PDA

View Full Version : Wii for ~$170?

Warlock
08-16-2006, 01:23 PM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/725/725645p1.html

August 15, 2006 - Nintendo's new Wii console could be yours later this year for less than expected. Tokyo-based Nikko Citigroup has issued a report on Nintendo's rising stock price, and between all the jargon is the financial institution's forecast that the Wii will carry a Japanese price point of 19,800 yen.

Current exchange rates would put an equivalent US price at $170.00. However, console prices rarely convert according to exchange rates. At most, we can probable take this report to indicate an anticipated US price of under $200.

Nikko Citigroup previously forecast a 25,000 yen price for the Wii. The firm arrived at the new, lower price point based on its expectation that Nintendo will be able to procure the Wii's CPU for less than expected.

This report is just another prediction by a financial institution and shouldn't be taken as confirmation of the Wii's price. For now, the official Nintendo word is that the system will be sold for under 25,000 yen in Japan and $250 in America. Final details are expected in September.

That would be pretty cool if it turns out to be true. At the very least, they could sell it for $200 no problem which puts them at a huge advantage. And perhaps even drop it down to say, $175 which would be crazy awesome.

Matteo
08-16-2006, 01:26 PM
I need one. My wife won't let me, but I'll win her over... Twilight Princess here we come...

Pineconn
08-16-2006, 03:30 PM
Wow, $170 would be great. It would sure steal away some people from the $600 PS3. And I hope it does.

erm2003
08-16-2006, 03:50 PM
That price point will make me want to shell out the money immediately for the system. I hope this is true, and if so, way to go Nintendo!

goKi
08-16-2006, 03:59 PM
Think logically, everyone.

It will be $249 at launch.

Why would Nintendo not want to line their pockets with a little more money per console. $249 is still going to be so much cheaper than any other console on the market, even after the 360 drops in price. Nintendo are a company, not a charity. I hope that everyone isn't going to be disappointed when Nintendo announce the price to be $249 in the next month or so.

erm2003
08-16-2006, 04:17 PM
I honestly expect it to be $249. GC started out at $249 as well so honestly I don't expect anything less. It would be nice if it was though.

Warlock
08-16-2006, 04:21 PM
I honestly expect it to be $249. GC started out at $249 as well so honestly I don't expect anything less. It would be nice if it was though.

No, GC started at $200.

Think logically, everyone.

It will be $249 at launch.

Why would Nintendo not want to line their pockets with a little more money per console. $249 is still going to be so much cheaper than any other console on the market, even after the 360 drops in price. Nintendo are a company, not a charity. I hope that everyone isn't going to be disappointed when Nintendo announce the price to be $249 in the next month or so.

That's not really true. By that logic, they could charge $350 for it. Why not? It's cheaper than any other console on the market.

The issue is cost vs. sales. They don't want to sell it for less than the cost of the materials, or else they lose money (which is what MS & Sony have been doing - they generally make the money back on software sales and other stuff). Nintendo makes their stuff cheap enough that they don't have to do this. So why not keep the price high? Because you will get more sales at a lower price. Eventually, especially when you factor in extra software sales, you'll come out ahead. Add to this, Nintendo's whole stance for this console is that it's "for everyone". The cheaper they can make it, the more likely Mom & Dad will actually get it for *themselves* and not just the kids. That's broadening the market base and in general, making Nintendo more money.

Aside from all that, the lower the cost compared to the competitors, the better it's going to look to potential buyers. If you just compare the graphics, maybe someone is willing to spend an extra $50 or whatever for HD quality stuff. But if the price is low, it's an easy decision.

erm2003
08-16-2006, 06:21 PM
No, GC started at $200.

Yeah, my bad. Got a bad source on my first search, but I found a good site on that now.

That's not really true. By that logic, they could charge $350 for it. Why not? It's cheaper than any other console on the market.

