PDA

View Full Version : ZC Final Poll

jman2050
08-30-2006, 11:39 AM
ok, at this point, we have two paths we can go through. We can either

A) Continue with what we're doing, ensuring that a stable release won't get released until later this year (it WILL come this year though) and possibly introducing more bugs with each succesive beta or

B) Take the code base of 12d, apply bug fixes and augmented features to that code base, and get a stable version to you in as little as a few weeks, depending on how quickly we fix bugs. However, the release with all the new features will then take some time to come out.

The choice is yours and yours alone. Good luck.

Freedom
08-30-2006, 11:50 AM
You know me, I've been screaming for a stable release for two years.
The way your "poll" is worded though doesn't exactly give enough information for a well thought out answer.
It looks like the difference is a couple weeks or four months.... but what exactly is the difference?

I'll wait and see if more info is forthcoming before I vote in the poll.

ZTC
08-30-2006, 11:56 AM
How long has it been since there *was* a completely stable release? ;)
Personally, I'm on the fence with this one. I can see how some people would want a release "as soon as possible", while others wouldn't mind waiting. This will take some thinking on my part to come to a decision... =/ (lol)

Mega Link
08-30-2006, 12:00 PM
I choose option B. I would rather be able to use ZC without it crashing a lot (aspecially if your using the subsreen editor!) than get a new feature.:D

jman2050
08-30-2006, 12:00 PM
Sorry for not wording it properly. Basically, we're working on something that will be an awesome change for ZC (and one that can open the floodgates as far a quest design goes). However, it can possibly take quite a few months before it's table enough for release. On the other hand, we have the source or beta 12d still, and we can instead work on that, fixing bugs and adding smaller features that people want, then release that as a stable version in a couple of weeks. Then we can continue working on this change of ZC, which'll still take a while, but at least there'll be a stable versin in the meantime. So what do you say?

Freedom
08-30-2006, 12:15 PM
I say go for a stable release. ;)
That should cover all the quests that have been made up to this point, and the ones people are now working on, and then open the floodgates in the next version. ;)

elise
08-30-2006, 12:30 PM
I second that first a stable release and then you have more time and less pressure to release a version with all the new goodies ;)
and the zelda community has a stable version to work and play with in the meanwhile :)

Dart Zaidyer
08-30-2006, 12:44 PM
While a stable release *would* be nice, I'm not sure that I can personally condone such a gesture since several planned features are still missing. Completion of the new Link tiles/ animation system is a biggie, and we're still stuck with the SMAS screenwipe instead of something Zelda-like or adjustable, among other things like the need for larger monsters to go with larger Link.

Exdeath
08-30-2006, 12:52 PM
I choose option A, unless 1.90 style Tribbles will be reimplemented soon.

I really haven't had crashing problems with the betas. The only obvious problem I've seen (vires not splitting) has been fixed. While I would like to see a stable version, I cannot consider it complete if older quests don't work correctly.

I would really like to ditch the old DOS 1.90 version.

http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=93009

Mega Link
08-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Most of the crashing is in the tiles grabber and the subscreen editor.

rocksfan13
08-30-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm going for the stable release. I agree with everything Freedom said. Get it stable now, for those that have quests in it (and there are many, myself included). Then work on the flood gate. I believe people are interested in what's new, but you guys have been at 2.11 for a while now. What's 6 more months?
I am interested in seeing what you guys are working on, but I must agree that the stable version should come first.

Nick
08-30-2006, 01:01 PM
Seeing as the feature that changes ZC will take some time anyway, I go for Option B. I'd rather have a stable release with what we have already... as it's been awhile since we've had something that could be called stable (2.10 was not stable).

Edit: Such a good thing I didn't vote yet... as I said the wrong option in this post originally. :P

*b*
08-30-2006, 01:22 PM
Despite the fact that this really isn't an informed decision, I suppose I'll go with B. However, it had better be COMPLETLEY bug free!

erm2003
08-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Option B does sound like the way to go. It would be nice to have a stable version, especially for a lot of the newer people here who have been bouncing back and forth. It may even get me to play around with some old ideas I had. I have no problem waiting for the new features, but let's iron out what we have here before a major overhaul. We need time to appreciate all the hard work you guys have done to get us to beta 12d.

Limzo
08-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Nnnnnnoooooooo!
Please can someone change my vote from A to B?
I thought it meant that if we chose A then 12d would be fixed and no new features would be added until we had a completely stable 12d, and then beta 13 (be careful. I suspect that there will be a lot of bugs in 13 lol) will come out with new features and not half as many bugs, but now after reading through it again I change my mind to B, seeing as a stable release is what we really need.

Freedom
08-30-2006, 01:43 PM
I like the new features as much as anyone, but I have 3 quests I've stopped on now because 2.10 is so problematic and uncertainty where 2.11 is going.
I can't get shops to work consistantly in 2.10 and can't see releasing something that just isn't going to work for many.
The 2.11b10b is probably the most stable of the 2.11's but it has some problems too.
2.11b12's all of them, just depressed the hell out of me.
there's something in there causing features to work and then not work and then work again, I don't even know how to report that as a bug, like with the item selector, for some people it just disappears, while others have no problem.
I just seems really unstable to me, it's not tight like the 2.11b10b was, meaning it's like on the verge of just sailing off with the wind, I can't pinpoint it, but have that feeling it's just about to unleash chaos, and it's going to land right on my face.

I hope by stable release, you mean tightening it up and fixing these problems, that I can't even seem to describe.

redmage777
08-30-2006, 02:08 PM
I vote option "B" we could always have another stable release 6 months from now right? And let me stess that importing and tile grabing must work flawlessly. With each new version It become harder for me to import my graphics into a quest, and its been addressed many times.

