PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360; Is it Worth it?

Yoshiman
08-25-2006, 02:31 AM
Okay, so lately I've been contemplating whether or not I should get an Xbox 360. I've always wanted to get Halo and Ninja Gaiden, but never had an Xbox. I'd also want to get Dead Rising and Resident Evil 5 when it comes out, along with a few other games. But I still have a few questions before I'm sold on getting the system:

-Is the 360 worth the $400 price tag? or, should I just get a regular Xbox for $150 or less?

-What games for both systems are worth playing?

-Have the overheating problems been worked out? Or was this just carelessness on the owner's part?

Cloral
08-25-2006, 12:31 PM
Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure its worth the price. It is a nice system, there just aren't that many games I would say are worth getting. However, if you've got a few in mind that you want to play, then that might make it worthwhile. I've got about 6 games for it, but in the end I usually just play Halo 2 on it - which I could've gotten a normal XBox for. The system itself is pretty well-designed - the interface to Live is laid out well, the pop-up messages (i.e. 'friend x has just signed in') are useful, and the wireless controller and headset are easy to use. I really like the controllers. They feel perfect in my hands, and even with the battery pack they really aren't that heavy.

I haven't had any problems with overheating. As long as you put it in a well-ventalated spot you'll probably be ok. I have the brick (the power supply, which is about the size and weight of a brick) on the hard flat surface of the back of my entertainment center, with one end of it slightly propped up by a cord. That way, it gets plenty of air to keep it cool.

PS:
If you do get a 360, send a friend invite to Da Phire and we can play some Halo or something.

zeldafan500
08-25-2006, 01:43 PM
You should wait for the nintendo revolution to come out. It's gonna be WAY better than the Xbox 360 or PS3.

Warlock
08-25-2006, 02:11 PM
Wait for a 360 price drop this November. It's pretty much inevitable.

I think if you want those regular Xbox games, it's definately worth getting a 360 over a regular Xbox because you can only do so much with the Xbox. The library won't be growing any larger, so you might as well shell out an extra $100 (after price drop) and get the better system with more games (that can still play the old ones).

Of course, you should double check the games you want are compatible since 360 doesn't play all Xbox games. I'm sure it'll play Ninja Gaiden and Halo (they would be crazy not to support those) but anything else you want you should double check first.

MottZilla
08-25-2006, 03:06 PM
At this point don't waste your money on an original Xbox. Atleast don't buy one for more than 50$. From the sounds of what games you want you should get a 360. Halo and Ninja Gaiden as well as Ninja Gaiden Black work on the 360 very well. I just advise before you buy the 360 that you take a look at some upcoming games for all the new platforms and make your choice according to your tastes. I for one am also waiting on Resident Evil 5. I'm also waiting to see Gears of War, Fable 2, Lost Planet.

I don't know of much original Xbox that was really worth playing that wasn't on another system already. And not all are compatible with 360, like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 isn't. Pretty much any Capcom Xbox game doesn't work on 360.

For 360 I recommend you check out Perfect Dark Zero, Full Auto, Gears of War (not out yet, Nov. 7th I think), Dead Rising, Blazing Angels. The best thing is most games have free downloadable demos through the free Xbox Live Silver Membership.

Overheating problems were likely 99% of the time user error. However even if that were the case, people that got so called second generation 360 units don't generally have any problems. I have one of those, and overheating has never been an issue even over very extended play sessions. Just be sure that there is good ventilation as alot of air moves out the back of the 360. Also make sure the power supply brick is also breathing well.

Some people seem to not realize high end technology can't be cramped back in some shelf with the power supply on the carpet.

I certainly think buying my 360 was worth it. I've spent alot of time playing it, despite that I actually own 3 games so far. And I'll be ready whenever newer games come along. Ofcourse I was weary of the 400$ price tag, plus other items which made it like a 600$+ purchase. But I'd say I've been enjoying it enough to justify the cost. So just keep that in mind, is it worth the cost to you. One big factor will probably be wether you use Xbox Live to play games online. I know I wouldn't play my 360 near as much if I hadn't gotten the free trial of Xbox Live Gold (Gold = You Can Play Games Online, Silver = Everything but Play Online). After my trial ended I paid the 50 bucks for a year of XBL. Definitely worth it.

