PDA

View Full Version : Gauged my ear, need some help/advice (painkiller for it, mostly)

punkonjunk1024
08-07-2006, 04:20 AM
Alright, so I went from a 22 in my ear, to a 6 in 2 days. It was kind of a stretch.
and I'm not gonna lie, it hurts like hell right now.

What I need to know is -
Will too much hydrogen peroxide dry my ear out?
What the hell can I do to kill the pain? Should I buy some Ibuprofen? Would that help my ear?
It's definately bleeding a bit. Is that a garenteed infection, or will enough peroxide clean that shit up until it heals (and inevitably scars and heals like shit, but honestly, who cares what it looks like when you're ultimate goal is this (http://image.bizrate.com/resize?sq=160&uid=461853966&mid=33863) earring)?
Could I put tooth numbing gel, ambesol, on it, or is that a really stupid idea?

Cepat
08-07-2006, 08:01 AM
You should go visit a General Practicioner...you could have an infection or allergic reaction from an overdose of hydrogen peroxide. Any infection in ear may lead to potential deafness or auditory deficit. Self medication will not eradicate the pain...probably the doctor will diagnose & prescribe suitable antibiotics to reduce the inflammation....but I suspect you may be having otitis media.

moocow
08-07-2006, 08:46 AM
Alright, so I went from a 22 in my ear, to a 6 in 2 days. It was kind of a stretch.
and I'm not gonna lie, it hurts like hell right now.

What I need to know is -
Will too much hydrogen peroxide dry my ear out?
What the hell can I do to kill the pain? Should I buy some Ibuprofen? Would that help my ear?
It's definately bleeding a bit. Is that a garenteed infection, or will enough peroxide clean that shit up until it heals (and inevitably scars and heals like shit, but honestly, who cares what it looks like when you're ultimate goal is this (http://image.bizrate.com/resize?sq=160&uid=461853966&mid=33863) earring)?
Could I put tooth numbing gel, ambesol, on it, or is that a really stupid idea?

Don't use peroxide at all. They even tell you that when you get your ears pierced... it'll dry it out and then you'll get an infection. Think it hurts now? Wait til that happens. Yes, buy ibuprofen, it'll help keep the swelling down and help the pain a little bit. But afterall, you did just stretch the shit out of your ear. However, a 6 isn't really THAT big, mine used to be a 6 too.

I *think* you can use Neosporin, I did on my labret after I got it pierced. Not a lot though, but for fuck's sake, NO PEROXIDE. I take it this is something you did yourself before confiding in a professional? Maybe try calling a local tattoo/piercing parlor. They can let you know exactly what to do to take care of it. Probably just cleaning it with anti-bacterial soap and using Neosporin as needed, if I remember correctly.

Prrkitty
08-07-2006, 12:17 PM
Use neosporin, hydrocortizone cream or Nupricanal ointment for easing pain.

Definately use Advil or an Advil knockoff for pain and inflammation.

Also you might try using some ice to help numb it up. Put whatever ointment/cream/etc that you get ... and then use some ice numb it up.

No offense hon... but use more common sense when you do stuff like this. If the blood that oozes out turns yellow or other yucky colors ... GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM ASAP!!!

punkonjunk1024
08-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Yeah, I know. I'm gonna pull it out if it shows signs of infection.

No peroxide, huh? So would washing it with soap and water in the shower morning/night be good enough?

I can't go to a doctor, or afford a professional, since uh, I'm poor. :)
But yeah, like was said, a 6 isn't that big. I put in a 12, then the next day an 8, then a 6.

Glitch
08-07-2006, 01:55 PM
Don't listen to them. Use peroxide. LOTS of peroxide.

biggiy05
08-07-2006, 02:07 PM
Don't listen to them. Use peroxide. LOTS of peroxide.

Lol.

POJ if you have to go to the ER and you tell them you don't have health insurance they will still admit you. You get a bill later and usually on the back it talks about some law being passed a while back about if you only make so much a year your hospital bill we waived. If you make above the level but below another they will only make you pay so much. At least that is how it was with me. I faxed them my W-2 and then got another bill saying I owe $0.00

punkonjunk1024
08-07-2006, 02:53 PM
Haha, sweet, I'll keep that in mind. I won't go to the ER, prolly immediate care, since ER is roughly 10 times as expensive around here. Actually... I donate plasma on the 10th, and that requires a medical exam for the first time. I could ask the doctor about it, but I don't know if they have that no new piercings rule, if they do, I might be screwed out of 200 bucks a month.
Dont tell them, lolz?

and,
Gee, thanks glitch, I'll do that! Thanks for the great contribution!

