PDA

View Full Version : StarFox Command DS

MottZilla
08-14-2006, 04:13 PM
Anyone else interested in this game? I breifly played the japanese version and after some adjusting to the control scheme (like any DS game) I was quite pleased. I can't wait till the US release comes out. StarFox has always been great (SF Adventures doesn't count). This one plays in a way somewhat familar to Star Fox 2 (Super Famicom Beta). It's really cool looking but rather than chug through it in japanese I'm gonna wait for the english version. ;) Anyone else looking forward to this game? Also I haven't really paid attension to things about this game, I was surprised when I heard it was released in japan. Does this have Wifi online in it?

Darth Marsden
08-14-2006, 04:45 PM
I will admit it looks interesting, but I haven't had much faith in the Starfox brand as of late, sadly. A couple of somewhat average games will do that to you. (I recently replayed Starfox Adventures - didn't die once. Somewhat depressing. Now I'm good, but I shouldn't be THAT good...) Still, I have high hopes.

Tygore
08-14-2006, 07:02 PM
Does it have the old SNES-style voices ("yip-jabba jabba!")?

Aegix Drakan
08-14-2006, 08:03 PM
I will not buy this game for 3 reasons. 3 things that piss me off.

1. it's 100% flying. I know Star fox's trademark is the arwing, but the fact that I've heard that they will probably never go on foot again ticks me off. It was awesome being able to switch between on foot, and the arwing in Star fox assault, I thought it was perfect!

2. Krystal is no longer part of the team. HELLO?!? bad idea! Krystal brought something new and interesting to the team. she was the only female, and she was psychic. and what's the reason she was booted out? to "protect her from the dangers of the job". If fox has any respect, he'll see that she is willing and able to help him preserve peace everywhere.

3. Since krystal is out, they've brought Peppy back in as a full time pilot. Now, unless I'm VERY, totally, incredibly mistaken, (SPOILERS FOR STAR FOX ASSAULT!!! highlight to read)Peppy decided to finally retire. It was a kinda emotional scene. peppy, after all he did, finally leaving things in fox's hands. Bringing him back totally ruins the meaning of that moment. it's almost like Star fox assault never happened! also, it was realistic that the characters did indeed age(end spoilers)

I don't know why star fox assault garnered enough distaste that things were altered this radically. as far as I'm concerned, Star fox assault is the pinnacle of the star fox series.

[/END RANT]

*I apologise if anyone is offended by this, but...it's really grating my nerves.

Dechipher
08-14-2006, 10:37 PM
I've never played the two "middle" star fox games. I'm down with having Fox, Peppy, Falco, and Slippy. Good team there. I'd love the old SNES voices, personally, big feeling of nostalgia there.

I'll get this game.

MottZilla
08-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Star Fox Adventures was NOT a StarFox game. Someone with no fucking clue what they were doing changed Dinosaur Planet to try to make it better by half assing StarFox characters into it.

Krystal never should have been part of StarFox. She's from that god awful Dinosaur Planet episode. If they needed a female they always had that Fara Fox or whatever that was around during the Comic.

As far as StarFox Assault, I for one enjoyed it. I however thought the story was not that great, I ofcourse hate all things dinosaur planet, but I loved the updated Vs. Mode. You cn't beat finally having an updated Star Fox 64 Versus mode with bigger better levels with a better vehicle system, included the Wolfen Fighter that looks so cool.

In my opinion the only bad Star Fox game wasn't even a StarFox game, it was an average game called Dinosaur Planet that some bastard threw our StarFox universe into for no reason other than to try to boost sales.

Warlock
08-15-2006, 01:29 PM
Star Fox Adventures was NOT a StarFox game. Someone with no fucking clue what they were doing changed Dinosaur Planet to try to make it better by half assing StarFox characters into it.

Krystal never should have been part of StarFox. She's from that god awful Dinosaur Planet episode. If they needed a female they always had that Fara Fox or whatever that was around during the Comic.

As far as StarFox Assault, I for one enjoyed it. I however thought the story was not that great, I ofcourse hate all things dinosaur planet, but I loved the updated Vs. Mode. You cn't beat finally having an updated Star Fox 64 Versus mode with bigger better levels with a better vehicle system, included the Wolfen Fighter that looks so cool.

In my opinion the only bad Star Fox game wasn't even a StarFox game, it was an average game called Dinosaur Planet that some bastard threw our StarFox universe into for no reason other than to try to boost sales.

No kidding. That game was horrible.

Anyways, as for the topic, I'm not particularly interested. I've never been a huge Star Fox fan, not because I hate the games or anything - I just never really got into them that much.

gdorf
08-15-2006, 01:45 PM
I am very interested. I was a huge fan of Starfox 64 and I need a new game for my DS.

Can't wait.

vegeta1215
08-15-2006, 02:57 PM
I owned the original Starfox and really enjoyed it. (I still regret selling it) I rented Starfox 64, but I don't remember much about it. Hopefully both of these will be available on the Wii's Virtual Console.