Oh ya and Warlock, they've already said they don't intend to cut the price this holiday season. If anything there might be some special bundle offers. Any price cut would at most be like 20$. And zeldafan500, your comment was as useless as every other generic Nintendo fanboy. You can say Wii is going to be better but you just leave it unsupported. That makes you an ubber fanboy. You should atleast say WHY you think that, and you should realize other people have different opinions. Yoshiman already said he was interested in Dead Rising and other 360 titles. Why do you think all a sudden he'd want to hear about Wii?

Warlock
08-25-2006, 03:45 PM
Oh ya and Warlock, they've already said they don't intend to cut the price this holiday season. If anything there might be some special bundle offers. Any price cut would at most be like 20$. And zeldafan500, your comment was as useless as every other generic Nintendo fanboy. You can say Wii is going to be better but you just leave it unsupported. That makes you an ubber fanboy. You should atleast say WHY you think that, and you should realize other people have different opinions. Yoshiman already said he was interested in Dead Rising and other 360 titles. Why do you think all a sudden he'd want to hear about Wii?

Really? I thought it was pretty certain they were gonna do it (to combat Wii and PS3 coming out). That's a shame.

And yeah, I agree. I think Wii will be better (in terms of the games), but I won't discount that 360 also has some cool looking games - actually so far more than I saw on the original Xbox (Dead Rising looks really fun). If he wants to get an Xbox, let him get an Xbox :P

Orion
08-25-2006, 03:53 PM
Everyone else has pretty much covered it, but I'll tell you about my experience. I bought the $400 unit when Oblivion came out, and I became bored to tears with the game, so I sold it. None of the games that are out for the console now really interest me enough to spend $60 on, but there are some good looking ones coming out in the next year or so (Halo, Fable 2, Too Human, and maybe a few others). I've been playing a lot of original XBox games like Fable and Halo, and I'm liking those. But my favorite part about the system is that you can download demos of games to try before you buy. I've played Perfect Dark, Table Tennis, and a few others, and decided they weren't for me, but at least it's something to play. PLus, a few of the games like Perfect Dark are only like $30 brand new now.

Either way, my room mate is buying it from me now, which is awesome. It's not by any means a bad console, especially if you take care of it like Mott said. It just depends on the games you want to play and how long you want to wait for the blockbusters to come out.

Cloral
08-25-2006, 06:04 PM
Don't forget the arcade. I haven't spent much time there, but a lot of people I know do. There's already a wide selection of games there, and they're adding even more with the addition of tabletop-style games. So that's another area you might want to consider.
Once Halo 3 comes out next year this will definately be a good system to have.

Yoshiman
08-25-2006, 08:11 PM
Awesome. Thanks for answering my questions :).

I suppose that as long as I don't keep the system crammed way in the back of my entertainment stand with a ton of cords and crap blocking the air vents, I should be okay, right? And I could even suspend the power brick if I wanted.
I think all the horror stories (which probably came from mostly Nintendo and Sony fanboys) of the 360s overheating got to me.

And after looking through a few sites, I've found a couple more 360 games that interest me as well. The ability to download demos sounds like a great idea.

You should wait for the nintendo revolution to come out. It's gonna be WAY better than the Xbox 360 or PS3.
I didn't say I was going to stick with just an Xbox 360. I do plan to get a Wii a few months after it comes out (unless it somehow suffers the same fate as the Virtual Boy). I do like to play games like Halo and Resident Evil, but I also like to get Mario and Zelda in there. Hell, even Kirby (Superstar rocked).
That's why I dropped most of my fanboyism. I'd rather support several fun games than a single company. ;)

zeldafan500
08-25-2006, 08:15 PM
And zeldafan500, your comment was as useless as every other generic Nintendo fanboy. You can say Wii is going to be better but you just leave it unsupported. That makes you an ubber fanboy. You should atleast say WHY you think that, and you should realize other people have different opinions. Yoshiman already said he was interested in Dead Rising and other 360 titles. Why do you think all a sudden he'd want to hear about Wii?

