PDA

View Full Version : If you still haven't grasped the power of FFC scripts...

_L_
08-19-2006, 11:33 PM
...then check out this short example dungeon I wrote: http://69.25.196.251/~l/revolution.zip

Every room contains a unique scripted FFC, and sometimes more. The point is to illustrate how FFC scripts can be used to make everything from cutscenes to custom enemies to new puzzle elements.

The zip contains the unlocked quest file and all of the FFC script text files used in it. Also, the dungeon music used is "Revolutionary" by Chopin.

ShadowTiger
08-20-2006, 12:38 AM

Just FYI,

this is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Seriously. _L_, you've outdone yourself. ;) :thumbsup: It's simply beyond impressive in terms of fan creations. It was a surprise at every turn.

(Man, I really wanted that heart container.)

jman2050
08-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Holy

Freaking

Crap

That is all I have to say

*b*
08-20-2006, 01:08 AM
Majorly impressive, man. Quite well done

The_Amaster
08-20-2006, 01:13 AM
Wow.....

That makes a great tutorial thingy for those like me with no idea what their doing. Very very nice.

Freedom
08-20-2006, 01:35 AM
Ya, that was a cool little play through.
I'm looking forward to setting down and learning this new revolution Jman whipped together, sadly it's going to be a while for me.
Your demonstration gives me something to look forward to. ;)

splattergnome
08-20-2006, 10:23 AM
(Potential spoilers below)

I tested this quest and managed to get myself stuck: I rode the freeform raft up a screen, past the motion-detecting spike to the right screen, got off, and walked towards the freeform rock until it got activated. I got out of the way as it destroyed my raft, went up, and recieved my key. At this point, I used the magical whirlwind to leave the dead-end and return to the first screen (and raft). However, I have no idea on how to continue from this point. I checked in the Quest file in ZQuest, but there are apparently no flags set in dmap 2. I would appreciate some tips on how to check out the other freeform scripting combos -L- created. :)

BUG: If you use the magical whirlwind (flute) from the second screen (the one with the left-right spike trap, the zoro, and what appears to be the dungeon entrance), you are whisked to the right of the screen and then it hangs - at least the two times I did so right in front of the dungeon entrance.

splatty

erm2003
08-20-2006, 11:52 AM
Use the key on a bush to the right of the dungeon entrance. You can then continue.

_L_ you did a great job with this! I am very impressed. It is nice to see a live sample of exactly how powerful this FF scripting can be. Great job!

splattergnome
08-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Use the key on a bush to the right of the dungeon entrance. You can then continue.

Thank you, it worked! I somehow overlooked the key shape on the bush. :)

The effects achievable with the scripting language are manifold, as -L- has shown us all brilliantly - I laughed particularly at the heart piece grab. I do have another potential bug: In the room with the moving blocks, Link recieves damage when they hit them as they fly to the other side. However, he doesn`t recieve damage if he walks through them once they have "landed". Was this intended?

I hope that the scripting language eventually gets access to more elements of the Zelda Classic core to become even more flexible and adaptable.

splatty

_L_
08-21-2006, 12:48 AM
I do have another potential bug: In the room with the moving blocks, Link recieves damage when they hit them as they fly to the other side. However, he doesn`t recieve damage if he walks through them once they have "landed". Was this intended? You saw through my bluff!
My intention for that room requires solid FFCs, which aren't implemented yet. I could have faked their solidness as I did with the overworld water, but...

...ah, you know, maybe I will go ahead and put some solidifying code for those blocks in a little later.

jman2050
08-21-2006, 12:37 PM
It's extremely easy to fake solidness for any FFC. Making them actually solid though would be difficult under the current collision system. But faking solidness would be enough for most applications.

Master_of_Power
08-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Teach me oh great master! We aren't worthy

Warlock
08-24-2006, 09:23 PM
Finally got a chance to check this out - awesome! You guys should package this with the new version once it's released to the public.

idontknow
08-27-2006, 01:21 PM
Hey i had downloaded this before & then deleted it but now i need it again. After clicking the the link & downloading it, the folder won't open or unzip. An error occurs that says "The compressed folder is invalid or corrupted" Can this be fixed?

Limzo
08-27-2006, 02:59 PM
I LOVE THIS! I love everything about it! I can't wait till I finish it!
It's so good, and it makes a lot of stuff easy now. Thanks L.

_L_
08-28-2006, 01:10 AM
Hey i had downloaded this before & then deleted it but now i need it again. After clicking the the link & downloading it, the folder won't open or unzip. An error occurs that says "The compressed folder is invalid or corrupted" Can this be fixed?

Nothing wrong on my side... (though, I'm using StuffIt Expander 8.0.2 for Mac.)

Petoe
10-01-2006, 01:25 PM
This is truely awesome!

But, I tried to Import some of the FFC Scripts to my test quest but it gives me error messages. :( What's wrong? I'd especially want to use Trap (script 5) and the jump tile (scripts 20, 21 and 22) in a quest of mine. here's the error messages I got:

Unable to parse instruction 2 from script ffc005.txt
The error was: Parameter 2 invalid.
The command was <COMPARER> <x,lx>

Unable to parse instruction 4 from script ffc020.txt
The error was: Parameter 1 invalid.
The command was <COMPAREV> <lx, 136>

Unable to parse instruction 4 from script ffc021.txt
The error was: Parameter 2 invalid.
The command was <SETR> <d1,lx>

Oh and I was wondering about those combo cycling jumping Link tiles, do they have to be set to specific combos or how does the script replace Link with the combo cycling jumping Link? If the master himself can answer to these questions I'd be very thankful. :)

Saffith
10-01-2006, 03:15 PM
But, I tried to Import some of the FFC Scripts to my test quest but it gives me error messages. :( What's wrong? I'd especially want to use Trap (script 5) and the jump tile (scripts 20, 21 and 22) in a quest of mine. here's the error messages I got:This was made for an older beta; the argument names have changed slightly since then. If you replace lx and ly with linkx and linky, I think that should make it work.

Oh and I was wondering about those combo cycling jumping Link tiles, do they have to be set to specific combos or how does the script replace Link with the combo cycling jumping Link?The script just move Link somewhere else on the screen, where you can't see him, and puts a couple of FFCs that look like him where he was. So, yeah, they do have to be in a certain place in the list, but it's a simple change to the script if you want to put them elsewhere.

If the master himself can answer to these questions I'd be very thankful. :)I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Petoe
10-01-2006, 04:19 PM
Ah, thank you very much Master Saffith. ;)
I'll test if that works later tonight. Hopefully changing lx and ly to linkx and linky is enough.

gdorf
10-03-2006, 12:31 AM
This is really impressive! It was enough to make me install ZC 2.0 again and all I can say is I wish this scripting was around when I used ZQ!

Congrats on a great quest and I look forward to seeing what this ends up becoming. :)

FIERCEDEITY
12-07-2006, 09:39 PM
where do you find the flute? o.O

ShadowTiger
12-07-2006, 10:24 PM
I think you start out with it. That, and the candle. Maybe the bow and arrow as well, but I don't quite recall.

Purplemandown
08-10-2008, 12:53 AM
All the link does is goes to a random-joe's site with so many sponsered links that I couldn't find anything more. WTF.

Aegix Drakan
08-10-2008, 09:43 AM
...damn. I want to check this out, but when I click on the link, I go to a page where I can't find the download link!

Where is the link?

_L_
08-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Link updated.

Purplemandown
08-11-2008, 11:42 PM

YESSSSSSSS!
(Haven't played it yet-but the link works! Hurrah!)

Polymorph
10-28-2008, 01:04 AM
I keep getting a corrupt archive.