The issue is cost vs. sales. They don't want to sell it for less than the cost of the materials, or else they lose money (which is what MS & Sony have been doing - they generally make the money back on software sales and other stuff). Nintendo makes their stuff cheap enough that they don't have to do this. So why not keep the price high? Because you will get more sales at a lower price. Eventually, especially when you factor in extra software sales, you'll come out ahead. Add to this, Nintendo's whole stance for this console is that it's "for everyone". The cheaper they can make it, the more likely Mom & Dad will actually get it for *themselves* and not just the kids. That's broadening the market base and in general, making Nintendo more money.

Aside from all that, the lower the cost compared to the competitors, the better it's going to look to potential buyers. If you just compare the graphics, maybe someone is willing to spent an extra $50 or whatever for HD quality stuff. But if the price is low, it's an easy decision.

This does seem to match up with what Nintendo has been doing for years. It will be interesting to see how well the Wii does when it is finally out.

MottZilla
08-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Actually, the Xbox 360 costs 300$, then the hard disk adds another 100$. ;p

You really should expect to see the Wii at between 200 and 250. It's really unlikely it would be anything less than 200$.

Even Nintendo sells consoles at a loss. The key difference has been Nintendo has always acted very responsibly with their money knowing when to spend the money/take a hit and how much is acceptable.

We will see in a few months.

goKi
08-16-2006, 10:52 PM
It will be $250. I really doubt that $50 difference would drive off a single customer. Nintendo will know that.

Warlock
08-16-2006, 11:26 PM
It will be $250. I really doubt that $50 difference would drive off a single customer. Nintendo will know that.

Not true. $200 is very much a barrier for a lot of people. I know there are quite a few who wouldn't spend more than that. It's a psychological thing.

AtmaWeapon
08-16-2006, 11:50 PM
$250 is very much a barrier for many people, and that extra $50 will most likely be what determines if I buy the blasted thing at launch or wait until I have money setting my wallet on fire.

Here's the breakdown:

$300 is a very lot of money. My budget (rough school schedule with no opportunities for work) leaves me perhaps $400 of disposable income once I take into account the luxuries I enjoy more than I would having a Wii. I have a very active addiction to programming texts, and that means I have the possibility of between 5 and 10 books depending on how pricey I go.

Anyway I'm wandering. $200 is what my demented little head thinks is "right" for my video game budget this semester. If the console launches at $200, of course I need a game so I will override this number and probably spend closer to $250 for the a Wii/Twilight Princess deal. This is an overage, but one that can be compensated for by sacrificing another luxury (such as eating at not-fast-food restaurants or staying at the dorm for a weekend) for as little as a week, 2 weeks tops and my budget is balanced again.

However, if the console is $250, adding Twilight Princess to the bundle makes the price $300 minimum. The console itself is over my budget, so convincing myself to go even further over budget is tough. This is an extra $50 worth of cost and an extra 1-2 weeks of luxury I must sacrifice. When I ask myself if the Wii is worth a month of fasting from something else I can't answer that yes.

How $50 makes such a difference is a complicated thing; it is a large percentage of the price itself and puts the console out of my budget before I even get a game.

However, I must admit I strongly believe the system will launch at $250. I don't know why, but that is the price I think of when I try to estimate.

Anyone who wants to be a wise guy and tell me to get a job, sit and spin. I juggle between 16 and 18 hours a semester and that tends to give me fits of depression as I struggle to make a 4-hour assignment fit into 3 hours so I can have a little bit of time to play games and unwind. Adding even a part-time job to my schedule at this point in time would not be healthy. Yeah I'm sure plenty of you He-Men out there do it and make do just fine but honestly I don't have bills to pay and I can't justify working that hard just to get a video game console when my time budget for playing said games is ever-decreasing.

Brasel
08-17-2006, 02:04 PM
I would gladly pay $200 for it. I wasn't sure what the price was going to be until I read this thread. I haven't been paying attention lately to video game news. $250 I might be willing to spend, but like Atma said, 50 bucks makes a big difference. For those of you who might still be in highschool or college and aren't paying much along the lines of bills, you won't realize this as much as say, a married guy paying rent, car payments, auto insurance, phone bills, etc. etc.

On another note, is Twilight Princess still coming out for GCN as well?