Ok, I'll tell you why I would buy the wii. Sorry I left it unsupported. Well, for one, I've always liked nintendo, seince the NES came out with super mario bros. I think nintendo makes there games better. Like ocarina of time for example. It has a great storyline, good control, and uncountible secrets. Nintendo makes games with real depth and good gameplay, and I think the other componeys focus on the graphics so much the games are boring and have no real depth. And the online play will be very improved from the other componeys online play services. Nintendos online services for playing games will be 100% free. That is one major price difference. Now I could go on and on with this but you get my point. But this is just my opinion and you can buy whatever system you want.

Warlock
08-25-2006, 08:22 PM
That's why I dropped most of my fanboyism. I'd rather support several fun games than a single company. ;)

Ditto. I still think Nintendo gets most of the games I love to play, but the other systems get some pretty awesome games too. No sense in limiting yourself over some stupid bias against the system makers :P

Cloral
08-25-2006, 09:12 PM
I do like to play games like Halo and Resident Evil, but I also like to get Mario and Zelda in there. Hell, even Kirby (Superstar rocked).

A lot of people can't seem to get over how cutsey Kirby games look, but they are always frigging sweet. Even if they are a bit on the easy side.

And what you say is exactly right. Really fun games are hard enough to come by these days, so why limit which ones you'll consider? Best to be open to all of them.

zeldafan500
08-25-2006, 09:30 PM
And what you say is exactly right. Really fun games are hard enough to come by these days, so why limit which ones you'll consider? Best to be open to all of them.

I dunno, It's just something about nintendo that makes me see it as superior to all other game componeys.

MottZilla
08-26-2006, 03:38 AM
Nintendo makes games with real depth and good gameplay, and I think the other componeys focus on the graphics so much the games are boring and have no real depth. And the online play will be very improved from the other componeys online play services. Nintendos online services for playing games will be 100% free. That is one major price difference.

Now I agree, Nintendo does usually make quality games. However if you look beyond them you will realize many other development houses make equally or better quality games. Graphics are a part of the experience as well. Also, unless you've experienced Xbox Live yourself, you can not comment on how it is, where as I have. Xbox Live will easily be much nicer than Wii or PS3's online service. No one can deny Microsoft handles such networking and other related tasks excellent. Also, sure Nintendo's online service might be free, but Xbox Live is only 50$ a year, that's like 4.10$ a month. You can't tell me that's expensive. So no that's a minor price difference really.

You should be more open to non-Nintendo related offerings.

The Destroyed
08-26-2006, 05:51 AM
Yoshiman, I would get the 360. Me and my cousin played Dead Rising all summer, and it was great. The Ping Pong game from Rockstar was also amazing. Its simple to play, and really fun. If you can shove a shower head onto a zombie and watch the blood flow from it, I would buy that game soon. For the Wii, I would wait about a month, to see how well the sales are doing, and the games it has. If none catch your eye, dont buy it if your not going to enjoy it. I first disliked the 360, I only wanted to get the Wii. Now that I have played it, I would love to have both.

Im not so sure about the PS3. The price is very high, and it doesnt seem like many new features in stock for it. I guess I will have to play it, to see what its like.

MottZilla
08-26-2006, 04:28 PM
Well I intend to own all 3, the question is just when and why. Last generation I went Sega, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft. This time I'm starting at Microsoft, but I really think Sony will be at the end this time with Nintendo in the middle, but that's all subject to change. Like you said, we will see what it's really like after the hype. It's always bad to make your decision off hype.

zeldafan500
08-26-2006, 04:57 PM
I'm going to get the new zelda game coming out (twilight princess). That's the main reason I'm getting it. Along with the new mario game and pokemon battle revolution. (yes I still like pokremon)

MottZilla
08-27-2006, 01:21 AM
There's nothing wrong with Pokemon other than the 9 billion versions of the same game being far to similar. Ex: Pokemon Green, Blue, Red, and Yellow.