Uh, just fyi, it's not swelling at all, and it only hurts when I touch it... but I wear a helmet on my moped which sucks. And it sucked to sleep on. But it feels alot better, so I don't think it's a case of like, my ear rejecting it, and I did use surgical steel for all the gauging.
I put handsoap on it, and it actually felt just fine, I was shocked - I thought it would hurt like hell. *shrug*

moocow
08-07-2006, 03:11 PM
Handsoap is fine, but they suggest you use unscented. I only suggest that you contact a professional and ask them how to take care of your ears, is all.

Beldaran
08-07-2006, 03:53 PM
What the hell can I do to kill the pain?

Hmmm... I don't know. Maybe you could STOP PUNCTURING YOURSELF WITH METAL OBJECTS.

punkonjunk1024
08-07-2006, 04:09 PM
I know a guy who works at a piercing shop, and he said it'd be fine if I pulled it out if I got an infection, but it's pretty common for people's ears to bleed when they get gauged this fast. He also said it'd be fine as long as I keep it clean.

..He was fired from the tatoo/piercing place though, for some unknown reason, so he may not be the best person to ask. *shrug*

moocow
08-07-2006, 04:16 PM
He's right, if it gets infected just take it out and continue to clean it about twice a day. Since to gauged it so fast, you're more likely to get an infection. Just take care of it and you'll be fine...

And I know this because instead of going to my classes when I was in college, I hung out at a tattoo/piercing shop with my friend...s o yeah.

lord_jamitossi
08-07-2006, 10:30 PM
What you should do, and this is from experience (I got my ears pierced 2 years ago with a safety pin and put in some nice 8 gages the next day :) ) :

1- The sleeping on it thing you will get used to. I don't even notice mine anymore.
2- What I do whenever they get infected (like my left one is RIGHT NOW) is take them out once every 2 days or so (more often if they're new) and kinda swab them in peroxide. DO NOT USE Q-TIPS in any case, the fuzz will come off inside your ear and that's just gonna make things worse. Kleenex work well.
3- Spin them (assumed that they're round, if they're not, you're kinda screwed) fairly often so that as your ears heal, they won't just get ripped apart again when you take them out. This way the earrings should just slide out. Any resistance is kinda not a very good thing.
4- DON'T DO IT AGAIN. Use stretchers (the cone-shaped ones) if you want to make a huge jump again. Stepping up so quickly just messes up your ears more than anything.
5- I've found that liquids (e.g. rubbing alchool, peroxide) work better than creams, just because of the tinyness of what you're trying to do.
6- At worst, take them out and wait a few days, mabye just putting them in for a minute or two once in a while. The holes won't completely close up but they should heal quicker without some foreign object punched through them.

Now, if you're going to listen to all this crap about not using peroxide, rubbing alcohol is an option too. It stings a little bit more, but does the trick. Soap is good when they seem normal to PREVENT an infection; it doesn't do much to cure them though.

moocow
08-07-2006, 11:28 PM
Now, if you're going to listen to all this crap about not using peroxide, rubbing alcohol is an option too. It stings a little bit more, but does the trick. Soap is good when they seem normal to PREVENT an infection; it doesn't do much to cure them though.

Hi, crap what? Peroxide just dries it out, I'm telling you. What the fuck, just because it worked for you doesn't mean it will for everyone.

I'll admit I was wrong on the Neosporin, but I did say I wasn't sure. However, taken directly from the place that pierced my labret, my sister's belly button, and many of my friends...

Your piercing needs to be thoroughly cleaned at least twice a day. Don’t use a variety of cleaning agents or problems will arise. What we found , is Liquid Dial is by far the best cleanser.

The cleaning procedure for body piercings is best performed in the shower, or where you have a good supply of fresh running water.

Wash your hands thoroughly, this is a must!!

Remove any “crusties” that have dried on the jewelry and around the piercing with warm water. Dried blood, body fluids, and serous fluids that dry on your new piercing must be completely removed before you start to clean your new piercing. It is very important that none of this dried discharge matter gets back into the piercing.