Cloral
08-17-2006, 02:18 PM
Yes, it will be a simultaneous release on both systems. The only real difference as far as I've heard is that the Wii version makes use of the Wii controller to do some of the moves. For instance, you can do a spin slash on the Wii by rotating the 'nunchuck' in your hand instead of doing a circle with the analog stick, or you can do a finishing move by flicking the nunchuck back and forward. I think at some level it would be nice to have the familiar control feel the regular controller provides, but doing a spin slash by moving your hand in a circle does feel pretty sweet.

Grasshopper
08-17-2006, 02:34 PM
For those of you who might still be in ... college and aren't paying much along the lines of bills, you won't realize this as much

I sure realized it. I have no money when I'm in college. The cost books, car payments, gas, and food is well enough to put a pinch on my wallet

MottZilla
08-17-2006, 02:34 PM
Wow, $170 would be great. It would sure steal away some people from the $600 PS3. And I hope it does.

I forgot to comment on this in my first reply, sorry but no one set on a PS3 will buy a Wii instead even if it costs 2$. People that want the PS3 are more likely to buy a 360 instead. This is because the Wii is quite different than 360 and PS3. But 360 and PS3 offer very much the same thing. Just ones cheaper and in my opinion better.

Archibaldo
08-17-2006, 02:38 PM
Haven't almost all of Nintendo's consoles been released at the same price or at least close?

I'm not sure, but I think the N64 was launched with a $275 - $300 (I'm speaking canadian dollars of course, it could have changed due to the exchange rate on currency) and the GCN was realeased for around the same price point.

Even with the Gameboys. They are always released for about $125-$150 Cnd. The GB, GBP, GBC, GBA, GBA SP.

goKi
08-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Trust me, $250.

Pineconn
08-17-2006, 04:11 PM
I forgot to comment on this in my first reply, sorry but no one set on a PS3 will buy a Wii instead even if it costs 2$. People that want the PS3 are more likely to buy a 360 instead. This is because the Wii is quite different than 360 and PS3. But 360 and PS3 offer very much the same thing. Just ones cheaper and in my opinion better.

Whatever suits a gamer's needs. If they want to kill people and run away from cops, they'd go for the PS3. If they want quality games, they'd go for the Wii. ;)

(I'm not asking for a :angry: war. I'm just biased against Sony. :sweat: )

Actually, the Wii will likely be $225-250. After all, Nintendo want bucks, like any other company. They basically have control of this type of console, since it's the only one like it. (Yeah, yeah, Sony and their tilt-controller.)

Grasshopper
08-17-2006, 04:23 PM
People that want the PS3 are more likely to buy a 360 instead.

People who want a PS3 will more than likely get a PS3. I get the same blank stares over and over. When I tell someone it costs $600, they act like its a lot, but it doesn't change their mind. They'll get it anyway...because they want it. If people with no money still plan to buy it, then you know people with money will.

People who want an Xbox 360, will more than likely get an Xbox 360. They've already thought about it over the last year, and thats what they've been saving their money up for. Its what everyone has, so they want it too.

People who want a Wii will get a Wii. Because its different, or its Nintendo, or they can't stand Sony or Microsoft. People who think its stupid will always think its stupid until the media, or their best friend tells them otherwise.

Trust me, $250.
Actually, the Wii will likely be $225-250.

The point of the a cheap console is not just to be cheaper than the competitors, but to be cheap enough to get someone who doesn't want it to buy it. The cheaper the better. People who are indecisive on which one to get have their eye light up when they are told Wii will be less than $250.

In the end, there is no use believe its going to be $250 any more than believeing its going to be $170.

Warlock
08-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Yes, it will be a simultaneous release on both systems. The only real difference as far as I've heard is that the Wii version makes use of the Wii controller to do some of the moves. For instance, you can do a spin slash on the Wii by rotating the 'nunchuck' in your hand instead of doing a circle with the analog stick, or you can do a finishing move by flicking the nunchuck back and forward. I think at some level it would be nice to have the familiar control feel the regular controller provides, but doing a spin slash by moving your hand in a circle does feel pretty sweet.

It can also run at 16:9 in progressive scan.