Dlbrooks33
08-30-2006, 02:14 PM
you people are so raggedy. We need a stable release so the developers can cool down for a few months (not years, you do not know if people will live that long) then after a few months we can continue with betas :D.

ShadowTiger
08-30-2006, 02:18 PM
IMHO, continuing with what we appear to be doing now, is like trying to rush your way through any given First Person Shooter game (Half Life or Serious Sam.) by just rushing through all the levels, running through all enemies, wading through damaging slime, ... ... etc. You get all the perks of seeing the new areas and enemies, and yeah, sure, it's glorious as anything, but you don't arrive there in the best of health. (But look at the bright side; you can finally lick your elbow. :p ... Since it's not attached to your body.)

So yeah, let's just concentrate on fixing up all the bugs while we have the chance.

Petoe
08-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Fixing bugs should be more important now than adding new uber cool revolutionary features. ;)

ZC community is badly in a need of a new stable version, there hasn't been one of those in ages. So I vote for option B.

WindStrike
08-30-2006, 03:13 PM
Only problem with voting B is that Neofirst will need to not just speed up the pace, but it'll need way more speed. Ya know.... like... L33t-Uber-Fast-Speed-Demon-Skillz-Of-DOOOOOOOMMM!
Yeah... I think I said that really really fast...
Either way, I still picked option B, purely because 2.11 has way more than enough features already... and the fact that it's been how long since the last one came out? 1.7 years, something like that... anyhow, it's been a while and bug fixes are what too many of us have prayed for for too long. Heck, some of us BEGGED for it. Ooo... and the beg for the 2.10 bugfix release, which doesn't exist nor will it ever exist.

rocksfan13
08-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Only problem with voting B is that Neofirst will need to not just speed up the pace, but it'll need way more speed.

That's a good point. What will happen with NeoFirst if this is released sooner than planned?
Will it be held off until the next one or just released as an ordinary custom quest.

elise
08-30-2006, 05:47 PM
Can't they put the Neofirst in when thats ready ? I think people really want a stable version and we don't need the Neofirstquest for that :shrug:

Master_of_Power
08-30-2006, 06:53 PM
(b)

Hunting bugs is fun...

Rulehy
08-30-2006, 07:08 PM
I say "B" for sure! I love new stuff, but I would rather have the bugs fixed
and be able to make a COMPLEATLY bug free quest.

Rakki
08-30-2006, 07:24 PM
As long as NeoFirst isn't expected in this stable release, I vote B. Seriously, it can't be expected to be finished in a matter of weeks when we still need levels 2 AND 3 built.

jman2050
08-30-2006, 07:39 PM
As long as NeoFirst isn't expected in this stable release, I vote B. Seriously, it can't be expected to be finished in a matter of weeks when we still need levels 2 AND 3 built.

Not if I have something to say about it *hint hint*

ShadowTiger
08-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Hints suck, jman. I'm only psychic when it comes to rock, paper, and occasionally scissors. Your hints are in a deviously creative world of their own. PM people as necessary.

EDIT: Added a smily to show that I'm serious but not deadly serious.

:)

zyoss2000
08-30-2006, 09:22 PM
I like suggestion B. I really want a stable version of ZC so I can work on a really good quest.

4matsy
08-30-2006, 10:45 PM
B is for bugfix. :p

Yeah...I remember reading once that fixing bugs as soon as possible increases productivity by some large percentage (around 75%, I think?), since you don't have to deal with all the bugs later on when they start compounding.

Makes sense, I guess. :p

JayeM
08-30-2006, 11:12 PM
How about releasing the bugfree version that's backward-compatible and keeping it available to play older quests. Then go to work on the new version, not bothering to make it backward-compatible. NeoZC (or some new name) with the streamlined code, which I would think would be much easier to work with. You could take your time with it, as people would have a good version to work with and wouldn't be bugging you to hurry.

Petoe
09-04-2006, 11:30 AM
So, umm... What it's gonna be then? Option B is clearly winning, and there has been no new votes in days. So will we see a new full and hopefully bugfree ZC release in the near future?

Sorry for being so impatient, but I'm having a debate with someone about converting a quest to a new version of ZC from ZC 1.92 b183, and the only reason to prevent this seems to be that the betas are so buggy. But if a stable ZC release happens in the near future... oh boy! :)

jman2050
09-04-2006, 12:11 PM
We're going with option B with a little bit of option A. We won't scrap what we've done so far, bt we won't progress ast what we already have publicly planned until a new version comes out

The_Amaster
09-04-2006, 12:50 PM
B is definatly the way to go. I mean, I don't know about those in collage, or beyond, but for us high-schoolers, we aren't going to have much tiem to work in ZC anyway, so now is the perfect time to cut the feature making, and make a stable release.

Sir_Johnamus
09-04-2006, 12:58 PM
I like B. Sorry I'm late...
I say make a stable release. Especially the subscreen editor...

Nicholas Steel
09-04-2006, 07:39 PM
i would say B unless it means we lose the ability to have custom items and the new c script compiler... will option B involve bug fixes for beta 12.9 or beta 12d? (im aware that the first post says 12d)

DarkDragon
09-04-2006, 07:55 PM
12.9. As jman said we will not backtrack from what we have so far.

Nicholas Steel
09-04-2006, 08:14 PM
yes... and i think jman2050 has been referring beta 12.9 as beta 13... but i could be wrong.

DarkDragon
09-04-2006, 08:19 PM
The current beta 12.9 is named such purely to indicate that it will be a buggy release, with 13 following shortly once the compiler and item scripts have been aggressively tested.

The numbers themselves are pretty meaningless; 12.9 is just the "next" beta in a linear progression of betas :shrug:

Nicholas Steel
09-04-2006, 08:20 PM
thank you for the fast responses.