PDA

View Full Version : Something cool to do w/ Subscreens...

idontknow
08-11-2006, 12:38 PM
Maybe many of you probably know this already, but i've realized something awesome you can do now because of having different subscreens per dmap. This means you can now "take away" items--actually items are never lossed. However, you can make a dmap where items you already have, do not appear on the subscreen & therefore cannot be used.

For example, if you don't want the player to be able to use items in houses, like in other Zelda games, you could simply make a dmap for all your houses & then have its subscreen be w/out items (but it would still show the triforce, which even that you could edit nowadays)

Once a more stable release comes out, i hope to make a quest where you can't use items in houses (including the sword) and in certain dungeons, or perhaps have some cut-scenes, it appears as if you lost some items & then you have to solve puzzles or battle your way through the level to get them back!

Dark Nation
08-11-2006, 03:41 PM
You can still use your current item, though. Still a neat idea.

ShadowTiger
08-11-2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah. Let's also consider the L and R item switching buttons. I don't think they'll work when there are no items on the subscreen to switch to, but something to keep in mind anyway.

I'm loving these ideas, IDK. :) I'm going to really try 'em in NeoFirst. ^^;

idontknow
08-11-2006, 06:40 PM
^Hmm...well DN, your the developer--perhaps you may have some ideas as far as "Item Loss" goes??? ;) This has been suggested many times--the ability to lose items (& then regain them later) Or to at least disable its use (besides bubble enemies)

ShadowTiger
08-11-2006, 06:46 PM
Well, I guess, in terms of having only one item that you need to use or have per Dmap, you could perhaps cause an insta-warp to appear by using that item on a secret flag, ...

Say, you pound a stake with a hammer, and it warps you to the Dmap where you can't select any other items. Thus, you're stuck using the hammer and sword for the whole Dmap.

*b*
08-11-2006, 09:07 PM
The only problem with this is, you can't return to that area with other items later on in the game. Like in Metroid Prime: Samus starts off with a full inventory, for the most part, and then later on loses most of it. What if there was a similar idea, and also had the starting area re-visitable with a secret requiring an item obtained in a later level, but the subscreen hat it removed, and not selectable

Other than that, this idea is genius. Though a screen flag or warp flag would be a bit more effecient, this is certainly a step in the right direction

WindStrike
08-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Heh... with this, you really could pull an OoT remake... though that kinda sucks not to have a boomerang as an adult, hehehe.

CJC
08-12-2006, 02:28 PM
You can still use your current item, though. Still a neat idea.

Actually, when there are no items in the subscreen the item you have selected disappears, and you can't use it. I encountered this when a bug changed my normal subscreen into a passive one during the game.
The exception is the sword, as long as the player has it he/she can use it.

I like IDK's idea, though, although it would work better in a 'Windwaker' situation where only certain items are usable against bosses (Or revisited bosses.)

idontknow
08-12-2006, 05:34 PM
^Well, you could make it so only items are usable against certain bosses, by having those bosses be on dmaps with subscreens that don't show certain items.