Orion
08-17-2006, 05:41 PM
I have a feeling it will be either $199 or $229. Anything more is a bit excessive unless it comes with 2 controllers, and anything cheaper makes it seem... well... cheap.

AtmaWeapon
08-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Wow Grasshopper that was a really good post you guys should go back and read it, here's a restatement of his two main points:
People who want some item will buy it no matter the price. They may do so with gnashing of teeth, and said purchase may only occur after frugal savings, but in the end it will be bought. The correct price for an item is the price that makes the people who do not want it give it a try.
This is actually a good statement of something I was subconsciously doing and never understood. Think about it in the context of my last post:

I want a Wii, but I only want it at < $300 for game + console. However, even if Nintendo jacks the price up to $300, I will not turn away but eventually save up enough pennies to buy the blasted thing.

I'm the same way with the XBox 360 right now; it seems to be a good console and I want it, but its price is quite prohibitive. However, after I possess a Wii, I'll probably end up saving pennies until I get the other cursed system as well.

In support of the other point, I have no desire to own a PSP, but if the price were between $75 and $100 I'd probably buy one just for the heck of it because that's a decent (though probably unrealistic) price for a handheld movie viewer that sometimes plays games.

So in the end, Nintendo will make money regardless of the price of the Wii because I'm sure there's a faction of people who already have $1000+ dollars saved up just in case the price is that high. I have other, more foolish ventures to follow than spending my money so I'm not in that crowd.

I still say $250 though. If not that, then $249.99.

MottZilla
08-17-2006, 10:49 PM
Grasshopper, I meant the large group of people wondering what next-gen system will probably have the titles they like, if they were a PS2 user before, if they bought anything besides the PS3, it'd more likely be the 360 than the Wii. Again I say this is due to similaritys. Just look at the PS2, Xbox and GCN generation. Many games were released cross platform however certain versions were inferior. But now the 360 and PS3 are basically on equal footing. The thing is Sony forces Blu-Ray on your, for 360 HDDVD is an option that you can negate to save 200 clams. Though Blu-Ray storage for PS3 games may prove quite useful later on, however the 360 can easily follow that road as well.

Just the way I see it is that PS3 doesn't offer anything I find special to the point that I'd go with it rather than 360 alone. And I think alot of other people do too. The Wii however falls in a strange category like the DS. There really is no comparitive system. One thing I know we can all agree on is the next couple years in the video game world will be VERY interesting.

punkonjunk1024
08-18-2006, 06:00 AM
Here's what's gonna happen.

PS3? Nothing... cool? The Wii? Motion sensor badassedness? half the price? Amazing? SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL?
Don't tell nintendo, but I would've paid 500 for the fucker.

Is there information on a launch date/season, and any launch titles? I don't give a crap and a half about twilight princess, but I am really looking forward to brawl and the metroid game for it. Are they launch titles?

erm2003
08-18-2006, 10:00 AM
Brawl was announced to be a 2007 release unfortunately. We will have to wait a bit longer for that one. Metriod is being listed as a November title, so pretty much available at launch.

Cloral
08-18-2006, 12:16 PM
I saw a site somewhere that's listing 27 launch titles. Let me see if I can find it...

Here it is: http://www.nwizard.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=245&Itemid=2

And here's the list:
Title
Publisher

THQ

Blazing Angels: Squadrons of WWII
Ubisoft

Blitz: The League
Midway

Call of Duty 3
Activision

Cars
THQ

Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2
Atari

Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Square Enix

Elebits
Konami

Excite Truck
Nintendo

Far Cry
Ubisoft

GT Pro Series
Ubisoft

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Square Enix

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Nintendo

Madden NFL 07
EA

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
Activision

Metal Slug Anthology
SNK

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
Nintendo

Monster 4x4 World Circuit
Ubisoft

Need for Speed: Carbon
EA

Open Season
Ubisoft

Rayman Raving Rabbids
Ubisoft

Red Steel
Ubisoft

SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
THQ

Super Monkey Ball: Banana Blitz
Sega

Tony Hawk's Downhill Jam
Activision

Trauma Center: Second Opinion
Atlus

Wii Sports
Nintendo

Pineconn
08-18-2006, 02:11 PM
The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Nintendo

That's all I really want. ;)

The saying "you get what you pay for" hopefully does not apply to this. After all, the Wii < Xbox360 < PS3 in terms of price. So is a ~$200 system worse than a ~$600 system? Hopefully not.