I haven't played any other Starfox games, though I've been meaning to take a look at Assault. I have a friend who is a huge Starfox fan, so I'll probably wait to hear from him about the new DS one.

Darth Marsden
08-16-2006, 06:53 AM
The trouble with Starfox 64 is that it was over in about 4 hours. I still have it and I still give it a go every now and then, but it's still a short game to blast through.

Quick question - do we know if the new game is set before or after Starfox Adventures? 'cause if it's set before SA, then that'd explain why the lineup is different to Assault. I really do hope it is set before, cause I like Krystal for some reason. Anyone ever played SA with the Dinsoaur language setting? It's just hilarious.

Oh! And Aegix... -=SPOILER=-

Kairyu
08-17-2006, 06:44 PM
I haven't heard anywhere near enough yet to encourage me to get it. I loved SF64 (Unfortunately my cartridge has been AWOL for a long time now, a problem made more annoying by the fact that I had all the medals for each planet unlocked), but this seems like it'll be more about positioning ships than actually shooting hordes of enemy fighters to reach a huge bio-weapon boss. Which is the thing I enjoyed about SF64.

MottZilla
08-17-2006, 10:52 PM
I haven't heard anywhere near enough yet to encourage me to get it. I loved SF64 (Unfortunately my cartridge has been AWOL for a long time now, a problem made more annoying by the fact that I had all the medals for each planet unlocked), but this seems like it'll be more about positioning ships than actually shooting hordes of enemy fighters to reach a huge bio-weapon boss. Which is the thing I enjoyed about SF64.

Wrong. The strategy of moving your units are is easy to do from what I experienced and the main focus is still StarFox goodness. It is not a strategy game. It's still StarFox, with a bit of a twist as far as how the game goes. If you liked StarFox 64, I think you'll like StarFox Command. If you liked StarFox 2 (SNES) I'm certain you'll like this game.

Kairyu
08-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Wrong. The strategy of moving your units are is easy to do from what I experienced and the main focus is still StarFox goodness. It is not a strategy game. It's still StarFox, with a bit of a twist as far as how the game goes. If you liked StarFox 64, I think you'll like StarFox Command. If you liked StarFox 2 (SNES) I'm certain you'll like this game.
Blast you, I haven't got enough money to get all the games (and the Wii) coming out soon. Stop encouraging me.

... Does anyone know if the WiFi is suppossed to be any good?

Takuya
08-19-2006, 12:27 PM
hm, I haven't seen this game yet, but StarFox 64 was a GREAT game. I think it's one of the best games. StarFox, SF64, I like the StarFox series with THOSE kinds of games, arwing for the win.
I'll have to check out this game now, sounds like I want it ;P

MacWeirdo42
08-19-2006, 01:40 PM
Bah... I don't see why we just can't have an update to Starfox 64. I mean, Starfox 64 was just an update on Starfox, basically, and personally, I think the formula was flawless. Just give it a graphics overhaul, add new levels, maybe a couple of new abilities, and I'll be super happy. But no, we just got stuck with the last two Starfox games. The Gamecube needs a decent Starfox game. Oh, and explosions. One of my complaints about Assault was that the explosions just seemed weak.

*b*
08-20-2006, 01:12 AM
Blast you, I haven't got enough money to get all the games (and the Wii) coming out soon. Stop encouraging me.

... Does anyone know if the WiFi is suppossed to be any good?
From what I've heard, it's supposed to be awesome. I think it's just flying around and shooting people out of the sky, like SF64

MottZilla
08-20-2006, 02:44 PM
Bah... I don't see why we just can't have an update to Starfox 64. I mean, Starfox 64 was just an update on Starfox, basically, and personally, I think the formula was flawless. Just give it a graphics overhaul, add new levels, maybe a couple of new abilities, and I'll be super happy.

StarFox 64 was a combination of StarFox and StarFox 2, as the all-range mode concept was from StarFox 2. I don't see what your problem with Assault was. It was a decent game and played pretty well, though the story didn't make any sense. If StarFox gets another game on the Wii, it better use the Classic or GameCube controller, and who knows if it'll look all that much better than StarFox Assault given hardware limitations.

Really nothing will beat the original, it's classic and untouchable.

Vagla
08-20-2006, 05:58 PM
I'm excited about SFC, myself; I like SF64 and absolutely love SF2 (I'm still pissed that they never released it. What the fuck, Nintendo. What the fuck.). SFC looks a lot like SF2, based on what I've seen, and while it probably doesn't have arwings transforming into mechs (a feature I'd love to see in the series again), I'm expecting it to be pretty cool. :)

MottZilla
08-20-2006, 11:50 PM
Ya I know Vagla. How the hell could they have scrapped the project that far in. Even if they were planning to release StarFox 64 shortly there after, being on seperate platforms removes any cross competition. But oh well, good thing we have our l337 R0|\/|Z.