PDA

View Full Version : Quest Rule - can walk sideways off stepladder

_L_
08-04-2006, 07:39 AM
The Zelda 1 implementation of the stepladder is such that once you place it down, you can only walk to the space on the other side of it, and not to any spaces next to the ladder. Consider this:

x1x
xx2
x0x

x - water
0, 1, 2 - walkable

With the Zelda 1 stepladder, if Link starts at 0 he can only use the stepladder to reach 1. With this proposed Quest Rule, he could reach both 1 and 2 using the stepladder.

Nicholas Steel
08-04-2006, 09:29 AM
a better example would be

x1x
2x3
x0x

from 0 walk up onto x (which is water) then walk in any of 4 directions.

ShadowTiger
08-04-2006, 10:22 AM
I think this is how they did it in BS-Zelda. I'm not sure though. Yes, it'd be interesting, but you'd also lose a lot of Puzzle-Variability that way. People do absolutely make puzzles where you can only cross parallel to the ladder. If you could cross both parallel and perpendicular to the ladder while on it, you'd lose that ability.

Hence the "Quest Rule" as mentioned.

At the very least, however, the full range of motion on the ladder would be nice. Particularly if you step on the ladder horizontally. You have two vertical rows of space you can walk on, but you can only walk on the 16x8 pixel space you've stepped onto. :shrug: It'd be nice to have the whole 16x16 ladder to walk on when walking horizontally.

Nicholas Steel
08-04-2006, 10:27 AM
have it as a "current screen" option as well?

Limzo
08-04-2006, 04:03 PM
What if you could in any direction and the ladder lets you go over. Obviously it would not work well with your idea L (weird, that's my nickname in most places, and here I am calling someone it)

Like this:

x = Ladder over combo (is there a combo that does this besides water?)
1 = Where ladder appears
2 = Where ladder leads you to
0 = Link

x2x
x1x
x0x <- North

xxx
xxx <- East

x0x
x1x
x2x <- South

xxx
xxx <- West

Nicholas Steel
08-05-2006, 02:33 AM
i think that both Limzo, ST, franpa and L have good ideas. (maybe implement them all?)

Limzo
08-05-2006, 11:14 AM
i think that both Limzo, ST, franpa and L have good ideas. (maybe implement them all?)
Sorry to correct you but the word BOTH only applies when you have TWO nouns to talk about. Why not say, "I think that all of Limzo, ST, L and I have good ideas. (Maybe implement them all?)"

Yes, personally I think that they're all good ideas also.

We should be able to jump over combos other than water combos though because then we'd be able to do jumping off cliffs and the like if you combined it with my idea.

In mine we'd have combos:
Ladder up
Ladder down
Ladder left
Ladder right.

erm2003
08-05-2006, 11:16 AM
I am thinking that if this was implemented it would definately be better as a screen option instead of a quest rule. I am thinking that a quest rule may mess up certain areas where this type of movement may not be wanted, like in certains areas of the overworld. Or if a room is designed that doesn't need that movement (like a dungeon room that just has one vertical row of water tiles) then the rule doesn't need to be in effect. But this is definately a neat idea.

Nicholas Steel
08-05-2006, 09:02 PM
thats why i suggested having it as a screen option as well as a quest option... quest rule. (screen option dynamically changes according to what the quest rule is set to)

ShadowTiger
08-05-2006, 09:43 PM
Yeah, just like the Diving QuestRule/ScreenFlag. It's a toggle, really. I love those that works. It even goes deep down enough to give each quest designer their own preference on whether they want the player to dive more or not dive more, yet still allowing each. 'tis brilliant good sirs.