Grasshopper
08-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Pokemon could easily be turned into an MMO. Pokemon is practically built around the MMO idea, it just isn't.

But back on topic.

I've heard Dead Rising was really good. (I think that was said already)

zeldafan500
08-27-2006, 04:10 PM
What's MMO?

Kingboo30
08-27-2006, 06:09 PM
And the online play will be very improved from the other componeys online play services.

Sure it will. After what we've seen from Nintendo Wifi, you would be extremely lucky to get 4 people on a match and that the people who use it love to disconnect. The slogon should be "There's always someone ready to disconnect." not, "There's always someone ready to play.". They could at least set up member system where you don't have to pay to go online and a member system where you do have to pay go online. It would at least help the server. Unless they really are getting better servers, don't count on it. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to the Wii the most as PS3 is looking horrible. Sony is acting how Nintendo and Sega acted in 1996. "They'll buy it because we rule."

ocarina of time for example. It has a great storyline, good control, and uncountible secrets

The storyline is great? Tell me, have you ever played Lttp? That was original and had depth. Too bad the instruction manual told more than the game which is disappointing. OoT story almost the same exact thing as Lttp. Collect 3 elements, get master sword. Become older, get 5 medals and beat Ganondorf. Sound familiar? Yes, it is almost the same thing as Lttp minus the 8 certain medals. It had just has many secrets as most great games. The biggoron sword was a fetch quest. Go play Final Fantasy for great ingame story lines where as the instruction manual for Zelda games usually tell the story mainly through manuals. At least the good parts that aren't, "Go get 3 of these.....get Master sword....oops, get 5 of these...get Ganon!"

What's MMO?
How could you have not heard of World of Warcraft? MMOs are usually online RPGS.

Go look at WoW. (World of Warcraft.) It's a popular RPG where the main game is played online. That is what a MMO is. Like said before, Pokemon would be perfect for RPGS as Pokemon has NO story at all and as you battling other people/gym leaders, groups, and wild pokemon.....how could you be suggesting Wii over 360 blantantly when you have almost no idea of the 360s best games? (Oblivion is popular too but not like WoW where those people speak 1337.) I have no idea why Gamefreak hasn't even thought about it with the shit it gets. I believe Gamefreak can make a very good MMO. Probably with the young fanbase it is aimed for and that you are talking to other people.....bah. I would so buy that.

There's nothing wrong with Pokemon other than the 9 billion versions of the same game being far to similar. Ex: Pokemon Green, Blue, Red, and Yellow.

Yes there is. As a fan of the series, I believe it is going downhill. It gets good games once every 2/3 years. It become too popular to the point that Channel, Dash, I see you pikachu!, even exist. It should a franchise that should count on battling and be in the RPG genre and not racing and sim. The cube games had something going for them. Genius Sonority ruined them and lied to us saying that XD would not be a sequel to Colliseum....or that they let Reggie say that because Colliseum was very disappointing to most fans. Please tell me that you don't enjoy watching pokemon TV. I bought Dash for 1$. (Some old lady selling it at a Tag sale.) I played it for several minutes and I regret buying it over a coke. At selling it for 15$ gave me a 14$ profit. I'll give them credit that Pokemon sells because of its name.

