PDA

View Full Version : Some thoughts on Items

Tygore
08-24-2006, 03:26 PM
1. Quest Rule: Link Din's Fire to Candle. This would make Din's Fire act as the third level Candle, replacing it in the subscreen. An alternate option would be make a "Current Item" type "Candle/Din's Fire", much like how the default is "Letter/Potion".

2. Seperatable Item Tiers: the ability to, despite having picked up an item upgrade, be able to select the lesser value. This would also most likely be a subscreen option. The advantage I can think of this is the ability to use old arrows and have the upgrades use magic, a la OoT.

3. Multiple Potions. What I would do is have the current Potion be designated as "A", then have "B" "C" and "D" (or more, if you felt like it). The first Potion you get would go to slot A. If you get another (and the potions can't combine), it goes to slot B, etc. Also, a third level Potion would be nice. By default it would be used and then drop to the second level, obviously with the option of its downgrade rule (or the current rule changed to something more general, such as "Potions don't downgrade"). The third opens up the possibility for the Red/Green/Blue trio we've seen since ALttP.

4. Healing Medallion/Spell/Scroll/Whatever. Heals at the cost of a good chunk of Magic.

5. Have the book effect other spells, such as a longer-lasting Din's Fire & Nayru's Love. For the more detailed-oriented, maybe give the option of seperate Books for each Magic item. Another idea: have the Book act within suggestion #2, with the w/out Book option costing less Magic (and doing less damage/lasting less time/whatever other additional effects may be come up with).

6. Screen Flag: Lens Distorts Reality. Secret Flags 16-31 are active while viewed through the Lens of Truth.

7. Farore's Wind flags. Much like Whistle flags, would not cause warping (or would link to one of the side warps) and instead trigger secret flags.

8. More "Uses Magic" Options. Why not?

Rakki
08-25-2006, 04:43 AM
All ideas I like. :D Speaking of the Lens though, I'd also like to see the option of seeing through it like in OoT, etc. You know, instead of showing black around a normal circle which reveals secrets, a red circle reveals secrets while outside of the red circle looks completely normal. Of course, it might be hard for the ZC engine to pull off displaying and NOT displaying secrets at the same time, so, if so, then I'd rather see the ability to show secret combos 16-31 first.

_L_
08-25-2006, 05:07 AM
2. Seperatable Item Tiers: the ability to, despite having picked up an item upgrade, be able to select the lesser value. This would also most likely be a subscreen option. The advantage I can think of this is the ability to use old arrows and have the upgrades use magic, a la OoT.Also, my Setting wooden arrows alight (http://www.armageddongames.net/showthread.php?t=92783) suggestion.

4. Healing Medallion/Spell/Scroll/Whatever. Heals at the cost of a good chunk of Magic.Better make it a Spell, for the Zelda 2 reference. As for the icon...

Another idea: have the Book act within suggestion #2, with the w/out Book option costing less Magic (and doing less damage/lasting less time/whatever other additional effects may be come up with).
I think more books would be great when implemented as modifiers to the wand. How about...
* Change the current book to "Book of Fire".
* Make a "Book of Ice" instead of an Ice Rod.
* A "Book of Byrna" as an alternative to the Cane?

8. More "Uses Magic" Options. Why not?
* "Fire Boomerang uses magic." Becomes the L2 Boomerang when you have no magic.
* "Silver Arrows use magic."
* "Golden Arrows use magic."
* "Sword Beams use magic." Hmm...

bigjoe
08-25-2006, 11:44 AM
8. More "Uses Magic" Options.

Instead of simply specifying which items use magic, how about specifying how much magic the items use as well?

redmage777
08-25-2006, 07:27 PM
I think there should be a Quest rule allowing the Quest Maker to choose to have Fire/Ice Arrows. Fire/Ice Rod, Fire/Ice Book.

Arrows Cost 1 Arrow + Magic. (Oot Style)
Rods can be used as is once obtained. (LttP Style)
Books Require the player to have the wand as well. (Psudo-Classic Style)

With these options, any of the Traditional Zelda Fire/Ice rules can work in any given quest rather then forcing one set of rules on all Quests.

Another Idea I have is a Quest Rule that allows the Clock to be a "B" Item that uses magic.

Tygore
08-27-2006, 06:58 PM
Another Idea I have is a Quest Rule that allows the Clock to be a "B" Item that uses magic.

Nayru's Love?