PDA

View Full Version : Who needs Roc's Feather when you've got Jump Tiles?

_L_
08-21-2006, 07:37 AM
Today I've made a new FFC script creation that will amuse and amaze!
I've bundled it into the example dungeon I mentioned in another topic (http://www.greyfire.org/~l/revolution.zip)

Head south of the start room. Walk on the feather tile to make Link jump! (Albeit slowly).

Notes:
* What actually happens is this:
- Link is moved to a concealed yet walkable location.
- The Jumping Link FFCs are placed where Link was.
- While Jumping Link is animating, a routine "fishes" the player's movement keystrokes from Link and applies them to Jumping Link.
- When Jumping Link finishes animating, he is removed and Link's position is restored.
Of course, one problem is that at the moment Jumping Link can jump over everything. Until the FFC scripting system has a better way of identifying room combos than the "cd###" argument, this'll have to do.
* I only made 1 set of "Jumping Link" combos, so for now Link can only face right while jumping.
* Sometimes half of Jumping Link's sprite may animate out of synch with the other half. This is because combos won't cycle unless they have 2 frames of animation, and so I... well, just check out the quest file.
* The actual code is in ffc020.txt (controls the jump tile), ffc021.txt (controls half of the jumping Link sprite) and ffc022.txt (controls the other half of the jumping Link sprite.)

P.S - I still don't see what's so hard about the Feather.

The_Amaster
08-21-2006, 09:29 AM
So...This link can jump over even No-Fly Zone combos?

Dlbrooks33
08-21-2006, 10:32 AM
that was freakin sweet

Dart Zaidyer
08-21-2006, 01:10 PM
This is a neat trick. It's a little easy to get stuck in a solid object, though.
Could this be adapted to only work one way, such as making Link jump off a cliff or a one-way trampoline?

Pineconn
08-21-2006, 04:01 PM
Wow. That was absolutely amazing. Seriously. :thumbsup:

Dlbrooks33
08-21-2006, 05:09 PM
I'd still rather see the feather so you aren't limited to tiles

Tygore
08-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Sounds nice, I'll take your word for it that it works. This sounds a lot like the 3D Zeldas, where Link jumps automatically over certain areas.

beefster09
08-21-2006, 06:21 PM
Nice for mountains where you jump off them.

I can imagine that the item editor (when it comes out...)will have presets and scripts. Then, you could do this sort of thing with an item.(You would use the same kind of script as with FFCs.)

Master_of_Power
08-21-2006, 08:42 PM
so... This means... you can have jumping in sidescroll quests? or is it a bit harder to manage than that?

Pineconn
08-21-2006, 10:48 PM
Well, right now, we can't jump at will, like with the press of a button. We're limited to a tile.

Master_of_Power
08-22-2006, 09:52 AM
I knew that, but are there enough freeform combos to have, say, 16 jumping spaces on a screen?

jman2050
08-22-2006, 11:23 AM
If you can adapt the jumping script so that it does the same thing no matter which jumping surface you start off of, it should e fine. Also note that the area of effect doesn't have to e 16x16 pixels. You can easily make it 16x128 pixels if you so please.

_L_
08-22-2006, 12:45 PM
so... This means... you can have jumping in sidescroll quests? or is it a bit harder to manage than that?
It is possible, but until the next beta the implementation of gravity in sidescrolling areas is impractical.

Shoelace
08-22-2006, 04:24 PM
Dude, you are amazing. This Revolution quest was beyond awesome. I didn't know FFC scripts could do that. Now, I want to learn how to do them, since I love making puzzles. And these were just awesome, and gave me huge ideas.

Though jman, you will have to make it so there could be more then 255 scripts.

bigjoe
08-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Hey! I was going to do rotating fireballs! Oh well...

_L_
08-23-2006, 01:49 AM
Though jman, you will have to make it so there could be more then 255 scripts.
Either that, or we learn how to make most of our scripts extremely modular.