PDA

View Full Version : Nintend DS worth buying?

biggiy05
08-26-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm going in for surgery soon and I'm going to be confined to the bed and couch for a while. I've been trying to find some stuff to do while I'm at the hospital and I can only read so many books before I start finding ones I don't like. So is the DS worth buying? What about the lite? I held one in my hands today and it seems way too small for my hands since I have really big hands. What games would you suggest also?

erm2003
08-26-2006, 10:46 PM
I bought a DS Lite a month or so ago with Brain Age, New Super Mario Bros, and Mario Kart. I love it. I think I am also getting some of my other friends addicted to it as well. As a matter of fact one of them borrowed it this weekend. Anyway, I have found all three games to be a lot of fun and I definately think the investment has been worth the money so far. Not only that but if you have a wireless network you can play Mario Kart online too for a little more variety. I also went out and bought a few Game Boy Advance games as well since the DS also plays these. I now own a copy of Minish Cap, Metroid Zero Mission, and Sword of Mana. The system works great and I have been having a lot of fun with it. It gets a big thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

MottZilla
08-27-2006, 01:35 AM
There is alot to play with the DS and it's fairly cheap. Kirby Cursed Canvas, StarFox Command, Super Mario 64, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Advance Wars Dual Strike, Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow. Plus all the GBA titles. There's definitely plenty out there to keep you busy.

vegeta1215
08-27-2006, 02:22 AM
I waited quite a while to buy a DS because there weren't many good games out on it for a long time. The Mario Kart bundle presented the perfect opportunity though.

Of the games I own, I would suggest Mario Kart DS and Tetris DS to anyone, and Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time to any RPG fan. Metroid Hunters is okay, but only if you're in it for the online deathmatch - it sucks as a Metroid game. The only other games I have are Trace Memory and Lost in Blue. Trace Memory is a fun point and click adventure game, but it's short. Lost in Blue I haven't even touched in a while because I got too frustrated with it within the first hour.

I don't really like the DS Lite all that much except for it's brighter screen and bigger stylus. (although it looks nice, it's too small for me, and I don't like the new buttons and d-pad) Plus, the two people I know that own DS Lites both have dead pixels, which I was shocked to see

Modus Ponens
08-27-2006, 03:57 AM
Okay, I was excited to get the DS at first, but then lost some of my enthusiasm when all I had for it for a long time was Mario 64 DS and Polarium. However, it is crucial that you understand that I now adore my DS. Developers really seem to have started sinking their teeth into it. I just got up to count and I have 13 games. Trim out the ones that I could go without and there are still about 10 great ones, including, but not limited to, the following:

New Super Mario Bros.: It's a very large, very fun Super Mario Brothers game.
Brain Age: My brain has never felt younger.
Polarium: I didn't do much besides play this game when I first got it, and it's still fun even though I've beaten all of its built-in puzzles.
Tetris DS: Tetris...online? Against opponents across the world? I could understand it if people were to form a religion around this game.

That's four great reasons right there. Plus, there's a new Star Fox Game coming out in a few days, and further down the road, a new Zelda. (That right there would do it for me.) I hear that soon they're going to have a browser for it, too. Very nice.

Now, as for the question of DS vs. DS Lite, well, that's probably fairly tough. See, I think that comfort in holding the system is probably of tantamount value, but if you look past the fact that the Lite is potentially too small, you quickly see some greatness, and that is in that its screen really is very vibrant. It hurts my eyes to play in the dark with the brightness at maximum. If you're going to buy a new system, and its physical size isn't an issue, I'd cough up the extra bucks for the DS Lite.

So, there you go. Geez, you'd swear I work for Nintendo.

Grasshopper
08-27-2006, 01:41 PM
Now, as for the question of DS vs. DS Lite, well, that's probably fairly tough. See, I think that comfort in holding the system is probably of tantamount value, but if you look past the fact that the Lite is potentially too small, you quickly see some greatness, and that is in that its screen really is very vibrant. It hurts my eyes to play in the dark with the brightness at maximum. If you're going to buy a new system, and its physical size isn't an issue, I'd cough up the extra bucks for the DS Lite.

Touche on the screen. It is very vibrate, but on the contrary, the brighter screen isn't to play in darker area, but brighter areas. Since I hardly play my DS Lite in areas where its bright, I always leave it at the lowest setting (same as old DS).

I don't think I've sold an old DS for a few months now where I work, but from what I remember, both the DS Lite and the Nintendo DS are the same price. So its just preference. I really like the DS lite over the older style.

And depending on when you have to have surgery, you may be able to pick up Onyx or Coral Pink DS Lites. They arrive mid-September.

