PDA

View Full Version : Release date for Wii in its name?

Pineconn
08-28-2006, 03:51 PM
Someone at the Nintendo.com NSider forums (which I'm not a member of - don't look for me!) brought up a really interesting point.

[Here it be (http://forums.nintendo.com/nintendo/board/message?board.id=zelda&message.id=2028770&page=1)]

This is how this person broke it down. Wii. Split the W into two V's. A "V", in Roman numerals, is 5, so the two V's would equal 10. The remaining I's, in Roman numerals, is 1 each, equaling 2.

Could the release date be 10/2? October 2nd?

MottZilla
08-28-2006, 03:53 PM
I'd tell you, but then people dressed up as Nintendo mascosts would have to brutally murder you.

Cloral
08-28-2006, 04:52 PM
What's to say that you're supposed to add up the 1s? It could just as easily be Octover 11th. Or you could reverse the whole thing (make is US-style) and it would be November 10th. Now all of this is total BS, to illustrate that when you start breaking things down like that you're really just making stuff up. However, I'd have to say that Nov 10th is probably closer to the actual release date than any of the others.

Pineconn
08-28-2006, 05:35 PM
Hey, I didn't think this up. I'm just reporting it and saying that the formula is possible. ;)

Beldaran
08-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Actually, it breaks down like this:

"W" is VERY close to "T" in the alphabet, which stands for "Total" and ""ii" is the roman numeral two in lower case, which if translated to French and super-imposed over the semi-transparent image of a naked prostitute adds up to "of fucking time".

So there you have it. The logic is undeniable.

Modus Ponens
08-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Total...of fucking time? Sorry, Bel, ol' buddy, but I fail to see the sense in that.

I think that it's like this: the Roman numeral bit was right--Wii actually refers to income tax form W-2, so the release date will coincide with the income tax due date. So, in fact, we won't get the Wii until April 15.

Beldaran
08-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Total...of fucking time? Sorry, Bel, ol' buddy, but I fail to see the sense in that.

I think that it's like this: the Roman numeral bit was right--Wii actually refers to income tax form W-2, so the release date will coincide with the income tax due date. So, in fact, we won't get the Wii until April 15.

Wow, what a silly mistake. I guess that's what I get for having 6 straight hours of homework and then trying to post. :(

[feels dumb]

ctrl-alt-delete
08-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Just curious...if that is not what you are trying to say...what was? O.O

I think it relates to WWII, so the release date will be December 7th, the day that Japan bombed Pearl Harbor. Obviously, Japan is dropping a bomb, the Wii, and they expect to target America. BAM.

MottZilla
08-28-2006, 11:33 PM
The japanese don't like to talk about Pearl Harbor day probably. It was the day they lost the war. Shameful.

Dechipher
08-29-2006, 02:25 AM
The japanese don't like to talk about Pearl Harbor day probably. It was the day they lost the war. Shameful.
They're getting us back. If they can't kill us at least they can take over our lives.

Grasshopper
08-29-2006, 10:57 AM
“Perhaps the secret to the launch information for Wii is somehow encoded in the text of this news item.”
I don't know where this was quoted from, but how did people get the idea that "news item" is the name itself? I'd say from such a small quote, its impossible to assume anything.

AtmaWeapon
08-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Guys did you know that 911, the emergency number in the US, can also be written as 9/11, the date of the WTC attacks? IT'S TRUE!

Also, if you add up all the numbers in 9/11, you get 11, which if you draw it in the right font it looks just like the WTC's twin towers! IT'S TRUE!

Pineconn
08-29-2006, 04:47 PM
I don't know where this was quoted from, but how did people get the idea that "news item" is the name itself? I'd say from such a small quote, its impossible to assume anything.

I remember reading the quote. You can find the entire news article [here (http://zeldapower.com/content/view/288/39/)]. It's in the first paragraph of italicized text.

Tygore
08-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Guys did you know that 911, the emergency number in the US, can also be written as 9/11, the date of the WTC attacks? IT'S TRUE!

Also, if you add up all the numbers in 9/11, you get 11, which if you draw it in the right font it looks just like the WTC's twin towers! IT'S TRUE!

You failed to mention the Wingdings trick.

Cloral
08-29-2006, 06:05 PM
It's great to see how many people at AGN can detect sarcasm.

Modus Ponens
08-29-2006, 08:44 PM
What are you talking about? Nobody at AGN is sarcastic.

lord_jamitossi
08-29-2006, 09:01 PM
...Perhaps the W stands for Wednesday, meaning that it will come out on a Wednesday the 2nd. The second of May.

Or, GASP, 3 weeks ago! Mabye it's already out and we don't even know it!!!

Grasshopper
08-29-2006, 09:18 PM
Well, if Nintendo continues with their trendy release dates, then none of those dates posted are going to be it.

(North American release dates only)
Gamecube - Nov 18 2001
Gameboy Advance SP - March 23 2003
Nintendo DS - Nov 21 2004
Gameboy Micro - Oct 2 2005
Nintendo DS Lite - June 11 2006

Notice anything? Of course not. Not unless you look up those dates and find out they all occur on a Sunday. Not saying Nintendo will do it again, but if this trend continues, then Wii will also be released on a Sunday. Which means 10/2, 10/11, and 11/10 would not be the release date.

So in my opinion, the way ORIGINALFIERCEDEITYLINK come up with the release date sounds like the stupidest thing I've ever heard. :tongue: I don't think Wii has anything to do with the date. Wii is a name, that was chosen based on its meaning, not because its a secret code to the date the system comes out.

My favorite part of that "news item" is this.

Or maybe it's all just a scam to get you to read the other games we have launching this fall. One of the two.

Beldaran
08-29-2006, 10:13 PM
What are you talking about? Nobody at AGN is sarcastic.

pffff.... yeah right. Whatever you say, genius.

ctrl-alt-delete
08-29-2006, 11:08 PM
Okay...stepping away from the sarcasm for a minute...allow yours truly to make a prediction.

Nintendo will want to get a head start on Sony...Sony's launch date in Japan is November 11th, and November 17th worldwide. Now, chances are the launch of the PS3 is going to be pushed back, but God knows Nintendo has got to stop relying on chances.

Now, according to widely accepted rumors, Nintendo has told its third party developers to have their launch software ready by the end of October. If Nintendo so chooses to allow a three week head-start on Sony, which they probably will, and if they follow trend and release on a Sunday, then the obvious date will be October 22nd or the 29th. Write it in the books.