PDA

View Full Version : Cane of Byrna

idontknow
08-10-2006, 12:53 PM
I think what Cane of Byrna should do is be like a lightening rod. However, you set it up similar to the hookshot: You have a handle & then the parts. The parts are one tile but copied multiple times. When used, you cast it out so it extends until it hits something, but it doesn't retract, nor do you get pulled anywhere.

You simply hold the B button to cast it out & keep it extended. Any enemies that run into its 'chain' (for lack of a better term) get damaged (as much damage as the 3rd sword) and it also triggers a new "Cane of Byrna" flag. When you let go of the B button, the 'lightening' immediately disappears (instead of retracting like the hookshot)

The handle could be the cane itself & then the 'chain' of tiles could be like lightening, or a lazer, or fire, whatever. Oh, and it drains magic rather quickly.

ShadowTiger
08-10-2006, 01:42 PM
http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:flzjiG6jl69m2M:http://mmxz.zophar.net/rpg/zelda/canebyrna.gif

http://images.google.com/images?q=tbn:W0m2VglnNVjSAM:http://zeldauniverse.net/games/z3/items/bcane.gif

Usually, what the Cane of Byrna is, is a rod which will, upon "using" it, cause sparkles to rotate around you in close vicinity to yourself, and you will not lose health while it's on. You won't be bounced back by damage either.

Obviously, what this thread is suggesting is entirely different. Hence, perhaps a quest rule toggling behavior of the Cane would be in order? I think it'd be nice to have an Enemy ZAPKILL effect, don't you agree? :p

idontknow
08-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Well why should we have Nayru's Love & the Cane of Byrna? I think the CoB should be something really unique--a "Zapkill" effect may be pretty cool, but it should have its limits too (like perhaps it uses as much magic as Din's Fire?)

ShadowTiger
08-10-2006, 02:37 PM
Well why should we have Nayru's Love & the Cane of Byrna?Why? :p ... Because we can. ;) :p That's the wonderful thing about it. You can have both. Each can potentially (In the future.) have their own puzzle-solving effects. If we could get an editor that determines how much magic each uses, it'd be wonderful. Personally, I'm inclined to have Nayru's Love be quite a bit less magic, since the effect is short anyway, and you can still be bumped back when hit anyway, therefore disturbing your frenzied time-driven attacks. The Cane of Byrna's invincibility is similar to the clock, only you weren't flashing and nothing was frozen. Enemies would just pass right through you, I think.

Dark Nation
08-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Actually, I believe the Cane of Byrna also attacked enemies that were foolish enough to try melee combat against you while using it.

Nicholas Steel
08-10-2006, 10:05 PM
correct, the cane made a ball of energy circle you and shocked any enemies that touched it... i have my doubts about it preventing you from getting hurt by ranged attacks and walking on hazards. (cape of invisibility protected you from everything but didnt hurt anyone)

erm2003
08-11-2006, 12:30 AM
The cane does protect you from hazards like spikes though. It's another way you can get out of the cave you find it in when playing LttP.

_L_
08-11-2006, 01:40 AM
I think what Cane of Byrna should do is be like a lightening rod. However, you set it up similar to the hookshot: You have a handle & then the parts. The parts are one tile but copied multiple times. When used, you cast it out so it extends until it hits something, but it doesn't retract, nor do you get pulled anywhere.

You simply hold the B button to cast it out & keep it extended. Any enemies that run into its 'chain' (for lack of a better term) get damaged (as much damage as the 3rd sword) and it also triggers a new "Cane of Byrna" flag. When you let go of the B button, the 'lightening' immediately disappears (instead of retracting like the hookshot)

The handle could be the cane itself & then the 'chain' of tiles could be like lightening, or a lazer, or fire, whatever. Oh, and it drains magic rather quickly.

Just for variety's sake, I think this idea should be re-suggested as a new Cane altogether. Hmm... the effect you describe reminds me of the Fire Bars from Super Mario Bros, so how about "Cane of Bowser"? (Yuk, yuk.)

Nicholas Steel
08-11-2006, 05:14 AM
The cane does protect you from hazards like spikes though. It's another way you can get out of the cave you find it in when playing LttP.

never knew that... thanks.

Mega Link
08-11-2006, 08:43 AM
I think the Cane of Byrna should remain as it is. I like L's idea. This suggestion should be put in another cane (or wand). Just not the Cane of Browser. ;)

4matsy
08-13-2006, 04:59 AM
Just for variety's sake, I think this idea should be re-suggested as a new Cane altogether. Hmm... the effect you describe reminds me of the Fire Bars from Super Mario Bros, so how about "Cane of Bowser"? (Yuk, yuk.)

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL no.

I agree with this idea, yes...but I really think the new name should end in A, like Byrna and Somaria do. :p