MottZilla
08-18-2006, 02:39 PM
Wii uses far less expensive technology, hence the estimated 300$+ difference between it and PS3. The PS3 uses some very expensive components, mainly being the Cell cpu and the Blu-Ray drive, though I'm sure their GPU adds a hefty piece to it too. Wii doesn't use anything near the cutting edge, hence it's much cheaper to make. As far was worse goes, it depends what you want. Wii can certainly run fun entertaining games. However it doesn't have the cpu or gpu power to match the 360 and PS3. It doesn't have the memory either.

That's something I think Nintendo should have splurged on a bit. They should have given more RAM to the system. RAM makes everyone happy. ;p

punkonjunk1024
08-18-2006, 02:51 PM
well... it does mean we won't see so much cross-system games, which could end up sucking, but really... I'd rather see great things done with cheap shit.

I still think gamecube's graphics, in alot of places, outshine Xbox, and on occasion the PS2. *shrug*

AtmaWeapon
08-18-2006, 03:01 PM
From the few articles I skim with little interest, I hear that the PS3 is either tough to develop for or has some design issues that make development silly. I think we'll still see cross-platform games, but since the same rumor-type sites suggest that the Wii SDK is the Gamecube SDK with extensions and XBox 360 development isn't really that tough*, we'll probably see more 360-Wii crossovers than anything else.

Of course, the EA sports games will be on every system. I'm pretty sure there's people out there that buy a version for every console so there's no reason NOT to port them all.

-----------------------------------
* "Not so tough" in the context of game programming, which, when compared to some other categories of programming, is quite difficult to begin with.

Warlock
08-18-2006, 03:02 PM
From the few articles I skim with little interest, I hear that the PS3 is either tough to develop for or has some design issues that make development silly. I think we'll still see cross-platform games, but since the same rumor-type sites suggest that the Wii SDK is the Gamecube SDK with extensions and XBox 360 development isn't really that tough*, we'll probably see more 360-Wii crossovers than anything else.

Of course, the EA sports games will be on every system. I'm pretty sure there's people out there that buy a version for every console so there's no reason NOT to port them all.

-----------------------------------
* "Not so tough" in the context of game programming, which, when compared to some other categories of programming, is quite difficult to begin with.

I've heard conflicting reports. Some say the PS3 devkit is a bitch. Some say it's super easy. So who knows..

Darth Marsden
08-18-2006, 04:55 PM
I'd like to think those who say it's easy are on Sony's payroll in some form, while those who say it's hard are actually being honest. ;) But the truth is they're probably trying to do different things with it, and people are finding it hard or easy to use depending on how far they're trying to stretch their game. Or something. I dunno, that's my view.

If this console sells for more then £200, I will not be happy. That's pounds, not dollars. $225 sounds reasonable to me.

Nicholas Steel
08-20-2006, 09:30 PM
250$ AUD or less would be awesomn same if most games are only 50$ AUD or less.

MottZilla
08-21-2006, 12:01 AM
Wii games will cost the same as GameCube games did in AUD. Nintendo said they had no plans whatsoever to increase game prices, or decrease.

The PS3 probably isn't "hard" to develop for, just hard to get the full potential out of it. My opinion on it has been that it is overly complicated for no good reason. That and very expensive.

goKi
08-21-2006, 08:23 AM
250$ AUD or less would be awesomn same if most games are only 50$ AUD or less.

Expect $350-399AUD for the console and $100 for all first party games, and $100-110 for all third party games.

$250USD would be $332AUD, Plus GST would be $365.20. Also, add in the fact that Australians get screwed by video game companies, my guess is $399AUD, still a ton cheaper than the Xbox360 which is $499 and $649, and the PS3, which is going to be $849 and $999.

