PDA

View Full Version : Laptops that turn into torches

Darth Marsden
08-05-2006, 06:01 AM
I quote, not from a website, but from the Daily Telegraph, which came complete with a lovely picture that I sadly am unable to show. But still, it's a cool story.

Scattered reports of Del laptops bursting into flames have been emerging from around the world, but none more dramatic than the computer that ignited several boxes of ammunition and left a Ford truck burnt out.
Packing up after a fishing trip in Nevada, Thomas Forqueran, 63, put his Dell Inspiration laptop on the floor of his car, only to see flames emerging from the truck minutes later. He said: "Flames were shooting about three feet out the window. I ran to the driver's side door and the flames were rushing at me and the three boxes of bullets in the glove compartment."
He and a friend ran for cover as the bullets shot past them. The truck and everything in it was destroyed in the subsequent fuel explosion.
Last week in Illinois, office workers were evacuated and the fire brigade called when another Dell laptop burst into flames after just half an hour plugged into a docking station. One employee sat next to the volatile piece of hardware said: "I heard a small 'pouf' and a couple of cracking noises, then a hissing noise that sounded like a flare going off."
Onlookers said the laptop burst into flames eight to 10 inches tall. When fire extinguishers failed to put out the blaze someone ripped the still burning laptop out of the docking station and through it out of the window.
In late May a machine caught fire at a business conference in Japan where is was captured on a bystander's camera phone. A spokesman for Dell said "Obviously we do take [these incidents] quite seriously. We are investigating them. We have been in contact with the customer in Illanois and are confirming details."
In all three cases the battery is believed to have caused the fire. Eric Ross, an analyst at the US research house Think Equity, said: "It's not a good situation but if it as something actually designed into the laptop it would be a lot worse. A battery is relatively easily swapped out."

Nicholas Steel
08-05-2006, 06:23 AM
already read about this and peoples opinions on a story similar to this.

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7533

Aegix Drakan
08-05-2006, 09:21 AM
0_0

and I thought the XBOX 360 was a fire hazard :sweat:

lord_jamitossi
08-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Holy shit!

I just got a laptop, we were seriously considering getting a Dell. We didnt in the end, we went with an Acer, mainly because that's what they guy in the computer store told my dad to get. My dad's pretty influencable. It's a good computer though.

But geze, I thought we were past the age of things accidentally spontaneously combusting...

Darth Marsden
08-05-2006, 11:18 AM
The problem is the laptops are overheating. There's simply too much going on 'under the hood', as it were. Anything more then 4Ghz and this has a chance, however slim, of happening.

I'm sure everyone here on the boards is OK, but if the worst does happen... pictures plz. ;)

Saffith
08-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I imagine it's a major problem for companies like Dell that people want computers that are powerful and full-featured, but still cheap. They have to cut back somewhere, and quality is less obvious than quantity. But then they end up with cases like these...

Dechipher
08-05-2006, 02:11 PM
I'm using a Dell right now, but in a week I'm getting a MAC for school, so it's all good.

lord_jamitossi
08-05-2006, 03:01 PM
"I heard a small 'pouf' and a couple of cracking noises, then a hissing noise that sounded like a flare going off."

I would hate, hate, HATE to have to say that about something like a laptop. But the way he says it... I would have liked to see it myself.

Secondly,

""Flames were shooting about three feet out the window. I ran to the driver's side door and the flames were rushing at me and the three boxes of bullets in the glove compartment."

1- Once again, I would like to have seen this. Three-foot flames are cool.
2- Is it considered normal for people in Nevada to have three boxes of bullets in their glove compartements? I have a couple maps and mabye a CD or two in mine.

Solaris_Omega
08-05-2006, 06:10 PM
I would hate, hate, HATE to have to say that about something like a laptop. But the way he says it... I would have liked to see it myself.

Secondly,

1- Once again, I would like to have seen this. Three-foot flames are cool.
2- Is it considered normal for people in Nevada to have three boxes of bullets in their glove compartements? I have a couple maps and mabye a CD or two in mine.

I found this

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/07/28/dude_your_dell_just_.html

I guess thats what Dell gets for passing off their low cost "new" machines even though there made from refurbished parts <-- that really is true

Archibaldo
08-08-2006, 01:07 PM
Heh, I too was actually considering getting a Dell for school. It funny because so many people brag about how great Dell's are and how they're the "Ferrari" of computers. But if it can go up in flames just by lying on the floor of a truck, it may not be safe to use in a class room full of people.

likesallusions
08-10-2006, 12:27 PM
We also almost got a Dell, but got a Gateway instead. It's really nice. *whew:sweat:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pBKqX_V_jRg

I dug this up on youtube, and it was the only one of the ones I searched that seemed authentic.

Breaker
08-10-2006, 01:22 PM
It's an extremely small percentage of defective batteries, not necessarily just Dell. All lithium-ion batteries can potentially "blow up". You have a better chance winning the lottery than you would buying a laptop from Dell that would explode. Do yourselves a favor and stop buying into bullshit, pls. Kthx.

Eckels
08-10-2006, 05:59 PM
I could have told you that this was all a hoax from the get-go. Re-read the original post. Whats wrong with it?

Rednecks don't even know how to use computers, duh.

Dogchew9
08-15-2006, 11:50 PM
I have a question. A simple question yes, but a challenging one still. Was the laptop combusting in the ammo truck a coincidence, or an act of terrorism?

Darth Marsden
08-16-2006, 06:23 AM
Ha! Nice one, DC9.

Apparently Dell are issuing their biggest recall yet on their laptops. Interesting...

AtmaWeapon
08-16-2006, 11:33 PM
Heh, I too was actually considering getting a Dell for school. It funny because so many people brag about how great Dell's are and how they're the "Ferrari" of computers. But if it can go up in flames just by lying on the floor of a truck, it may not be safe to use in a class room full of people.Laptops have been nasty things to hold in your lap for the past few years. I read a study about a year ago that linked excessive laptop use to impotence (apparently high temperatures near the balls decreases sperm production) though I do not suffer burns from my old Inspiron anymore because there's this little tray thing with fans on it that I sit it on.

It's not really surprising to me that occasionally defective batteries lead to fire. It's a small box with poor ventilation and you are shoving some electronics that get pretty warm in there. One of the things I've noticed that a lot of "exploding laptop" stories have in common are people placing laptops on the bed, carpet, or anywhere else that blocks the ventilation fans. Bad idea. (Though Dell could make it better by not installing the fans on the bottom of the laptop -- my mother had a Latitude with a fan on the bottom that had about 3mm of clearance from the ground on a solid surface; on carpet it was completely obstructed.)

Anyway, this (http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/29/acers-ferrari-5000-and-1000-hit-the-streets/) is the Ferrari of computers. Not a Dell.

Darth Marsden
08-17-2006, 05:57 AM
Ooo... I want one of those. 'cause it's black. Like my soul.

Official website for the Dell recall. (https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/) See, told you I was right.