Lather Liquid Dial and gently clean the jewelry and let the water run on it. Turn the jewelry so the soap and water can get inside the piercing.

Rinse the jewelry and opening thoroughly with water turning the jewelry. Make sure that you remove all traces of the soap from the piercing, skin and the jewelry. To speed healing time you may try any of the following:

Take a 50mg zinc supplement daily and vitamin C.

A hot soak of 1 cup hot water with 1 tsp. sea salt. Make sure the salt is completely dissolved.

Keep your clothes clean. If your piercing is always touching dirty clothes problems will arise.

Don’t put special beads or charms on your jewelry until after the initial healing time.

Don’t change your jewelry until after the initial healing time.

NEVER USE ALCOHOL, PEROXIDE, OR BETADINE TO CLEAN YOUR NEW PIERCING. DO NOT USE NEOSPORIN, TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT OR ANY GEL BASED CLEANER CAN DELAY HEALING. These are oil based products that block air from getting to you piercing and increase healing time. Do not over clean. Many people think that if cleaning once or twice a day is good then six or seven is better. WRONG. Clean your piercing only once or twice a day.

Approximate Healing Times:

Earlobes 6-8 wks

Ear Cartilage 3-5 months

Nostril and Septum 3-6 months

Navel and Nipples 6 months

Eyebrow, Tongue, Labret and Lip 3 months

Oral piercings need to be cleaned twice a day with a mild mouthwash and Gly-Oxide. Gly-Oxide can be purchased at any pharmacy and drug store. For the first month you must also rinse out the piercing after you smoke or eat. If you are a heavy smoker you might find that just rinsing out with salt water might work best. In addition, it is a must that you refrain from oral sex and deep mouth kissing until after the initial healing time.

Wash your hands thoroughly, this is a must.

Put two drops of Gly-Oxide on the jewelry and work it around the piercing.

Spit out any remaining Gly-Oxide and check to make sure that if you have threaded jewelry that the threading is still tight.

punkonjunk1024
08-08-2006, 04:31 AM
Lord J -
I used tapers, which would be synonomous to stretchers. They're just called tapers round these parts.

If rubbing alcohol will serve the purpose as well as/better than handsoap, I'd love that. The sting of rubbing alcohol doesn't feel nearly as bad as most people crack it up to be, I don't mind it at all, and it goes away much faster than using shitty soaps at work, or gas stations. I clean it alot. :)

Moocow - Good thing I didn't buy some neosporin, huh? :P
I guess I prolly shouldn't clean it so much. The crusty shit on the earing bugs me, though.

I'm considering a tongue piercing (AND YES, my tongue/anti-eyebrow, ect, anything but my ears will ALWAYS be done by a professional)... so...
"In addition, it is a must that you refrain from oral sex and deep mouth kissing until after the initial healing time."
Seriously, would that mean a guy shouldn't give a chick oral? Because that's stupid.

And it also sounds like, from that, alcohol is also a bad idea, so I think I'll stick with handsoap.

moocow
08-08-2006, 07:45 AM
Moocow - Good thing I didn't buy some neosporin, huh? :P
I guess I prolly shouldn't clean it so much. The crusty shit on the earing bugs me, though.

I'm considering a tongue piercing (AND YES, my tongue/anti-eyebrow, ect, anything but my ears will ALWAYS be done by a professional)... so...
"In addition, it is a must that you refrain from oral sex and deep mouth kissing until after the initial healing time."
Seriously, would that mean a guy shouldn't give a chick oral? Because that's stupid.

And it also sounds like, from that, alcohol is also a bad idea, so I think I'll stick with handsoap.

Hey, I said "I *think*". I wasn't positive :p

And, they only want you to refrain from that until it heals... to keep it from getting infection and suchness. Durrrr :p

Lilith
08-08-2006, 08:33 AM
How about you don't do things to your body that obviously can pose health risks when you don't have the option to go to a doctor, nurrrrr

biggiy05
08-08-2006, 09:30 AM
How about you don't do things to your body that obviously can pose health risks when you don't have the option to go to a doctor, nurrrrr

duurrurrrr, nurrrrrr, and errrrrr. Yeah that was wasn't funny.:(

I don't know if immediate care or urgent care as it's called over here works the same. I'm pretty sure you have to pay the whole bill because I got a bill for $4 after I had to go for my hands earlier this year. The insurance that I had then paid all but $4.....wtf?

lord_jamitossi
08-08-2006, 10:30 AM

Or you could always just move to Canada where these things are free...

