PDA

View Full Version : Black Box Link and Strange Coloured Inventory

XxStalfosKingxX
08-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Well, I got fed up with all the problems I was having with my last graphix pak, so I switched to another one. Now I'm having two problems that I've never seen before... but I'm sure a lot of other people have:disgust: . Anyway, I got a lot of my first map complete on this quest and when I went to run a test, I noticed that I had a lot of fixing up to do with the sprites (but I already know how to fix that). But I also saw that when Link walked west, south, and east, he transformed into a black square. And I'm also having a problem with a light tan coloured inventory which I don't care for very much at all. I don't know what's up with the inventory or Link, but I'm guessing that it has something to do with the positioning of the Link tiles on the tile sheet...

ShadowTiger
08-28-2006, 08:23 PM
Most likely. Changing graphics packs is really only something one should do before one begins any work at all on placing combos onto the screen. Reason is, each combo refers to a tile. (Or in the case of animated tiles, several tiles.) When you change a graphic pack, ... say, .. import a .til (Tiles page setup.) it imports or replaces the tiles, but the combos don't change. Thus, the tiles the combos were referring to are now quite different, so the world looks totally bizarre. (Glitchworld, if you will.)

Importing a combo page will have a similar effect; it'll have combos referring to tiles that probably aren't in the right place, or exist at all. Importing an entire graphics pack (.zgp) will have far fewer problems in that it imports both the same combo page and tiles page and palettes from one source, so chances are, those will already have been developed and will function completely. However, the issue is, changing the combos on the combo page change the same combos that you've placed down into the world. Thus, if you change your primary grass tile into a sand tile, every single grass tile (Of that same combo.) will turn into sand in your worlds.

That's why it's best to do all your tileset set up before you start building. :p I mean, don't get me wrong, you can do a LOT in your quest before you even start laying combos. It's just that nobody will actually see most of that unless they use cheat codes and check out all your items and such. :p