PDA

View Full Version : Using Screen Cycling to Make Custom Bosses

Freelancer
08-27-2006, 10:36 PM
Hey, did you know that with the new versions of ZC, you can make custom bosses, using screen cycling. You can even have it so they can use defensive skills, unique attacks, up to 4 weapons work on them, and you can inflict different status on them and much more.

The idea is simple, and I’ve tested it before in my KKAII and it’s really sweet: ). By the way: please don’t get angry at me if this is the wrong sub-forum, just move it please.

Read this first once before starting! As if you draw the hittable components of the boss too close together, then the character could move on another secret combo and the wrong attack would show up. For instance, if the eye (arrow) and the tail (sword) of a boss are too close together then you may experience a problem with the sword seeming to have the effect of the arrow and visa versa.

How: firstly, write down what you want to have this boss to able to do, and how the character can attack it, and what status the weapons used can inflict. Now: Make 7 new maps (or 1 and +1 per layer).

Next draw your boss on the 5th layer, and the information about the boss (life, attacks, current attack, and hints) on the 6th layer. On the 3rd and 4th layers, draw the first frame of the attack which is above the character and on the 1rst and 2nd layers, attacks under link; and the main layer for damage tiles, flags and walk/wall terrain. (TIP: At first, you may want to draw a tile under where the damage tile is (main layer) which is just a D and the amount life that will be deducted if the character is on that tile, later you can replace it with what it should look like)

Once you are done doing your first frame, move on to the next screen and draw what happens next with the attack. Then move on to your next when you are complete. Make the screens cycle, so if you don’t hit the boss when you can (which shouldn’t be all the time) then you have another chance. I would also suggest, just making this a little less complex that you make the boss hittable at the end of the attack cycle, rather than in the middle.

So next, at the hittable time in the attack cycle, we draw special tiles so that the boss looks different when hittable, and normal when not. Now, we flag the places where you hit it (i.e. arrow, sword, and bomb) and then the secret combo flags are added in. Weapon A will have secret combo 16 around its area, and sc17 will be for Weapon B and so on. For this screen the secrets disable timed warp will be turned on and sc 16 will be direct warp A, and sc17 direct warp b. If the character needs to trigger an event first before a weapon can be effective, then don’t add in the flags if it isn’t (explained later).

Export the map and the layers containing changing content (hp or status displays) and then import it to a new map. Then make it so that if the weapon A is used then it links the maps using the tile warp A and thus takes the character to the map in which hp is lowered or status is inflicted or lost. Don’t get too carried away though, since only 270-280 maps are available, and your quest could become so big in file size, that it would be impossible download. And remember that you can even have enemies cast spells on the character.

Remember to set your d-maps to dungeon and your screens to direct-timed warp. Post here if you don’t understand something or if I forget something, and good luck!