The console price is assuming the USD price of $249, which i am definately assuming.

Brasel
08-21-2006, 01:45 PM
I sure realized it. I have no money when I'm in college. The cost books, car payments, gas, and food is well enough to put a pinch on my wallet

There are exceptions to the rule. When I was in college, along with a lot of my other friends, were quite capable of pulling 170 bucks out of our asses for something stupid to blow money on, mainly cause we were all working and living at home driving old ass or paid for vehicles.

My wife, on the other hand, paid for everything herself. I guess its just where you go to school and where you live and whatever. In my area, its kind of rare that someone has to pay for college all by themselves.

Kairyu
08-21-2006, 02:30 PM
Expect $350-399AUD for the console and $100 for all first party games, and $100-110 for all third party games.

$250USD would be $332AUD, Plus GST would be $365.20. Also, add in the fact that Australians get screwed by video game companies, my guess is $399AUD, still a ton cheaper than the Xbox360 which is $499 and $649, and the PS3, which is going to be $849 and $999.

The console pirce is assuming the USD price of $249, which i am definately assuming.

How can people survive in a climate like that?

Anyway, I'll be getting a Wii near or on launch if possible, but I really do hope it's $250 or under, considering how little money I'll have available for the next couple of years.

punkonjunk1024
08-21-2006, 02:56 PM

The console pirce is assuming the USD price of $249, which i am definately assuming.

UHHHHH

Import?

MottZilla
08-21-2006, 02:57 PM

Are you really sure that you're getting screwwed? Part of what would affect the price is the cost of getting the product to your region, which can vary by how many ships/planes have routes going. The more ships there are going more often probably means shipping is cheaper or something. I would imagine the US gets things cheaper for 2 reasons, we import alot of crap, and North America has alot of buying power when it comes to the video gaming industry so they may lower the price to try to move more units, who knows.

AtmaWeapon
08-21-2006, 03:43 PM
UHHHHH

Import?Well since he did the conversion from $250USD to $332AUD I'm thinking the shipping costs of importing the system/games, let alone any electrical outlet conversions that may need to be done (some countries don't use 110V AC or even the same shape outlets as the USA) I'm thinking he wouldn't be saving a whole lot of money over his projected price of $399AUD.

I personally wouldn't go through the trouble to save less than 10% of my purchase price.

goKi
08-22-2006, 12:17 AM
Yes, we are getting screwed. By probably about $25USD per game. I could ship a game to the USA for $6. They're moving hundreds of thousands of them. In bulk. I know for a fact that retailers make 50% gross profit on new release video games, and all the markup comes from the retailers.

MottZilla
08-22-2006, 12:30 AM
Ah I see. Burn their stores down. That'll teach em. ;p Or smash and grab.

Nicholas Steel
08-22-2006, 12:55 AM

thank you....

solyphon
09-10-2006, 08:51 AM
man, if wii was 250 or <, my dad would get me it for christmas :D. *crosses fingers*

{DSG}DarkRaven
09-10-2006, 05:43 PM
When I was in college, I could not have afforded a brand new GC for $200, much less a $250 Wii. I bought my Cube, like many others, I'm sure, in November 2003 when the price got dropped and Nintendo offered those bundles that came with the Zelda anthology discs (Z1, Z2, OoT, MM). I could afford that.

Nowadays, since I'm living at home and not paying rent (I help out around the house and have wonderful parents), $250 is still a lot, but it's within my reach with a little saving.

Wasn't Super Mario Galaxy supposed to be a launch title, or is that hitting in spring with Brawl? I'd be sold on those if they were coming out in time for Christmas. Instead, Twilight Princess and Corruption are going to be my staples. And maybe Monkey Ball.

Lastly, Twilight will also make use of the Wiimote speaker and motion sensor aiming with the bow, among other items, I think. As I recall, it's mostly designed for Wii, and slightly dummed down for GC controls. It should play mostly the same, but the Wii version will be more immersive.

ctrl-alt-delete
09-10-2006, 08:15 PM
man, if wii was 250 or <, my dad would get me it for christmas :D. *crosses fingers*

Nintendo has already said that it will be $250 or less in America. Time to write Santa a letter.

