View Full Version : fast loading of zelda classic?

Nicholas Steel
08-21-2006, 10:15 PM
once a quest has loaded... all neccessary stuff for it when you open zquest should be stored in a cache so that it reads that everytime you want to play instead of the whole file everytime... and if you load another quest it just appends the info into the cache. removal of a quest results in the appropriate parts of the cache being removed and repackaged...

i had it thought out better before i went to bed but this will have to do.

Dark Nation
08-22-2006, 11:25 AM
huh?

Pineconn
08-22-2006, 03:24 PM
Yeah, I agree with DN on that one. I read that several times and I comprehend it differently every time.

So you want to be able to quickly load a quest? Or something like that? :eyebrow:

Nicholas Steel
08-22-2006, 08:52 PM
once a quest has loaded... all neccessary stuff for it when you open zelda-w should be stored in a cache so that it reads that everytime the quest selection screen is first loaded (thus no need to read whole quest files... only parts of each quest resulting in faster speed)... and if you load another quest it just appends the info into the cache. removal of a quest results in the appropriate parts of the cache being removed and repackaged.

-----

sorry fixed a mistake and... does this make more sense? the reason for this is that when the next version of ZC is perfected then there will be a lot more quests which solely use 8-bit tiles thus resulting in much bigger quest files and much longer time to decrypt the whole quest... where as with a cache it only reads and decrypt a select part of each quest which is stored in a cache file.

(reread the first paragraph then the second one)

upon initial loading of zelda-w all related info required from quests to show the quest selection screen should be stored in a cache file... this ensures a smaller initial loading time... which is really noticible for people who have lots of quests loaded.

Exdeath
08-23-2006, 02:55 AM
This still mostly makes no sense, unless you still have a 486 (or a celeron heh). Seriously, I've never fired up Zelda Classic and wondered "gee, I wish the quest would load faster than a split second. Not trying to be mean, I honestly don't see the point.

Nicholas Steel
08-23-2006, 06:04 AM
exdeath is talking about loading a individual quest... i am talking about having 50 loaded, quit zelda-w, re-open zelda-w, wait a couple min, then it opens and takes it to the quest selection...

my suggestion reduces the time it takes to get to the quest selection in the first place.

Dark Nation
08-23-2006, 07:55 AM
You mean save slots? You can only have 15 slots, so loading time shouldn't be that bad. Am I missing something else?

Exdeath
08-24-2006, 12:27 AM
I was thinking the same thing.

Nicholas Steel
08-24-2006, 01:44 AM
kk... well then it was only a unclear suggestion... so no needs to worry anymore.