...Ah forgot something. I'm intending to go with the Wii first and then check on the 360 to see if it would appeal to me. I don't like how Sony used it's ties to Fox news to make rumors and lies about the 360 when it came out and then treat us like shit making a bunch of shit up about the others, stealing ideas from Nintendo 24/7 making poorly remodel verisons and even saying out loud that, "The customers will buy it regardless weather it has any games or not." What does that tell you about the company who purposely makes faulty systems at launch, without letting you get your money back for a system that has DREs constantly so that you will have to buy another? Let's not mention those batch of Sony batteries that can turn Dell Notebooks into exploding mines eh? Let's not mention that they came with the notebooks in the first place. <_<. Hmph, to think I once bought their products too. Pretty soon, they'll make batteries than make atomic explosions when putting them into a Nintendo product.

zeldafan500
08-27-2006, 06:27 PM
The storyline is great? Tell me, have you ever played Lttp? That was original and had depth. Too bad the instruction manual told more than the game which is disappointing. OoT story almost the same exact thing as Lttp. Collect 3 elements, get master sword. Become older, get 5 medals and beat Ganondorf.

I have a link to the past, though I'm still on the last level where you get the last medallian. A link to the past isn't nearly as good of ocarina of time.
And pokemon collisiam is alot better than XD. For once they actually made the guy look cool. And I agre: sony is just copying nintendo. The PSP is just a knockoff of gameboy, really. Ever heard of a game they make callled crash bandicoot? They completely copied the ? block in it. (from mario)(I know; I played them when I was younger)

Kingboo30
08-27-2006, 09:42 PM
I have a link to the past, though I'm still on the last level where you get the last medallian. A link to the past isn't nearly as good of ocarina of time.
And pokemon collisiam is alot better than XD. For once they actually made the guy look cool. And I agre: sony is just copying nintendo. The PSP is just a knockoff of gameboy, really. Ever heard of a game they make callled crash bandicoot? They completely copied the ? block in it. (from mario)(I know; I played them when I was younger)

The fact that the cube games reuse graphics from stadium and that they are rather short makes them below average. Sony made the PSP to compete with the dominating GBA. Nintendo saw this and countered Sony's counter with the DS and the DS sold much more and became much more popular than expected. It's called competion. Everyone is in for the money but Sony is a dirty competitor with dirty tatics. But Sony is currently getting most of it's money from the VG industry. Their movie department isn't too great.
.........About Crash Bandicoot, I liked him during the PS1 age, however ? aren't copys as Mario did not come up with boxes with ?s so that isn't stealing. Crash is mostly original and was therefore fun.....for a time. I still suggest you to not give out answers like you did on your first post as that will not help.

vegeta1215
08-28-2006, 02:25 AM
This thread was titled "Xbox 360, is it worth it?" the last time I checked. Get back on topic please.

The Destroyed
08-28-2006, 07:42 AM

Bullshit.

The 360 doesnt have a very large selection of games, but the ones they have a really fun. Ill name a few that are really good.

Table Tennis
NFS: Most Wanted
Dead Rising
Dead or Alive 4
TES: Oblivion
PD: Zero
Gun (Not really a 360 title, but still fun to play on it)

Those are the ones that are great to play. Be sure to include Xbox titles also. Try Table Tennis on Live, its so awesome. There is my selection of games. Only some though.

Archibaldo
08-28-2006, 10:22 AM
At first I was planning on getting the Wii. But now a days most of the video game industry is about playing against other people. Online or multiplayer. Sure playing single player can be fun. But it only goes so far. After a while, you'll get bored. That's where the online play comes in.

You have to look and predict how popular each console will be for the best online experience. I'm sure that most people will have the 360. Then the Ps3 and the Wii in that order. With most people having a 360, the odds of finding someone to play against on the net will be much better than finding some one on the Wii. It's all about being better than every one else, and the best way to do that is play against everyone else.

I'm going to go with the 360 personally. Sure I love Nintendo and all. But I'm not rich so I can only get one console and I want one that seems to be the best investment. Plus some of the games look really fun.

MottZilla
08-28-2006, 03:56 PM
The 360 doesnt have a very large selection of games, but the ones they have a really fun. Ill name a few that are really good.

Don't you believe though that the amount of titles out while not many is understandable considering how young the system is? And you cannot compare it from the previous generation because of the increased time and effort it takes to make these games compared to back then.