PDA

View Full Version : Make it so it doesn't overwrite the Custom BG Map

Shoelace
08-09-2006, 04:48 AM
I mentioned this many times:

This is a suggestion I have always asked: A rule that makes it the player doesn't write over the Custom Big Map when you go on it. It sucks because I spend a lot of time making the big map for the players and then it gets writen over. *sigh

AHHH! I know I mentioned it before, but there really needs to be a way to make it so it doesn't overwrite the BG Map. I have a neat little system on my new game, however, the effect is basically ruined when you go into the room and then the path erases it. This needs to be added to Beta 11, because I am going insane...

and people agreed:

WTF... I was just about to post the same thing!

But yeah, it sucks big time when you work hard on a big custom map and then it gets written over by those goddamn stupid boxes... I thought that if I'd change the Big Map Foreground to 00 (transparent) the boxes would be invisible but no... *sighs*

This needs to be added. This was killing me when I was making The Hero of Dreams. And it killing me even more now.

ECNM
08-09-2006, 02:12 PM
Now that I actually know what you're talking about, I second this suggestion. In fact, I defy the laws of science and third, fourth, and fifth it, too. I just started on my first custom big map, and I for one do not want all that work to go for nothing.

ShadowTiger
08-09-2006, 02:34 PM
Agreed. ... ... Hell, ... I think I have an idea! :D

What if we could have the custom map be a FOREGROUND? In other words, you could make your rooms' contents transparent, and nothing else. You'd leave all the little yellow dots (Keys) and red skulls (Bosses or whatever) in there, but they'd be surrounded by transparent pixels. (As a sample...) The background would be <desired color, set in the misc colors area> as would be the background for visited screens.

So, as you go forth, you'd see the background of your individual screens turn from blue to dark blue as you visit them, but the graphics you'd see would remain there, as if they were on the proverbial layer 1 of your subscreen! :D

Shoelace
08-09-2006, 02:52 PM
That would be pretty cool. I like that idea. But, I still would want the the option to have it so it won't be overwritten either way.

ShadowTiger
08-09-2006, 02:59 PM
Okay, what about a Custom Link Icon then? It'd be an animated (If desired.) 16x16 icon which would ... ... well, hm. I mean, what I'm thinking right now, is, ... imagine if you will, the square you're in now being circled, with a "You Are Here" Icon pointing at it. I wonder how we could do such a thing.

Freedom
08-09-2006, 04:00 PM
I like the idea of having a "layer" over your map, but the overwritten part shoelace is talking about would almost need to be a quest rule to keep the originals working right.

ECNM
08-09-2006, 04:12 PM
I like the first idea, personally. The second one provides the problem of: How are people going to know where they have and haven't been?

Freedom
08-09-2006, 04:19 PM
The "layer" is clear, and the rooms visited show up through it