PS. Hey Riverman....Do you work for Nintendo? ;)

ctrl-alt-delete
08-27-2006, 09:14 PM
I would highly recommend picking up a DS. Given the choice, obviously I would go with the Lite which should be $129.99 as opposed to the regular DS which should be down to $99.99 now. People complain about the size and controls regardless, so I would not allow that to factor into your decision. I have pretty big hands(proportion, girls, proportion ;)), and I have had no problem at all adjusting. Personally, I own the bigger DS but plan on buying an Onyx black DS Lite when it launches on the 14th. Considering your condition, you may not have that choice...so I suppose Polar white it is for you.

As for the software, the DS just has some great games...not to mention the backlibrary of GBA games(which can only be played in single player with the DS, so if you are a fan of multiplayer and have a GBA, you might want to hold onto it.)

Here is a list of games that I currently own:

Animal Crossing Wild World
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow
Kirby Canvas Curse
Lunar Dragon Song
Mario & Luigi Partners in Time
Mario Kart DS
Meteos
Metroid Prime Hunters
Metroid Prime Pinball
New Super Mario Brothers
Sonic Rush
Super Mario 64 DS
Super Princess Peach

Out of those, I just purchased Castlevania, Sonic, and Metroid Prime Pinball today, so I cannot exactly recommend them personally. (Actually, I have played a lot of Pinball, and I am really enjoying it, but it seems to be a short game. I only purchased it to get the rumble pack.) Other than those three, all of the other games have been a blast to play, and have really changed the way I look at videogames forever. The level of immersion that all of the features of the DS allow you to have is fantastic, and developers have really used the potential to allow for some great ideas with the microphone, both screens, and the stylus. Of course, you cannot forget to mention the online play, which provides a whole new level of replayability to a lot of the games.

As soon as possible, I also plan on picking up:

Magnetica
Megaman Battle Network 5 Double Team
Tetris DS

List of games that I am undecided on:

Lost Magic
Nintendogs
Pac 'N Roll
Super Monkey Ball Touch & Roll
Rayman DS

Games that are going to be released before the end of the year that I plan on getting:

Castlevania Portait of Ruin
Children of Mana
Final Fantasy 3
Harvest Moon DS
Kirby Squeak Squad
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue Team
Star Fox Command
Yoshi's Island 2

There is also a slew of games, mainly RPGs, that I am interested in, but have not heard enough about to be sure of purchasing them.

There seems to be nothing but a bright future for the DS(no pun intended.) If you choose to pick one up, I am sure that you will not be disappointed.

Wow...I think that is the most I have put into a post in a while. Damn...I am so bored.

Modus Ponens
08-28-2006, 02:43 PM
I read over C-A-D's list and I agree that there are lots of great titles on there that I didn't mention. In particular, I'd like to bring further attention to a couple of the games that will be coming out soon that he mentioned and I didn't.

Children of Mana: A new mana series entry! What could be better? Ten million dollars, and no less, that's what.
Final Fantasy III: This is a complete 3-D remake of the Japanese-only FFIII for the Famicom. Even if you've played it all the way through on an emulator, it's still going to be completely novel and fun.

Regarding the screen brightness, yeah, I know brighter screen settings aren't designed for dark environments. I was just pointing out how damn bright it is. Playing in daylight was never so easy.

Hey Riverman....Do you work for Nintendo? ;)

No.

Skulkraken
08-29-2006, 06:45 AM
It can be used for more than just playing games. Opera has created an official web browser for the DS. It's available in Japan right now, and will see a UK release shortly. Based on reviews, performance is comparable to current Opera web browsers on other platforms, lack of Flash and Java support notwithstanding (it still has tabs, though only in Dual Screen mode). A version of Opera (with mouse gestures done using the controller) will also be included on all Wiis on launch.

RevKeltina
08-29-2006, 09:29 AM
Ok, stupid ? from the out-of-date folks.......

What is a Nintendo DS?? Is it a new hand-held game?? Cause I'm still back in the GameBoy era, though I have stepped far enough into our century to get the Color version! (Mine's purple)

Blessings,
RevK

biggiy05
08-29-2006, 10:38 AM
Ok, stupid ? from the out-of-date folks.......

What is a Nintendo DS?? Is it a new hand-held game?? Cause I'm still back in the GameBoy era, though I have stepped far enough into our century to get the Color version! (Mine's purple)

Blessings,
RevK

The DS is Nintendo's new hand held gaming system. First they had the DS then the DS lite which is a smaller, lighter version with a brighter screen came out.

Here (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/biggiy05/118379904_d8edf46567_b.jpg) is what the DS lite looks like.

RevKeltina
08-29-2006, 02:36 PM
LOL The DS and the DS Lite????? LOL I'll take the Lite.....twice the fun with half the calories!!!

Thanks for the update!

Blessings,
RevK