When I was in college, I could not have afforded a brand new GC for $200, much less a $250 Wii. I bought my Cube, like many others, I'm sure, in November 2003 when the price got dropped and Nintendo offered those bundles that came with the Zelda anthology discs (Z1, Z2, OoT, MM). I could afford that.

Nowadays, since I'm living at home and not paying rent (I help out around the house and have wonderful parents), $250 is still a lot, but it's within my reach with a little saving.

Wasn't Super Mario Galaxy supposed to be a launch title, or is that hitting in spring with Brawl? I'd be sold on those if they were coming out in time for Christmas. Instead, Twilight Princess and Corruption are going to be my staples. And maybe Monkey Ball.

Lastly, Twilight will also make use of the Wiimote speaker and motion sensor aiming with the bow, among other items, I think. As I recall, it's mostly designed for Wii, and slightly dummed down for GC controls. It should play mostly the same, but the Wii version will be more immersive.

They were planning Galaxy as a launch title, but they have since announce it will be kicked back to early 2007.

Modus Ponens
09-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Time to write Santa a letter.

Why would he write Santa? He said his dad was going to buy it.

...Australians get screwed by video game companies...

You guys got Terranigma, so don't talk.

punkonjunk1024
09-10-2006, 11:36 PM
Terranigma rules hard ass. :)

MottZilla
09-10-2006, 11:45 PM
You guys got Terranigma, so don't talk.

The PAL release of Terranigma doesn't nessisarily mean people in all PAL regions where able to buy it. I would imagine most of the Terranigma cartridges were in the UK and that was it. Although speaking of lucky PAL releases, they got the Mega Man X3 Playstation port while the USA didn't.

Kairyu
09-11-2006, 12:00 AM
They also got Rockman Battle & Chase.
I think the DS browser is also being released over there earlier than in the US, which does make sense if you remember that Opera is based in Europe.

For the most part, though, Europe does get the short, pointy end of the stick.

vegeta1215
09-11-2006, 12:47 AM
As I recall, it's mostly designed for Wii, and slightly dummed down for GC controls. It should play mostly the same, but the Wii version will be more immersive.

It's more like the other way around - the game was mostly designed for the Gamecube, and then Nintendo decided to add Wii control. Whether or not the Wii version will be more immersive, I don't know. I do know that for now I'm playing it safe and getting the Gamecube version (plus, I don't know when I'll be getting a Wii, and I won't wait to play Zelda)

When I do get a Wii, Metroid and Mario are on the top of my 'games to buy' list.

Modus Ponens
09-11-2006, 02:13 AM
I would imagine most of the Terranigma cartridges were in the UK and that was it.

Oh yeah?

Originally Published in Wikipedia, on Terranigma
[T]his game was not released in America, but was popular in Europe and Australia.

Dechipher
09-11-2006, 05:12 PM
Oh yeah?

Good thing Wikipedia is a credible source.

phattonez
09-11-2006, 07:38 PM
http://wii.ign.com/articles/725/725645p1.html

That would be pretty cool if it turns out to be true. At the very least, they could sell it for $200 no problem which puts them at a huge advantage. And perhaps even drop it down to say, $175 which would be crazy awesome.

Good, that means the price will be around $100 when I go to college. I need to find a job though.

Modus Ponens
09-11-2006, 08:20 PM
Good thing Wikipedia is a credible source.

Touché. However, I do honestly recall reading somewhere else, long before I even knew of the existence of Wikipedia, that Terranigma did indeed come out in Australia. Besides, what article-writer would lie about where a game came out?

Oh, and no, I didn't write that article.

All of this is clearly worth arguing about; a second look reveals that I'm just trying to say I'm right. :redface:

MottZilla
09-11-2006, 10:28 PM
It's not about lieing, it's about misinformation. Anyway, I'm not saying anything definite, I'm just saying I would think the biggest PAL areas are/were the UK and surrounding territories. But it wouldn't be that surprising if AU was a pretty good sized PAL video game area back then.