mind for an alternative thread title:
"By Crikey, he's dead!"

mmkay, maybe I'm getting a little too morbid here :odd: :weirdo:

biggiy05
09-05-2006, 04:42 PM
I thought that I heard that he took the sucker out himself right after he got stabbed

My thoughts go out to his family :(

He did. They filmed him pulling the barb out and then he was gone. There is more info here (http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/04/tv/main1965398.shtml) and my previous post is wrong. They didn't bring him back.

You're sick, Lee.

It shouldn't surprise you that he posted something like that but I agree.

moocow
09-05-2006, 04:59 PM
He did. They filmed him pulling the barb out and then he was gone. There is more info here (http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/04/tv/main1965398.shtml) and my previous post is wrong. They didn't bring him back.

Correction, they couldn't bring him back. They aren't positive what exactly killed him... either a heartattack, an allergic reaction to the venom (the venom deteriorates tissue quickly) on the barb or the puncture wound itself. The barb has a rigid surface, so when it went in his chest, it tore up the flesh in his heart pretty badly. Whatever killed him, did it quick, obviously. I read that dying from being stabbed with a barb is rare, considering most people who get "stung" get stabbed in the leg/foot from stepping on one accidentally.

I feel for his wife and kids... I'm sure they're well off financially, but to have your husband or father taken from you so unexpectedly... I personally think it's rude to laugh and poke fun at it. He's a well respected man with a family. He was taken from this world in a cruel and unusual way, sure, but it's far from funny.