So apparently peroxide doesn't work. Many people seem to have proven this, but it's new to me. Figures, my brother pierced mine with a safety pin, as I said before.

One more piece of advice: if you're going to clean them in the shower (good idea), put in the plug. It sucks to loose an earring down the drain.

Verman
08-08-2006, 11:32 AM
just heat up a 6gauge syringe till its glowing red and stick it in the hole. Then use rubbing alcohol. repeat if itches.

edit: actully i don't know if this is any help or anything but are you allergic to metal? I can't wear ear rings or watchs that are metal unless they are 100% stainless steel... no cheap shit. I know thats not what your asking but make sure your new earring will actully be able to be worn.

mikeron
08-08-2006, 12:43 PM
Admit it, you're making an eargina.

Archibaldo
08-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Ah the wonderful advice from the M.D.s of AGN.

My advice. Walk it off.

biggiy05
08-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Ah the wonderful advice from the M.D.s of AGN.

My advice. Walk it off.

You saying my professional medical opinion from the university of b.s. isn't good enough Archibaldo?:D

Just out of sheer curiosity. What is the point of stretching your ear lobe so far apart that you can stick your hand through?

Prrkitty
08-08-2006, 02:07 PM
I've read thru each post... and did I miss something about not using neosporin?

moocow
08-08-2006, 02:41 PM
I said that I thought he might have been able to use it, but it turns out that he shouldn't because it slows down the healing time.

NEVER USE ALCOHOL, PEROXIDE, OR BETADINE TO CLEAN YOUR NEW PIERCING. DO NOT USE NEOSPORIN, TRIPLE ANTIBIOTIC OINTMENT OR ANY GEL BASED CLEANER CAN DELAY HEALING. These are oil based products that block air from getting to you piercing and increase healing time. Do not over clean. Many people think that if cleaning once or twice a day is good then six or seven is better. WRONG. Clean your piercing only once or twice a day.

punkonjunk1024
08-08-2006, 02:45 PM
Hey, I said "I *think*". I wasn't positive :p

And, they only want you to refrain from that until it heals... to keep it from getting infection and suchness. Durrrr :p

Well that's horrible. She's a military lady, so I guess I'll wait until she gets deployed for a while... or MOS school, or whatever. :(
That still sucks, though.

Admit it, you're making an eargina.
OHSHI-
How'd you guess?
Actually, with the catastrophically small size of my own weiner, I could probobly use it once I get it to a 4.

I was actually talking to some friends about whether or not they'd have sex with a hot chick's guaged ear if she wanted it. The general consensus was pretty much NO.

And no, I'm not alergic to metal, again, no swelling, and no reddening. It doesn't hurt anymore btw, besides hitting it and pressing on it hard. Back when they were normal sized, I've had a range of earring from cheap, dirty nickel to a cactus thorn for a while. I got 10 bucks for putting that stupid thing in my ear. :)

Just out of sheer curiosity. What is the point of stretching your ear lobe so far apart that you can stick your hand through?
I seriously think that's disgusting. I'm stretching it to put the earring I linked to in my first post into it, because that earring is freaking sweet.
People with 2 inch holes in their ears... are retarded. I just think that looks disgusting.

Gerudo
08-08-2006, 03:42 PM
i find it funny that just because you potentially dont like someone, that you'd give "advice" that could pose serious risks to their health.

as far as being on-topic goes: i have no advice to offer that hasnt been given, nor do i have experience with piercings.

Prrkitty
08-08-2006, 07:05 PM
ahhhh... thanks Mooie :)

punkonjunk1024
08-21-2006, 11:38 PM
alright, it's now comfortably at a 4, and the other three holes in my ear at a 14, done with a 3 tiny tapers.
They did not split or bleed at all, and the larger hole is almost healed. Thanks alot for the advice, it all helped out alot. :)

moocow
08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
No problem.

I just got an industrial, if anyone cares.

OH YES, HOLES IN THE EAR.

I thought about gauging my ears again, but nothing bigger than a 6 or 8, because that's what it was before, and it didn't look all crazy and huge. But I dunno. Hmm.

Breaker
08-23-2006, 10:39 PM
Rub peanut butter and dirt into it.

punkonjunk1024
08-24-2006, 05:10 PM
you hate me, but I loooove you. :)