PDA

View Full Version : BELPs and MREs!

DarkFlameWolf
08-03-2006, 02:08 PM
As some may know, I left recently to go to BOT (basic officer training) for the US Air Force. Well I've been gone for almost a month, but thankfully there is still time in the evenings (and occasionally like right now, during the day) to check up the internet on a computer. So I thought I'd just share with you a little bit of what I'm going through. For those who have had similar experiences or gone through any sort of military training, feel free to add your own experiences to the topic.

All this morning we were out in the field for BELPs. (don't know what the acryonm means other than that B = Base and L = Leadership) Anyhoo, we were bussed out to a wide-open field with tons of markers, logs, ropes, M-16 guns, etc. There was NO shade and tons of fire ant hills and chiggers (little bugs that burrow under the skin and make a nest, not cool). Regardless, we were assigned 6 tasks where members of our unit in each task were either injured or had a role to play that we had to work around to solve the task. In addition we were given Talon knowledge questions and if we got it right, we were give one compass heading (eg. 300 degrees, 50 yards), if we got it wrong, we were given another compass heading which would NOT lead us to the next marker and clue where to go. So it was triple duty: Know your knowledge to get the correct heading, utilize the compass and navigate the terrain to the next marker, use your leadership skills to solve the current 'problem' in how to complete the mission at hand. It was blazing hot, we were crawling through the grass a few times and none of our groups fully finished a mission, some were just floundering. I did all right though, according to the teacher. I was at first a hesistant leader and from an objective view, no one would have been able to tell who the leader was in my group. But once we got going, I started picking up confidence and did well, although our mission was not completed.
Afterwards, what made it worse, we all sat underneath a set-up tent out on the field, and we dived into boxes for MRE packages. (Meals Ready to Eat) Its basically a self-contained package of 'food' that you must prepare on the spot. For example, I had to rip open my bag (hard to do with sweaty, slimy hands) Once opened, I received more packages inside consisting of: Crackers (very dry), Strawberry Jam (for the crackers, but I promptly threw out since it was too messy), Molasses Cookie (blech!), Bag full of sugar; cream; towelettes; and apple cider (of all things), a pouch of dried vanilla milk-shake mix (had to insert a 1/4 canteen of water and shake up the pouch and then drink it straight out of the pouch) and finally the main meal: Chicken noodles! Basically, you take the small pouch with chicken noodles, place it in a MRE heating pouch, pour a small amount of water in it to cause a HEATING chemical reaction, quickly seal it and set it aside. Let it cook for 5 mins and then try to figure out how to open the damn thing while its burning your fingers. Once open, you take a spoon, and just dig into the pouch of chicken and noodles and eat.
All in all, MREs suck! They are not the funnest things to eat or figure out how to eat. What is also not cool is that I have to do this all over again tomorrow morning and monday morning. So more BELPs and lord help me, more MREs! And what makes it worse is that you are basically getting a russian roulette with the MREs. Since they are unmarked on the outside, you do not know what you're going to get until you open it. So there was a lot of trading going on between OTs. Hopefully I get something just as good, if not better than what I had today. But once back, a nice quick shower was all I needed to get dry. Because I was sweaty as heck and filthy. I finally had to bust out my 'display' BDU (battle dress uniform) and wear that for the rest of the day, because there was no way I was going to wear the ones I used this morning. (although I will re-wear them for tomorrow morning and monday)
So there is BELPs and just a small taste of what is to come later in the 12 week course. I've been assured there will be worse exercises to come, so this should prepare me for them, right? Right? Right....

ShadowTiger
08-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Sounds like you're doing alright for yourself out there, DFW. :) I know hardier people thank you who would have saw the chiggers and anthills and would have been too unwilling to proceed past the inefficient terrain and ants and such. Plus, I think I may have eaten a few of those MRE's last year. The description sounds similar, if not identical, to them. I didn't think they were that bad. :p XD (The hungry don't care what they eat...)

Idea idea how much more of this you need to endure?

Freedom
08-03-2006, 02:52 PM
You'll probably eat worse, and be in a worse environment if you ever get deployed, which I'm sure you will.
Chiggers are bad but they beat scorpions.
I still have some splotches on my ankles that look like blood blisters that I got from chiggers about 30 years ago.

When I was in we got c rations, I swear they were left over from WWII.
MRE's aren't bad at all, overall, I don't remember ever trying the noodles but they have a beef steak that's eatable, and spagetti, and a few others that are really pretty good all things considered.
NEVER throw your jelly away, are you nuts?
that and the peanut butter are the only two things that taste like real food. ;)

Good luck and be careful. ;)

rocksfan13
08-03-2006, 03:06 PM
Oh yes, there is plenty more to come. Speeking as a NAVY man myself. I've been through some pretty tough stuff. The worst was the confidence chamber. Its a room that you walk into with a gas mask. Yes it is what you're thinking. They release some tear gas in the room and after a little while they tell you to take off the mask. And you must breathe. You can't believe how many people actually tried to hold their breath. Well, I did it and I came out, and mind you it was the middle of winter, they asked me to resite my ssn and last name before they let me walk it off. So I had to stand there, freezing, snot hanging from my nose, freezing and answer them. Needless to say, don't think I would want to do that again.

