PDA

View Full Version : Quit with the "Only Custom Midis" plan?

ShadowTiger
08-24-2006, 02:15 PM
Just curious: Until now, I was very concerned with only using midis that THIS COMMUNITY has created, but I'm not sure how you all feel about that. I wanted to avoid any potential chance of seeing "Hey! You used my midi without my permission!" Know what I mean?

So I want to hear your thoughts about it.

KJAZZ
08-24-2006, 02:40 PM
I think you guys should just use whatever midis you want, and not have to restrict yourselves on what you can and can't do. You'd have to ask the composers of the midis of course, but that's not really an issue, I think.

Tygore
08-24-2006, 03:27 PM
It's not like the default 1st quest uses original content. If nothing else, use Zelda music. Find/make some interesting MIDI remixes that haven't been overused.

ZTC
08-24-2006, 04:04 PM
as it's already been said before, just ask
I really don't forsee someone say no, and it's possible that they'd like the idea of their midi(s) being used for a game :shrug:

Shazza Dani
08-24-2006, 04:05 PM
I like the idea of using the community's work. I doubt there'd be any accusations of stealing if their work is already released to the public.

migokalle
08-24-2006, 04:22 PM
if you mean changing the submitt only your own midi's! then i agree! you should be able to submit every midi you want...

_L_
08-25-2006, 02:27 AM
Sources in which I'd be happy for NeoFirst to glean MIDIs:
* AGN Community
* Public domain
* Official Zelda games (as long as they sound new. Maybe get someone to play with SPC2MIDI and NSF2MIDI?)

Sources in which I'd not be happy for NeoFirst to glean MIDIs:
* Non-Zelda copyrighted anything

That is all. So, basically what Tygore said.

We're already appropriating one franchise's IP, so I don't think we should start picking from other IPs. At least, not for a part of the official Zelda Classic release.

ShadowTiger
08-25-2006, 09:46 AM
So basically, we can use any Zelda midis that are on VGMusic? ... I hope I didn't misread anything ...

_L_
08-25-2006, 11:15 AM
Well to tell the truth, I'd be quite peeved if we used tracks which had a highly specific and meaningful context in their original games. Like "Ballad of the Wind Fish". Or most of the tracks in Majora's Mask.

But otherwise, yeah. As long as they "fit in" with the current music we've got in it.

Though don't forget: to re-use music for a particular area is to dilute the perceived significance of that area. Important cutscenes, the Triforce dungeons, the final boss and whatnot definitely merit original music. But if it's just a Heart Piece cave or a miniboss then yeah.