PDA

View Full Version : Free FEAR online.

Masamune
08-26-2006, 11:39 AM
This isn't a warez ad or anything. Perfectly legit.

http://www.joinfear.com/main

Fucking awesome. Thank you, Sierra. <3

War Lord
08-26-2006, 12:08 PM
I'm glad they finally did this. More people for me to kill now.
I just wish the game had sold more. The single player is very nice, such an underated game.

MottZilla
08-26-2006, 04:24 PM
I wish I had a system that could run it. That's a big part of why these high end PC games don't sell. When FEAR comes out for consoles it'll definitely outsell the PC version by quite alot. Poor PC platform is dying.

War Lord
08-26-2006, 10:54 PM
It isn't that bad.
It runs on my old PC here fine. Athlon XP 1800 I think, 512 Ram, and an old Geforce 3 TI card I believe.

That pc is about 4 or 5 years old so...

Beldaran
08-26-2006, 11:32 PM
That's a big part of why these high end PC games don't sell.

I think piracy is a bigger reason.

Poor PC platform is dying.

I don't think it's dying at all. I think it's changing roles. It used to be that awesome PC games were ported to consoles when they got popular enough, but I think we're going to see a lot more of the Halo type situation where console games get popular and get ported to PC. Even Id Software, a preeminate PC developer has said that the Xbox 360 is their primary development platform for the next cycle.

The bottom line is, PC's as gaming platforms are horribly expensive compared to consoles, so less people are going to have them. On top of that, many people who have such PC's like to pirate games.

I expect to see a lot more subscription models (World of Warcraft) and downloadable licensed material (Steam) to prevent piracy. The PC will never stop being a gaming platform because games are made on PC's and people who own nice computers (and there are many of them) are ALWAYS going to want to play games on them.

Masamune
08-27-2006, 01:27 AM
Yeah to be fair, I beat a cracked version of the game months ago. :o And then I never really had much of a reason to buy the retail version since FEAR online didn't appeal to me enough to spend 50 bucks.

MottZilla
08-27-2006, 01:27 AM
I didn't mean going extinct. I meant it's dying from it's former glory. I mean come on, back in the day games like Doom, StarCraft, Jedi Knight, etc. All where treats only for those on PCs. Now the balance of technology has shifted so much like you said, it's just too expensive and those that do invest in a high end machine are experienced users which piracy is trival for them.

Warlord, you're right, but your Video Card is FAR newer than mine, My video card is nearing 7 years old.