I remember going through the survival rations that are supplied on ships. Did you know that all they give you is gum and jolly ranchers? The jolly ranchers were pretty good.

Aegix Drakan
08-03-2006, 10:19 PM
good luck Darkflamewolf. I hope your luck picks up. I fear the worst is yet to come!

It's times like this that I'm glad that I'm a pacifist. :P

I remember going through the survival rations that are supplied on ships. Did you know that all they give you is gum and jolly ranchers? The jolly ranchers were pretty good.

jolly ranchers? yum...

wait...that's ALL you get to eat on survival rations? @_@ that's...not a lot to eat...:scared:

rocksfan13
08-03-2006, 11:48 PM
They say there is ample enough nutrients in them to last you for at least a week. Interesting.

Brasel
08-04-2006, 02:36 PM
Ah, officer of the (ch)airforce. Good job. You'll get used to the MRE's...maybe, maybe not. I doubt you guys will do field missions and excericizes like we do. MRE's are great until you've been eating them for three weeks straight. Hope you enjoy yourself, and if I ever meet you, I won't call you ma'am. ;) Just a little friendly competitive BSing.

Hoo-ah!

And also...I wish we could have used the internet during basic. Do you get your weekends off too? Do the (ch)airmen who train you treat you like shit? I'm really kind of interested to see how the airforce differs from the army. Granted, I'm enlisted, but I've heard stories from OTC (officer training course).

DarkFlameWolf
08-04-2006, 03:40 PM
Yes, the first few weeks we were treated like shit and were yelled at and ordered around. Basically to see if we would break and to get us into the 'mode' of the military. And we do field exercises, BELPs was one of them. We finished up this morning. And furthermore, the final exercise, as I've heard, is a 4 day, 3 night 'mock' deployment in the nearby woods where you deploy as a wing to overcome some 'obstacle' for 4 days. Interesting stuff. Also can't wait to get to the confidence course.

Brasel
08-05-2006, 02:21 AM
We were treated like shit the entire time we were in training. I might attempt to have a more sober conversationj with yhou a couple weeks later or so when you get into your advanced training or your unit. Good luck DGW, even though the chairforce is not hardcorps.

Freedom
08-05-2006, 03:27 AM
Do they still allow physical contact between the DI's and trainee's?
I was in during the wind down of nam (Army) and they had POW training for two weeks during Basic, where they beat the hell out of you.
I heard they cut all that out a few years back.

redmage777
08-06-2006, 09:39 PM
I went threw the "Enlisted" version of Army Basic training, It really wasen't as bad as the movies make it out to be, but on the other hand the fact that you are there and it is real in a way makes it worse. I never did master push ups and was issued a chapter 2 medical discharge durring what would have been the last week. Apperently, I was deamed unfit for combat due to a history of A.D.D. To sum it up I would get distracted an phase the Drill Sergent Out, and when told to "beat my face" I only caused to man more frustration. So naturaly he let me have the full brunt of it before letting me go.

They still do the gas chamber, but the POW camp was not being done when I was there, Much to the disapointment of my Drill Sergent I'm sure.

Brasel
08-06-2006, 10:55 PM
If a drill sergeant hits a soldier, he'll be in a world of trouble now...

Skulkraken
08-07-2006, 01:36 AM
A couple of my family members are in the Army, so they occasionally bring home MREs. They weren't all that bad, and I heard that some new dishes would be introduced in the near future.

Do any of you have any opinions about enrolling in the Air Force Academy? When I was a junior, they offered me a chance to drop out of high school and enroll in the Academy instead. Upon graduating, I'd immediately have the rank and pay of a second lieutenant, along with an internship at a company of my choice (my recruiter told me he was a beta tester at Microsoft). I turned it down, but the offer still stands, at least until I turn 22. The lieutenant who was telling me about the school made it sound like a party school, honestly. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me whether this is true or not.

Freedom
08-07-2006, 02:27 AM
A couple of my family members are in the Army, so they occasionally bring home MREs. They weren't all that bad, and I heard that some new dishes would be introduced in the near future.

Do any of you have any opinions about enrolling in the Air Force Academy? When I was a junior, they offered me a chance to drop out of high school and enroll in the Academy instead. Upon graduating, I'd immediately have the rank and pay of a second lieutenant, along with an internship at a company of my choice (my recruiter told me he was a beta tester at Microsoft). I turned it down, but the offer still stands, at least until I turn 22. The lieutenant who was telling me about the school made it sound like a party school, honestly. I was wondering if anyone here could tell me whether this is true or not.

Get it all in writting.

If a drill sergeant hits a soldier, he'll be in a world of trouble now...

During the pow training we had to duck walk everywhere we went for the full two weeks, at one point the D.I. came up behind me and kicked me in the side of the head, I thought my ear was toast for good.
On top of that it was raining and muddy so when I hit the ground my eyes got filled with mud so then I couldn't see, and that made the sob madder than ever.
That was 30 years ago, and If I saw him today I still shoot him.