PDA

View Full Version : Falling Tiles

The_Amaster
08-14-2006, 04:06 PM
As far as I can tell, this wouldn't be that hard to implement. It would only require minor to medium modifications to what already exists. Currently we have combo properties like Cave Walk Up, and Cave Walk Down for tile warps. I suggest this, that the types Pitfall(No Damage) and Pitfall(1/2 Heart) are added. These are tile warps, and are in turn linked to a new animation on the link animation page, namely that of Link falling. This would allow the creation of both "Fall to the next level" pits, and "fall, take damage, and restart room" pits. Just an idea.

ShadowTiger
08-14-2006, 05:09 PM
Duplicate threads/posts merged into this one. ... Yeah, ... one thread will do fine. ;)

We can do all of this right now via combo cycling, and warping into a room that's totally black/dark, warping right onto a floor of damage combos, then immediately warping back via a timed tic warp (Uses Side Warp [A].) back to the original room.

There's also a Reset room combo you can investigate.

It's the animation of Link falling that's the hard part. You could always have the warp warp you to a screen with a combo displaying Link falling, then warping you to the resulting damage screen and back again, but it's hard to do if you have more than four places to actually warp from. It's why I recommended the "Link" combo a while ago.

The_Amaster
08-14-2006, 08:30 PM
I know the animations the problem. With the method you described, if you have more than 4 fall spaces, or dont want to get complex, than when the player steps onto a pit, they see a brief flash of black, and they are either back at the entrance to the room, or on a new floor. It's only a minor problem with "back to the entrance", as it can be guessed that he fell, but with floor to floor, it appears as though link just stepped onto blackness and warped. It is a dilemma. *Sigh*

ZoraJolteon
08-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Couldn't you currently try making the pits direct warps to an identical screen where link is invisible and there's a step > next combo that shows link falling until a timed warp activates? I haven't tried this, although I think that directly warping onto a step > next combo doesn't trigger it until you move, so that probably wouldn't work.

Freedom
08-14-2006, 08:38 PM
Combo cycling, once you make your Link tiles falling, then they can be used time and again.
It's not that difficult.
I make him fall about 6 tiles, that makes him land in about the middle of the floor.
You make the tiles with a clear background, and name them overhead combos, then you paint the floor and wall on layer 1 where he is falling.
Now that cycling combos work on layers, via quest rule, you can even just use them on a layer without the need of making them overhead combos if you prefer.

The_Amaster
08-14-2006, 09:08 PM
Yeah, but that's quite complicated, and still your limited to four falling tiles per screen, cause of the tile warps.

Freedom
08-14-2006, 09:52 PM
It's not complicated.

The_Amaster
08-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Sorry, complicated was the wrong word. It requires quite a few screens, that's all.

Freedom
08-14-2006, 10:27 PM
I requires 1 additional screen
You guys are just getting too much like lazy. ;)

If people keep yelling for more and more and more we are going to continue to get more with more of the same.
A bunch of betas with hand fulls of unfinished features and never a stable release.
I'd rather see a stable release before another feature is added, after all 190 was a long time ago, and there hasn't been a bug free release since. ;)

ShadowTiger
08-14-2006, 10:48 PM
Well said. We need some sort of mantra that states "Work smarter, not harder." ... ... or something to this effect. It's just that so very, very much is possible with ZC, but nobody really knows how or why.

The "Why" is the major part here. ZC's bits and pieces are all composed of illusions. Take your average grass combo for example. Is it grass? ... ... It's up to you. To me, I see Grass, and I see an unwalkable combo that has no properties, no alternate Cset, and generally takes the appearance of a tile that looks green.

That's grass.

Yep.

Then you have your mountain combo. Those little cake-like ones that people seem to be tearing themselves away from into the fancy schmancy Z3-style mountains. (Bah. :sweat: ) Nothing but an unwalkable combo with the appearance of a piece of a mountain.

Link falling would be Link warping and simulating damage. So much is possible if you can trick the player into thinking it's actually happening.

_L_
08-14-2006, 11:32 PM
I'd rather see a stable release before another feature is added, after all 190 was a long time ago, and there hasn't been a bug free release since. ;)
Programmer's axiom: There's no such thing as a "bug free release".

Well said. We need some sort of mantra that states "Work smarter, not harder." ... ... or something to this effect. It's just that so very, very much is possible with ZC, but nobody really knows how or why. More tutorials, perhaps? (Something like this would be befitting an inclusion in maybe idontknow's tutorial).