PDA

View Full Version : FF: Dirge of Cerberus

Warlock
08-20-2006, 09:36 PM
I just picked this up today. Pretty damn fun. The control could be a lot better, but the game is pretty fun so far. In regards to the control, I think the problem is the right analog stick. That one has always sucked, and the game uses it for both aiming and camera control (there is no real auto-camera like most games which is an issue). It also uses R3 (pressing down the right analog) for sniper mode, which is annoying because it's sometimes accidentally triggered. My only other issue is that load times are horrible. There is a lot of story and in-game cutscenes, and everytime these come up, there is about a 30 second load which is annoying.

Other than that though, it's a lot of fun. I picked up the PS2 component cable at the same time and the game looks freaking amazing on my tv. Esp. the FMVs which look extremely good (though I suppose they are FMVs based off Advent Children design/CGI - they should look good :D)

MottZilla
08-20-2006, 11:57 PM
Apparently the Japanese version had support for the HardDrive to speed up loading times. I dunno about the US version. Also they say the japanese version had a multiplayer mode.

Anyway, Warlock, if you have the FAT PS2 (not the Slimline), you just need a network Adapter and a spare HD, you could use a program called HDLoader to run the game off a harddisk with FAR shorter loading times. It makes so many PS2 game loading times alot less annoying.

Masamune
08-21-2006, 10:06 AM
Yeah. The latest version of HDLoader supports the US Dirge of Cerberus. Now I just need to get my old 80 gig off my friend and start taking advantage of it.

Warlock
08-21-2006, 04:17 PM
Apparently the Japanese version had support for the HardDrive to speed up loading times. I dunno about the US version. Also they say the japanese version had a multiplayer mode.

Anyway, Warlock, if you have the FAT PS2 (not the Slimline), you just need a network Adapter and a spare HD, you could use a program called HDLoader to run the game off a harddisk with FAR shorter loading times. It makes so many PS2 game loading times alot less annoying.

Yeah I was looking at a "differences" FAQ and I believe you're right. The Japanese version has online play, but the problem was you needed the hard drive to download the PlayOnline software to. I guess they took this out of the US version because frankly, you'll just be sitting there waiting to play against the what, 5 other people who have a PS2 hard drive and this game? I also heard online mode wasn't that hot, and instead we got some extra "bonus missions". Which I'd rather have (PS2 has shitty online support anyways).

BTW, running this in component on a huge 50" flat screen really makes me realize how absolutely shitty PS2's graphics are. Here Square has made these gorgeous models (basically low-poly versions of the Advent Children stuff) and they look like absolute ass because there is no anti-aliasing. Nice job Sony -_-

MottZilla
08-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Ya you see Composite video blurrs the image quality making the horrid jaggyness and such not as visible. But sharper image connections like Svideo, VGA, or Component show off the uglyness. Now if you ran a DreamCast game, you wouldn't be as horrified as it did have AA. Both PS1 and PS2 and now PSP all have some major flaws in them. It's a trend Sony has going and they are keeping the tradition going with PS3.

Warlock
08-22-2006, 10:31 AM
Ya you see Composite video blurrs the image quality making the horrid jaggyness and such not as visible. But sharper image connections like Svideo, VGA, or Component show off the uglyness. Now if you ran a DreamCast game, you wouldn't be as horrified as it did have AA. Both PS1 and PS2 and now PSP all have some major flaws in them. It's a trend Sony has going and they are keeping the tradition going with PS3.

Yeah Sony better put AA in the PS3. I *will* get one, partially just because I can hook the thing up to my HDMI port and get some kickass picture with that.

MottZilla
08-22-2006, 03:50 PM
We already know PS3 has AA. The video should be just fine because they let the pros do it and not themselves the amatuers. NVidia made the graphics core and it should stand up well. HDMI as I understand is just mainly digital rather than analog and it support 1080p. That really doesn't make a serious difference unless you have some 50" TV. 720P will look just as nice.

Warlock
08-22-2006, 05:22 PM
We already know PS3 has AA. The video should be just fine because they let the pros do it and not themselves the amatuers. NVidia made the graphics core and it should stand up well. HDMI as I understand is just mainly digital rather than analog and it support 1080p. That really doesn't make a serious difference unless you have some 50" TV. 720P will look just as nice.

I do have a 50" TV :P

MottZilla
08-22-2006, 09:21 PM
Well then ya I guess digital opposed to analog might be visible for you. ;p You and the 12 other people with 50" HDTVs with HDMI. ;p

Warlock
08-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Well then ya I guess digital opposed to analog might be visible for you. ;p You and the 12 other people with 50" HDTVs with HDMI. ;p

:D

You should see my dvd player with upconvert. Honestly, I don't see what the fuss about hd-dvds/blu-ray is when looking at that. It looks fucking amazing, and any quality boost those would offer would have to be miniscule at best.

MottZilla
08-23-2006, 03:22 PM
Well you realize the movie film holds much more detail than the DVD at 720x480. The next limitation is the DVD can only have so high of a bitrate because of size limitations and bitrate must be at a certain level to maintain a good encoding. Ofcourse when movies are mastered they ussually do pretty well with it, there is detail lost I'm sure. Besides the detail lost from the 720x480 resolution.

But you know unless it's a movie with the most awesome visuals ever, "HD" doesn't matter. Also, upscaling doesn't add detail, it's just some algorithim trying to take the low resolution image and make it look shiney. No new detail is added, you're just changing the actual image of the movie. I've never seen devices doing that upscaling but then again I don't really care. DVDs are fine as they are plus I don't have a HD set yet.