PDA

View Full Version : Tecmo Classics on Wii

Warlock
08-30-2006, 11:03 AM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/729/729152p1.html

August 29, 2006 - It seems like everyone's signing up to bring their gaming backlog to the Wii Virtual Console. The latest to jump on the retro bandwagon is Tecmo, the maker of Dead or Alive and Ninja Gaiden. As part of a financial report issued on the 28th, the company promised to support the Virtual Console "aggressively." Specifics were not revealed.

Other areas mentioned in the financial report, which covers the upcoming business term, are a worldwide simultaneous launch for Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 and a promise to tackle new titles, with Wii's Super Swing Golf Pangya given as an example. The company didn't make mention of Xbox Live Arcade or Sony's PS3 download service.

Tecmo was a big name at the time of the NES, with classics like Tecmo Bowl and the original Ninja Gaiden series. The latest 3D Ninja Gaiden will likely end up on the Xbox 360, but fans of the original series can probably look forward to a revisit on the Wii.

There ya go Mott :D Now we just need the same thing from Konami and Capcom and we are set.

MottZilla
08-30-2006, 03:19 PM
Indeed, with support from some of the bigger name (and older) developers it will certainly help. Personally I'd like to see Capcom, Konami, as well as SNK / Playmore re-release collections or via Virtul Console their great arcade game libraries. We'd finally have 4 player Ninja Turtles at home. ;)

Warlock
08-30-2006, 03:41 PM
Indeed, with support from some of the bigger name (and older) developers it will certainly help. Personally I'd like to see Capcom, Konami, as well as SNK / Playmore re-release collections or via Virtul Console their great arcade game libraries. We'd finally have 4 player Ninja Turtles at home. ;)

SNK went out of business right? Who owns them now? Capcom?

Anyways, speaking of four player - I wonder if Nintendo will find a way to modify multiplayer games to use network code and run over wifi. I think if they did, it would have to be special, select games since I doubt this is a universal thing they could do (and obviously something like SMB1 where the two players aren't simultanious *anyways* is pointless), but stuff like any of the old Mario Karts, Bomberman (if they get Hudson support), Double Dragon, etc would rock.

MottZilla
08-30-2006, 05:17 PM
No, SNK became Playmore and they are not out of business. They were like, bought by someone which really translates to they haven't gone anywhere. Not owned by SNK but for NeoGeo, the Metal Slug series is coming to Wii. That is something that is awesome. I just hope it does well and they release Metal Slug 6 for Wii. Fuck a PS2 port.

About multiplayer VC games over the internet, that is perfectly possible and you can already play such games over the internet with your roms. The problem is no matter what the control will be lagged. In online games you generally either have lag and input is delayed, or you use prediction (do what you think will happen) and correct it later if you need to. Certain games have what works for them. Forinstance a FPS game is best to be predicted and not dead synced. The last thing you want is players lagging and they move behind an object for cover, but because of lag you drag their ass back out in the open and they get shot. Although it's bad enough in some games where you will die after you've reached cover because of lag.

Games like WarCraft 3 ofcourse don't really suffer control lag because it's an RTS. But Fighting Games, Platformers, probably other games types as well all will suffer a great deal from lag. That is why really the internet need an overhaul and protocals updated to better suit low ping gaming.

Warlock
08-30-2006, 05:33 PM
No, SNK became Playmore and they are not out of business. They were like, bought by someone which really translates to they haven't gone anywhere. Not owned by SNK but for NeoGeo, the Metal Slug series is coming to Wii. That is something that is awesome. I just hope it does well and they release Metal Slug 6 for Wii. Fuck a PS2 port.

About multiplayer VC games over the internet, that is perfectly possible and you can already play such games over the internet with your roms. The problem is no matter what the control will be lagged. In online games you generally either have lag and input is delayed, or you use prediction (do what you think will happen) and correct it later if you need to. Certain games have what works for them. Forinstance a FPS game is best to be predicted and not dead synced. The last thing you want is players lagging and they move behind an object for cover, but because of lag you drag their ass back out in the open and they get shot. Although it's bad enough in some games where you will die after you've reached cover because of lag.

Games like WarCraft 3 ofcourse don't really suffer control lag because it's an RTS. But Fighting Games, Platformers, probably other games types as well all will suffer a great deal from lag. That is why really the internet need an overhaul and protocals updated to better suit low ping gaming.

I thought they went out of business and *then* someone bought them. I remember a whole "Goodbye SNK" deal awhile back.

Anyways, yeah, that's why I think they'd have to handle it on an individual game basis. At the very least I want to see online Mario Karts :D

Though actually, games that are not simultanious like SMB1 would work. That might be fun just to see if you can beat other players to the end or something.

MottZilla
08-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Watching another player in a game like that would be easy as you merely store the key presses each frame and play them back. It's how movie recording in most emulators work. First a save state is loaded, then it plays on but using your input.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-30-2006, 08:23 PM
SNK went out of business right? Who owns them now? Capcom?

Anyways, speaking of four player - I wonder if Nintendo will find a way to modify multiplayer games to use network code and run over wifi. I think if they did, it would have to be special, select games since I doubt this is a universal thing they could do (and obviously something like SMB1 where the two players aren't simultanious *anyways* is pointless), but stuff like any of the old Mario Karts, Bomberman (if they get Hudson support), Double Dragon, etc would rock.

They already have Hudson.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/708/708057p1.html

Unless I misunderstood what you meant.

Warlock
08-30-2006, 09:59 PM
They already have Hudson.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/708/708057p1.html

Unless I misunderstood what you meant.

Ah, I didn't know that - Though I suspected it since Hudson created Bonk which was pretty much *the* TGX16 game

MottZilla
08-31-2006, 12:49 AM
Actually Warlock, over 400 titles just on CD were available for TG16/PCE. That's in addition to atleast 100 games on HuCards. Bonk was just very well know and praised. Many lesser known games like Sapphire were more amazing.

Warlock
08-31-2006, 11:16 AM
Bonk was just very well know and praised.

That's what I meant. He was practically the system's mascot :P

MottZilla
08-31-2006, 02:24 PM
Actually after he became so popular, he became their mascot. Before him there was a lame ass "Jonny Turbo". Have you seen Super Air Zonk? It's like, Bonk as a punk cool dude thing. I haven't gotten around to playing it but I'm sure I will.

Kingboo30
08-31-2006, 11:10 PM
All I want next is Konami and Capcom and I'm all set. I think it's likely they'll both support the Virtual Console. Especially Capcom.

Warlock
08-31-2006, 11:25 PM
Yeah both Konami and Capcom would rock. I want some classic Contra action dammit! Followed up by some Bionic Commando and Castlevania :D

MottZilla
09-01-2006, 01:25 AM
Warlock, you should definitely try Contra Shattered Soldier for PS2. It's amazing because it really is 2D Contra on a current generation system. I could name plenty of games that would be great for the Wii library if they wanted a truely excellent backlog of games. And hey, who wouldn't like a small compact system with a backlog of nearly every game you could ever want to play? Unfortunately we know that'll never happen.

Nicholas Steel
09-01-2006, 03:21 AM

why would there be lag for the active player in a mario bros style game? just one person does a level, a movie gets created and transfered then played on the others console then they play a level.... thus no lag for the active player... however if simaltaneous play then depending on the users internet connection there may/may not be lag.

MottZilla
09-01-2006, 03:18 PM
That was my point... non-simulatanious play can just wait for the next frame breaking the smoothness of gameplay, all while the player playing doesn't have to stop at all.